Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prioritising how you budget for a holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Harry Flashman wrote:
The group instruction was pretty average - but that seems to be fairly normal in France anyway!

Was way, way better than ESF in my (fairly limited) experience of instruction.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm doing my first UCPA in march, and I wish I'd found out about them sooner. At 38 I'm almost at the end of being able to use UCPA even before I've begun Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some variation in the incomes of our group but nobody poor. Consequently I try to keep costs down but, as we ski 8 days and 6 of them with a guide (often travelling out on the Friday when I can find a hotel which will do that) it does add up.
I generally reckon about £1,400 each, of which about £400 or so is for the guide. That's without lunches, which are not elaborate - we prioritise (off piste) slope time.
We pick resorts for good, challenging, off piste, but Verbier and some others in Switzerland are now excluded for a while as too expensive. We like less-skied resorts if possible so we are more likely to get fresh-tracks but some places like St Anton just have to be done.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE, Thanks, that clears that up. I'll look forward to a nice short drive to Morzine in Feb and maybe sneak a couple of hours in after lunch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I wish there were much less of them (lifts).

There are huge areas of the Alps with no lifts at all and plenty to explore - so given that you say you are so "anti" you are indeed hypocritical buying expensive lift passes and then moaning about it!

There are indeed, and seeing some of your posts it seems we are familiar with the same places. An I hope they will remain. Hence, mentionning ski de randonnee growing in popularity.

I am not so anti. I recognise the need for lifts. Maybe some are less intrusive/invasive/useful or plain obvious than others. However, the fact they are criss-crossing the landscape mercilessly kind of defeats the enjoyment and goal of a holiday (or extended stay) in the mountains.

I am convinced most people on this forum would agree that the reward, is much more the effort you produce (maybe skinning or hiking for a a while after an approach, be it by lift or not) before, during and after earning a great descente than just being dragged or ferried up there while munching on a Mars bar or smoking a cigarette which butt some people are more than happy to discard somewhere below.

There could be less lifts, leaving more open spaces for people to enjoy and thus, the lift pass would be cheaper. On the other hand, on can argue the lift pass fee would remain the same in order to cover for an increased/more developed emergency system in order to respond to accident happening in non marked areas.

The lifts kind of reminds me of airlines, some guaranteeing you 28 weekly flights to Singapore, for example. Is that really necessary ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess you need to consider the resort as well, no point getting a cheap self-catering deal to a resort with only small, overpriced supermarkets. Also cheap flights can be a trap if then you have to pay for private transfers and some companies charge extra for late arrivals, early departures...

Having a good look online and planning ahead helps to choose the resort, ski school, ski hire. If you have the flexibility you can hang on for last minute deals - tour operators will always try to fill their own chalets and club hotels (SkiWorld, Imghams, Crystal..).

You can also try Chalets Direct's solution room and just set your budget and prefered resorts, some chalet companies might want to give you a deal on certain dates.

Booking ski equipment online can save up to 50% (SkiSet, Intersport). If you get a few people together of the same level then private lessons can work out better than group ones and it's more fun as well.

Quite a few transfer companies offer last years prices or 10% off if you book ahead as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
volklwaffen wrote:
.....while munching on a Mars bar...

Because eating is for pussies, right? Wink

volklwaffen wrote:
...or smoking a cigarette which butt some people are more than happy to discard somewhere below.

I take a holier than thou approach to smoking and roll sans filter. I may push the boat out now and then and use a paper roach (from the Rizla packet) but being paper it should dissolve into Marmot nutrient in no time Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman wrote:
volklwaffen wrote:
.....while munching on a Mars bar...

Because eating is for pussies, right? Wink

volklwaffen wrote:
...or smoking a cigarette which butt some people are more than happy to discard somewhere below.

I take a holier than thou approach to smoking and roll sans filter. I may push the boat out now and then and use a paper roach (from the Rizla packet) but being paper it should dissolve into Marmot nutrient in no time Wink

Very Happy Very Happy
Rollies are the way to go. I do enjoy the smell of tobacco, either fresh, burning or burnt. Although I have a penchant for the cold stale/sweet one. Some do have a very pleasant fragrance.

yep, and the paper is most probably full of fiber which is good for the marmot's intestinal transit...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
volklwaffen wrote:
...the paper is most probably full of fiber which is good for the marmot's intestinal transit...

It keeps them 'regular' as my gran would say Smile

Anyway, an interesting thread so far, although it seems most people's budgets aren't far too removed from one another.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1, I am self employed also, when I became S/E ( best move I have ever done by the way ) I worked out what I needed to earn each day to maintain my employed salary and maintain my income after taking out time for 4 weeks holidays, 1 week sick and week between xmas and New Year. I can now go away for 4 weeks hols each year (its now 5 actually as we bought a cheap caravan and go away in to for 2 weeks in the summer) without thinking that whilst I am away I am not earning any money I just view time off on hols as paid leave, and more importantly spend quality time with my wife and son as he grows up and still wants to come on holiday with us. Back to the thread, for our weeks skiing I look for the best deal with a T/O that give us ski in ski out location, easy transfer, half board and kids club. Prices have gone up for this season, have had to pay £2400 for the 3 of us to get this inc the kids club but not lift passes yet. I budget on 30 euros on the slopes each day for coffee and food ( we share a Tartiflette most days and a couple of warm drinks with cake ), I find the idea of going back to the hotel/resort for lunch eats in to the skiing time too much. A few drinks in the evening with the meal is fine, cant drink til all hours and ski the next day, and when Ive paid to ski thats what I want to do. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
£100 per day for each full sunny day on the piste is my base price, which includes everything including spending money.

This cannot usually be done outside of Scotland, and it can be even cheaper in Scotland (last year it was about £70 all inclusive).

For a week abroad with 6 full days skiing, that would only be £600. That is barely enough to cover flights, accomodation, lift pass, ski transport and return trip to the airport.

It can be done if you take buses, and go for cheapest options, but you would have very little spending money left over and you would still be likely to get a few white out days out of these 6 days booked.

It is not worth it really, for the extra mileage and variety available.

I would rather climb the local hill on a bright sunny day with no wind, and ski 500m for nothing!

Also, when you consider the difference in price for medical and travel insurance between skiing in Scotland and going abroad the gap in prices widens further.

Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoffknight wrote:
ansta1, I am self employed also, when I became S/E ( best move I have ever done by the way ) I worked out what I needed to earn each day to maintain my employed salary and maintain my income after taking out time for 4 weeks holidays, 1 week sick and week between xmas and New Year. I can now go away for 4 weeks hols each year (its now 5 actually as we bought a cheap caravan and go away in to for 2 weeks in the summer) without thinking that whilst I am away I am not earning any money I just view time off on hols as paid leave, and more importantly spend quality time with my wife and son as he grows up and still wants to come on holiday with us. Back to the thread, for our weeks skiing I look for the best deal with a T/O that give us ski in ski out location, easy transfer, half board and kids club. Prices have gone up for this season, have had to pay £2400 for the 3 of us to get this inc the kids club but not lift passes yet. I budget on 30 euros on the slopes each day for coffee and food ( we share a Tartiflette most days and a couple of warm drinks with cake ), I find the idea of going back to the hotel/resort for lunch eats in to the skiing time too much. A few drinks in the evening with the meal is fine, cant drink til all hours and ski the next day, and when Ive paid to ski thats what I want to do. Very Happy

agree and that is all factored in, its just the mental niggle that if i am out of the office i'm losing £x per day/week.

havent had a sick day in over 15 years, despite working 6/7 days most weeks in one way or another.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feef,
Quote:
I'm doing my first UCPA in march, and I wish I'd found out about them sooner. At 38 I'm almost at the end of being able to use UCPA even before I've begun

I'm 47 and will be doing my 4th UCPA trip this season. £780 for the guided off-piste week inc. flights and transfer is unbeatable value. As snowball says, just hiring a guide for 5 days would cost around £400.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Total budget £1000/person to include private lessons and spending money.

Our DIY booking for February 2013 in Mayrhofen= £1160 for two people, S/C in an apartment, flights (with ski carriage & prebooked seats etc), return minibus transfers and 6 days lift passes. Leaving £400 for 3 days private ski lessons and £450-ish for spending money/food money.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always reckon £1k per person per week to a standard TO CC on a quiet week to cover everything.

The 'luxuries' in that would be:

Lunches on the slope €10-15 per person per day.
Nice meal out on the night off at €50ish including wine.
I try not to drink out and about, often buy bottles of supermarket wine or beer to have in the chalet after dinner.
snow conditions
Though usually somewhat frugal, I don't have much financial discipline on holiday.
ski holidays
laundryman, There's a lot to be said for that. Having sorted most things as cheaply as possible I then tend to take the attitude o f"I'm on holiday now so if I/we want it I/we can have it"
snow report
Interesting.

I do like the opinion split i.e. those that aren't overly bothered about the cost of skiing - as in "it is a holiday, after all, and I want to have a good time, so cost is secondary to that" and then those who passionately look to screw down the last cent in the pursuit of achieving their week or two away on the slopes with every cost-cutting trick in the book.

Both fine with me, but one side does tend to snipe at the other rather more than the other way round Puzzled rolling eyes

I don't tend to budget, personally. I know that I will spend between x & y depending on when/where I go and when I book. I don't like scrimping when away, because its not in my nature. I've managed to have an entire week with everything in (not spending money) for £750 and probably not much less. I've paid considerably more too. I tend to be reasonably sensible week to week and then let it all go when I'm away - Winter or Summer. I reckon on about £100 - £150/day spending money if staying somewhere on an HB basis.
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
Interesting.

I do like the opinion split i.e. those that aren't overly bothered about the cost of skiing - as in "it is a holiday, after all, and I want to have a good time, so cost is secondary to that" and then those who passionately look to screw down the last cent in the pursuit of achieving their week or two away on the slopes with every cost-cutting trick in the book.

From the cost-cutting perspective, there is the possibility that some people look to squeeze as much skiing as possible into a season and that saving £300 on a couple of trips pays for an extra week.

While not that cost conscious re holidays I do find myself appraising summer holiday options through a filter of "Hmm why would I pay that for a long haul flight when there's no snow there".
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
Interesting.

From the cost-cutting perspective, there is the possibility that some people look to squeeze as much skiing as possible into a season and that saving £300 on a couple of trips pays for an extra week.

As I said, both approaches are fine with me Smile
ski holidays
I have to admit that on the last trip me and the missus made to L2A, we did head back to the chalet a lot to take advantage of the free tea/coffee and the cakes. It was more out of taking it easy than any cost cutting - we'd hammer around in the morning and then come 1pm, we'd be back at base eating and drinking the freebies. We'd also take a half baguette filled with meat and cheese out with us as a bit of extra fuel, but would also grab something to eat either in the resort (crepes, chips, stuff like that) or we'd have a sarnie or something similar on the slopes, all depending on where we were at the time and how big the queues were at the eateries.
ski holidays
I do remember a thread way back where myself and another long-gone SnowHead tried to outdo each other with the low cost of our ski holiday. I think we both went to Serre Chevalier.
snow conditions
fatbob,
Quote:

While not that cost conscious re holidays I do find myself appraising summer holiday options through a filter of "Hmm why would I pay that for a long haul flight when there's no snow there".

I couldn't agree more. Mrs M keeps wanting to go to the alps in the summer Puzzled

Why Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
musher, Alps are great in summer & a lot more laid back. Don't underestimate how steep hiking "that gentle blue" will be however.
ski holidays
Alps in the summer or another skiing holiday...hmmmmmmmmmmm Very Happy
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
I reckon on about £100 - £150/day spending money if staying somewhere on an HB basis.

If half board, what does the £100-£150 per day spending money cover? Beer? I normally find £200 per week is sufficient for me, but I'm not much of a drinker...
snow report
queen bodecia, lunch as well? It does seem a bit steep though even for me who does tend to knock back the wine.
I would probably budget that per day for two of us self-catering and including lunch and evening drinks.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, yes I normally take €300 and bring back €50-€100. Dinner on the mountain is usually around €10 per day, plus same again on drinks plus a few bits and bobs here and there. There's not really much opportunity to spend money anywhere else unless you go to places like Zermatt and Kitzbühel where there are loads of shops.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
I reckon on about £100 - £150/day spending money if staying somewhere on an HB basis.

If half board, what does the £100-£150 per day spending money cover? Beer? I normally find £200 per week is sufficient for me, but I'm not much of a drinker...

Airport/plane food/drinks, lunch, drinks (on-mountain/apres - alchoholic or non as the case may be), replacement/new gear (sometimes), wine with dinner (asuming not CC inclusive deal), taxis etc etc - stuff, basically. As said before, I don't like to feel that one has to scrimp when its a holiday.

Each to their own and all that, eh?
latest report
With the job I currently have, I can't afford to go skiing. I'm somehow booked to go to St Anton in January, though!

Managed to get flights, transfer and accom for £430 which I think is pretty good. Add another £270 for pass and skis.

Not bothered about lunch on the mountain at all, It'll normally consist of something from the supermarket and maybe a beer if we stop. The main extra cost will probably be beer, eating is done from the supermarket or 1 meal a day at a cheaper restaurant in town (pizza, probably!)
snow report
Chasseur, of course, but I'd really struggle to eat/drink £100 per day's worth on top of half board. Are you a chubber...? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Chasseur, of course, but I'd really struggle to eat/drink £100 per day's worth on top of half board. Are you a chubber...? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Chasseur only drinks at the Farinet & the Farm Club.
snow conditions
The Farinet does look rather nice http://www.hg2verbier.com/bars/club/---farinet---switzerland though not quite the rather edgier, dancing on the tables places I'd probably head for, given the choice Laughing

queen bodecia, not exactly skinny, if that's what you mean. Its not that hard to spend in the mountains, if you relax the purse strings a bit you know. Coffee and a large brandy at 9.30, hot chocolate and rum around 11, a couple of beers with lunch, a few vin-chauds around 3pm and then a good 3-4 beers before dinner. Bottle of wine with dinner and then out again for more beer and shots. Its really not that difficult.
ski holidays
Chasseur, that's way more than I could manage... wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Coffee and a large brandy at 9.30, hot chocolate and rum around 11, a couple of beers with lunch, a few vin-chauds around 3pm and then a good 3-4 beers before dinner. Bottle of wine with dinner and then out again for more beer and shots. Its really not that difficult.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Chasseur, was that you in the apres zone wondering about what kind of terrible sacrifices you might need to make to get your blood pressure down?

That's a pretty lethal regime, even for a holiday.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
musher, Alps are great in summer & a lot more laid back. Don't underestimate how steep hiking "that gentle blue" will be however.

Indeed !... I can only agree on that !
latest report
Quote:

That's a pretty lethal regime, even for a holiday.

Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w, all a thing of the past, I rather think rolling eyes
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:
Interesting.

It's interesting indeed. I'm going to Vail in February with the in-laws. There are 8 of going in total...all staying in one self-catering chalet. Half of us are from the 'I couldn't care less what it costs' school of thought and the other half are the home-made sandwichs on the slopes, penny-pinching sort. It'll be the first time we've all been away together and the arguments have already started about what/where we'll be eating in the evening. We want to eat out most nights, the others want to stay in every night and have us all share the cooking and food shopping Shocked It's going to be an interesting trip i'm sure!
ski holidays
My own reading of this thread is a bit different. There are a few "have a blow out and hang the expense" contributors, and some "pinch rolls from the breakfast buffet" penny pinchers, but most seem to fall into a sensible mid-range. Have a decent holiday without spending more than is necessary to have a good time or running serious risks to health by drinking obscene amounts of alcohol.

Katie Smiler, Hmm. I'd suggest that you come to an arrangement where the "savers" shop, cook and pay for meals in for half the holiday, and the "spenders" treat them to dinners out for the other half. Each group then spends about as much as they would if they had things entirely their own way, and the holiday should be most enjoyable!

Or, of course, each group does its own thing....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy