Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helmet cams?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I just think having a camera perched on top of the head looks daft (just my opinion) therefore, I'd never consider wearing one. I'd be too self conscious especially as I'm not a great skier and I think the go pro sings "check me out". I agree that the camera googles aren't as versatile but I would only use this type of camera whilst skiing so the fact that it can't be used for anything else doesn't matter to me. If I had a go pro, I wouldn't use that for anything other than skiing either.

If you feel self concious about having a box on your head it then definitely avoid it, but in all honestly you will probably only be self concious for the first run or two. Just remember not to leave the googles at a restaurant or bar.

Also for those that have gopro's and android devices, the official app is now released and available from the gopro site.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="ansta1"]
Quote:
Also for those that have gopro's and android devices, the official app is now released and available from the gopro site.

Remember to upgrade the firmware as well as downloading the app.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oldmike wrote:
http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Helicopter-with-Video-Camera/Pr315158000

Take a look at the Flamewheel 450 with the Naza GPS for a decent video drone. They work great with a GoPro taped to them.

Goggles would be less useful for a snowboarder what with all the standing sideways and looking over my shoulder all the time. Head-mount works better for skiers though. Goggle-strap cameras stick out less (eg the Contours), but you sacrifice image quality. These days there are so many people with GoPros on their hats - I don't look at anyone and think they're odd at all.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
smagsmith wrote:
element wrote:
Get one of these before they sell out -
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/drift-hd170-stealth-helmet-camera

DOH sold out

I checked the small print and Action cameras state that if the product you want is out of stock then you can still place an order and they will deleiver when it comes back in. Only problem is that there was no option to order this camera, so I emiled them to place an order. They have ignored my email and cheanged the web link so that it takes you to a different camera now. Not great customer service from Action camers Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Just thought I would share that with you.

I still have not found anything similar in the same price range.

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smagsmith wrote:
smagsmith wrote:
element wrote:

DOH sold out

I checked the small print and Action cameras state that if the product you want is out of stock then you can still place an order and they will deleiver when it comes back in. Only problem is that there was no option to order this camera, so I emiled them to place an order. They have ignored my email and cheanged the web link so that it takes you to a different camera now. Not great customer service from Action cameras Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smagsmith wrote:
smagsmith wrote:
smagsmith wrote:
element wrote:

DOH sold out

I checked the small print and Action cameras state that if the product you want is out of stock then you can still place an order and they will deleiver when it comes back in. Only problem is that there was no option to order this camera, so I emailed them to place an order. They have ignored my email and changed the web link so that it takes you to a different camera now. Not great customer service from Action cameras Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Cheers
Smag
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Am keen on getting hands on a wifi pac but second hand and new ones seem so pricey... How does the wifipac affect the waterproof casing?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smagsmith, I think that's probably because it was discounted old stock they were selling off.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smagsmith, I have just bought the Gopro Hero 3 from Action Cameras and was very impressed with the knowledgeable service and the speed of (free) delivery, it arrived yesterday less than 24 hours after I purchased it....over the phone. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swissie wrote:
smagsmith, I have just bought the Gopro Hero 3 from Action Cameras and was very impressed with the knowledgeable service and the speed of (free) delivery, it arrived yesterday less than 24 hours after I purchased it....over the phone. Very Happy

out of interest white or silver?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The new Drift HD Ghost looks pretty impressive.

WiFi capability, phone app, impressive remote that can change shooting mode, loop recording, waterproof, 2 inch gorilla glass LCD, 11mp stills with photoburst, and supposedly the longest battery life on the market.

I'm looking forward to seeing some footage comparisons with the GoPro HD3s

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/drift-hd-ghost/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1, Silver...and by the way thanks for all your advice on your various posts on this subject, I have found them very useful. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swissie wrote:
ansta1, Silver...and by the way thanks for all your advice on your various posts on this subject, I have found them very useful. Very Happy

no worries, if you need advice or abuse there a few of us around these parts who can help in both areas.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
also if you want to try out a remote control or any other bits and pieces i am sure i can find some spares for you to play with.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1, Thanks so much. I can't wait for the boys to try it out....but they'll have to wait for Christmas! Smile
ski holidays
Still steep for me and not long to run but this may be of use to someone

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0087D5UKW/ref=gb1h_img_c-1_0267_A19ZYBTI13HSN9?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=007CVBFTD14EFDF9PGZX&pf_rd_i=350613011&pf_rd_p=344320267&tag=amz07b-21

Oh well expired at £119.99 Amazon Black Friday deal.
ski holidays
I'm not going to wade through endless pages of willy shaking about who's camera is the best. Because this is what this thread is. People justifying to themselves why they dropped a ton of money on a camera themselves, not giving advice to the OP on what to buy.

I'm not going to tell you what to buy, buy whatever you like. I bought a Drift HD170, and its fantastic for what I do (Ski, MTB, Motorcycle). It was in my budget and easy to use, with all the features I need. Thats the important bit. No point in me buying something more expensive and sophisticated, if I don't need it.

People like to have whats deemed to be the best. Just because BBC and Redbull use GoPros, doesn't mean there the best. It just means the Venture Capital company that owns GoPro has more money to throw at sponsorship deals, to make you think there better, and increase sales. (Which it has)

Do you need WIFI connectivity?
Do you need a GPS on it?
Do you need it to be 30m waterproof?
Do you need it to be able to stream the footage to your phone?

No.

You need it to fit on your helmet, and record when you hit a button.

What is useful is,

Does it have a screen?
Are there different mounting options?
Is the battery life good, and are replacements cheap?
Is it easy to turn off and on?
Does it have good connectivity?
Are the accessories (that you may want to buy) cheap?

None of these are essential, you could do without them, but there are far more useful in the real world than WIFI, GPS and all that pish.

Just think about what you need. Don't let them tell you what you need. Then think about what you might want. Then make and informed choice, that suits your needs.
ski holidays
is only 4 pages that i can see... anyway dont let THEM tell you what you need, let sammy tell you what you need rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

I'm not going to wade through endless pages

hardly endless....

Quote:

willy shaking

Not much of that going on as far as I can see, just mostly objective and subjective points of view.

Quote:

BBC and Redbull use GoPros

Redbull get them for free, the BBC pay for them because in most circumstances the footage is of a higher quality.

Quote:

Do you need WIFI connectivity?
Do you need a GPS on it?
Do you need it to be 30m waterproof?
Do you need it to be able to stream the footage to your phone?

No.

Well as you haven't read the endless pages of willy shaking, how do you know what they want......

Quote:

Just think about what you need. Don't let them tell you what you need. Then think about what you might want. Then make and informed choice, that suits your needs.

which is I think what happended in the endless pages of willy shaking that you couldn't be bothered to read.

Well done, go to the top of the class. Very Happy
snow report
I mean the endless pages on this topic on the internet in general. And by them, I mean the manufacturer. There all very good at it. Just look at all those all wheel drive cars, with electric windows and touchscreen radios.
snow report
[irreverent]
If you're going to be willy-waving, you'll need a solid mount-point and a good FPS to prevent judder. Zoom may help if it's cold.
[/irreverent]

[slightly more serious]
It sounds like between us we've got all the major brands covered. I feel a SH testday coming on...
[/slightly more serious]
snow conditions
Sammy wrote:
I mean the endless pages on this topic on the internet in general. And by them, I mean the manufacturer. There all very good at it. Just look at all those all wheel drive cars, with electric windows and touchscreen radios.

ahhh, that's a bit clearer. And yes the marketing dept of every product will shake their respective willies (or is it willy's) and bleat on about who's the best, and yes GoPro have this one down to a very fine art, but their job is to up the profile of their product and sell more of them. So I guess everyone on the GoPro marketing team will be getting a "highly effective" rating this year and be getting big bonuses.

You are certainly right about getting the product that suits your needs first and wants second, but you do need to consider the wants as these sometimes help. Do I need electric windows.. nooooo, do I want them, yesss and I can afford them so I have them (4 of them).
ski holidays
I mostly use this for my willy wavign antics.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Digital-Microscope-Camera-Optical/dp/B00476ZHKQ?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
Quote:

[slightly more serious]
It sounds like between us we've got all the major brands covered. I feel a SH testday coming on...
[/slightly more serious]

well I certainly have GP 1's, 2's with 3's on the way.

Snowheads bash test??? (I did mention this to Admin a while back Happy)
snow report
Sammy wrote:
I'm not going to wade through endless pages of willy shaking about who's camera is the best. Because this is what this thread is. People justifying to themselves why they dropped a ton of money on a camera themselves, not giving advice to the OP on what to buy.

Pot meet Kettle. Wink
snow conditions
Did I ever tell him what to buy? No. I told him what I bought, briefly, and trying to tell him to avoid the trap of getting sucked in to buying the newest, shiniest thing out, because the manufacturer tells you its what you need.
snow conditions
Sammy, yer that's precisely what you accused other people of doing on the thread, not giving advice and justifying their own purchase! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Being female I'd have a bit of a problem 'willy shaking'...but if that's what sails Sammy's boat. He should also realise that some people do actually appreciate fellow Snowheads advice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93533

decent price
snow conditions
I went for the drift HD720. It arrived today and my first impression is very good. So simple to work and the wrist remote is great. Just need to get out on the slopes to give it a go. I only paid 104 for a new one. =happy smag

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy