Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski and boots recommended luggage solutions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have recently bought my first boots and skis. Is there a consensus on the best method for transporting them when going on holiday? Can anyone recommend a good bag that I can use for skis, boots and luggage or is that wishful thinking?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can recommend the SnoKart BlackKart system for something that does everything, as well as regular luggage. I did a review of it on my website, and will be following up with another review in december as I'll be using it for a 2 week trip.

http://www.kickingtyres.com/words/snow-sea-mountain-and-sport/snokart-black-kart-review/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any long roller bag. Check the weight of the bag though - some of them chew through your weight allowance empty. Anything that isn't a drag bag is a PITA.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Snokart system seems very good, with a well thought out design and great construction. But it's just too heavy for typical luggage allowances on most flights these days. IIRC it's about 10kg, so on many flights half your allowance is taken up by empty luggage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find I can fit my boots in my usual suitcase along with all my other clothing for the week.

Protip: fill them with socks and gloves and toothbrushes and things. Wear your big coat for the flight. Stuff the pockets with underpants and hats. I'm not kidding.

They'll take up approximately half of a normal holiday suitcase, leaving plenty of room for everything else. Then you only need a lightweight sleeve for your skis and poles, about a tenner off ebay, instead of some monster coffin thing costing hundreds.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
feef, I tried to get into dialogue with them last season about doing a SnoKart that took 191 fat skis, I like the concept - but no go, freeride skis are too non-mainstream apparently, so I bought another type, their loss. Wakey wakey SnoKart! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
feef, I tried to get into dialogue with them last season about doing a SnoKart that took 191 fat skis, I like the concept - but no go, freeride skis are too non-mainstream apparently, so I bought another type, their loss. Wakey wakey SnoKart! rolling eyes

It takes my 182 Movement Jams no problem. You MIGHT be able to squeeze one pair of 191 in at an angle, but it's a LOT of bag for one pair of skis if it means you can't fit in a second pair.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd never be able to get a huge bag containing skis, boots and luggage in and out of the car/transfer bus/house/hotel, so it's a separate ski bag for me (it's hard enough getting that in the car, basically at an angle on the passenger seat) and everything else in a wheeled holdall. I see people struggling with these huge behemoth bags and can't help wondering why...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1 x 2nd hand double ski bag, 1 x backpack that can take your boots and can double as a day sac when you get to the resort. Pack all your clothes in ski bag and all your valuables, your boots, a change of underwear and wash kit in the backpack in case they lose your ski bag.

Get a plank of 18mm ply slightly wider than your skis and about two feet long. Order 2 x 1m straps (you can use bungees as well), a skateboard truck, wheels and bearings off the internet (cheap ones), screw the truck to one end of the plank and the straps spaced at the other end and in the middle. Assemble the wheels and bearings on the truck. Strap to the end of the 2nd hand ski bag and what you end up with is a removeable set of wheels that are much cheaper than buying a wheeled ski bag, much higher quality than the wheels/axle you get on a wheeled ski bag and much cheaper and easier to replace. When flying, I take off the ply and pack it in the bag, that way you avoid damage to the wheels and reduce snagging. If you want to add a twist, screw on two in-line skate brakes to the back end of the plank. That way you can stand the bag upright and it doesn't skid or take damage and they also add protection when you are wheeling along. If you are really fly you decorate the ply either by spray painting to match the ski bag or - as I do - with the stickers one seems to get with every ski related purchase nowadays.

This set up fits all my skis and packs smaller than custom versions. Last time I used it I was hauling three pairs of skis via train and it worked really well. The real advantage is that it is much lighter than custom versions and if it gets lost, stolen or damaged then you are not 100's of £ out . Also when you are using a ski hole through the back seats of a car (or minicab), some of them are too small to take the wheeled ski bags - this set up usually fits fine.

One final point - thieves target costly wheeled ski bag set ups as they reckon - usually correctly - that the skis contained in them will be worth a lot more than those wrapped up in a 2nd hand ski bag with a truck strapped to it. My Whitedots and Liberty's therefore remain unmolested

This way you also avoid looking like a the Mr 'Michelein Man' Piehole Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy