Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some advice for my girlfriend!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pardypops, great news and well done.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ wrote:
pardypops, great news and well done.

+1
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well done. I would get back to Rob as frequently as you can. A great bloke with real empathy for skiers wanting to improve; that said, you must not let his gingerness or welshness put you off.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Excellent outcome, pardypops, keep up the good work!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pardypops,

Sounds as though you are taking the right approach.
Only advice I will give is how to attack steeper slopes. Concentrate on your turn not the slope and turn all the time - as soon as you finish one start the next. And don't spend 10 mins at the top of slope worrying about it - just look at it once and take that first turn, then the second... in a few minutes you will be at the bottom looking back up a steep slope and wondering what all the fuss was about
Also choose your route - look for the snow especially if its icy and turn on it. The best bit of advice I was ever given was "look for the snow". So now I am told I ski ice well. Well thats because I am skiing the snow not the ice. You can make a hard slope easy by choosing a route with more snow on it- often towards the side of the piste. To do this you need to look forward and think about where you are going - don't look at your skis (I did for years)
Skiing is all about confidence and I still keep the above in my head even after 50 weeks skiing. If I am having a poor day then I go back to these basic ideas.
Enjoy your skiing!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pardypops, Robs is a great guy, I'd like to be able to go and see him far more than I do, things will only improve from here forwards for you. Best of Luck! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey Pardypops,

I'm probably a bit late for this.. a couple of years ago I was in a similar position, and old pro gave me the following advise (plus a couple of bits from forum members) -

1) Chew gum - When your body tenses and stiffens, one of the first places it occurs is in the jaw (try it!), so chewing helps prevent that, if your jaws relaxed, the rest will follow.
2) Breathe out in turns - Its natural to hold your breathe as you enter a "dangerous" situation (fight or flight), this includes hold your breath which causes you to tense up, breathe out slowly while executing the turn means this won't happen.
3) Don't look down at your skis, look forward - Choose a target down piste, keep your eyes on it and ski towards it (sound advise from Mogalphobic)
4) Listen to music - it helps keep you relaxed and allows you to build up a rhythm.

These didn't work overnight, you have to consciously make yourself do this and it takes a little of practise, I kept repeating it to myself on the way down, by mid-week, it had made a massive difference.. I felt more relaxed, more confident and most of all that I had progressed Smile

These won't make you a pro skier, but it helped me.. so perhaps it might help you snowHead snowHead

Good luck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Megamum, thank you for your kind comments (even if Frosty delivered his with the back of his hand wink).

pardypops, glad you enjoyed the session. You certainly made nice progress, and had a pretty big smile by the end of the morning. Great to be able to practice some of the things we covered, particularly the nice round and linked turns you were making, the effective up and down movements and using the pole plant to help keep everything smooth and flowing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kelv1n, 1-3 yea, 4 no IMHO! Sing a song yes, listen to music on headphones big nono
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, with headphones how are you going to appreciate the adrenalin rush of hearing a Snowboarder Death Scrape behind you and not knowing if this is your time Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
finestgreen wrote:
Yeah, with headphones how are you going to appreciate the adrenalin rush of hearing a Snowboarder Death Scrape behind you and not knowing if this is your time Very Happy

I ski with 1 headphone in and the other out, that way I get the best of both worlds Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get her in a group lesson for about four days ...
The most important part is the group ... its got to be a good fun mixed group.

Skiing has to be fun .. and the most fun is learning with other people struggling.

She ski's quite nicely ... and she well get better everytime she goes ...

PS My wife always screams at me at some point during a ski holiday ...
"I AM NEVER EVER COMING SKIING WITH YOU EVER AGAIN!!!!"

She says it every time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy