Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

choose one place you've been skiing you'd go back to tomorrow...

Poster: A snowHead
Anywhere in Austria. Love the traditional towns and the tree runs. Not anywhere in France - ugly, man-made resorts! Shock Would love to go to Canada or America too. Banff is on the wishlist for next couple of years...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied about 150 places & have enjoyed everywhere I've been - from one-lift areas in Poland to Alpine mega resorts. As they say, "A bad day in the mountains beats a good day at work."

This is really difficult! On a good day, it's fantastic to ski Scotland and appreciate how fortunate we are to have proper skiing in the UK. So, for me, it would be Cairngorm.

If forced to pick somewhere abroad, it would be catskiing at Fernie Wilderness Adventures,followed by Tignes, 3 Vs & anywhere Austrian.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rogg, Flaws

Revy - New base area is actually too low so really only down to mid mountain is really skiable, Long traverses/bushwhacks back from the good stuff, North side chair can get really really cold and doesn't serve stunning terrain.

KH - Gondy is really the only game in town so you're lapping to base most of the time (& can get lines building up at peak times/subject to wind hold). Bottom bit of mtn actually quite dull. While terrain off Stairway is fun it's only one lift.

Of course flaws can be a massive positive as they keep the mass market who must have dozens of lifts and groomers away.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Davos.

The 'twice cooked' chateaubriand at the Meierhof is ...well... indescribable and the run from the Weissflujoch all the way down to Kublis is not too shabby either.

And they have all those wonderful surface lifts Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mt Baker. So much potential, so little snow when I went.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt, stunning in every way (including the prices unfortunately)

Although this is getting away from the OP, as others have brought the subject of curiosity of where you learnt to ski, I would love to go back to the Nevis Range near Fort William, which is where I learnt to ski when I lived in Glasgow for a year.

I used to travel up to most weekends for a season, and having never been skiing elsewhere I had nothing to compare it against and thought it was amazing, as each weekend I graduated up from the greens to the blues and then the reds. I never did try the sole black run that was there at the time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably Chamonix valley, would be nice to ski some of it while not a complete beginner...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sophster wrote:
lilywhite wrote:
Are Sweden is the stand out. The only place I wouldn't bother with again unless it was free or literally all I could afford in Borovets Bulgaria.

What's wrong with Are? I've never been but quit fancied it when looking through brochures.

Nothing wrong ARE- it is a great place, that is where I would go tomorrow, I love it. Beautiful slopes overlooking a frozen lake. Friendly people, relatively quiet- brilliant. It is Borevets I have no intention of returning too. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val d'Isere feels like home after 35 weeks, but Copper just after a storm, sunny powder day and the rock bands in the club (they closed my favourite fish restaurant there) so off to Vail after for supper.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kicking Horse, staying down in the valley, Golden. Not been to Revvy though, yet.........

Panorama is very underated, IMO, back there this season if the snow's as good as it's promising.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lech Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crans Montana - beautiful place, great skiing and when we were there the piste nationale had just had a race and was in fantastic condition - then got loads of fresh powder - couldn't ask for more snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
REVELSTOKE All day long,

BCjohnny Some great resorts around there Love KHMR and Panorama and of the big 3 up the road but Revelstoke is amazing and has great Guinness Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fattes13.

Hey man, we need to catch up some day, sounds like we may have somethin' in common. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val Gardena. Can't go past the Dolomites, simply amazing
snow conditions
shoogly wrote:
Had a good couple of hours in the dome today, but it's got me longing for the real deal again.

If u could return to somewhere you've been to ski before, where would it be?

For me, lake Louise. Miss that place very much.

Bring on the season! Very Happy

Good question - Alta Badia is very special to me, also very fond of Paradiski - but I am lucky enough to be able to return there on a regular basis Very Happy
snow report
Japan, St Anton, Chamonix and Val d'isere. For the spectacle and more a drinking weekend than skiing Kitz during race weekend.
snow conditions
Val d'Isere. I just love it. 5 weeks and counting..

finestgreen wrote:
I'm curious why L2A gets so much hate. I've been but it was my first trip so I couldn't really judge it fully, but apart from the infamous green run home it seemed good to me!

I learned to ski there (went three times in the 80s/early 90s) and don't remember it being that bad aside from the aforementioned green. I think if I went now I'd probably hate it though.
latest report
Whistler in the 2003/04 season. A steady 50cm dump once every 3 or 4 days for pretty much 4 months. They don't make 'em like they used to.
latest report
Lots of places I like, lots of places I'd like to go to but if If there was only one its Ischgl.

Ischgl my dream.

http://youtube.com/v/D7CPRCDVr5E
snow report
Why return anywhere when there are still so many more resorts to explore?

I always think if I remember somewhere for being really good, I'd rather keep that memory than go back and it no live up to my memory the second time. Doesn't mean I never return, but always try to get at least one new resort each season.
snow report
Quote:

If forced to pick somewhere abroad, it would be catskiing at Fernie Wilderness Adventures

Really? That's about the only place I've been that I definitely wouldn't go back to.

Think they transplanted the terrain from somewhere in the Netherlands...
snow report
Mt Hutt. It's 20 minutes up the road, and it's still loaded with snow Very Happy
snow report
Ooops, sorry I misunderstood you there lilywhite. Definitely keeping Are on my places to go to at some point list then!

This thread is making me totally green with jealousy as I don't think I've been to any of the places mentioned so far and I want to go to all of them. So many places, so little time and money! My favourite ski holiday so far was Levi in Finland which I think was far more to do with the company I was skiing with rather than anything spectacular about the pistes.
ski holidays
BCjohnny, Once every 3 years I do a month out your neck of the woods sadly March 2012 was the last trip so it will be a long time before I return.

On the upside I got Chest Deep snow in KHMR the last time I was there and many many waist deep days in other resorts.
latest report
Geno wrote:

Me too - love them. In fact - anywhere in Italy will do for me, although I'm off to LDA in January!
snow conditions
Can't wait for another great season at Glencoe. The skiing might not be as good as the other places in the world but the views and the fact it's only an hour up the road makes it a little special to me Smile
snow conditions
Whitters wrote:
Nevis Range.... I never did try the sole black run that was there at the time.

There are lots of blacks there, two on the front and lots on the back. Did you ever have a look at the back bowl?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, when I was there (1990/91 season) the back bowl was off-piste only and there was just the one black marked 'for experts only'.....which I certainly was a long way from being at the time!
snow conditions
hang11 wrote:
Mt Hutt. It's 20 minutes up the road, and it's still loaded with snow Very Happy

Truly terrifying road it is too. Any chance the Kiwis could put some armco in to prevent a plummet into the abyss.
snow conditions
Banff/ Norquay/Sunshine/lake Louise...love them all. Very Happy
snow report
Dolomites, Banff/Lake Louise, Zermatt, Arlberg
ski holidays
jb1970 wrote:
Geno wrote:

Me too - love them. In fact - anywhere in Italy will do for me, although I'm off to LDA in January!

Me three + Whistler
snow report
Whitters wrote:
snowball, when I was there (1990/91 season) the back bowl was off-piste only and there was just the one black marked 'for experts only'.....which I certainly was a long way from being at the time!

The back-bowl is still off-piste only and getting a piste basher in there would normally require a helicopter. Generally, in Scotland, 'Piste' and 'Off-Piste' are contextual and don't represent surface state but the word 'Piste' does sometimes leads to the unrealistic expectation that there will be one. Laughing

These are the possible statuses of the back corries ...

Open
The hazards present are acceptably low for steep off-piste black graded runs and average experience of users

Users accept the inherent risks and their own responsibilities for skiing and boarding in such terrain

Access to the area or named run is available, signs will be posted as appropriate

The area/run is patrolled during the day and cleared at the end of the day

Not Patrolled (at own risk)
The hazards present are unacceptably high for the grade of run and the average experience of users

It is accepted that some users may wish to access the area or named run however do so at their own risk

Access to the area or named run is available, signs will be posted as appropriate

The area/run is not patrolled during the day and is not cleared at the end of the day

Closed
The hazards present are unacceptably high to any individual or group

Nevis Range will not provide uplift for access to the area or named run. Tickets will be withdrawn if necessary

The area/run is not patrolled during the day and is not cleared at the end of the day

None of the runs in the back corries are pisted although if you look at the 'piste map' ...

http://backcorries.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/pistemap_large.jpg

... there is a suggestion that only Summit and Spikes aren't. Easy Gully doesn't make the map either. Same thing with Glencoe. They do have a basher, and it does service the plateau and makes the odd foray into the main bowl but it's mostly left au naturale.
snow report
moffatross, Thanks for posting the map....brings back memories

it is interesting to see how much it has grown.....from memory there was only one chair, a T bar, a couple of drags and a beginner's tow rope when I was there, so almost the whole of the left half of the map has been added since my last trip in May 1991.
ski holidays
Zinal/Grimentz
snow conditions
Jackon Hole and Grand Targhee for a day or two. Whistler too obviously.
ski holidays
Sella Ronda because it is just such a beautiful ski area and Val d'Isere.
snow report
Geno wrote:
hang11 wrote:

Truly terrifying road it is too. Any chance the Kiwis could put some armco in to prevent a plummet into the abyss.

No need if you're careful about what way you turn the steering wheel. Mt Hutt is fine, some of the others are real butt clenchers.
ski holidays
Fattes13, lol, think you've mistaken the sig (BC = 'Black Country' not 'Brit Col'), I'm an English Midlands lad.

Missed last season, but a month the coming is where it's at. You're a long time dead.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy