Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-ing at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
johnE wrote:
Though I have skied in Austria over Christmas we didn't have the Austrian traditional Christmas meal of fried carp. Has anyone had it and what is it like. Is it worth a trip to Austria to sample?

If it's anything like the Polish version (carp in jelly), then avoid. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love it; I'll eat almost anything but I struggled to force that down (I was in Warsaw with girlfriends parents so it was a cultural no-no to refuse).

Many freshwater fish are extradinarily bony (very small bones too which makes filleting difficult). I once bought pike in France in error and that was the same; would not have that again either
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Corduroy wrote:

I love my skiing but wouldn't do it again until the little one has left home.

Come back here when she's a teenager and let us know if you still feel like that. You won't see them until the afternoon at least and then of course there's the christmas list (expensive clothes, laptops, phones, cars Shocked etc etc) !!

My wife had 3 girls from her first marraige and when we married they were 9, 14 and 16.

They're all grown up now (27, 25 and 20) and in fact this year we will all be seperate over Christmas. 27 is on her honeymoon, 25 is on a beach holiday with b/f and youngest is doing her second season in AdH; we will be in Zermatt
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE, there is no particular dish, it is all regional. The carp dishes are delicious but the fish itself is very boney so it is not that popular. Ii is not simply just "fried" though. It is more frequently cooked at New Year when the Austrian and Germans really do push the boat a wee bit more when it comes to eating a special meal. It is always worth a special trip to Austria though regardless of the Karpfen wink Laughing If nothing else it will reacquaint you with the concept of value for money! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I've have turkey, venison, wild boar, goose (the most frequent main course for Chrimble in all the Alpine countries I've spent Christmas in), beef, chicken carp and salmon at different times over the years. I'm always open to try something traditional or new, hence the wide variety tried so far. Looking forward to possibly having chamois (Gams) this year as the "man of the house" at my hotel is a top hunter and provides the hotel with lots of game as a result! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All of those sound wonderful Samberg Sue. I do so love sampling different foods and different traditions, not to forget the different drinks either Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
Though I have skied in Austria over Christmas we didn't have the Austrian traditional Christmas meal of fried carp. Has anyone had it and what is it like. Is it worth a trip to Austria to sample?

That's just Vienna, and normally baked I think. I haven't tried it, not really into freshwater fish (other than Nile Perch, which is incredible). I think they have a special type of sausage in the Salzkammergut.

Only time I've eaten the traditional local Christmas meal, it was a fondue - in Ischgl. We normally do that with friends for New Year now (which is also my gf's birthday).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy