Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Baby - will I ever ski again? :O

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

My baby is 10 weeks old and up until now haven't had time to even think but now that I can (a bit), what's the first thing that pops into my head?? Skiing, of course! Smile I'm a decent intermediate (will do all reds and blacks) and went on a ski holiday last Jan while 12 weeks pregnant and skied 40km a day around the skiwelt.

It's our first baby and my husband has only skied one week (and is not hooked like me but a bit ambivalent Shock) ). We bring baby out walking in buggies and slings and things and have done a bit of very easy hiking but he's not one of the miracle baby that's quiet all the time. We don't really get to go for coffees or meals out with him as he's way too alert and likely to kick off and we definitely haven't chanced going on a night away (let alone a holiday abroad!).

So I just wondered, how do I get from where I am at the moment, to being able to contemplate a family ski holiday? Is it years away for the nervous new parents like us? Would it even be worth the effort? We don't have a gang of friends in the same boat we could go with and share childcare. It would just be the 3 of us.

Hoping for hope Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MissRibena, don't worry. Who wants to quiet baby? They are supposed to make noise. Plenty of places offer decent childcare (but cost can be a problem). And in a few years he (the kid, don't know about the husband) will be bombing down the slopes. You may have to expect to do a little less skiing initially but skiing with your kids can be great fun. Definitely worth persevering with. The problem with skiing with the kids is that it gets expensive...especially when the are school aged.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It rather depends on what you expect from a skiing holiday and where you are prepared to compromise?
Have you got extended family with kids that could rent a catered chalet between you and share childcare?
Can you afford a ski nanny?
You could go self catering and one of you do morning child care and afternoon skiing and vice versa.
There are t/o's that are especially child friendly with day care and baby listening services.
Would your parents help out in return for a holiday?
Really it all depends on your budget and how much you are willing to compromise.
There are a lot of snowheads that have kids and still enjoy ski holidays, I'm sure a few will be along to give you some more concrete ideas and maybe some T/O or resort suggestions. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My mother came with us when our some was 3 months, 15 months and 25 months. On the first two she was 'useful' as she looked after him while we skied (although breast feeding did limit the time my wife could spend away from him), but by the third trip he didn't really want to stay with her so much, but wanted to be with us (either, or both, it didn't seem to matter).

So I took him swimming in the morning, then we lunched together and played in the snow, then my wife and I skied a little while grandma looked after him, then play a bit more - at 2 we bought him a pair of those plastic skis and he was so excited by them he couldn't stay still enough to get them on. He loved falling over in the snow; we also bought a sledge in resort and played around on that near the hotel (left it there rather than worry about getting it home).

We didn't ski when he was 3 because I had been made redundant and moved to start a new job in March, but went on a Thomsons package to a chalet in Verbier when he was 4; fantastic trip - the ski school was good (separated skiers from non-skiers in the ski-kindergarten and moved him quickly to the nursery slopes); excellent lifites on the nursery slope (just one more go ad infinitum), and really good chalet host.

We've skied every year since - packages and DIY in Europe and Canada, and without going with anyone else.

So, there is definitely hope. As long as your son is small, it won't be non-stop skiing anyway, which might suit your husband, and he might find he enjoys it if he can take things a bit easy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our baby is 15 weeks old and we are going skiing in March, I don't see any reason why you need to stop doing something you love. We are driving out this time so we can take all the kit needed though! Oh yeah, my mum is coming too!
It's a bit scary but needs must!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When my youngest was tiny we used Crystal and found there pipi penguin creche to be ideal - we compromised on half a day in creche and half a day with mum and dad - either 1 skied and the other watched and we alternated or we walked round the town.
When she was older than 1 we used the local Jardin les enfants in the resorts - the one in morillon les esserts I can highly recommend and you have access to the whole grand massif ski area.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could think of going with something like Ski Famille or Ski Esprit which have facilities to look after the babies. We know people that have used both of these quite happily - friends who went along with their son, daughter and grand-daughter with Ski Esprit last year got on fine although granny thought that she really needn't have bothered as the child care was so good.

Our daughter is coming to spend the whole of January with us along with her daughter who is 8 weeks old now. SIL is going to pop back and forth but by the sounds of it he will be spending most of the month with us. They have got at least two if not three sets of others friends with babies who are staying at Ski Esprit in the village. Daughter said that as she is on maternity leave it is the one opportunity she has to get a decent amount of time on the snow. I envisage us boxing and coxing the childcare with a bit of swapping over going on at lunch time. Also have the other granny coming out too.

I would think that this year could almost be easier than later years if you are going to be happy leaving your son in the tender care of nannies. He will no doubt have most of your luggage allowance. Good luck.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only season we missed was when. our eldest was born (jan), i personally think its easier with a baby than with a toddler as the baby is

usually bundled into a push chair
sleeps a lot
is easier to entertain

not always the case i know but that my perception having gone through it twice.

with our first it was easy, we went with extended family and for the most part my wife and i tended to swap at lunchtimes, so we would arrange to meet up somewhere she or i could either walk or get transport to, we would go there in our ski boots or with them in the pushchair if walking. We would have some lunch then one would go back to the chalet or go for a stroll around town with the baby.

just book something.

+1 for esprit
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MissRibena wrote:
my husband has only skied one week and is not hooked like me but a bit ambivalent Shock)

Leave baby & husband at home, go off and enjoy. Tell husband to take a week by himself doing something he really enjoys. Child & (husband if he wants to) can ski with you when child is old enough. Doing stuff by yourself is as important and maintains sanity. Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think moffatross has the best idea. I've always said to my children that they can come with me once they've learnt the basics at the local slope as then they'll be able to enjoy a ski holiday, not just a "creche in the mountains" holiday. So while they've been very little they've stayed at home while I've skied. My wife can ski, but like your husband is ambivalent, so this works well for us.

The children are now good enough to come with me having learnt locally and shown that they're capable and enjoy it, so I know we'll all have a good time. That means this year I'm making good on my promise and I'll be taking the children with me.

They're also now old enough (youngest is 3) that they enjoy spending a week with their grandparents in the holidays, so the way is open for my wife and I to enjoy a week together too if we wish.

I know others prefer to all go away as a family, but I don't think this would have worked for me when they were younger as I would find being in a resort and not skiing very frustrating, and if we just put them in childcare all day they might as well be at home and save the money.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am another Esprit fan, they have full day nursery meaning you can ski as long as you want, which Keira was quite happy in.

Other options are going with family and staying in apartments and swapping over who is doing the babysitting, but even in an apartment you don't have much in the way of normal toys etc for playing with your baby (One tip if you do do this route take some baloons out with you which you can blow up once out there and can pop before coming home and a set of stacking cups are good as they pack quite small). Whereas the esprit nursery was really well equipped in addition we had a room with baby food, bottle warmers, nappy change area, microwave, they had high chairs, boaster seats, plastic cutlery, plates, bowls and beakers and steps in the public toilets.

Having done both the Esprit options is by far the easiest but it is the more expensive route.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MissRibena, To answer your thread title - of course you will, and once Jnr can ski with you the fun will only increase - even now they are making plans to outski you in just a scant few years. Enjoy and if I missed the thread at the time, congratulations on your little blackcurrant.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well my now 8 year old says I should have taken her skiing before she was 4 when she actually started so at worst only 3 years to wait!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 10-11-12 20:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We took junior on his first ski trip when he was about 6 months old. Mrs M skied the mornings, I skied the afternoons. We did take a couple of years off when the mushette arrived, but now they are 5 & 8 we all get as much skiing as we want in. Austrian ski school is fantastic. Drop them off at 09:30, pick them up at 16:00 for a little group ski to check on their progress Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
personally, Id plan a March hol - when baby is 6 months...I think this is when Crystal accept them in the creche? We've used them quite a bit and really cant complain about the creche staff. March should also be reasonably warm. The creche was not that expensive. We always booked just mornings and then did family stuff in the afternoons - swimming, sledging etc. My kids started skiing with ESF at 3.

If you do decide to go for it (I would!!!) then just ask on here for more advice on what to take. Nappies are panifully expensive in French resorts - make sure you take enough unless you'd be happy paying about 3 times UK cost!
latest report
Quote:

Id plan a March hol - when baby is 6 months.

I,d agree with that - a good age, settled down a bit, a bit more predictable, but still stays where he,s put.

Your alternatives are to throw a lot of money at 3rd party childcare, or take it in turns (you, as the keen skier, get the longest turns...) or take grandma or similar with you.

Or yes, just you go, so that your husband can have his own holiday, doing something he really likes (by then he can have worked on the parenting skills this will require!).

You see other people,s babies and toddlers in resorts, happily playing in the snow, happily going off to the kindergarten whilst Mum and Dad disappear, keeping their hats and sunglasses on, generally being angelic. They,re often French - Brit brats seem more of a problem. I have two young grandchildren at Christmas (will be 8 months and 2 years 9 months). I shall, like pamski, be doing lots of babysitting. No way could my daughter and son in law afford a holiday with paid childcare - though that seems to work well for some.
latest report
Pieboy's first hol was at 5 months. We were very lucky to be able to take a non-skiing friend who did a lot of nannying for us even though we only skied half days and had to pop and see him from time to time as he was still being partially breast fed.

Next time was at 16mo. We used snowbugs nannies who were exceptional, but private childcare is an expensive option... Many resorts have a 'garderie' which is a *much* cheaper form of childcare than a Brit-centric nannying service - it differs from resort to resort but some French ones will take from as young as 3mo. You drop them off at the local Mairie or nearby, they look after them all day including lunch and a snooze, for about 35 EUR. We do this a lot, it's great.

Two things that little kids don't care about as much as you think they will: cold and altitude. Have the odd morning off, and take him up a gondola for some sledging and rolling about. He'll love it. Don't worry, his ears won't explode and his toes won't fall off.

March when he's 6mo, the days are longer, the cold not quite so fierce... that will work out really well I reckon. Either stump up for childcare, or take it in turns. You can probably budget for the childcare simply by going to a much smaller resort than you usually would. The likelihood is that you'll get the fear when you're 9 gondolas away from home, so you can probably go somewhere a bit more 'intimate' and still have an amazing ski trip (whilst always being only a 15 minute dash back to the creche if you want).

By the time he's 2.5y or 3y, you can book him into ski school. It'll be sooner than you think. Enjoy them when they're little, they're shitehawks when they grow up a bit Smile
snow report
I'm waiting till my boy's 3 before going, but I'm in the position that I can go away myself. I'd rather take him when he can appreciate it more for what it is, rather than 'just' a holiday.
ski holidays
Esprit.
snow conditions
Scooby, has it right. Esprit.
ski holidays
MissRibena - I managed to sneek in a holiday when my other half found out she was 12 weeks gone. Then we had a two-year layoff due to time, her not having the inclination to snowboard, plus financial issues.

We finally got round to going again last January when the little man was 2 years 3 months - I was chomping at the bit, she was less so, but we ended up leaving junior with his grandparents.... according to them he didn't even ask for us until the day we were heading back!!! Smile

Anyway, we've been toying with the idea of the three of us going away this winter but have thought against it, partly because we want to have a bit of time to ourselves and partly because my folks don't get to see him that much (due to them living miles away) so they've once again stepped in to help.

Mind you, this will be the last year we get away with it I reckon and anyway, by next winter we feel he'll be really suited to kids club in resort (not that he isn't already, but being that bit older he'll be a better candidate for skiing). Like you, we don't have a gang of friends who are able/want to come away with us so when we do go, it'll be just us three so a reliable TO will be a must. We're not the most confident of people, especially when we're abroad, and a TO that can help us keep our cool and feel at home is something that appeals to us.
ski holidays
I'm going to have to pimp Ski Magic at this point, in La Tania. Cheap, lovely, brilliant childcare.
latest report
My friend went on her honeymoon skiing with a 15 month old, but did have grandad and uncle in tow too...her daughter has been again when she was just over 3 years old, both times spent most of the days in creche and loved it. Think they went with Crystal on both occasions, the staff were brilliant with them, so I heard, and did lots of different activities.
snow report
MissRibena wrote:
It's our first baby and my husband has only skied one week (and is not hooked like me but a bit ambivalent Shock) ).

This is the key to you going skiing - if hubby isn't fussed about skiing, give him the chance to 'bond' properly with junior at home while you go skiing with your friends Toofy Grin You'll save a packet as well not having to take 2 non-skiers Razz . I managed this when my kid was 6 months old as my other half doesn't ski and somehow was persuaded that I needed to go for a week to let her have some quality time.

Worth a try, he can only say no...
ski holidays
Esprit, we used them in Les Arcs, Selva, Selva again and Tiges. They were always great with the kids and we got a full days skiing. Result.
snow conditions
We approached ski holidays from a different perspective when the boys were young. We went to the Alps for a holiday and did a little skiing. We went in March, for the hopefully sunnier days, and stayed low. We were lucky enough to have relatives near Geneva at that time which was a useful base. We avoided busy places and the busiest times and had super family holidays. The skiing we managed was only each of us in turn grabbing a couple of hours (my husband skied more than me but he is a much keener skier). It was well worth it, suited us, and we all enjoyed feeding the ducks on the lake, having sleigh rides in snowy resorts, swimming in hot spa pools and generally relaxing amidst beautiful scenery. Full on ski holidays did not really start until our 3 were school age.
snow conditions
Booked with Esprit for AdH in January, helped in a large part by the positive reviews of them on here. Little miss narbs will be 13 months and is booked into the creche for the week. She does three days a week in nursery now so hopefully she'll just take it in her stride.
ski holidays
MissRibena, Yes book a holiday with espirit or ski famille and you will get a good rest while young one is playing with the nannies and you can ski. As others have said maybe go in march after the school holidays have all finished and realise that you may do a little less on the slopes but there will be other families there who will have a similar outlook.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MissRibena, lots of options but all depend on what you can afford:mentally and financially.

Our eldest child is now 10 near 11 and we took him with us when he was 4 months, then 12 months, then 15 months, etc etc .

Options include any combination of :

DIY holiday + relative, garderie, UK nanny service, partents take turns, bunch of friends take turns

Tour operator + creche (full or half days)

The but what ever you do:
a) it will be more expensive (by a lot)
b) you will do less skiing
c) you will drink less (but not enough to offset a by any meaningful amount).

But soon enough nipper will be scooting round faster than you and you'll all have a fantastic time together sharing the exhilaration of what much be the best holiday you can have.
snow report
Quote:
We don't really get to go for coffees or meals out as he's way too alert and likely to kick off
Ok, so much for ambivalent ski-husband....what about the baby Toofy Grin ?
ski holidays
Our favourite Austrian hotel runs its own creche, free to all guests. Trouble is you have to be 3 to get them into it. Our 2 would give skiing a miss to be in there if we let them!
latest report
Thanks so much for all the replies everyone - I'm well cheered up.

We're still weighing up the pros and cons but if we do go, in the unfortunate absence of grandparents or friends who would come along to help out (you lucky people who have these!!), we would probably go with someone like Esprit.

I think the solo holiday is out for now as I am breastfeeding and to be honest, I'd be heartbroken away from them for a week (although I'm lead to understand that this is likely to change!! lol). I definitely want to get junior on the slopes as young as we can though. I love the mountains in all seasons so maybe a hiking holiday with a day on a glacier would do for this year. At least that way it would be more of a family holiday.
snow conditions
MissRibena, no idea about skiing with babies, but just wanted to say congratulations.
snow report
MissRibena, Yeh, you'll be fine to go. Go with either Mark Warner or Ski Esprit. I've never done Esprit, but MW are fantastic with kids. It'll give you a brilliant break to get on the slopes.
latest report
MissRibena wrote:

I'd be heartbroken away from them for a week (although I'm lead to understand that this is likely to change!! lol). .

I never chose to have a holiday away from mine, they chose to have holidays away from me as they got older though Shocked Very Happy
latest report
MissRibena, if you are breast feeding then you need to be super careful about the exact layout of the resort and your hotel / chalet. As near as possible- not just 'ski in ski out' as that can mean 'there is one run right next door but it does not connect to the lift system and is only open about 2 weeks a year'

The Esprit web site / brochure used to have photos of the resorts with lifts / pistes clearly shown.

The Esprit chalets in Plan Peisey are very near the pistes and main lift- 2 mins walk for example.
ski holidays
My daughter had a baby Very Happy end of June. She is coming out to Chamonix for two weeks at the new year. Child care will be spread around a few willing hands. My other daughter used to work for esprit not cheap be covers everything. I guess the key will be to have the baby in a good routine and bottle feeding at least some of the time. There is life after a baby and its good, I guess it's hard to carve a bit back for yourselves, good luck.
latest report
I went skiing with my friends and their baby last winter. Half of the time the baby was with mom and half of the time with dad. I was skiing with whoever was having "free time". Mom was 100% breastfeeding but they had frozen milk with them that mom had pumped earlier so if the baby was hungry when mom was skiing dad would feed him from the bottle.
snow conditions
MissRibena, We took our youngest away when he was 7 months old with Espirit, and he was fine.

We'd been with Espirit before and as you can probably gather from the posts of others, their childcare is great. Reckon a late season trip in March is perfectly possible for you to aim at. Another benefit of Espirit which we've found is that they normally have a reserved area at the airport (certainally did at Chambery) with nursery staff, toys and games to entertain the kids, bottle warmers, changing tables (a place to sit down!) which is really useful, particularly if your flight gets delayed for whatever reason and the rest of the airport resembles a brightly coloured cattle market. They normally have buggies you can borrow available too, so you don't have to take your own if you're going out with little RibenaLite. Another point to remember with them is that they do offer a decent discount for repeat customers, so may be worth looking into going forwards too.
snow conditions
Just wait. The toddler years flash by and can't be relived. Spend your holidays paddling, face painting and playing. When your son is five go skiing again; take him with you and plan your day to spend a significant amount of time snowploughing on green runs with him.

You won't regret it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy