Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine to Telemark - making the change

Poster: A snowHead
you'll have to wait until the end of the month for pics when I go for my first whole week of tele. Not forgetting my retro straight tele skis. You can find all the kit on Ebay Wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RozziZ82, careful on those, old plastic and wood may not be ready for a heavyweight outing. Cables and connections the same. Oh and technique is going to be 'interesting' def need vid.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah I had a binding snap on my first run last year, had to hop back on the chair and go down 10 seconds after I arrived Embarassed , hopefully they will take the punishment without going ping. one of the boot "keep my ski if it comes off" strap wires isn't, it's a piece of paracord! still does the job, if not quick release at the end of the day. they have a slight carve (early 90s) to them, but I figure if I can learn on those I can then move on to carving proper when I upgrade to modern skis. I will whack a pic up of them tomoz.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just read this thread for the first time - a good read. But what happened to the lad? I see some very good telemarkers off piste here, from time to time but as mentioned above I also see them fall quite a lot. Still cool, though. There was a telemark competition here a coupla weeks ago but I had to go to Geneva and missed it. They get dressed up for it. Even pipes, sometimes.

Saw a telemark lesson under way once. 6 pupils aged from 8 to about 80, by the look of them. Doing well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's good fun however it feels like hard work when learning. When it clicks, it's amazing!

For thee down south, there's a group that tele there on a Sunday morning.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RozziZ82, excellent photo that really sums it all up. Tele gear cobbled together, patched up and tied with string. Why not replace the paracord with some bailer twine for a really authentic rustic look.

(My bindings are also cobbled together with various bits not matching).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RozziZ82, when you swop those for something with a little more connection to the 21st. century . . . you're going to eat soooo much snow Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

RozziZ82, when you swop those for something with a little more connection to the 21st. century . . . you're going to eat soooo much snow Twisted Evil

no change there then! although they have a *little* carve on them, but you're right i have to go 60/40 out to in on these, not 50/50
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I really need to grow my beard again and try this out Toofy Grin

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RozziZ82,
Quote:

when you swop those for something with a little more connection to the 21st. century . . .

Seriously, some slightly less ancient bindings will be a really big help. I'd recommend some, but Masque, will tell me off Laughing

Are you boots a similar vintage ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Quote:

when you swop those for something with a little more connection to the 21st. century . . .

Seriously, some slightly less ancient bindings will be a really big help

Though you could argue that starting on some "legacy" binders would mean that when you do upgrade to something from the 21st century, you will be a tele-god Toofy Grin as you will have honed your technique to perfection, and the new kit will make life sooooo easy.

My progression was Rotefella pins (#2 in the pic below),Riva-2(#5),Rainey Superloop(#7) and currently on Kahru-7tm(#8 )
(I never did try out the wooden ones (#1) - they're now on the wall of my mate's appartment)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers is another candidate for the OCD thread Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Seriously, some slightly less ancient bindings will be a really big help. I'd recommend some, but Masque, will tell me off Laughing

Are you boots a similar vintage ?

Scarpa T3s... i'm following Geoffers reasoning, nothing to do with the skis being free and me being v v tight..oh no Toofy Grin

Seriously though, as this is a techniques thread after all, do you think there will be much difference between learning on the above kit vs a modern set of carvers? other than a slight change in weight distribution to 50/50 ??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geoffers, RozziZ82,

Quote:

Though you could argue that starting on some "legacy" binders would mean that when you do upgrade to something from the 21st century, you will be a tele-god

Well based on what I learned (starting on 3 pins, leather boots........), you get to be very very good a picking yourself up, and if you are fit enough (and try hard enough) you'll eventually get there - bit you will spend a lot of time recovering from a lack of balance. To progress - and I was very much in the sackcloth and ashes school of learning - more supportive, reactive equipment will give you a much better chance of progressing fast.

I moved to plastic boots in the late 90s.. finished up then with T1s and Superloops. I then did the 'I don't want to waste money on this because I not yet good enough'..... roll forward 10 years.... try some newer T1s---- wow ! Try some newer bindings --- and suddenly I don't have to carry a complete spare set with me because they don't break any more... and they are just supportive enough that bumps, powder etc become something to enjoy, rather than endure. I'm still not a tele-God tho....

Mrs Ski has taken up tele in the last couple of years - she wanted to reduce time on Alpine after doing both ACLs -- her progression has been way faster and easier than mine -- a lot has to do with talent, but the equipment was a big help too.

I sometimes take the leathers and superloops to Hemel... certainly it's the same sport --- but much harder.
snow report
BenAS : Let's see, I am a competent, in-control but basically mediocre alpine skier. My fitness, until quite recently, was also mediocre. So you're ahead of me in those respects.

I'm currently at a stage where I can confidently link proper tele-turns on reds without significant moguls. I can link tele-turns acceptably down blacks, but honestly I'm doing a lot of shopping for turns on the really steep bits. A really well-moguled run of any difficulty makes me turn alpine-style. On Blues I can deal with moderate moguls and even enjoy it if my legs are fresh.

With good visibility, on a blue-gradient with several inches of fresh powder on a firm base I am basically a tele-god Smile

I got there by doing:

Firstly, a couple of hours here and there during holidays in Norway and Scotland, plus some visits to Chill Factor in Manchester. Frankly this didn't get me very far very fast because I didn't do it for long enough at a time.

2 years ago:
a 9-day trip of which I spent 7.5 on tele skis. (plus 1 on cross country gear)
a 1-week package, all spent on tele skis, plus one 2-hour lesson.

Last year:
one 2-week trip to Norway, 9.5 days spent on tele skis (plus 2 on cross country gear)
Manchester Telemark festival at Chill Factor, which included some coaching.

So about 4-5 weeks on telemark kit if you don't count the bits and bobs I started with.
latest report
ap96, I am fat, fourty something and live in Liverpool. I am not fit, my buns are like - well buns, big fat cream buns....humm cream buns......

I can also make tele-turns on blues, reds and easy blacks on piste and on easy / light off piste (but not with any significant gradient off piste). On a blue- gradient with light fresh pow (just a bit) and a firm base I too appear to have God like powers.

What does this tell us?

1. Telemarking isn't as hard as everyone thinks?

2. I possess massive natural talent that has been tragically unrecognised?

3. Mysterious forces are at work?

4. I am a hopeless liar?

I know which option I prefer.
latest report
[quote="RozziZ82"]
Quote:
Seriously though, as this is a techniques thread after all, do you think there will be much difference between learning on the above kit vs a modern set of carvers? other than a slight change in weight distribution to 50/50 ??

'Cos on carvers you can CARVE! . . . big GS turns , short fast leade change slalom, its FUN!!! HUGE FUN There's not a better feeling in the world than to hammer knee down and edges singing past some numpties smearing their way down a smooth red . . . you can almost hear the faint gasps from the ladies . . . if you don't come off the hill with a lump in yer trousers you may as well have the lid nailed shut and the wake called.

Almost as good as thigh deep powder on my board . . . but with an audience Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Masque,
Quote:

if you don't come off the hill with a lump in yer trousers you may as well have the lid nailed shut and the wake called.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

RozziZ82,

It might be the graphics -- but those skis look to be quite carvy to me. Don't forget all (alpine) skis since the Head Standard (1951) have been skis you can carve on.

Whatever you do, enjoy -- but (if you can) -- spend some time on a more modern (bindings, boots, skis) setup and see how you go snowHead

So Masque,
Quote:

but with an audience

Tele is just about showing off ?
latest report
ski, Tele is a personal challenge, an embouchure for our chosen instrument, a meld of style and function that only a snowboard surpasses, taught sinews, strength, synergy and sex . . .
and you ask . . . "Tele is just about showing off ?"

Of course it is you Muppet rolling eyes
snow conditions
Masque, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing (again)
ski holidays
Ooh, and I should that Allen and Mike's Really Cool Telemark Tips is awesome. I basically self-taught using that, put it in my rucksack and had a quick read between runs to find a new exercise to try.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy