Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how can I keep track of my child at a ski resort? [GPS?]

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody, I sympathise with the thoughts, there’s nothing worse than losing a child, I know I’ve been there. As for keeping an eye on them well easier said than done particularly if there’s more than one and they go places where any normal person won’t.

However on the subject of spy type trackers there a few about but in my experience they are not as good as they would have you believe and the data cost when roaming are not cheap. A cheap solution however is to use something that a 9 year old would already have. A smart phone, give him a call, there aren’t many resorts where mobile phones don’t work. If you need to keep track of your buddy remotely then take a look at Google Latitude, it’s a utility in Google Maps and it allows you to see where all logged in users are not just the two skiers, and it’s free but does use a data connection.

If you need data abroad then get a spare phone and a PAYG sim in the country where you going.

John Bird
www.gtrek.co.uk
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
in my skiing group there are usually 6 adults and two children (mine). We ski in a loose line with an adult at the front, another bringing up the rear with everyone else in the middle. The boys know to keep a known person in sight and - if all else fails and they lose sight - to ski to a pre-determined piste marker. I also make a laminated card for each if the boys to keep in their inside pockets detailing their name, DOB, address in resort, EHIC number and a variety of mobile numbers for responsible adults in the group as well as some UK numbers of relatives etc. Thankfully we haven't had to use any of this yet, and reading the above, hope we never do, but things happen
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great thread. I have now booked my vasectomy...

Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm just thinking back to all those skiing holidays as a child where myself, my sister or our friends of a similar age on family skiing holidays got lost and needed microwave transmitters and radar to let folks know where we were.... oh... we didn't. We did what we were told and stuck to the runs we said we were going to be on. Discipline is far more effective than technology. Trackers just deal with the symptoms, not the cause.

now where did I put that asbestos hoodie?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feef, I completely agree with you....... but (dons devils advocate asbestos cloak) one shouldn't ignore the fact that accidents or mistakes do sometimes happen and having a solution to the problem is not a bad back up plan. Cue insurance, avi shovel, transc, helmet (oh no I've only gone and mentioned a helmet again) discussion.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1 wrote:
feef, I completely agree with you....... but (dons devils advocate asbestos cloak) one shouldn't ignore the fact that accidents or mistakes do sometimes happen and having a solution to the problem is not a bad back up plan. Cue insurance, avi shovel, transc, helmet (oh no I've only gone and mentioned a helmet again) discussion.

I quite agree, but those things are useful anywhere... the important thing was that we were skiing where we said we were going to be, or we were told to be. Had anything happened, then it would have been easier to at least start looking within a defined area.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy