Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It´s like carving on the wing tip…

Poster: A snowHead

Having emerged at Innsbruck/Austria in January 2012, this ski lets you carve clean turns where others are already drifting aside.
The core of the actual invention is a pair of well-configured wings underfoot. The inclined ski makes the tip of the wing cut the snow and control the tracking. The wing can either follow the radius of the shaped edge or draw another curve.
It`s just the rider´s decision…

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was just thinking about these the other day. How's sales?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Come on Tom, post a video of these beauties.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fixed it for you...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr Piehole wrote:

What are you talking about? This is just the 1st presentation of this invention called "2nd generation of RaxSki".
Let me show the ski from the other side

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
II wrote:
Fixed it for you...

Do you really think K2 needs these pads ?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 9-11-12 16:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
II,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman wrote:
II,
Laughing Laughing Laughing

+1 Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seem to remember that DB volunteered to test the last set of RAX skis. He wasn't completely negative about them at the time. Anyone volunteering this time?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:
Seem to remember that DB volunteered to test the last set of RAX skis. He wasn't completely negative about them at the time. Anyone volunteering this time?

I appreciated DB very much. Is he still in Vienna?
If not - any other snowhead ready to test "wings" in Austria?

RaxSki2 is not the same as the 1st generation. It`s a REAL CARVE MACHINE forcing pressure on edges and- in this case- wings.
No toillet-seat required for groomers and alike.
But if you are also riding down steeps you may opt for additional rear fins. Let me show you the "anatomy" of such an extreme gear

Oh, the pic shows a gorge on the RaxAlpe with icy old firn-snow (dark) and some pow last sunday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chattonmill wrote:
Come on Tom, post a video of these beauties.

Yes, we will. Yet the "ski with wings" was made for carving and so we would need nice groomers. The season is just starting...

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back again. Hurrah
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom from Austria, if you bring them to Nordkette again I'll give them a go (as long as it's not a powder day)!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom from Austria, send me some and I'll review them.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Tom from Austria, if you bring them to Nordkette again I'll give them a go (as long as it's not a powder day)!

Yeah, we are even trying to move the RaxSki headquarter to the Nordkette/Innsbruck
ski holidays
PSB or nothing. That's the test, you might even make a sale. More of your target market in one place than any other surely?
snow report
Nickski wrote:
Back again. Hurrah

Hi Nickski, thanks a lot.
Let me show you something special

This extreme fun carver (radius 1.5m, 5cm underfoot) was in action in this Rax-gorge last Sunday.
Floating on the powder right and few minutes later cutting grooves in the old firn-ice left.
Executing a carved turn on such steep/hard slope, this ski is drawing two grooves by each ski.
The wing is cutting the inner groove and the sidewall-fin at the ski-tale the outer one.
The distance between the two lines varies between 2 and 10cm, deepending on the orientation of ski-base.

It was very difficult to measure the traces as you can any time slide down.
More pics from the Raxalpe on www.raxski.com

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 10-11-12 20:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It's the return of the Frankenski Shocked
ski holidays
Tom from Austria wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Yeah, we are even trying to move the RaxSki headquarter to the Nordkette/Innsbruck

Will you change the name to Norx?
latest report
Quote:

I like Norx.
snow conditions
Loads of people want to get their hands on Norx, so I hear.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Tom from Austria wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

It´s a charming idea, Clarky, but people appreciate the continuity and identity. As we are generally known as "RasxSki" we should stay with it.
Would you like this shape?

ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Tom from Austria, send me some and I'll review them.

ok, where are you at home, Lizzard ? Would you prefer rather larger RaxSki or some little guns like this one?

snow report
Zero-G wrote:
It's the return of the Frankenski Shocked

No, it´s not. As far as I know there have never been any skis with wings. Do you know more ?

Find more pics on www.raxski.com
snow conditions
Tom from Austria, you rock! Skiing would be a duller environment without those people prepared to push the limits of what everyone understands should work.

Question: Does any account need to be taken of the completely different lengths of your skis, i.e. rotational forces which might arise etc. when setting the bindings and how does the user determine where to mount them as there is no obvious central location for them.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Tom from Austria, you rock! Skiing would be a duller environment without those people prepared to push the limits of what everyone understands should work.

Question: Does any account need to be taken of the completely different lengths of your skis, i.e. rotational forces which might arise etc. when setting the bindings and how does the user determine where to mount them as there is no obvious central location for them.

Greetings from Vienna, Megamum! You are welcome in the RaxSki world.
Do not bother about mounting bindings on RaxSkis. We are used to deliver ski with the binding mounted on the original Tyrolia plate which is normally used by ski-rental offices. The advantage of this policy is that the customer himself is able to adjust the position of the binding.

Furthermore, we give you a simple table how to set the binding depending on your weight. Both the position and the setting of the binding are field-adjustable on the slope without any special tool like screwdriver. This is very important as we are selling on internet.

The last remark: the setting of the binding is not so critical with a short RaxSki (1m)[/img]
snow conditions
Tom from Austria wrote:

This extreme fun carver (radius 1.5m, 5cm underfoot)

Looks like some nice engineering but are those dimensions right? 1.5m radius sounds a bit short - I though WC race slaloms were something like 20m radius. Or have I misunderstood?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red Leon wrote:
Looks like some nice engineering but are those dimensions right? 1.5m radius sounds a bit short - I though WC race slaloms were something like 20m radius. Or have I misunderstood?
A slalom ski will have a shorter radius than that, in the range of 11 - 13m.

A turn radius of 1.5m seems a bit silly. But that's the least of my confusion about these skis.
ski holidays
So how do you get these off an edge if you want to do something other than carve?
snow report
skir67 wrote:
So how do you get these off an edge if you want to do something other than carve?

I appreciate your technical question, skir67! The answer is...
1) The same way you get your side-cut ski off an edge - you reduce the edging angle by less inclination of your body.
The groove beeing cut by the wing is the same as the groove carved by parabolic edges, just little bit deeper.

2) In addition to this possibility, the short wing can be "deactivated" if you suddenly stop twisting your feet. For the wing is not parabolic it causes a torque only if you apply the power. It means that decreasing the torque caused by twisting makes the curve-radius larger. If case of zero pressure/torque the ski is running straight away. This feature is the real contribution of short wings to the problem of ski-control. Like a car. the ski with wings is controlled directly. Twisting the feet is the same as turning the steering wheel at a car.

Of course the whole operation is a dynamical process of centrifugal forces and ski-snow-interaction. But the important message is that you can combine both methods 1) and 2) at any moment of time
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Red Leon wrote:

A turn radius of 1.5m seems a bit silly. But that's the least of my confusion about these skis.

Thanks, Rob. Even so 1.5m vs 13m still makes me think it's a typo
latest report
Red Leon wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Red Leon wrote:

Thanks, Rob. Even so 1.5m vs 13m still makes me think it's a typo

Yeah, let me tell now the whole story of this extreme RaxSki.
I have seen this junior fun carver at our partner ski factory and thought we could mount all RaxSki wings and rear fins on it.
Just to see what happens.
So I got one pair free, cut the tail off and IT really HAPPENED.

The pic was taken after first two rides in this gorge a week ago. The rest of the day I have shredded this baby ski on this dark ice having the quality of EC surface.
And studied the grooves having been carved. My conclusion: The wide yet soft tip had NO function in carved turns except to support the body falling forwards.
It means that the geometrical radius was fully overdriven by the effect of the wing and the side-wall fin. In other words - though the parabolic edge lies on the snow surface, it has no effect in controlling the immediate curve radius.

...and this Rax baby rode all radii between say 2 meters and infinity without any insecurity - carving two continuous grooves (the wing and the side-fin). If the ski skidded aside on a icy bump, it was max. few centimeters ... and immediately carved a new pair of grooves.

latest report
Tom from Austria, I'm in 2Alpes in Isere. And I think bizarre skis with wings might be preferable to bizarre snowblades with wings. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Tom from Austria, I'm in 2Alpes in Isere. And I think bizarre skis with wings might be preferable to bizarre snowblades with wings. Laughing

That`s fine, Lizzard.
I have been there twice - I love La Meije and La Grave, we should ski together.
Where have you seen "bizarre snowblades with wings." ?

snow conditions
Quote:

You just posted a picture of some, did you not? Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

You just posted a picture of some, did you not? Laughing

You mean this one? It has the running base of a snowboard.

ski holidays
Tom from Austria, You're taking the p*ss.

Love the photoshop piccies, but as a snowhead with some critical post-grad-Physics/MechEng/skier type background I cannot say that the Force be with you. Laughing
snow conditions
For Tom from Austria, this will be old news, and almost certainly pre-dates his new wing concept, but when I looked up the Rax skis I found this Utube footage - they certainly look fun skiable items, they must be on a par with snow blades. The only thing that does seem evident from the film is that sometimes the skiers seem a little in the back seat, but the guys seem to be having fun and surely that is what skiing is about.

http://youtube.com/v/a6mrSiYMuN4
snow conditions
Mr Piehole wrote:

Just my thought.................... Skullie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy