Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It´s like carving on the wing tip…

Poster: A snowHead
skimastaaah wrote:
Tom from Austria, You know Tom.......... when I was 15 years old I met a Norwegian girl same age, next year I went to Norway to meet the family and spend time together. I skied on the Hardanger Plateau on a pair of plastic strap-on skis that cost 15 Kroner that summer............... just like the kid in your little movie.

Love the pics and pan-shots ......................... Send me a pair................ I got BSc(Hons) Leeds in Sports Science, Post Grad Research in Sports materials specifically Biomechanics related to sports hardware (Tennis/Skiing/Impact Sports), I've represented GB in Winter Sports programmes, ................ I still expect to be convinced by a lot more than kiddy-movies.

A nice story, skimastaaah! 15 years, blond hair...Have you stayed with her?
And then BSc, Biomechanics...

Hope you will enjoy our next thread on TGR and Snowheads next week. Its name: "Forget the theory of carved turn".
Tom
PS How do you like Uni Innsbruck ? Federolf in Zurich ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
These skates with double runners are what I was thinking of earlier http://www.momfinds.com/2011/toddlers-on-ice-yours/ I imagine the wings would behave in a similar way?

Well, not really! Skates are skates, that is short
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
We need to get some snowheads testing these babies. Some if you are mean and dismissive

Hi Frosty. Yessss...... Were are you, Snowheads? Come and test these babies!

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tom from Austria, might be in Kaprun in a coupla weeks or so . . .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges wrote:
Tom from Austria, might be in Kaprun in a coupla weeks or so . . .

Hope to meet you there and ride together in fresh powder...

Please send a mail to tom@raxski.com before.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tom from Austria, hmmm, if it's powder I suspect I might just be taking a raincheck on ski testing wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges wrote:
Tom from Austria, hmmm, if it's powder I suspect I might just be taking a raincheck on ski testing wink

You are right, it was rather a soft snow but quite dry, Mid June 2010.
The mountain: Grosser Kaserer at Hintertux/Tyrol
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
these have just been on the gadget show..... verdict was very slow
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going to try the first generation this winter as my brother bought a pair (he hasnt tried yet) two questions jump in mind, can you upgrade the first generation to second plus how quick do the fins get blunt and how easy is it to sharpen them on the slopes.

Still love the idea off them Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody saying that the ski season is over?
Just climb higher with skis/boots in backpack and enjoy the last snow, cool lakes and flower carpets around you. And ride virgin snow fields wherever you find them. Yeah, do really carve them without skidding and jumping.

http://youtube.com/v/8pIklp0Z2bU[/img]
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now we know it really is silly season...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tom from Austria, sorry to be so negative... but that is neither carving or skiing!
I had more faith in these little skis until I saw that video.... I'd take it down if I were you as I don't think it does your product much justice!
I recon that decent could have be made on any blades/boards; also it was plainly evident that all your weight was in the back seat when you made a few 'turns' in the last clip. You were just rotating your heels to spin the skis round.
I can see it as a nice winter sport/hobby/fun.... but carving it aint!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom from Austria, With the snow that Austria had this season I'm surprised you have waited till summer to post your vids.

Pity you don't have footage on piste rather than piddling around on some scratty stuff.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimastaaah wrote:
Tom from Austria, With the snow that Austria had this season I'm surprised you have waited till summer to post your vids.
Pity you don't have footage on piste rather than piddling around on some scratty stuff.

Sorry, skimastaaah, I haven`t posted it here yet.
Do you mean the powder like this

http://youtube.com/v/DnbXpbtppm8

or a piste like that ?

http://youtube.com/v/mbBx6BBU89s
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom from Austria, Thanks for the vids. One gets a much better idea of the performance of your Raxskis. I still remain unconvinced of the benefits, particularly in the off-piste clip. However, on piste the appear to perform some similarly to skiboards, without the rear section.

They look fun though, especially the close together "wiggle" style on piste. Best of luck with your development and I hope to see them on the slopes.
snow report
Tom from Austria,
What I said a minute ago....
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
Tom from Austria, Thanks for the vids. One gets a much better idea of the performance of your Raxskis. I still remain unconvinced of the benefits, particularly in the off-piste clip. However, on piste the appear to perform some similarly to skiboards, without the rear section.

They look fun though, especially the close together "wiggle" style on piste. Best of luck with your development and I hope to see them on the slopes.

Thank you, Skimastaaah! Well, the RaxSki was originally developed off-piste and it prefers extreme conditions even now.
"The worse the... the more you will like them".

http://youtube.com/v/bHDRHzpHv1E
snow conditions
Lol Very Happy
latest report
Tom from Austria wrote:

"The worse the... skier? the more you will like them".

FIFY..... Perhaps?

I reckon you could apply that theory to the skier also, especially watching the powder clip, "if you can slide down a hill on your heels you will be able to ski powder on these baby's!" Laughing
ski holidays
gatecrasher wrote:
Tom from Austria wrote:

"The worse the... skier? the more you will like them".

There is a good yet simple rule, gatecrasher! If you are citing somebody you shouldn`t falsify the quotation!
Especially when you a citing a sentence that was originally created by a Snowhead DB (in Jan 2008)

snow report
Tom from Austria, That was obviously way before my breakfast! Different strokes 'n" all that! rolling eyes wink
snow conditions
I am still struggling to understand how cutting up a few pairs of dead old skis and screwing some dodgy old bits of alu/mild steel into them represents anything other than a rather crap high school prank?

Has nothing to fpdo with skiing, other than you live near mountains...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
I am still struggling to understand how cutting up a few pairs of dead old skis and screwing some dodgy old bits of alu/mild steel into them represents anything other than a rather crap high school prank?

Has nothing to fpdo with skiing, other than you live near mountains...

Well, it`s not the way we have built the first prototypes (cutting and screwing) that makes the value of this ski invention.
Rather is it the behaviour of this invention itself in snow, on and off-piste.

These funny pieces of aluminium do interact with the snow surface and let you control the direction and the speed of your movement.
They represent new ski control elements, such supporting or even replacing the function of ski edges.

The result of this development process (cutting, screwing, testing, modifying, again testing, etc) is a ski
which can be controlled as directly as a car. Twisting the feet is equivalent to the turning the steering wheel.

These funny pieces of aluminium are called "rear fins" and "lateral wings". All together they make the best manoeuvrable ski of the world

ski holidays
Tom from Austria, naghhh, no they don't.
snow report
Quote:

Twisting the feet is equivalent to the turning the steering wheel.

Tom from Austria,
So you admit it isn't 'like carving on a wing tip' then and is a completely new and different technique compared to skiing and that they aren't skis or blades or ski boards.
They are what they are a 'Rax' and you like to go 'Raxing' and ripping (quite literally) up the pow and piste.
They appear to be as comparable to ski technique as snowboarding; you need balance and they are to be used on snow.

[ps. although I am being a bit moany it doesn't mean that I don't like the concept or product... i'd love to have a play on them (which I have written somewher e on here in the past.... i just don't like your marketing of them in relation to the revolutionising of skis, skiing and ski design)
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Tom from Austria, naghhh, no they don't.

They don`t do what ?
Please do me a favour and express your thought in other words or in another language?
snow conditions
flangesax wrote:
So you admit it isn't like carving ... and is a completely new and different technique compared to skiing and that they aren't skis or blades or ski boards.
They appear to be as comparable to ski technique as snowboarding; you need balance and they are to be used on snow.

.... i just don't like your marketing of them in relation to the revolutionising of skis, skiing and ski design)

Hi Flangesax,
let us just list pure facts
1) RaxSkis with Wings can be operated the same way as short "fun carvers" - as if you had no rear fins and wings.
2) This is only true when RaxSki`s tips are in contact with snow surface
3) Lifting the ski tips starts the "raxing" modus - pivoting on rear fins and controlling the direction and speed as easy as driving a car.
4) Between these two extremes (pure carving and pure raxing) there is a wide area of "raxing with some support by the ski edge"
- this is the best modus for ski turns (with e.g. right fin and right wing cutting the icy surface while being supported by the right edge at the ski tip)
5) Executing a turn in the pure carving modus makes one wing automatically carve the snow surface
- this is why RaxSki can hold extreme centrifugal forces without skidding aside

Summary: the RaxSki has elements of the (sidecut) ski, the firngleiter and the blade. Shifting his weight forwards or backwards the skier deactivates
resp. activates the rear fins and so decides between carving or raxing (how much carving and how much raxing).

Tell me what would you prefer as an alternative marketing of a revolutionary ski.
Oh, we will test RaxSkis on Kitzsteinhorn Glacier this weekend. You are welcome to join us.

snow conditions
Tom from Austria, as, I assume, all the forces will be different do you need to make any allowances in terms of binding adjustment for these skis?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
Tom from Austria, as, I assume, all the forces will be different do you need to make any allowances in terms of binding adjustment for these skis?

The good news about RaxSki is that all control elements are located BEHIND the boots. Unlike regular carving ski having the most efficient control element (the front part of the ski edge) at the ski tip, the RaxSki is self-stabilizing in the instantaneous direction of movement.

When "raxing" with ski tips lifted above the surface it is simply impossible to tear your crucial ligament in the knie. As a consequence, releasable binding would not be required for RaxSki. For we know that people would not buy a ski without this binding we are selling RaxSkis with standard releasable bindings, mostly with Tyrolia SL or SX. But as you see the fine adjustment of the binding is not as critical as with regular skis.
We do preset 7-10 for men, 5-7 for ladies, 3-4 for children.

Summary: RaxSki is designed for standard releasable bindings, but supports also touring or telemark binding ("freeheel") or a non-releasable snowblade-binding.

snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:

When "raxing" with ski tips lifted above the surface it is simply impossible to tear your crucial ligament in the knie.

blimey! Shocked That's one hell of a claim! I always thought that one of the most vulnerable positions to be in regarding ACL injuries was getting caught back towards the heels.

These would be good to wear during all sports then where ACL injuries are a risk?! Hockey/squash maybe.... Hmm! Confused
ski holidays
II, how much?
latest report
gatecrasher wrote:
Tom from Austria wrote:

When "raxing" with ski tips lifted above the surface it is simply impossible to tear your crucial ligament in the knie.

...I always thought that one of the most vulnerable positions to be in regarding ACL injuries was getting caught back towards the heels....

That may be true, gatecrasher - for conventional carver skis. The torsional stress leading to ACL is usually "produced" by the aggressive front portion of the ski edge distorting one of the skis. Lifting ski tips puts it out of function.
Well you may consider this a pure theory. The final evidence can just be yield by riding tracked bumpy terrain on RaxSki.
Believe me you never feel torsional stress in your knee.

gatecrasher wrote:
These would be good to wear during all sports then where ACL injuries are a risk?! Hockey/squash maybe.... Hmm! Confused

No, never. The ice skate can`t be compared with a long ski. The mechanism of ACL rupture is the same as with a ski accident yet the physical environment causing the fatal distortion is very different.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy