Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

choose one ski resort you WOULDN'T go back to

Poster: A snowHead
djtj, well it must have been at 2,400m at some point, if only briefly.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John wrote:
djtj, well it must have been at 2,400m at some point, if only briefly.

Not if it was going from La Paz to Quito. and it had been made in one of those places and ..... err... only ever did that route! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Labro is still around, he has a beautiful Barbarella-stylee chalet (yes there are some) in the "old" part of town. He was a consultant on the latest resort expansion. Avoriaz has no maire, being part of the Morzine commune. The (ex)maire of Morzine did attempt suicide, being under a lot of pressure for taking-on the old-boys network in the local construction industry. Allegedly Confused .

CaravanSkier, I don't blame you for not wanting to come back given your experiences! A very reasoned explanation, and as you conclude it's horses-for-courses. With a few exceptions the PDS is not a motorway area, and those who only like that kind of skiing will be disappointed. The topography is a lot more higgledy-piggledy than the big open valley above the treeline expanses you prefer; hence less manicured and if you don't know where you're going can become a bit scary for some ...

I confess to having donned the "pull-rouge" in Avoriaz many years ago, and am therefore qualified to say the incidents you mention probably are more likely to occur in Avoriaz than a lot of other places. 150 odd moniteurs make things very impersonal and disorganised, I used to dread having to take a day off sick knowing my kids groups would be lucky if another instructor even showed up, let alone took any interest in them. Plus Annie Famose nicked the most secure area in the village centre for her Village des Enfants, forcing ESF to try to coral all the little munchkins on an open plateau on the edge of town.

I should add don't let this put you off a family holiday, the small independent ski schools do a great job, and the Village des Enfants is reputedly the best in the alps!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think it has been mentioned but I wouldn't choose to go back to Ishgl. I didn't like how a lot of the pistes funnelled into the same big bowl area. One side of the mountain seemed really windswept and bare of snow even when the other areas were in good condition so we rarely went there, the ski down to the village was horrendous (as viewed from the gondola) and I never found a run which I just wanted to ski again and again like I do in most resorts I have been to. I was there for 2 weeks so long enough to get to know it a bit. There are some other very small resorts which I went to when I was first learning to ski that I wouldn't choose to go back to for a weeks holiday again as they are very small (>30km I think), Rogla, Vogel, Pamporovo, but i enjoyed my holiday there at the time and would still recommend to a beginner.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shep wrote:

CaravanSkier, I don't blame you for not wanting to come back given your experiences! A very reasoned explanation, and as you conclude it's horses-for-courses. With a few exceptions the PDS is not a motorway area, and those who only like that kind of skiing will be disappointed. The topography is a lot more higgledy-piggledy than the big open valley above the treeline expanses you prefer; hence less manicured and if you don't know where you're going can become a bit scary for some ...

I confess to having donned the "pull-rouge" in Avoriaz many years ago, and am therefore qualified to say the incidents you mention probably are more likely to occur in Avoriaz than a lot of other places. 150 odd moniteurs make things very impersonal and disorganised, I used to dread having to take a day off sick knowing my kids groups would be lucky if another instructor even showed up, let alone took any interest in them. Plus Annie Famose nicked the most secure area in the village centre for her Village des Enfants, forcing ESF to try to coral all the little munchkins on an open plateau on the edge of town.
!

Interesting Shep! I am glad to hear ski school incidents such as those I mention are not so likely elsewhere. I would also hope they are not likely at all anywhere these days though!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 16-11-12 23:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lynseyf, If a (wo)man is tired of Ischgl (s)he's tired of life. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I only got halfway down page 1 and was already astounded by some comments. Just a couple that got me was snowymums comments about Les Coches. It may not be ideally situated for La Plagne, though it's by no means bad but it is ideally located for covering the full Paradiski. Also personally I think the local skiing is excellent. Plus it's actually a pleasant village. The other comment was moffatross's "I wouldn't choose to go to St Anton or Alpe D'Huez". Those are two of the finest resorts Europe IMO. No reason was given though so I've no idea what the problem was.

However, a lot of people mentioned Le Deux Alpes. I've only been for one day but I have to say on the evidence I would agree. Didn't enjoy Serre Chevalier too much either.

Anyway, I guess are differences is what makes life interesting.

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serre Chevalier, heading towards Briancon in late Jan, and round one corner the piste became a running stream. That can happen anywhere I guess, but made us laugh, then later groan as we checked the bottom of our skis. There are some good tree runs, but the layout of the resort, basically zigzagging up and down one long face, means you never get the sense that you are discovering a mountain range. I think there's only one place where you get to go ther 'the other side'. And the string of little villages along the bottom are dull, dull, dull.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am sure that this has been said, but I would ski anywhere as long as it is not in holiday times. Win, win , win; No crowds, at least 50% cheaper, and I dont` have to pay for my kids or listen to them whinge.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne - I'm sure I said on my post that I went to Les Coches before the link to Les Arcs. I can see that things will have changed now the resorts are linked. If I were to go back to Paradiski I would either base myself on the Les Arcs side (I love the skiing there) or possibly try somewhere higher in La Plagne (Belle Plagne maybe).

We went to La Plagne 10 yrs ago and have skied most years since in other resorts. The last time I recall being in a lift queue of any size was in La Plagne waiting for one of the lifts to get back to the Les Coches/Montchavin area. It was the first week of Feb before French school holidays. The slopes above les Coches were quite icy in the afternoons. I was definitely not at my fittest that holiday as my son was less than a year old. However my husband who was fully fit did not enjoy the skiing there that much either. We were also unlucky with our chalet experience that holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
The other comment was moffatross's "I wouldn't choose to go to St Anton or Alpe D'Huez". Those are two of the finest resorts Europe IMO. No reason was given though so I've no idea what the problem was.

However, a lot of people mentioned Le Deux Alpes. I've only been for one day but I have to say on the evidence I would agree. Didn't enjoy Serre Chevalier too much either.

Anyway, I guess are differences is what makes life interesting.

rolling eyes

I'd never say never as I know there's some great terrain at Ad'H that isn't peppered with jester hatted ants and the opportunity to ski say St Anton's north Valluga to Zurs route would definitely put a smile on my face but I get most of my season's days on Scottish snow and only get to ski a couple of Alpine weeks so I have to draw up a shortlist of those holiday weeks based on experience. And for my liking, St Anton & Alpe D'Huez had a few too many dangerously overconfident, underskilled, drunken muppet Brits whose concept of snow sports seemed to be about who could piss the furthest, either literally or metaphorically (adjust ratio to resort as required wink ).

It's a personal thing and many other world resorts might make me feel the same way but if that had been my experience, they'd also end up on my 'wouldn't choose to' list.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comments I've seen on SHs (e.g. a bar full of noisy drunks still in their ski boots at 1 am) would dissuade me from going even a first time to some resorts. Equally, some trip reports have made me determined to make a visit (some of the Dolomites reports definitely fall in that category). There are so many hundreds of resorts, these decisions have to be made some way!

Some of the comments above read as though their author hadn't done any research - or thought very hard - about their choice of resorts in the first place.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Roflmao
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, yep, and the trouble with opinions from brochures, books, reviews and forum posts is that they're never going to seem objective unless they are our own because we all like different things and had different experiences.

Layne selectively quoted part of my "I wouldn't choose to go to St Anton or Alpe D'Huez again but I'd rather spend a week skiing anywhere than a week at work." statement, said he was astounded at my opinion and didn't understand because (until an hour ago) I hadn't justified it but then went on to write ...

"However, a lot of people mentioned Le Deux Alpes. I've only been for one day but I have to say on the evidence I would agree. Didn't enjoy Serre Chevalier too much either."

Forums eh ? Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moffatross, yes, but you can read a range of opinions. And its sometimes obvious why opinions vary. Some people positively seek out places likely to have plenty of pissed people around, others prefer somewhere quieter. Some people complain about lack of piste skiing in the same place that is lauded by another poster for the great off-piste available. You just have to read fairly broadly - and discount the reporters who blame poor snow on the resort, rather than luck. Just as you discount the ones who say "I went to resort X in mid December for a week once and the snow was great - you won't have any problem". They are only marginally less irritating than those who ask what the snow is going to be like in resort X in early March 2013.
ski holidays
Eh snowymum, I've only had recent experience of staying in Les Coches, and I can see reading your subsequent post why it may not have worked aswell for you as it did for me. I am not surprised people have different experiences of course, I was just surprised to Les Coches on this thread for the reasons I gave. It was meant to be a personal assault on you Very Happy

moffatross, frankly following..
Quote:
And for my liking, St Anton & Alpe D'Huez had a few too many dangerously overconfident, underskilled, drunken muppet Brits whose concept of snow sports seemed to be about who could wee wee the furthest, either literally or metaphorically

I'm just as astounded. Sorry Embarassed
snow conditions
Rauris, it was so British they even closed or had half days on Sunday
ski holidays
A lot of replies have been berated for disliking a resort on foot of bad weather and / or poor conditions. But it is true that there are remarkable microclimates in the mountains, and both snowfall, and preservation of snow, can vary markedly with consistent and statistically significant differences over the course of many years between resorts only 20 miles away from each other, or even 20 slopes on same mountain. Let alone effect of altitude and proxility to ocean etc. So I reckon fair enough to cross somewhere with consistenly less good snow off your go-back-to list
snow report
La Plagne- old slow lifts, dis-jointed lift system with diabolical bottle necks, full of arrogant French rude people and so flat there are rope tows for those on snow boards in the middle of some pistes. Absolutely no night life and death defying slope to return to La Plagne 1800. Well worth never ever visiting again plus the most expensive lift pass in Europe?
snow conditions
I don't think there's anywhere that I could say I'd not go back to. Certainly, there's some resorts and areas that I prefer, but none were so bad that I could say I'd not go back.

Maybe the Lecht
ski holidays
MJB wrote:
and death defying slope to return to La Plagne 1800.

Much easier to have a beer above Bellecote and catch the bus

snow report
Quote:

OK, Meribel may not have the best runs

Oops I misread this, but where will you find the best nuns?
latest report
November thread revival eh. Anyone changed their minds since last year?

For skiing I would have to agree that Les 2 Alpes is the only place I'd say, "uh, really?" if offered a freebie. Been five times in total, including an entire summer season, so know it fairly well. The biking is fantastic but in winter the main mountain is just a big tunnel and seriously disappointing. I kept hoping I would suddenly 'get it' but no, it's just crap. Even long-time seasonnaires say, "yeh but it's next to La Grave" which seems about as logical as choosing to live in Sheffield because you like being in Leeds. Never had too much trouble with the nightlife though, some nice little bars and honestly the nightclub(s) are only as dreadful as any French resort. If you're aiming for that region then Alpe d'Huez on the other side is much, much better all round.

Lot of criticism of the 3Vs here that confuses me though. After five seasons there I know I've barely scratched its terrain, so how people can describe it as boring is beyond me. Ok so a lot of Courch pistes are motorways, Meribel end of season can be 100% slush, and VT in high wind is not fun, but there are so many places to go you just plan around stuff like that. I completely understand being put off by the Celeb/Russian culture and gap year rah rah population though, best to just avoid certain bars (as you would in any town).
snow conditions
Quote:

Some of the comments above read as though their author hadn't done any research - or thought very hard - about their choice of resorts in the first place.

I think you also have to factor in the "what you already know" comfort factor too.
It's easier and more convenient to return to where you know than try somewhere else, and if you do try somewhere else it will always be compared, critically to what you know or where you've been before. So has to be 25% better, and stand out as better in almost every respect to be "better".

Rubbish like 20min wait for a gondola to get on to the mountain at Mayrhofen instantly marks that place down for a great number of people that would be more than happy to queue for 20 minutes to get on the first chair out of Avoriaz. But the latter is Ski-in/Ski-out, so is better, even if you can only ski out down a green path to a 20 minute scramble for the lift.

Pretty much every place I've been gets marked in the top 10 "must go back" and the bottom 10 "will never go back", both at the same time.
snow report
Quote:
hah, how did that come about? I don't think it'll be hitting the TO's brochures any time soon...

Pyremaniac, Got a great chance to teach privatley for a week, with some lovely people and took it, the resort was small and charming it was the village I found it quite dark and grim and the train ride up after day 2 was tedious!
snow conditions
Quote:

I think you also have to factor in the "what you already know" comfort factor too.
It's easier and more convenient to return to where you know than try somewhere else, and if you do try somewhere else it will always be compared, critically to what you know or where you've been before.

Which is why we're back to Vallandry for the umpteenth time running Laughing
snow report
Milton Keynes! Long queues, overpriced, rubbish food and limited ski area. Wink
ski holidays
Predeal in Transylvania, nothing wrong it, in fact it is a perfect place for new skiers to have their first go in the mountains but by the end of the first week in the mountains you've skied it all so no reason to go back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll have another vote for L2A; spend two seasons at the place and have to say it was decidedly average in most areas IMO. The park on the glacier was amazing, very progressive and well built, but getting down the hill was a pain and one big funnel, the mountain is generally exposed to high winds (seemingly) the moment it snows which really pushes the avi danger out of all proportion. The town is a bit of a pit (or was in '08 the last time I was there), and although there are some nice bars once you get known the general feel of the place is not great.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Corky, I am not picking on you but this is a splendid example of one of my pet peeves.

Not going back to Cervinia I can understand, it doesn't light my wick (unless a heli drop onto a glacier is involved) - but surely, making a judgement on an entire ski area based on it beeing a bit breezy on the one unlucky week you were there is irrational?

I know what you mean here, but Cervinia is windy - it wouldn't just have been that one week. (Windy when I've been too.)

I wouldn't go back to Keystone unless I had no choice - terrible ski school for the kids (they lost one child on the mountain), and so high that some members of the family (not me) had altitude sickness. Plus the restaurants were crap and overpriced. And the skiing was pretty average.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 6-11-13 12:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yeah there are some areas that are just more exposed than others, like the vast majority of aspects in L2A! Unfortunately the wind left a lot of slopes pretty loaded with fresh snow and dangerous, as I was very quickly reminded of at one point in the season.
snow report
*edited* I had already replied to this!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 6-11-13 13:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Breckenridge. Very ordinary....with a headache.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Never been to Chamonix, but it doesn't look like my cup of tea. Ski areas not joined and spread out would annoy me.

First time I went to Chamonix, I hated it - mainly to do with having to take crowded buses up and down the valley in bad traffic.

The next (and subsequent) times I have been, I have absolutely loved it. The difference? Rented car from Geneva airport.

Chamonix is superb - breathtaking views, superb and challenging skiing, and plenty of reasonable and good places to eat in town in the evenings (it is a working town, not just a ski resort). Make sure you can drive yourself to the different areas, and it will change the whole experience!
ski holidays
Quote:

Make sure you can drive yourself to the different areas, and it will change the whole experience!

Nothing like spedning 30 min jaming on snow chains on a powder day! instead of getting up the lift. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

First time I went to Chamonix, I hated it - mainly to do with having to take crowded buses up and down the valley in bad traffic.

then

Quote:

The next (and subsequent) times I have been, I have absolutely loved it. The difference? Rented car from Geneva airport.

Does the traffic suddenly part when you are in a hire car Puzzled
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:
Quote:

Make sure you can drive yourself to the different areas, and it will change the whole experience!

Nothing like spedning 30 min jaming on snow chains on a powder day! instead of getting up the lift. Toofy Grin

If you can't do snow chains in about 5 minutes in the dark you probably aren't going get first chair on powder day - experience counts.
ski holidays
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany (twin-town Tamworth)
latest report
Wouldn't bother with La Plagne again; charges premiership prices but a national league experience (that's a rugby reference!).

Haven't been back to either Cervinia or Sauze D'Oulx since the 1980s - bound to have changed but there's lots of other places to visit so won't be returning to either.

Have no hankering to return to any of the Three Vallees, having stayed in Meribel, Courchevel and Les Menuires on more than one occasion; or Val D'Isere/Tignes. My preference these days is for skiing on a less 'industrial' scale.
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
skimastaaah,
Quote:

I Ya ne sprashavayu po Ruskii

What's that supposed to mean? What are you not asking? Confused

I think he means, "Ya nye gorovayu po Ruski", I don't speak Rusky.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy