Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Reverse V Scott Crusade

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the current Scott ski range, in particular comments from anyone thats tried the Scott Reverse and Scott Crusade side by side. I've found a few reviews on the Scott Reverse, but they don't really give much detail. Similarly I've found some good comments on the Scott Crusade, but no one seems to have compared both.

I'm looking for a one ski quiver, that can cope as well on piste as my current Volkl AC30's, but be more manageable off piste. I don't need an extreme off piste ski, just something that copes well between the pistes and the occasional powder day, whilst still being good fun and manageable in bumps and steeps like the Courchevel couloirs.

On the face of it, both skis have nice low turning radius at 15M to 16M (for my prefered sizes) - which i'd much prefer over the Volkl's (at 18M). The dimensions overall of these two Scott's are roughly similar except the amount of rocker being more on the Crusade. Which seems to be the reason why the Crusade gets a 60-40 rating by Scott versus the 50-50 of the Reverse. Coming from old school skis I'm still unsure about too much rocker on my skis, so the Reverse wins slightly on paper purely for having less rocker.

I've demo'ed the Reverse at Hemel and thoroughly enjoyed it (although it was on the short side for me at 166). I found it coped with the scraped icy bit in the centre fine and was good fun through the bumps either side of the ice. The only part it seemed to cope less well with was the mush at the sides of the piste. Obviously this doesn't tell me how it will ski out on the real stuff, but I'm sure I'd have some fun with this ski in the mountains, be it Piste, Bumps or Steeps. The only question is how much fun off piste. The problem is I've only found online retailers selling the Crusade, so haven't been able to demo this ski. So the main question is how much better off piste is it over the Reverse, and how much does that affect its on piste/bumps/ice performance against the Reverse.

I'm also undecided on length at the moment between the 176-184 (Reverse) & 179-189 (Crusade). I'm 6ft & 12.5 St, so thinking the 176 or 179 would be best option for bump/steeps fun Happy, but realise the 184 & 189 would help with the powder float, at the cost of bump fun Sad I like to ski fast(ish) on piste, particularly the morning gromers, play in bumps/gullys/steeps, and mess about between the pistes on powder days in particluar. So think I may go for the 184 Reverse or the 179 Crusade (Think the 189 Crusade would be too cumbersome in the bumps n steeps?)

And then there is a fly in the ointment - the 178 Scott Venture ... Which should be best of all off piste, but does it cope well on piste/bumps/steeps?

Any thoughts n comments gratefully received. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't comment on the crusades as I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. However I demo'ed some salomon bb8.9s, head rev 80 and 90, scott reverses and ventures at the weekend at chill factore.

The sollys, I liked the shape, but that was it! They felt dead under foot to me. The rev 80's and 90's I liked but as I've always found with heads you really have to work them to get the best out of them.

The ventures were good overall but I prefer something that is quicker edge to edge so the reverses were the best of the lot for me. Though I too could only try them in 166 and I really need the 176 to try which fortunately my mate who's a Scott rep can let me try out.

I thought the reverses were really lively. They seemed to cope with some hard patches on the slope fine, plus little bumps that were forming along with the soft stuff too. If the 176 is similar then that will be the ski for me though I do want to try the crusades as well.

I'll add to this if I get a chance to try the crusades out.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Caveat - my stats ; 100 -110 Kg (heavier end with Scott Mission, lighter with Crusade) - 6ft 1 i.e. 185 cm. Advanced Skier.

I moved from the 183 cm Mission to the 189 cm Crusade last year ( the 2006 Mission to the 2010 Crusade - AFAIK only changes on year to year models are top sheet design, but correct me etc..)

I ski the Crusade all over the mountain. My reason for switching was : I needed more float in the off piste - so even through the crusade is more 50 50 than the Mission the 189 has more surface area.

What I discovered is that the Venturi rocker does contribute to it skiing "shorter" so it feels no different in length to the 183 (though it probably has effective length at 185 ish). Off piste, steep, powder, tracked powder, crud - as i expected , all very good, controlled etc. Where I was very positively surprised was in hard pack, ice, carving where it exceeded my expectations - much better edge hold and torsional stiffness than my Mission setup ( caveat - an old ski with a free ride touring binding so maybe not optimal).

I discounted the Reverse as I saw it as a twin tip "trick" ski - maybe because i read somewhere that it was a twin tip version of the Mission or the Venture??? (I think UK shops only want to commit to a limited amount of the Scott range and brands like Line and Volkl have a big following in the 95-110 widths as well). Ironically the Venture had nt come out at that point otherwise i would def have gone for it - but now not so sure, as I have bought a wider (110cm width) for those kind of days.

I know it doesn't compare directly but I m sure someone will be along in a minute!

Good luck
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ski last seasons crusade, and it's a great all mountain ski, fast and solid, it does need to be skied though, cruising around you need something softer! I gues the reverse would be better if you want to hit the park as well. I will say though that for skiing off piste in Europe I prefer to ski my salomon shoguns the're more stable with a longer radius and more nose rocker.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scott list the reverses in their 'all mountain' range along with the crusade and the venture.

Just to add my stats for comparison: weight 100kg, height 5ft 10, rolling eyes , L3 ISIA instructor. Currently ski 1 month per year, used to work full seasons for ten years.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skir67 wrote:

I d be really interested to hear what you make of them after skiing the rest of the range - so please try and make it happen!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skir67,
Quote:

I thought the reverses were really lively. They seemed to cope with some hard patches on the slope fine, plus little bumps that were forming along with the soft stuff too. If the 176 is similar then that will be the ski for me though I do want to try the crusades as well.

I'd be keen to know when you get your hands on the 176 Reverse and hopefully the Crusade too Happy Your thoughts on the 166 Reverse are virtually the same as mine.

Does anyone know if any Shops in Meribel stock the Scott range to demo?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mmmmm... after a trip to the London Ski Show today, I'm now starting to look at the Scott Venture. Sounds like they are quite a capable all mountain ski that still has good on piste performance. Puzzled

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Scott Venture (especially in comparison to the Reverse and / or the Crusade) ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found that on the whole I liked the ventures but that I preferred the reverses for the fact that they are narrower so I found they were quicker edge to edge. The ventures start getting into the width under foot and general overall size (tip, waist and tail) that I start to have doubts about how well they will cope in bumps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I dont know what price you are seeing these at but I d be having a serious look at the Mantras, Kendos and maybe the Gotamas in the Volkl Sport Pursuit offload - look at thread elsewhere here for links etc.

Venture is going to be a great ski, just more work to get edge to edge as per ^^. But the prices for some of those Volkls look pretty interesting to me - almost a whole other problem!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dabski wrote:
skir67,
Quote:

I'd be keen to know when you get your hands on the 176 Reverse and hopefully the Crusade too Happy Your thoughts on the 166 Reverse are virtually the same as mine.

Does anyone know if any Shops in Meribel stock the Scott range to demo?

Well I got to try the crusades in a 179 yesterday, to me they felt very similar to the ventures. They were extremely stable at speed and held on edge beautifully. You had to work quite hard to make them do a shorter turn but I think with familiarity they would work well with those too.

I took some reverses out again this time in a 184 as my friend didn't have his set of 176's available. I've decided to go for the reverses in a 176 with a guardian binding mounted which I'll be collecting tomorrow. snowHead Can't wait to get them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skir67 wrote:

I took some reverses out again this time in a 184 as my friend didn't have his set of 176's available. I've decided to go for the reverses in a 176 with a guardian binding mounted which I'll be collecting tomorrow. snowHead Can't wait to get them.

I demo'ed a number of skis at the EB demo day in MK on Saturday and got to spend some time on the Scott Reverse in the 176. This has confirmed its the ski for me, especially when compared to the other brands similar models I tried in the same session. Admittedly indoors is not the best place to try any ski at their best, but the Reverse was the most pleasing and fun of the lot, and the only one i wanted to keep going up n down on rather than give back. Unfortunately they didnt have the Crusades to demo, but chatting with the Scott rep I think the Crusades will be a bit too stiff for me in the bumps in particular. So i've decided to go for the Reverse (176) Happy Just waiting to hear back about stock levels and delivery delivery times, etc... and then i'll be the proude owner of the same too Happy

I've also decided if the conditions are good enough, i'm definately gunna try demo the Scott Venture again, whilst in resort. MK slope is not ideal to see how a wide ski will behave off piste. But it did cope better than i'd expected with the icy bits. Definately one to demo on the real stuff if i get chance Happy

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback above!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy