Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off to Aviemore in December.....

Poster: A snowHead
As the wife is expecting our 1st cherub, skiing is out of the equation for a few years so i have devised a cunning plan. We would like a break in December but she won't risk going abroad so I've suggested a week in Scotland at the Cairngorm Mountain Resort where we can relax with the leisure facilities, take in a trip to Loch Ness, experience the scenery and be at one with nature in our wooden hut.

In the back of our car, secreted away under the bags will lie a pair of snowblades (although I havn't worked out where to hide the boots yet) but the plan relies on two small things going my way.

1. Snow
2. If there is snow, will the mountain open?

Also, I told her it's only 4 hours from Derbyshire but i'll tackle that one en-route.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All about my workplace I find men in a similar position, I try to make them feel better by telling them about the holidays I've got lined up wink Is there any respect for these lost souls?

Isn't it 4 hours from Derbyshire at 2am or something...I'm sure your other half knows exactly what you're up to already - I know mine would.

Oh dear, I seem not to have answered your question, but good luck anyway!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, but I dont understand any of this. We have a 9 and 13 year old. We have never missed a years ski holiday since we started in 1985. Ok both children being born in September was down to planning around ski-ing. When they were small we stayed in Chalets with in-chalet creche's or once took a friends Nanny when they were babies. Once we even took the Mother in Law (yes the one all the jokes are based on)
If you have a baby why can you not go on a ski holiday?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Puzzled Cos she's expecting, it's not due till April.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Congratulations, as well, of course! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our first is due in January 06....we didn't plan that too well a Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
up4it, the funicular railway up Cairngorm is open daily, snow or no snow. Fingers crossed for the former!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
up4it keep the faith - you may hit lucky. If aviemore gets enough cover and the wind keeps off there is no better place in my eyes.

Unfortunately, that is two BIG ifs !!!!!

Two tip. As soon as you get over the border into Scotland it is speed camera heaven - thousands of them !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Mason, There are a few on the A1 south of border as well, tell that to Bowyer ha ha
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
up4it, You could always go ski ing with the lads and leave her at home?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
up4it,

We've really missed our trips to Aviemore recently. Prior to the last couple of years we went every year between Christmas and New Year and always had good weather though not normally decent skiable snow.
This year we hope to borrow the parents caravan and stay at the newly re opened loch Morlich campsite - one of my favourite places in the world Smile

Expect not to get any skiing (but take the boards anyway) and you may be plesantly surprised. There's loads to do, especially if Mrs UP4IT is up for a little walking. The forests provide shelter if the weather is poor. If theres snow low down then you could try a little cross country skiing. Theres lots of great cafes and some really good outdoor shops.

If you head up to Inverness call into Culloden for the cultural bit - fascinating if rather sobering. Also a trip to the superb Fort George is well worth it - if its open ?

TIP: if you've in Aviemore on a Thursday night try the highland buffet in the Cairngorm Hotel - Its FANTASTIC. Starve yourself a bit beforehand though.

Have a fAB time. Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
13 month old son, went two week in Jan (5mths) and 2 weeks in March (7mths) took him along - no problems whatsoever, had about 3hrs a day skiing most days. It's amazing how much you can do when the clocks running and we probably did more inthe 3 hrs than previously in a day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
up4it,
Quote:

1. Snow

We usually get snow late December. Most years I've got some skiing in December usually starting around 22nd and its always been good after Christmas and over the New Year period, with the exception of last year. I've been here getting on for 8 years.
Quote:

2. If there is snow, will the mountain open?

Yes, however for early snow you might want/have to head to the Lecht as there slopes are much less rocky than the Cairngorms so they can often get underway with much smaller dumps of snow. If you are going to be here in December but before Christmas then it is very much pot luck wether there will be enough snow to ski on.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
up4it, Good luck !

I've had 'great' skiing on the 'Gorm in December.. but the best day (on the last trip) was at Nevis Range. Lot's of cloud and rain in the valley, snow higher up, and blue sky and sunshine on the summit snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
Snow !!!

snowHead
snow report
Cairngorm must be expecting snow - my season ticket arrived yesterday wink
snow conditions
brian, snow at this time,is that normal ?
snow report
Keep an eye on the forums on www.winterhighland.com for the inside on what the conditions are really like at Cairngorm. People regularly post pics of their days out so you can judge whether its worth hoofing it up the road to the lifts from the town.

Cheers
snow report
Chris Brookes,
Quote:

snow at this time,is that normal ?

Yes, its also not the first snow Cairngorm has had this season. It is unusual to have skiable snow in October, I think it last happened in 2002 (some pictures here: http://kiwi.webfusion.co.uk/~winterhigh/cairngorm/pics_30_oct.shtml ). Usually at this time of year there will be the odd fall, but it won't last long and there won't be enough to ski on. The chance of skiable snow increases in November and is almost certain for December particularly for the period between Christmas and New Year.
snow report
Chris Brookes, yes like Dave Horsley says, it's quite normal, as is it's disappearance within 48hrs! Still, its nice to see. Occassionally you can get skiable cover in October, and CG has opened a couple of times in recent years in October. Its baseless snow, however, and vanishes without trace when the inevitable thaw comes. There's a school of thought that reckons that skiable october cover is the portent of a poor season ("skiers folly" or something). This sort of thing now is no indicator of things to come, but as the autumn goes on if we get more snow in November/December and a bit of freeze/thaw action, a base will begin to form which can withstand the thaw periods, and get topped up as the season goes on. A lack of a decent base has often been the undoing of scottish seasons - last year there was total cover for ages, but due to it being below freezing for weeks on end, very little consolidation of the snowpack had occurred, so snow depths which in a normal year would have given cover into may were wiped out in days when the milder weather arrived. At the beginning of March the fences at CG and Glencoe were buried totally, 4 weeks later things were deteriorating fast. Lets hope for another good season this year, just a bit longer would be nice! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

The chance of skiable snow increases in November and is almost certain for December particularly for the period between Christmas and New Year.

What?? I've been skiing in Scotland for yonks and there are no certainties
snow report
Quote:

What?? I've been skiing in Scotland for yonks and there are no certainties

I've been skiing in Scotland for 7 or 8 years. Last year was the first year I didn't get decent skiing between Christmas and New Year. Even last year I got some poor skiing in December.
latest report
I like skiing over the festive period too Dave so I hope you're right - it seems kinda fitting but you must take my point when snow, certain and Scotland are used in the same sentence you tempt disaster. I've had way too many bad seasons to say anything like that. Worst of lot was '92, my first yr at uni and precious little work to do, i was all set to teach loads at Glenshee, think the place was open 3 odd days the whole damned season, the rest of the places were not much better.

I'm from the North East too and am hoping for a ripper again this year - had some top days last season especially at Cairngorm on that bowl to left of WL tow - great stuff. cheers J.
snow report
Jake, I was at Cairgorm in '92 (if my memory is correct) - wasn't much better .....
Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy