Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warren Miller has a new website ...

Poster: A snowHead
... with quite a straightforward name: http://www.warrenmiller.com

There's a hot trailer on there for his latest movie this autumn: Higher Ground. Don't know if the old man is still doing the corny commentary - his voice was getting a bit tired and ragged last year. He's long retired from the film-making itself, and I believe the company is now in new hands. The quality of camerawork and skiing remains top-class, which is the main thing!

The dates for UK showings of the movie are here: http://www.warrenmiller.co.uk . They commence on 22 October at the Ptarmigan restaurant on Cairngorm, hosted by www.winterhighland.com . If anyone sees it at that great location please post a review of the evening!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 12-10-05 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As mentioned here a couple of days back - the Higher Ground video also has some footage of Chelone Miller, Bode's brother, who had a terrible motorbike accident last Friday. He's still in a coma apparently, can't be easy for Bode training in Austria, not able to get back to visit him...

[update: the Beeb suggests Bode is in fact at his brother's bedside, having delayed his return to Austria...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 12-10-05 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice trailer - particularly liked the skiing fireman!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG wrote:
As mentioned here a couple of days back - the Higher Ground video also has some footage of Chelone Miller, Bode's brother, who had a terrible motorbike accident last Friday. He's still in a coma apparently, can't be easy for Bode training in Austria, not able to get back to visit him...

Also mentioned here on SnowHeads in this topic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, Puzzled

was this the cartoon you were looking for ?

I say you are Mike Giggler and I claim my five pounds.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Say what you like. You usually do. The lead came from the US Ski Magazine's e-newsletter, dated 11.10.2005. I'm not aware that copying comes into it. It's generally known in the news trade as 'getting a story'.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheap shot. The story was sourced from Ski Magazine. Got the newsletter?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yawn.

Do we have to keep having comments like: 'as I said previously here...' and then links to mysnowsports.com? I'm getting fed up with clicking on links only to be continually referred there. It's like something being force fed to you. I wish the website all the best and I hope it grows and is successful but I'm getting tired of the constant promotion of it here. And the rivalry over who said what on which site first. And why make inferences that David is trawling MSS for news items to reproduce here? David and PG probably both get the same press releases or whatever so just chill.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is actually a reasonably (and I wouldn't wish to over-emphasise it) serious journalistic point here. PG reported Bode Miller as "training in Austria", when in fact he was in the States at his brother's bedside. It would be pretty amazing for him to be anywhere else, in the circumstances.

To then "update" the posting, rather than "correct" it, with the words "the Beeb suggests Bode is in fact at his brother's bedside" is also somewhat disrespectful to the BBC's reporting.

They are not "suggesting" this - they are reporting it, as a fact.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
There is actually a reasonably (and I wouldn't wish to over-emphasise it) serious journalistic point here. PG reported Bode Miller as "training in Austria", when in fact he was in the States at his brother's bedside. It would be pretty amazing for him to be anywhere else, in the circumstances.

To then "update" the posting, rather than "correct" it, with the words "the Beeb suggests Bode is in fact at his brother's bedside" is also somewhat disrespectful to the BBC's reporting.

rolling eyes Yawn
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sure, Al. Have a cocoa.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alan empty wrote:

rolling eyes Yawn

Are you suggesting it's making you yawn or reporting it as a fact that you are yawning? I'm fairly sure it's an important point. If you're saying you are actually yawning then are you able to provide independent corroboration of that?

snow report
A well-argued rebuttal to my well-reasoned criticism Smile
snow report
Even a geriatric Warren Miller script is funnier than this.

Here's his serious side - an interview with the 80-year-old stirrer - from Mountain News "The Industry Report"

Two Warren Miller quotes:

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your thing."
"Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive."
latest report
alan empty wrote:
A well-argued rebuttal to my well-reasoned criticism Smile

oops, missed ise's post. This was in response to DG.

ise, I couldn't possibly comment. Thankfully I'm not a journalist so I can spout garbage (or yawn) without fear of reprisals. Little Angel
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:

Given that there were several on line media reports "suggesting" the opposite - ie stating categorically that Bode Miller was unable to be with his brother and was actually in Austria - just whose reports should be taken as gospel then? The Beeb, just because they're the Beeb?

DG, a big yawn from me too.
snow conditions
Let's see the "on line media reports" you refer to.
ski holidays
PG wrote:

Oh no, I've unleashed a monster Embarassed
ski holidays
Skiing magazine
Quote:
Bode Miller, last season’s World Cup overall champion and the first American to win the crown since 1983, was not able to visit his brother. With the impending Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy, the elder Miller has been traveling the world and training five days a week.

Etc etc etc...
latest report
Don't worry, Al. Have a nightcap on me.
snow report
PG. A couple of points:

Firstly, where's the second report? [I'm being a little pedantic now, but you said there was more than one report that he was in Austria]
Secondly, where does the Skiing Magazine report say that he was in Austria?

On your point about the BBC, their journalism is generally very reliable because it is usually multi-sourced and checked. [I believe that Andrew Gilligan (who felt obliged to resign) was right that Blair's people "sexed up" the dossier that helped send us to war in Iraq, as one example]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 12-10-05 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
alan empty wrote:
PG wrote:

Oh no, I've unleashed a monster Embarassed

No Alan - I yawned first here wink Very Happy
snow conditions
Cathy Coins wrote:
No Alan - I yawned first here wink Very Happy

Laughing
ski holidays
Cathy, have a coffee, if you're at work.
ski holidays
Very Happy from me too
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, so predictable. I was waiting for that. So here it is.

From Sporever.fr, report dated yesterday. It's very specific:
Quote:

Rien de physique en ce qui concerne Bode Miller mais tout aussi grave. Alors qu’il débutait ses entraînements à Sölden, lieu de sa première victoire en Coupe du monde la saison dernière, le vainqueur de l’Overall 2005 apprend que son jeune frère Chelone a été victime, deux jours après son arrivée en terre autrichienne, d’un accident de vélo chez lui à Franconia (USA). Le jeune homme, 22 ans, aurait immédiatement été évacué par hélicoptère vers l’hôpital le plus proche. Actuellement dans le coma, son état serait jugé plus que préoccupant par les médecins.

Un véritable choc pour le leader de l’US Ski Force qui aurait choisi, malgré tout, de poursuivre son périple européen avant de repartir pour les Etats-Unis où débutera, fin novembre, la tournée américaine. « Il ne fera aucun commentaire à la presse et ce, probablement, jusqu’à l’épreuve de Sölden a précisé Phil McNichol, l’entraîneur de l’équipe américaine interrogé par le DenverPost. Tout cela va probablement lui peser beaucoup les jours qui viennent mais je pense que une fois en Europe, une fois à l’entraînement, une fois prêt à partir, il va redevenir Bode. Il a une manière bien à lui de se protéger du monde. Ce modus operandi va probablement lui permettre de se sortir de cette situation mieux que n’importe quelle autre personne. »

I saw a couple of others as well. How many would you like, exactly?
latest report
PG wrote:
How many would you like, exactly?

I believe 2.35 is the accepted number in journalistic circles. Or I might have made that up.

Ding ding. Round 346.
snow conditions
Always unwise to challenge someone unless you are certain they can't come up with the goods. I think PG has now demonstrated he has got the goods..... Very Happy
ski holidays
alan empty,
Quote:

Ding ding. Round 346

Where did you get your ticket for this event? Very Happy
latest report
Two. We have them.
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
Where did you get your ticket for this event? Very Happy

Damn, I've been busted. OK, I blagged the ticket. Now that you know that I'm a freeloader does this mean I no longer have any journalistic integrity?

*looks around the thread* Have we derailed this yet?
ski holidays
alan empty wrote:
Now that you know that I'm a freeloader does this mean I no longer have any journalistic integrity?

No, that makes you a professional hack.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
alan empty wrote:
Now that you know that I'm a freeloader does this mean I no longer have any journalistic integrity?

No, that makes you a professional hack.

Flatterer!
latest report
alan empty wrote:
PG wrote:
How many would you like, exactly?

I believe 2.35 is the accepted number in journalistic circles.

Excuse me Alan! I take offence! I am definitely NOT a journalist (unprofessional or otherwise). Never have been, never intend to be. (DG will provide references if required).
ski holidays
How many references?
snow report
Good question. A minimum of two, there's a whole selection of them that can be copied here
snow report
PG, I can't believe somebody bought the domain name businessballs and then used it sensibly. I was all sat back ready for an afternoon of reading stupid reference letters!

Anyway, congratulations. You're hired.

Yours disappointed,

Mr. Empty
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy