Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-ing at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all I am new to this forum ... I have what is probably an extremely stupid question to anyone who's skied at Christmas before, but it's been bugging me for a few days ...

I've just booked a family ski trip over the Christmas week and was wondering if all the ski lifts, etc are open on Christmas day? I've skied before but never at Christmas time! Also wondering about the lessons as my brother will be taking some.

I hope so, as after a quick present opening session we're hoping to get out and enjoy some powder rather than stay in watching Only Fools and Horses and eating copious amounts of quality street.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paulfender1, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

IME (in France at any rate) everything is as normal on Christmas Day on the mountain. Christmas Eve afternoon/evening could be quieter as people celebrate with their families etc but there will probably be some sort of entertainment in many resorts Pere Noel, torchlit descents ...

Where are you off to? Someone here can probably give you more specific info
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I;m not suire the resorts in Scotland open on Christmas Day, but the continental resorts certainly do. You;ll have a great time
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, we're staying in Soldeu, Andorra. Only ever skied in France before so not sure what I'm letting myself in for in Andorra either but I guess you have to try these things!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Soldeu at Christmas ?
I'm afraid all lifts shut from 2pm Christmas Eve until 8am on 27th Sad

only joking, I'm sure it'll be open
hope you have a good trip.
oh and Welcome to Snowheads Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We skied Seiseralm/Alpe de Suisi on Chrissie day. Had a great day with the place to ourselves. I remember that day as I ploughed head first into powder and did a cartwheel. Not a good feeling with ski boots and skis on Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Even the dustbin men work on xmas day in French ski resorts on Xmas day!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing wrote:
Even the dustbin men work on xmas day in French ski resorts on Xmas day!

and more importantly so do the gendarmerie to nick you / tow you for parking in the wrong place...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, the voice of experience?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always go skiing at Christmas. Everything is open Christmas day but in some resorts things may be close down during the late afternoon/ evening of Christmas eve. It is much better in a ski resort over Christmas than in England.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've not had a Christmas in the UK for well over 30 years for exactly the reasons quoted - sitting around on the sofa bickering about crap TV and stuffing yourself stupid out of sheer boredom! If I'd been in the UK every year, I'd have been done for murder long long ago!

Christmas Eve is the important day in Europe with lessons, lifts, shops and restaurants all closing/stopping either slightly earlier (lessons and lifts sometimes) shops at midday and restaurants depending entirely on the owners. Even in hotels many of the staff are often "missing" as they go home to their families, but the are has always been enough people to ensure guests have a really good evening. Christmas Eve is the family time, with most families having a special dinner (not turkey!) and then exchanging presents after the meal.

I've spent Christmas in French, Swiss, Italian and Austrian resorts over the years and have to say that I have never lost snow time as a result and the one time I lost lesson time it was made up for in bucket loads by the instructors either Christmas Day or during the rest of my time with the ski school. Staying in hotels in Austria these days, it reminds me more of the kind of family-based Christmas I had as a small child rather than the orgy of receiving (and the pressure to give presents), eating and drinking it seems to have become in the UK.

I think you will have a fabulous time wherever you are if you embrace the local traditions rather than bemoan them which is what I'm afraid I have all to often seen and heard British tourists do in the past.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey Paul, have a look at http://www.grandvalira.com/en for some more info, it will be open for Christmas day.

I have not decided if I will heading that way or over to Arcalis, I guess it will depend on snow conditions. Although the thought of doing a naked ski from the top of Arinsal down to the village is not without merit (maybe a small Union-Jack thong to protect the innocent).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, when you put it that way it makes me wonder why we're at home this Christmas. Apartment is empty so far, but no chance of getting away.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, go for it! You will never have another Christmas in the UK once you've tried it! wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

was wondering if all the ski lifts, etc are open on Christmas day?

Nah, we close on our busiest day of the season. Laughing Laughing

It is indeed a silly question, but take comfort from the fact that you're a very long way from being the only person to wonder about it. And I imagine that for every one who asks there are another three who found out elsewhere rather than making a twit of themselves at the ticket office.
ski holidays
Mt Baker doesn't open Xmas day as we found out once, fortunately with enough time to drive down to Alpental which did and was brill.
snow report
I have to agree with Samerberg Sue, . I first skied 8years ago at Christmas and spent the next 6 Christmas' skiing. We did New Year last year so had Chrismas at home... never again! Christmas morning is great as the slopes are relativly quiet with hardly any locals out, due to the big night on christmas eve.
Only downside is the often limited snow but you do get quite good with icy conditions.
snow report
Lizzard, wouldn't have thought it was a particularly silly question. Seen far more daft ones than that here.

Still, phew and all that, at least one snowHead won't make a twit of himself at the ticket office.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice guys.

You'll also be safe in the knowledge that despite being new I have plenty more stupid questions where that one came from!

Went to the slope in Hemel today... Excitement levels are reaching new heights and I asked myself a question I haven't asked for a fair few years ...

Is it Christmas yet!?
snow conditions
airbornebadger wrote:
Although the thought of doing a naked ski from the top of Arinsal down to the village is not without merit (maybe a small Union-Jack thong to protect the innocent).

Anyone have a large flag they can lend me so I can join Airbornebadger!?
ski holidays
We skied xmas week in france and xmas day was a little disappointing. Everywhere was open, it was business as usual and just like a normal day.
There were no real festivities and we cam e home feeling liked we had 'missed' xmas completely.
This year we are staying home and skiing new year.
latest report
I spent Christmas in Lech once and absolutely hated it. More graven images, schmalzy music and dirndls/lederhosen than you could shake a stick at. I had an almost uncontrollable urge to shout 'Achtung, Spitfire!' in a lift queue.
snow report
We spent xmas with the kids (3 -5) in Oz en Oisans one year - Santa arrived by parachute! That was all we needed, it was fantastic!
ski holidays
Er, yes, Xmas... dead time at work, crap time in the UK as everyone is vomiting in the streets or rabidly buying junk for each other... I always go to the snow then.

In North America xmas itself can be very quiet as Americans at least like to stay at home at that time. It's therefore the cheapest time of year to rent a helicopter for example.

The main problem these days is that the seasons have moved later, so you can't be sure of good snow conditions in resorts.

Of course it's "just like a normal day" - that's why I like it; I like normal days.
snow report
Most ski resorts only have a limited window of 10 to 20 weeks every year to fleece their visitors.

Every day is precious.

Your ski resort will be fully or near-fully open on Santa's Day.
snow conditions
Not a silly question at all. Most if not all of the smaller resorts in the eastern Pyrenees close at lunchtime on Christmas Day. I don't know about Andorra though... and my guess would be that neither of the (relatively large) resorts close since they're so international. That's only a guess though.
ski holidays
At our resort we have a torchlight parade on Christmas Eve, so there is no night skiing (lifts close at 4pm) for the public. Christmas Day is usually fun, Santa skis around with his elves and hands out candy to everyone, and the mountain is usually quiet. We start getting busy after lunch on the 26th as everyone drives in then.
snow conditions
Quote:

We skied xmas week in france and xmas day was a little disappointing. Everywhere was open, it was business as usual and just like a normal day.
There were no real festivities and we cam e home feeling liked we had 'missed' xmas completely.

Isn't that the point of skiing at Christmas? To miss the dismal time in the UK.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

That really depends on whether or not you view xmas in the uk as dismal.
We tend to enjoy xmas day at home, we have a young daughter who still enjoys waking up to masses of presents and the arrival of family bearing more gifts.
Whilst away we could obviously not take all her gifts with us so ended up taking just one present each. Xmas mornin g in a small hotel room was pretty drab.

On the plus side the slopes were great and i really enjoyed that. We made an effort with seasonal hats (santa style) but got strange looks from everyone else. I felt like shouting 'ffs is xmas everyone'.
I love my skiing but wouldn't do it again until the little one has left home.
snow report
Corduroy, we ski at Christmas most years (but not this one). We have an apartment, and drive there, so take pressies with us, mainly ski related. Champagne for breakfast, good lunch out , then we cook a meal in the evening (all prep done the previous day) There's usually a lot of people in Santa hats and a couple of years ago, we bumped in to the whole Nativity scene out skiing, including a 6ft 2 baby Jesus with a beard. As the French tend to celebrate on Christmas Eve with a festive dinner,Santa is in the village in the afternoon giving out sweets, and there is vin chaud and torchlight skiing followed by fireworks. Christmas morning on the slopes tends to be quiet, but I quite like it that way.
Now remind me again why we are staying at home this year?
latest report
Can anyone tell me what the traditional French fayre is on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in the Tarantaise?
ski holidays
Has anyone got any more tips for xmas get away?
As mentioned on the other xmas thread, we are looking to go the 3valleys as we have been before. Staying previously in
La Tania and Courchevel 1550 and La Praz.
I was thinking Val Thorens, mainly due to the height of the resort.
Would welcome any tips and reccomendations for places to stay.
I keep going round in circles and am conscious that time is getting on.

My girlfriend is competent boarder but is more comfortable on blues.

Thanks
snow conditions
Hmm, Christmas away sounds v tempting, kids with Ex, dad in Oz with big sis so just me and the cat here! May well start bargain hunting in 3 or 4 weeks time!
latest report
Quote:

6ft 2 baby Jesus with a beard.

My brother is moonlighting Puzzled
ski holidays
Corduroy wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

That really depends on whether or not you view xmas in the uk as dismal.
We tend to enjoy xmas day at home, we have a young daughter who still enjoys waking up to masses of presents and the arrival of family bearing more gifts.
Whilst away we could obviously not take all her gifts with us so ended up taking just one present each. Xmas mornin g in a small hotel room was pretty drab.

On the plus side the slopes were great and i really enjoyed that. We made an effort with seasonal hats (santa style) but got strange looks from everyone else. I felt like shouting 'ffs is xmas everyone'.
I love my skiing but wouldn't do it again until the little one has left home.

Maybe try a catered Chalet holiday. It does cost more but generally the Chalet Hosts plan to have a fun Christmas because its also their Christmas. But being away doesn't suit everyone Smile
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the traditional French fayre is on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in the Tarantaise?

For Reveillon on Christmas Eve, there tends to be a lot of oysters, smoked salmon and foie gras in the shops, and I think they tend to have beef instead of turkey. They will follow this with a cheese course, then Bouche de Noel is the traditional dessert, with most of the boulangeries and pattiseries selling them if you don't want to make your own. Different regions of France have different traditions.
ski holidays
Thank you Hells Bells, I knew about some of the traditions in other regions of France but not in the Tarantaise.

I would be interested to hear what foods, and where, Snowheads have eaten in the Alps for Reveillon and on Christmas day.
latest report
CaravanSkier, Christmas day tends to be just like any other I think, the Christmas eve meal is the main one.
snow report
Though I have skied in Austria over Christmas we didn't have the Austrian traditional Christmas meal of fried carp. Has anyone had it and what is it like. Is it worth a trip to Austria to sample?
latest report
Quote:

traditional Christmas meal of fried carp

I had to re-read that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy