Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob wrote:
Don't think there are many bad guides there - Francois Pinatel is very well respected (but sometimes not available due to ski instruction commitments), Manu Lestienne is fun.

For the very first SOPi ( or more accurately SOPi's predecessor, before admin kindly took the concept over) we had Manu as our La Grave guide. He was great, both as a guide, and to have a drink with at the end of the day. Assessed the group well, and took us down the hill within our capabilities, but still giving us a buzz. Recommended.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We will be in Puy st Vincent with the family in January as part of a two week trip (first week in Ste Foy) and are considering a day's trip to La Grave and would welcome some advice. We being myself and son (13) both strong skiers who have done a number of off-piste courses (as part of family holidays) in Puy, /Risoul/Ste Foy. I wouldn't consider going without a guide and I think we have two options:-
1 - Go with an instructor from the Puy ski school (Snowbizz ESI) , we know most of the instructors there and it would be great to see if there is anyone else who would like to make up a group that week
2- I've been in touch with the Bureau de Guides in La Grave. It seems they have a day programme 'Vallons de la Meije' for groups of up to 8 however I'm not sure if just two people can join a group? We don't have transceivers etc, would these be provided?

Any thoughts, advice much appreciated. We've been wanting to make the trip for some time and feel that our skiing is now of an adequate level to take the plunge!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you can hook up with someone who knows La Grave and who you can trust, then you can certainly ski the main descents without a qualified guide. The main ways down are essentially like the old school skiing I did in the 1960s - ungroomed, black-run gradient stuff that was very common around the Alps. Because it's ungroomed, the snow can be cut-up and bumpy - all great experience and a good challenge.

Many people know those main routes and they're not particularly complex. It's when you tackle the couloirs and more complex routes (which have killed numerous skiers) that the attitude has to change completely.

And it's very feasible from Les 2 Alpes, if accommodation is a problem in La Grave itself. There's the hike over the Dome, which takes about 20 mins from memory. Set off early and you can enjoy a stroll around the old village without staying there. There's a great refuge (this is a long time ago - Chancel?) halfway down the mountain, which is a good lunch stop.

I wouldn't ski La Grave at all in poor visibility - be assured of a reliable forecast of all-day blue skies. That's maybe another reason to stay in Les 2 Alpes if necessary, because all its rather boring skiing is well marked and skiable in less attractive weather.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As Comedy Goldsmith, it's possible to do the main routes without a guide if you are a competent skier and conditions are good.

However it must be stressed that many of the people you see skiing in one's and two's and quite often maybe a typical French family with young kids know the two main routes down, and have not turned up for the day. That said when the link from Deux Alpes is open that's when you get a lot of people who do not know the mountain, but as per the above post the main descents by then are pretty obvious, and for most there then able to say that they've skied La Grave.

I've been skiing / snow boarding there since 1997 and I probably only became confident at my own route finding on my own around four or so years ago, that is being able to ski Chancel, Vallons, find P2 as as well as the Chancel refuge, as well as various other routes including getting over to Vallons from Chancel via the ridge running parallel with the lift plus some other less popular routes.

And each year I still do some new routes, in fact a couple of years ago I was fortunate to ski a new route with a mate who is a guide and they had only just worked the route out that season and it was his first decent too!

Anyway if you're looking for some where to stay or even have lunch or a post ski drink in one of the best bars in the Alps then I can thoroughly recomend the Auberge Edelweiss and their excellent website http://www.hotel-edelweiss.com/ Laughing

And below a vid from last year which is up there with some of my best days ever in the mountains

girosse.mp4 from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38917618

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 3-12-12 13:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comedy Goldsmith,

La Grave has evolved a bit since you were there (they have electricity and skis with metal edges now).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One of the most dramatic descents (right from the glacier to the road):
http://youtube.com/v/R9Sz61SKuOE
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, nice vid thanks, I wouldn't want to ski with the bloke in red he was a proper prat. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone know if the link from Les Deux Alpes to La Grave is open this year. Had to drive over last year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bluenatic, easiski sent me this message exactly a week ago ...

"... it's too early for the LG link. They are open I think (delayed opening because of avvi risk, but if the link isn't open then you have to pay their liftpass too."
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've stayed at Skiers' lodge twice now, but have vowed not to go back until I've lost 2st, it's hard work carrying a gut around.

The point I want to make is that, despite the impression given by the SL website, it is actually possible to book in for any number of days, and it's no hassle to extend your stay should you choose (assuming they don't run out of rooms/ guides). Everything is very laid back when off the mountain.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been to La Grave many times in various conditions.

Unless you know it really well, go with a guide. Also, conditions can really make a huge difference and how recently it snow, too. A guide will be able to find the best and safest conditions, alone that would be very unlikely.

I always stay at either hotel castillan whcih is cheap and close to the lift and guides, or the hotel edelweiss which is a good walk from the lift, and up some stairs and is more expensive.

It's also possible to use La Grave as a base and ski other places in that area, if the conditions at La Grave aren't great, again a guide will know best.

I always try to ski with my favorite guide Boris Debeaune who is also a ski instructor, which can be nice!

debeauneboris AT yahoo DOT fr

Let me know if you hook up with him!
Ciao,
Bob
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gratefulfrog, many thanks Bob, solid info.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moffatross wrote:
bluenatic, easiski sent me this message exactly a week ago ...

"... it's too early for the LG link. They are open I think (delayed opening because of avvi risk, but if the link isn't open then you have to pay their liftpass too."

I was in L2A week before christmas and link not open then.. but then with all the snow in 2A it didnt matter to much,

Met up with Charlotte (Easiski) with regard to some op skiing and although she was to streched herself she v kindly put me in touch with Damien Albert who operates from Twinners/Shuss sport near the Diable chair,

Can certainly recomend him to anyone looking for guiding in L2A / LG
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scarbski,

Even if the snow-cat's not running from L2A to La Grave, you can always walk over. Last year I did that 3 or 4 times when the lift at La Grave was broken. As a result we were alone on 2200m of great untouched powder! It's not that tough a walk with skis on the backpack but the air's thin at 3600m

Although I've never skied with Damien, I've had lunch with him a few times. He's a really nice guy and people say a good guide. I'll be skiing with him and Boris next week in St Anton.

There's also quite a lot of good off-piste accessible from L2A, if you know where you're going. There are no markers to show the way.

Ciao,
Bob
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gratefulfrog wrote:
scarbski,

I'll be skiing with him and Boris next week in St Anton.

Ciao,
Bob

I remember him saying he was heading to St Anton, sure it will be an epic trip !!

Not envious at all.

Damien seems to know every lift attendant, ski intructor etc on the mountain, almost like skiing with royalty (probably) snowHead

Enjoy..
snow report
+1 for Damien. Not only a good guide, great instructor, ex French moguls champ but also great fun to ski with. Check out some of his vids ( of his clients).
latest report
The link between 2Alpes and La Grave won't open until mid to late January - this is always the case (to do with there being enough snow over the crevasses to support the snowcat, I'm told). As gratefulfrog says, you can hike it anyway, though it's going to be a very long walk because the Col and Lauze T-bars to the top only open when the link is operational.

You may all wish to note that the six-day 2Alpes pass no longer includes free access to La Grave - you now have to pay a 20€ supplement for a day over there. This can be paid either at the ticket office or directly to the snowcat man at the top. We won't sell it to you at the ticket window until we have the condition report from La Grave's pisteurs, which we usually get at about 09:30, o if you want to start early you might as well get straight up there and pay the snowcat man. Take cash.
latest report
Lizzard,

Are you sure about the T-bars being closed? I've seen them open many times even if the cat-link wasn't running, but maybe that was later in the season.

It's a shame that there's a supplement for La Grave from L2A now, that's bad news Sad

Thanks for that tip!

Ciao,
Bob
snow conditions
gratefulfrog, of course I'm sure, nitwit, I work for the lift company. Laughing

The T-bars open when the link starts running at the end of January, and then generally carry on doing so even on days when the link isn't actually open. So yes, it probably was later in the season.
ski holidays
Bit of a thread hijack here (sorry).

Apart from the Skier's Lodge are there any other guide outfits that let singles (or two people) join other groups. E.g. if I turned up on my own and wasn't in the Lodge would I be able to find a group to join or would I need to fork out for a guide for myself? I have nothing against the Skier's Lodge btw, just thinking out loud really Smile
ski holidays
sah,

There is a guide's hut where you queue at the bottom of the telecabine.

There is always a guide/pisteur there first thing evrey morning and they actually come out and tell the people waiting what the avalanche threat level is, before pinning up a notice. All very quaint in my view and part of the character of the place.

I think it unlikely they could match you up there and then, but if there is someone there during the day when you arrive, they might be able to help you.
snow report
sah, try these guys: http://www.snowlegend.com/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy