Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have brand new Liberty LTE's - I want to sell them to get full set of Ski equipment?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!
So essentially, I won a brand new pair of Liberty LTE's. They're great! However, they have no bindings, and I don't own boots, etc. So I was wondering, what do you reckon I could sell these ski's for and more importantly: what equipment would you recommend I buy with the money? I am about 6ft 1, 14 stone and apparently these LTE's are a bit small fo rme anyway? (They only come up to my chin).
I'm going away on a Ski trip to Austria in December so I would like to get all my equipment sorted by then.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JDDMorgan,
I don't know what the skis are worth, I'd put them on the Bay and see what happens. I've noticed that skis do make reasonable prices on there.

I'd get yourself a good jacket and ski pants.

Its best to rent your skis and boots unless your a fanatic ...
Then get boots! ... but make sure they are the right colour ... then if they fit that's a bonus!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrLawn wrote:
JDDMorgan,
I don't know what the skis are worth, I'd put them on the Bay and see what happens. I've noticed that skis do make reasonable prices on there.

I'd get yourself a good jacket and ski pants.

Its best to rent your skis and boots unless your a fanatic ...
Then get boots! ... but make sure they are the right colour ... then if they fit that's a bonus!

Loving your work there Doc
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DrLawn, and they say the art of snide sarcasm is dead. 'Oh no it's not' I say right back at them.

JDDMorgan, what exactly are you after?
Quote:

all my equipment

covers quite a range of possibilities? Also what length are the LTEs?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you skied before? If not don't bother with skis yet as what suits you now will be too slow/boring very soon! Properly fitted boots will be way more comfortable than anything you hire so splash out on those before skis. Go to a fitter who knows what they a talking about, be totally honest about your ability and ambition and let them choose the boot that is best for you.
Other than that if you really mean all your kit it is quite a long list!
Thermals (merino wool is great, and doesn't get stinky in a couple of days!
Gloves or mittens, and liner gloves if your hands feel the cold.
Helmet or hat(s)
Goggles
Mountain rated sun glassess
Mid layer clothing
Jacket
Ski trousers
Socks
Buff or scarf
Sun cream
After sun cream
Chapsticks
Ski poles
And a load of other things I've forgotten but other people will consider essential!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt Agree about the boots.

Good watch - don't want to miss the last lift! Possibly neoprene face mask for the bad weather. Bag to put it all in? I find it helps to take a bandana, paracord, a folding knife and a change of socks (just in case) as well.

But then I am certifiably mad.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, thanks for all the advice!
I guess the sensible thing to would be to ebay/gumtree them and see how much I get for them first...
Then I'm guessing I should get a Ski Jacket, Salopettes and googles. Then if I've got much left I will get some boots.
I have size 12/13 feet (UK adult of course), does anyone have any recommended brands which are not TOO expensive? - I've got about 2 months ski-ing expereince under my belt (I can parallell ski, etc) if this makes a difference?
Ta' !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You still have not said what length they are ......

On the following scale where do you lie?

Level One: "Never-Ever"
Level One skiers are first time skiers who have never skied before.

Level Two
Level Two skiers are cautious novices who are able to do a " snow plow" (wedge) turn both ways and are able to stop, but linking turns smoothly may be difficult. zSB(3,3)Level Two skiers may have skied once or twice before.

Level Three
Level Three skiers are confident novices who are able to stop and make round snow plow turns on easy beginner trails.

Level Four
Level Four skiers are cautious intermediate skiers who can link turns but still moderate speed. Level Four skiers ski in a small wedge and their skis may even be parallel at the end of the turn on green or easy blue trails. Level Four is a transition level in which skiers will begin to ski more blue intermediate runs.

Level Five
Level Five skiers are intermediates who are confident on easy blue runs and ski mostly parallel but may at times use the wedge to begin a turn or to stop. Level Five skiers may be cautious on intermediate trails that are slightly steep or icy.

Level Six
Level Six skiers confidently make parallel turns on blue runs but do not ski many advanced trails. Level Six skiers use their poles to time turns. A Level Six skier is interested in learning to ski better on more challenging terrain.

Level Seven
Level Seven skiers ski controlled parallel turns and can ski very well on blue trails. Level Seven skiers can control their speed and rhythm on black diamond trails, but they are looking to ski on challenging trails with better style. Level Seven skiers can adjust the size and length of their turns and are learning to ski on a variety of different types of snow and terrain.

Level Eight
Level Eight skiers ski with good technique on all terrain and snow conditions. Level Eight skiers can ski moguls and are able to ski black diamond trails with confidence using carved turns.

Level Nine
Level Nine skiers enjoy the challenge of difficult ski trails and ski moguls, steeps, and other black diamond terrain.

How much do you weigh? (All this goes to the type of boot)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very thorough list! - I guess I'm level 5. Also I'm about 14 stone. Not sure about the ski length's, I'm not near them atm, but I will measure them tommorow and let you guys know.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JDDMorgan, Boots, don't try and decide what you want, go to a good fitter, answer all the questions they come up with honestly and let them do the job and select the boots that best match your foot and the skiing you want to do in them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JDDMorgan, very good advice from davkt. As a 5 - use the opportunity to try on various makes of boots and remember that you should improve so if you think you will only get one season out of a pair of intermediate boots, it's prob not worth it (unless it's the whole season, of course Madeye-Smiley ). That said, I think boots are the single most important piece of ski kit and rental boots are often significantly different from purchased boots that shape to your feet. You might want to look at a decent custom liner and just source a second hand pair of boots here or on flea-bay, ditch the old liner in them and try those for a season or two. I personally like Nordica boots but it's usually down to your particular foot as to which manufacturer suits you best and a decent boot fitter will know this. If your feet are narrow, try Salomon as a starting point.

If you are based in London or nearby and want to swap the LTE's for kit I could sort you out. Not making promises but I think I could run to:

Thermals
Gloves.
Buff
Goggles/sun glasses - (combi version)
Mid layer clothing
Jacket
Ski trousers
Socks

all new, all branded kit, some from my stash, some we would source so you would have a (limited) choice. Rent the boots/skis/poles and you are sorted, mysun! This would depend on what size the LTE's are, of course, so get reading/measuring - some photos would be nice also. If you are interested pm your sizes to me and I can start checking some sources.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
one of our resident experts posted this advice about boots on another post I though t would interest you:

"10-15 years ago if you measured a 26.5 and put your foot into a 26.5 shell you would normally have 15mm of shell space, absolutely perfect BUT most boots are not fitted, they are tried on in the size you measure and 15mm when you do this simply feels too tight, so you would go and try another brand... the manufactures have added extra space over the years so that the boot feels great out the box when you put it on, now if you go back to the same 26.5 foot in the 26.5 shell you can have anything from 20mm (generous) to 30mm (massive) where they used to have 15mm (ideal)

all this does is tell us that shell sizing the boot is critical to get the fit you are looking for

example, i measure between 28.5 and 29.0 on a brannock measure, i use a UK11 in all my shoes, my head raptor race boot (which is a short internal size) is a size 28/28.5 shell,(which on the conversion chart is a uk 9.5), at the start of the season i put on the new salomon X Max 130 in a size 27.5 (yup 8.5 uk on the chart) and i could have skied in it without any work on the toe box at all, all the boot models are different even between models from the same brand, head raptor has an external length in a size 26.5 of 303mm where the head edge has a 309mm length in the same size

so, i am size 11 uk but fit comfortably into a size 8.5 ski boot...go figure..

shell check is key, don't trust the numbers on the sticker on the box, the measured numbers are simply a starting point, they tell the fitter more about the elongation and change of your foot size between seated and standing and help with boot and footbed selection, and can gauge tolerances around the foot based on what you measure and what size shoe you buy, for example if someone measures 27.5 and buys a size 11 shoe it is fairly obvious they do not like (or for some reason cannot tolerate) pressure around their foot, the same 27.5 foot may buy a size 7.5 or 8 and be comfortable with that...so there is no easy answer

hope that helop answer the question (a bit)"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JDDMorgan, Your Liberty LTE's are the name Liberty gave to the Phil Larose Pro ski after the 2008 season. LTE = Liberty Team Edition, and was the ski used by the Liberty ski team (obviously). I've skied the Larose Pro in a 178 cms for a week, on/off piste, new snow, and some toying in the play-pens. I'm a tad heavy at 95 kilos for these to be that good on piste, however I found them to have great feel, responsiveness, decent edge hold on hardpack even at speed. Lovely pop and snappiness due to the bamboo stringers, but my main grouse was the fact the top-sheet was vunerable and tended to chip bits off easily. If your a young-gun lightweight I'd be tempted to keep the skis 'cos they won't get much on Ebay, and certainly not enough to even half kit you out with lesser quality.

BTW, Ratty's advice on the boots is spot on. I even concur with the Nordica recommendation, as the boot width can be custom fitted out substantially.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Come on, Mr Morgan chop, chop - time is money.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy