Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Pole Length

Poster: A snowHead
I'm 1.69m (just under 5'7). Last year I skied with both 115cm and 120cm poles- I found that the 120cm dragged along the floor but the 115cm seemed ok.

I've just bought some skis and with it some new poles, and the guy in the shop insists that I should be skiing with 110cm. We sized them up in the shop and I was 'just' at a right angle when holding them upside down so I bought them. However, now that I've sized them with my boots on, I'm definitely not at a right angle and they seem really short.

Do I take them back and change them for a 115cm? What sizes do other people ski with?

According to online charts I should be skiing with either 115cm or 120cm (110cm was for 5ft3).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-11-12 13:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shootinstar9, I'm a couple of cm taller than you and use 120's. My daughter is just moving from 110 to 115 and she's only 165cm tall.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shootinstar9, I'm 171cm (5'7") and ski with 115cm poles
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My daughter was using 110's but on her BASI1 couse in the summer the trainer made her use 115's as the 110's were too short.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get some flick-lock poles and adjust them to what feels right Wink

fwiw, I'm 5'8" and I use 120cm poles, but it will also depend on your arm geometry.

The normal test is (i'm assuming it's not changed) to turn the poles upside down, grip them just under the basket (i.e. handle side of the basket) and put the handle on the ground. Your upper and lower arm shoud form 90 degrees at the elbo.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just rang them- they've said in their opinion I'm 110cm but will change them if I want to. I think I should... I'm not at right angle. I'm at 110 degrees!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef, The normal test was developed when boots and bindings were designed so that you were closer to the ground. My current boots and skis add nearly 10cm to my height.

I would say to go with what felt right when skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
around 5'7"- 5'8" here and use between 115-120 depending on make and what I use them for "as they do actually vary a little from different manufacturers"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm 5'7 and my poles are 115cm.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shootinstar9, 5'6 and 115cm
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many skiers have poles that are too long and as a result ski too upright. IMHO Flick lock are great for finding out what size you need but are too weak and whippy for hard use. I am 1.8m and find some where between 125 and 120 perfect, I would go with the shop advice, however if you swap them for the 115 you should be able to shorten them later if needs be.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the main issue is that many years ago all skis and bindings where pretty similar, so the old test of hold the poles upside down above the baskets worked. Now with riser plates and different bindings this does have an impact, sometimes small sometimes less so.

No easy answer i guess if you use different skis or bindings with diferent heights.

so in a whitegold styleee

who needs poles

poles are for losers

ski without them

carve like a demon
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I believe Scott recommend the "right angle" plus 2", in street shoes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1 wrote:
Now with riser plates and different bindings this does have an impact, sometimes small sometimes less so.

Nail on head. Measure using the hand under the basket technique, but standing in your boots on your skis. No way 110cm would be long enough, I would have thought. Unless you have very short legs I suppose, not wishing to be personal... Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm 5'9" - I've tried skiing on 110, 115, 120 and 125. I'm happiest on 120's, despite 115 giving me the supposedly 'correct' angle!!

I think the 'rule' is just a guide. IMO ski with what you are comfy with and sod what the man in the shop says - if you think they are too short then get them changed. After all you are the one that has to ski with them, not the guy in the shop!!

N.B. You won't thank the guy in the shop for selling you short ones when you get on a long flat section that requires you to pole any distance either!
ski holidays
I am 5'6"and ski on 110 because i believe the short length brings my weight forward
ski holidays
I'm 6'4" and ski with 125s, used to use 130s but find the 125 more comfortable. It's personal choice at the end of the day, ski with whatever feels right.
snow report
Thanks for the advice. When stood in boots on my skis the angle (when holding under the basket) is approximately 110 degrees. If I lift the pole 2-3inches off the floor it becomes 90 degrees... i.e if it becomes a 115cm pole!

I think I'll take them back and get them swapped. I can always cut them down later if the guy in the shop is right.

Thinking back, I vaguely remember using 110cm at Chill Factore in Manchester once and finding them very short, and the ski instructor insisting I used a longer pole- he gave me his to use for the rest of the lesson (he was a similar height to me).
latest report
Quote:

Measure using the hand under the basket technique, but standing in your boots on your skis.

That is the recommended starting point and for on-piste skiing there is a very good biomechanical reason for that length. When you are popping a turn on piste the point that you hit that height should mean that you are rising through the 'weight on ski' point and just about to go neutral or negative. That's the point you will wish to put some pressure on the pole and it's best not to do it when your arm is at less than 90 degrees. To be honest, unless you are starting to pull some G it's probably academic and I feel that it does not work for anything other than piste skiing and possibly moguls (but I don't ski those well enough to make a really knowledgable comment). For off piste I prefer to go slightly longer - which is why I've just ordered some 'flicklocks' to allow me to change up on the fly! In powder I am always stretching a little further foward and on a slope I prefer to know I can plant and pivot 'high' enough. I have had occasions where the plant turned into a forward roll as the pole vanished into the face of a mountain of snow - not to be recommened.
ski holidays
Quote:

I can always cut them down later if the guy in the shop is right.

I strongly recommend that you do not do that without some very careful measuring with calipers first. If you get it wrong either the grips or the baskets may not fit afterwards. Go back and swap them for some flicklocks +cash to the retailer prior to getting into hacksawdom.
ski holidays
riverman, The only time I've seen this in practice the effect was that a friend of mine bent at his waist more i.e. Exactly what you don't want to happen.
ski holidays
You don't want your hands lower, you want them more out in front and your hips forward. I would guess snowHead
ski holidays
120cm is likely fine.
just hold them up a bit so that they don't drag
snow report
riverman wrote:
the short length brings my weight forward

This is the correct answer.

Take the recommended skipole lengths and knock a bit off.

Shorter poles make you lean forward and increase balance.

Longer poles make you lean back and decrease balance.
snow report
shootinstar9, I'm about 155cm and have 110cm poles Toofy Grin
ski holidays
i am 5ft 11 andhave 130cm poles....

but only because they a hot sticks and it means i get more booze in them!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
riverman wrote:

What gobsmacking ignorance.
snow report
Bode Swiller, m8 - it's Whitegold - face it, if the respose was anything else we would all feel a little bit cheated.

For the avoidance of doubt, it's the plant that determines where your weight is, not the length of the pole. It's what happens afterwards that brings the length of the pole into discussion. If you plant 'short' your weight will be almost certainly be further back form centre than if you plant correctly. That said, it does depend on where you are skiing on the mountain and what you are trying to do.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
riverman wrote:

What gobsmacking ignorance.

Aah, personal preference like most things in this complex sport! I'm 5'11' ish and use 105's...however my ski style would be considered slightly different to most holiday makers!
latest report
the_doc wrote:
Aah, personal preference like most things in this complex sport! I'm 5'11' ish and use 105's...however my ski style would be considered slightly different to most holiday makers!

You say that and all I can envision is this:

ski holidays
haha, no not like that at all! I'm commin up for 35 fer chrissakes Laughing
snow conditions
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=retired+old+skiers&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1366&bih=650&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=voTpZWhCPoUAJM:&imgrefurl=http://texanyardsale.blogspot.com/&docid=0EGCtOwu4gNd2M&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3VXXtXG7-dg/TOyQKnGT-_I/AAAAAAAAAEI/iGyMRVx77Co/s1600/old%252Bskier.jpg&w=432&h=286&ei=uROZUJf8EbDY4QTLiYCoDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=366&vpy=156&dur=1863&hovh=183&hovw=276&tx=155&ty=85&sig=117956995660916473761&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=214&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:72#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled&id=I6_1352209347008&parent=http%3A%2F%2Ftexanyardsale.blogspot.co.uk

More like this !
ski holidays
the_doc, Fischer?!?!?! I never thought I'd see the day .........
latest report
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Hold pole upside down against ground below basket, if forearm is parallel to the ground pole correct length.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy