Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Area Facts - Percentage / KM of runs over 2000m?????

Poster: A snowHead
As I would expect given the name of this site seems to be a lot of posts referencing snow and resort heights, what would be interesting would be some stats / info on the percentage of runs over a given height in a ski area i.e. 2000m.

This would allow a true comparison between resorts i.e. Valmeinier - Valloire has 70% of the ski area (150km) over 2000m, this gives 105km over 2000m yet it doesn’t usually figure on my snow sure list.

Just a thought but if our friends at Intrawest built a brand new ski area and resort at and above 2000m with 105km of piste, would we not be talking about it as a new high resort.

Does anyone know if this info exists? Something tells me if it does one of you guys will know!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NorthWestFace, I've never seen data like this, but it's a good idea.

As for any new high-altitude resort construction in Alps, that would seem a very bad idea, given the environmental impact. Better that future development is concentrated in the valleys, with quick electric access to the snowline. The air pollution and water use/pollution of high altitude resorts can't really be justified in the 21st century.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
The air pollution and water use/pollution of high altitude resorts can't really be justified in the 21st century.

David - while I accept there are issues with regard to travelling in buses and cars up the mountains, what do you mean by "water use/pollution"?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shame I was relying you! I see what you mean re. new resorts high up, I was really just pointing out that we could have more high altitude options under our noses.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Installing Plumbing, Sewage and Water supplies I would imagine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NorthWestFace, an interesting question. Val Thorens (regularly quoted as the "highest resort in Europe") claims 140km of runs, with 99% of its area above 2000m. (These figures are for Val Thorens' own area, not the 3Vs as a whole.) Not that much greater than the resorts you quote.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alistair,

Been to ValT a few times and if the links to the Meribel close you soon run out of options I would like to see how those figures are compiled. I too am always a bit sceptical especially when you see a number of runs on the map that are parallel!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NorthWestFace, the only lift which extends below 2000m is the Plan de l'eau - approx 1/3 of it is below 2000m. I would suggest that the 99% figure (which I took from VT's website here) is likely to be approximately correct. I'm surprised you think you run out of options quickly if the link to Meribel is closed - there seems, to me, to be quite a lot there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NorthWestFace, Ischgl has 205km of which 90% (e.g. 180km) are above 2000m (according to ischgl offical website at least
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NorthWestFace, not all parallel runs are similar. In VDI, L'epaule de charvet and stantons are next to each other, one being a horrible gun barrel blue, the other a glorious wide open black. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, I think VdI's piste grading is a large enough topic for another thread. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
though there's not too many pretty trees above 2000m,

how about biggest % of tree lined runs

or

smallest % of concrete buildings/flat roofs etc

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 12-10-05 7:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hobbiteater, good point. I can think of a few resorts with a lot of the skiing higher up that are just pants when it's windy, the weather closes in, etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hobbiteater wrote:
there's not too many pretty trees above 2000m,

That's a good point. Great resorts offer a mix of high altitude skiing for when the snow is poor lower down, and lots of tree-lined runs for aesthetic reasons and for when the weather is bad higher up. The reason I'm not very keen on Val Thorens is because it is nearly 100% above 2000m
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would guess that the combined areas of Zermatt and Cervinia must have a very high proportion of runs above 2000m considering 3 peaks going up to 3000m(+). Zermatt is at 1600m with only some 3(?) runs actually going all the way down to resort level - and Cervinia itself at 2000m with most runs above it. I cannot remember exactly, but the combined area is in the region of 300-400km of piste so it must be pretty high mileage.

--

Snowsure due to altitude is one thing, but then you tend to face the risks of whiteouts or lift closure due to high winds.

From my few late season experiences, I would say North facing is infinitely more important. E.g. been to a resort in April where the south facing slopes were bare down to resort level, but the North facing slopes were still skiable down to 1000m! Similarly a 'risky' Christmas trip to a low Austrian resort where there had been a good early dump, but nothing more recently - the south slopes the other side of the valley were bare already, but the north facing slopes (and tree lined) had plenty of snow still.
ski holidays
NorthWestFace, Not sure Valmeinier would feature on any of my lists. Have been there once, somewhat limited is it not?
snow report
I would imagine somewhere like Saas Fee would feature on this list. I think there are approx 150km of piste there, but the huge majority are over 2000M
snow report
agavin,

very good point on the North Facing slopes, I go to Flaine quite a lot late season and the runs in the main 'bowl' are North Facing and hold the snow very well compared to some of the south facing runs in the Grand Massif.

all,

Does anyone also know if the Alps have a North / South divide that is noticeable / makes a big difference
i.e. Temperature variance between the two, greater precipitation in the north / south etc?????, different weather systems??
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
As for any new high-altitude resort construction in Alps, that would seem a very bad idea, given the environmental impact. Better that future development is concentrated in the valleys, with quick electric access to the snowline. The air pollution and water use/pollution of high altitude resorts can't really be justified in the 21st century.

Undoubtedly the environmental impact would be reduced by not building at high altitude, but would there be an impact on the cost/availability of housing for locals who live in the valley? If land is used to build property suitable for tourists (for example, hotels or apartment blocks) then surely that would increase prices for the year-round community who live in the valleys?
snow report
NorthWestFace, just to add another resort to your list.
Obergurgl-Hochgurgl (1800 - 3080 m) in Austria.
All the 110 km piste above 1800m and they claim to have the record in the Alps with 171 snow days last season
Chosen the snow surest resorts by German speaking magazines
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy