Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Complete Newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I don't know if any of you can help me but I completely new to all things snow-based! As a surprise for my partner, I have booked an adventure to Kiruna over the upcoming new year for 6 days. We won't be doing any skiing or snowboarding unfortunately but I have booked us on two guided tours, one being husky sledding and the other being a snow mobile based activity for 3-4 hours. I have been doing a lot of research on various basic things that we need and am slightly over-whelmed with it all. My first question is what equipment/clothing would you deem necessary and my second question (well more asking for advice really!) is which goggles would you recommend for me and my partner (male)? My main concern is that I am quite sensitive to light and have to wear sunglsses most of the time even in winter otherwise my eyes stream! I have been looking for ages and seem to be given different advice depending on what company I go to and from asking various friends. I don't have a massive budget and as I'm not sure if it will be something we would do again,l I don't really want to spend an absolute fortune on things we may never use again.

Sorry for those that get exasperated with completely clueless people like myself, but we all had to start somewhere Smile

Thanks in advance. [/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In simple terms you will need;

-Base layer, thermals

-Mid layer/layers (depending on how the cold effects you) either a fleece top or a few combined thermal layers, like a fleece and another base layer style t shirt with some sort of thermal properties.

- outer shell - this is your top layer and needs to be somewhat water proof although in the snow you don't always have up go for the best quality as its not as penetrating as rain. Again if your prone to getting cold then a shell with some sort of thermal insulation might be a good idea... The choices are either goose down or primaloft, which is a synthetic cotton wool type material.

Accessories - warm gloves, hat, scarf/buff and socks

Eyewear - if you have problems with your eyes then going slightly darker with your lens tint might be advisable. I'd recommend a set of bollé modulators goggles. The lens adapts to the light conditions and either gets darker or lighter depending in the sun strength. I picked up a new pair off of eBay last year and they only cost £25.

Hope that helps a little
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and welcome to snowheads by the way Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ladylou, does the company you are travelling with or the hotel you are staying in not lend out 'arctic' gear?

We are doing something very similar next year to see the Northern Lights with the activities you mention and we have had to give our measurements to the travel agent so they can make sure appropriate clothing is available for us. The details for our trip told us not to buy any gear just to stress the point. Might be worth checking before you spend money, a friend told me the hotel he stayed in lent him arctic gear.

That said I doubt you would get goggles with sufficient UV tint for you. I'd concurr with tomb, that photo chromatic lenses is the way to go for this but wouldn't advise spending a fortune.

Hope you have fun
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ladylou, Do the activities you have planned involve a lot of exertion? If so then the advice above is spot on. On the other hand if you are just an inactive passenger you will need to dress accordingly. Your outer layer plus your hand and foot wear will have to be very warm.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi and welcome. You may well find that for the snow mobile activity you will be provided with a motorbike style helmet with visor. If you google the the centre your doing that activity with you will no doubt find pictures of people engaged in that activity, check out what they are wearing. The times I have been on snowmobile safaris I have been provided with a very well insulated boiler suit too.
You can pick up goggles cheaply in TK maxx.
Don't wear light colours or keep your mouth open behind the dogs, they don't stop for calls of nature!
The above advice re layering is quite right, avoid wearing cotton, when it gets wet it stays wet and will make you miserable, with the exception of merino wool and down insulation choose manmade fabrics they are your friend in the snow. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only done the snowmobile thing once, but we weren't offered anything in the way of helmets of any other protective / warm clothing. That was about 10 years ago, but was a TO outing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
husky sledding is like watching 6 pencil sharpeners bod up and down on slinkies, as you're not moving it gets cold, VERY cold, I would suggest taking a rucksack/pack with an extra set of your base layers in, nothing worse than being cold sat looking up a dogs bottom!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all

thanks for the above advice, I have nearly everything that is mentioned in the comments and have got plenty of base layers for me and my partner. I have got us both some goggles now and found them on ebay, I ordered a Trespass Freyr pair for my partner and a Bolle photo chromatic pair for me, I got them second hand and both pairs combined were still very cheap. We are staying at the Icehotel and although they do lend out equipment, I don't know if it will fit my partner properly as he is very muscular and 6ft 4. I prefer to try stuff on knowing it will fit and do the job properly so I don't get any nasty surprises when we get there! We are doing our trips through Kiruna Guidetour as they were MUCH cheaper than the Icehotel and come very highly recommended through tripadviser so fingers crossed

Thank you all again for your help and advice, I dd find it all really useful and it's definitely good to have people on board who know what they are talking about.

Thanks

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Your partner is unlikely to have problems with gear as the Scandies and Icelandic people have quite a large population of rugged men! 1 of our party is the same height as your man but a little (actually a lot) on the lardy side and had no issue with the arctic suits/boots available and whilst I'm not so tall I do have a 36 inch inside leg and again had no problem with length (thank god for the braces Very Happy )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah take base layers thermals polo necks T-shirts to wear under your base layers sweaters long sleeved T-shirts are also good keep you warm under your sweater on top of your polo neck. Snow boots a good pair will cost you but are a worthwhile investment and as we are having quite harsh winters over here at the moment will be useful at other times as well a good ski or snowboard jacket and ski bottoms or artic survival gear is also worth while as is a good beanie goggles I have the Oakley A frame but they are a bit on the expensive side so the ones that react to light that other people mentioned would probably be good for you gloves are a must with gloves you get what you pay fore really I have some £60.00 Salomon gortex gloves that keep my hands warm in all but the very coldest weather even in -20 I didn't have frost bite mittens might be warmer. Suntan lotion even if it's cold sunburn is surprisingly common sun reflects off the snow and will burn you a good factor 30 for your face should do. and last but not least bring some chocolate with you because the cold can sap energy.

Oh and If you have any free time there and fancy trying skiing or snowboarding lessons I highly recommend trying it as I'm sure most people on here do
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher, it might depend on where you are, I did it in Canada four years or so ago, and we were supplied helmets. Can't remember eye protection though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RibenaRockstar,

I don't remember exactly, but from the crowd I was with it was either Italy or France. Probably Italy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy