Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort with worst apres?

Poster: A snowHead
What are the quietest resorts you've been to which are absolutely dead in the evenings and not much in the way of afternoon apres?

I realise some people don't want rocking apres, and for some families a quiet town is what they look for - so it's not necessarily a bad thing!

For me: Flaine, Serre Chevalier and Pila were all ghost towns at night.

Nassfeld was pretty quiet as well, the bar at the bottom of the main run was OK 4-6pm, but that was it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arcs 1950
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Belle Plagne or Claviere for me
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Piccadilly, yeah Nassfeld. Remote and lifeless. I went there ad hoc once and none of the "zimmer frei" places would even sell me a room.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Villard Reculas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
montgenevre
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I found even Avoriaz was quiet in the evenings when you looked out the window, but the restaurants and bars were busy enough. Just not that obvious from the outside which was actually quite nice Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peyragudes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gressonay, you can hear a garage door slam at five miles.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Piehole wrote:
Villard Reculas.

lol i hear Oz-en-Oisans is pretty dead too
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Flaine, Serre Chevalier and Pila
All positively Geordie Shore-esque compared to the tiny 'resort' of San Simone near Foppolo. (Which bit of Serre Che by the way? We thought Briancon was fine.)

We didn't stay at San Simone overnight (we were down the road in the town of Branzi) but it seemingly comprises a tiny indoor mall containing two tiny cafe/bars..... Confused It was a pleasant enough for an afternoon of skiing though.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 9-11-12 12:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skola wrote:
Mr Piehole wrote:
Villard Reculas.

lol i hear Oz-en-Oisans is pretty dead too

My memory of VR is as follows:

1) A tiny pub (usually closed) with a velcro dartboard.
2) A highly recommended restaurant, with dog sh*t under the table.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not so much 'worst' as 'none': Vaujany. But I liked it all the same. Apres for me means lengthy and thorough ablutions (including swim and sauna if possible) immediately after skiing and leisurely after-dinner drinking, in congenial company and in the same building in which I've had dinner.

The only possible reason to go out after dinner is for music and/or dancing (and that's a perfectly good reason.)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skir67, we had a great time in Montgenevre, but then there were 40 of us so we kind of brought the party with us!

Same in Valmeinier which would otherwise have been deserted.

mountainaddict, we probably should have stayed in Briancon, it was one of the other towns, I think the one at the opposite end!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flaine and Arc 1600
ski holidays
Lake Louise was real quiet. Didn't bother us but party animals would struggle.
snow report
lilywhite wrote:
Lake Louise was real quiet. Didn't bother us but party animals would struggle.

Have a steak, down your bottle of duty free then try to crash the staff bar/nightclub at the Chateau. Happy Days. Chumbawumba will never be the same for me.
snow conditions
France Twisted Evil
latest report
Sansicario.

Even the horse sold up and left.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Piccadilly, yeah Nassfeld. Remote and lifeless. I went there ad hoc once and none of the "zimmer frei" places would even sell me a room.

Obviously these people get more then enough money with renting their apartment for (at least) week. There's simply noone who would want to give you apartment or room for less then week. Nevertheless I still love this place, especially since it's less then 1h drive from me Smile
latest report
Fattes13, Was going to say Kilternan - but it has no apres let alone the worst ! Skullie
snow report
Stuben, almost nothing there. Of course St Anton isn't far away...
latest report
primoz, never skied in Nassfeld, but have been around there on the MTB a few times. Is the skiing actually any good?
snow conditions
homers double wrote:
Sansicario.

Even the horse sold up and left.

Laughing

The place is shut! Confused
latest report
We asked the crystal rep why it was so bad, apparently all of the appartments are owned by people living in Turin, they buy their goods in the valley and come up for the weekend spending very little in resort.
snow report
homers double,
They spent a few mill Euro on the place, opened it for a couple of weeks in 2006, now it's a Scooby Do set. Razz
latest report
The olympic legacy eh...
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Apres for me means lengthy and thorough ablutions (including swim and sauna if possible) immediately after skiing and leisurely after-dinner drinking, in congenial company and in the same building in which I've had dinner.

+1, except substitute the word 'perfunctory' for 'lengthy and thorough' and 'before, during and after-dinner...' for 'after-dinner...'

Trouble is I only get this kind of Apres on solo trips as my ski-gang insist on table-dancing to euro-trash while consuming innumerable liquid nitrogen cocktails from 3.30pm until the next morning.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 8-11-12 15:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ where's this!? Can I come?
latest report
Piccadilly wrote:
^ where's this!? Can I come?

Laughing I'm pretty sure you're going somewhere similar anyway...
snow report
Piccadilly, you are named after one it's most famouos bars... wink
snow report
Piccadilly, agree about Flaine, but disagree with you about Serre Chevalier. Villeneuve and Briancon have plenty of stuff going on, but you don't go to Monetier for the wild nightlife, especially not if you want eurotrash and table dancing (which I don't). There's live music in the bar and plenty of good restaurants though.
snow conditions
Chantemerle used to be OK what with the Yeti - now knocked down and turned into apartments...grrrrr. Certainly could get lively in there Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Chasseur, red 27, Toofy Grin

Hells Bells, we must have been staying in Monetier. I'm starting to sound like I really hate Serre Che, it wasn't *that* bad .. just not for me.
ski holidays
narc, You haven't been to Willis Pilstube then? I know 3-4 great après places in Stuben with great nights there, you need to know where to go and what night! Most French high level ski resorts apart from Val and Meribel are pretty dead IME, had little après in all but Tignes, apart from Alpaca which is ok.
ski holidays
Well, I wouldn't recommend staying at Fernie's ski-in hotels if you want Apre-ski, there's nothing at all!
latest report
RichardB, you think fernie is bad, try Mt Baker. Staying down in Glacier, there's one pizza restraunt/bar. One market. One liquor store. No phone reception, No TV reception.

Ate alot of pizza, Watched alot of dvds, drank alot of whiskey in the hot tub... Actually, after Whistler it was rather pleasant...
snow report
Piccadilly, yep, it does sound like it, but don't worry each to their own.
snow conditions
North Star at Lake Tahoe. Billed as 'Family friendly', presumably because everything was shut by 9pm so kids could get to sleep in complete quiet. Ended up eating and drinking in the apartment most nights as that was the liveliest place in the resort rolling eyes Utter cr@p.
snow conditions
Not a big apres skierbut La Thuile was pretty desperate on my visit just could not find a decent bar for a drink, liked the skiing and the hotel we stayed in though just nothing to do at night other than look at snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy