Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas Day at home or on the Piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to have my third skiing Christmas this year Smile It is amazing for me to be in the mountains and get to ski on Christmas Day. This year will be the first year in a long time that I am not cooking Christmas Dinner, which I'm a bit sad about really. But, I will probably get more skiing time as a result Very Happy Very Happy (lets hope no one needs their 'Rep' on Christmas Day!! LOL)

One day I plan to get my family out for Christmas week but I'm the only skier in the family and I think only my brother and my sisters kids will actually take to skiing. Which leaves my Dad, my Sister and my Sister in Law starting Apres early - not that I think they will mind that too much LOL Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27 wrote:
SAM : It's in my daughter's handwriting!!

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We only skied Christmas day once, loved it and would do it again if I had the chance, but am usually at work til 5 on Christmas Eve.

BTW it's called "Criggy" now, not Crimble. Pay attention at the back.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We can only ski during school holidays as well as Jnr being at school the OH teaches. We try and avoid half term so it generally leaves Christmas hols and Easter. Used to go for New Year but the last couple of years it hasn't fallen well with school return dates so we've gone at Christmas. If we can help it I think we'll ski every Christmas from now on.

None of the silly shopping hassle to make sure the cupboards are full of stuff that won't get eaten (when we're at home we always end up hosting the family!). Always have a great time skiing. We end up saving a fair whack of money compared to going a week later, partly due to the difference in cost for the holiday, but also due to the fact we're not filling the cupboards up with stuff that won't get eaten!

It probably helps that I live close to all my family, so see them all a fair amount anyway. So Christmas day is less about getting the family together (we usually have everyone over at New Year anyway).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 12-11-12 14:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Annie,
Quote:

One of the (many) things I love about the alps at Xmas is the lack of excess.

Couldn't agree more Annie, there's none of that ridiculous panic buying in supermarkets that you get at home, anyone would think the shops were shut for a month, not a day, with people queueing to get into the car park for ages. I went to the Coop in Sion the day before Christmas Eve last year and it was like any other day, none of that frantic excess. The turkeys are a bit small though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never done xmas on the slopes but would love to. Used to go abroad over xmas most years as a kid and love xmas away. Boyfriend 'has' to do xmas at home with his family tho so unless they stop making such a big deal out of xmas I'm stuck in the UK unless I ditch him nad go on my own snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kat.ryb, you just have to 'bite the bullet' and do it once. The family will get over it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kat.ryb, my girlfriend is the same, but seeing as I can cope without seeing my family we have done a deal. Moved xmas to just before new year and do all the festivities in one go.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We'll be in St Anton and I can't wait. Will be Facetiming parents but 12 days off work and there's only one place to be IMO.

Great time to be in the Alps, quiet and chilled skiing, hopefully great powder too!

One of my best recollections early one Christmas Day to see a bunch of French kids standing below the Tommeuses lift in EK with a letter on each of them, on a bin-liner J, L, O etc,..... was only when they all jumped backwards into the powder and it read "Joyeux Noel", just brilliant and made me laugh!! Happy days!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We love Christmas on the piste, but it's still a proper Christmas even if it a bit of a challenge to cook a full roast turkey dinner in an oven 14 inches square. I take the pudding with me. When the kids were small we got them making paper snowflake decorations, paper chains, we take stockings and gifts (small-in size- only) and have tree and baubles in our ski locker. We are still tied to school holidays so it still makes sense. A Christmassy DVD, plenty of wine etc and it is lovely. And on Christmas day the pistes are so quiet! The other good reason to go away is not having to upset at least one set of inlaws because we are seeing the other...!
Last Christmas we decided to ski at new year, so were at home for Christmas, so everyone came to us. It's even more of a challenge cooking dinner for 20 on a proper cooker and stopping them all from killing each other...phew!
I suppose we are lucky in that our parents are all well and that we both have siblings who like to spend Christmas with our parents. They got over us going away most years ages ago. M y parents are skiers (still, at 79) maybe that helps?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have spent the last 3 Christmases in the mountains and this year my son begged me to organise something so he could avoid going to his in-laws again (!) so am taking the entire family, children, grandchildren and my brother who lives in Mexico with his wife who has never seen real snow! Should be fun - and expensive!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowyowl, my 14" square oven did put a bit of a spanner in the works, mainly because of unreliable temperature more than anything else. I wouldn't have cooked a turkey anyway as I don't like it, but always managed something roasted. It has now been replaced with a proper full-size one.
None of our parents ski/skied, but having our own place sort of made it easier to be away for Christmas, although last year was a bit fraught as both of J's parents were ill, particularly his Dad, and we were ready to come home at least twice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Much prefer to be in the mountains. BUT I fail to see why anyone who is having Christmas in the UK feels constrained to eat and drink far too much and watch the telly. Switch the telly off, have a good meal in the evening, and get out. Go walking, go surfing. In 1997 we rented a small youth hostel on the top of a Cornish cliff and had a family Christmas get together with rellies from Australia and southern Africa. We overlooked a beautiful bay which had some good surf on Christmas Day. There were loads of surfers in the sea. We did walks (we were lucky, it was freezing cold and sunny, unusual for Christmas in Cornwall), the kids chatted, played card, went to the pub. There wasn't a telly.

The choice doesn't have to be between gorgeous days skiing in the Alps or a Royle Family style slobout in front of the wretched telly in the UK. Nor does there have to be an orgy of spending and present-buying. We now have an almost complete embargo on any presents except for small kids and everyone is much happier for us. Several times, when our kids were younger, they were all happy to swap the idea of expensive presents and too much to eat for a ski holiday in January (cheaper, and the snow is likely to be better).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy