Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Carolina/ Virginia?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hello wise snow people.

As part of our US honeymoon we are flying into Charlotte, NC and MR NN reckons there is snowboarding to be had. I've done a bit of googling, all looks pretty tame but maybe good for a day or two. Can anyone make any recommendations? We have a car and no particular place to go so are open to ideas.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You've got to be pretty desperate to want to ski in NC!

There're mountains. But unless you got lucky with a storm hitting at the right moment, you'll be looking at 95+% man-made snow that's been skied into sheet ice by 10am!

But for some people, that's still better than no skiing. So it really depends on your perspective: i.e. how desperate you really are!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not desperate -just thought why not go and have a look when we're over there. Not entirely sure WHY we're going to NC other than to taunt republicans but hey ho....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NC is a lovely area. Head up to Asheville and the hills around it if you can. More micrbreweries than you can shake a stick at, I recommend the brewery tap at the Pisgah brewery. Snow venues are around but do seem a bit variable and don't hold the snow very late, this is what my brother tells me and he lives there. It might be more a case of hitting the snow if it's there but don't hold your breath. He regularly e mails of rock climbing in a t shirt in feb/mar. The blue ridge mountains are there and the AT and T trail passes through.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes the Asheville area is lovely. If you go to Asheville then make sure you visit the Biltmore estate. Also there are some nice shops and restaurants at the Biltmore village which is close to the entrance of the Biltmore estate

As mentioned the blue ridge parkway is a lovely drive up to Boone. Make sure you stop and have a wonder around Blowing rock near Boone and also Grandfather mountain for great views.

Also near Asheville you are close to the Smokey mountains which are accesible from the South via Cherokee or from the North via Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg again is a lovely town with lots of restaurants and shops. If you get a clear day then visit Clingmans dome in the smokey's which is one of the highest mountains in the SE USA.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A lot of the "nice" places in NC can be pretty boring in the winter. At least I think so. No snow, bare branches on the trees...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Gatlinburg ... is a lovely town with lots of restaurants and shops

They must have improved it since I was last there then. It does have lots of restaurants and shops, yes. But I would never have described it as lovely. It's in a lovely place, but the town itself .... nope Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sanman wrote:
Quote:

Gatlinburg ... is a lovely town with lots of restaurants and shops

They must have improved it since I was last there then. It does have lots of restaurants and shops, yes. But I would never have described it as lovely. It's in a lovely place, but the town itself .... nope Very Happy

Really? I thought the main street where most of the shops/restaurants are was really nice. And most of the buildings had a nice look (architectually) about them and didn't look out of place in the mountain environment. Just compare it to nearby Pigeon Forge and Sevierville which are full of strip malls.

Maybe we went after they done a major refurb of the town buildings and streets?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pigeon Forge of course has the attractions of Dollywood! Shocked Toofy Grin

A few years back during a summer motoring tour through the region I drove up to Obergatlinburg to check it out - I can't remember that much about it to be honest, I was just surprised to see any ski resorts in that region.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well it was a long time ago I was there, early 90s, but I just remember it as being pretty tacky and commercial, not as bad as Pigeon Forge, no, but very touristy, a bit like walking down the Disney Main Street but without the quality control. If it's improved since, all well and good.

I had no idea there was ski-ing in that area. The hills didn't seem that high.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://skicentral.com/northcarolina-map.html
This might give you a few ideas, google will fill in the details.
+1 for Grandfather mountain and check out Rumbling Bald and Lake lure too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,

I think you'll enjoy NC. The ski, unfortunately is not garanted as others already said. But if you are luck with the weather, you'l find Beach & Sugar Mountain the large ones. Appalachian and Calalochee, are small but goot if you're not that starving expert skier. Boone, Ashville, and several other places are must to ride around.

Good luck!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not too to Snowshoe, WV. That at least has promise
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy