Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Between lac Annecy and Geneva Airport

Poster: A snowHead
We are in Talloire , lac Annecy for a few days , early am flight to Geneva, hoping to catch some skiing on way, can anyone recommend somewhere , reasonably enroute, does not need to be a mega resort, will be there for one day

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dublin2, when?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
7 Dec , Pam

And one other questions, have not flown to Geneva before :

Is it the French side of geneva airport that has ski equipped hire cars or Swiss
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's the Swiss side which will have snow tyres. I can't think of anywhere near that route which will have skiing on 7 December - most resorts, even a good way off the route, won't be open then.

You would need to do some serious driving to get to an open resort that early in the month. Not practicable for a day, en route to the airport, really.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm, I would have said Jura, but they don't open until 22nd Dec (http://www.monts-jura.com/en/welcome/index.php). I don't personally know any others close to Annecy or Geneva that would be open that early. Edit - just saw their website says thet might open early if there's enough snow - but that's a very long shot that early.

The swiss side has the winterisation included - it's swiss law past a certain date (15th Nov?). French side you have to book and pay separetly.

Edit 2 - Ooops, pam w beat me to it Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There may be a partial opening at Chamonix if conditions are suitable, but other than that nowhere else I can think of will be open I'm afraid, and Chamonix isn't that close to Annecy. Avoriaz for example doesn't start its season until Dec 15th, and that is usually one of the early ones

And yes +1 regarding it being the Swiss side for winter tyres, etc
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok Thanks Folks, if no where is open that early, we may to have take a rain-check. However if there is extensive early season snow, we may be in luck

We are heading over anyway, so if can ski it's a bonus, but not a show-stopper

Fixx
Is Jura the name of the ski resort
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Clusaz might be open but that is the only place that springs to mind.

Andy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Clusaz might be open but that is the only place that springs to mind.

Andy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Is Jura the name of the ski resort

It is the name of the mountain Range that boarders part of France and Switzerland, lower and less snow sure than the Alps, but much cheaper and very different experience.

There is a great piece in the current Aer lingus Cara magazine about a ski trip there if you know someone flying who can grab you a copy.

Not exactly on the way but Tignes is about another 90 minutes from Annecy and will be open but quite the drive down.

Failing that you could come to the Ski Club of Ireland when we get our traditional early season powder day for your snow fix wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Rousses is one of the main ski areas in the Jura. It'd be surprising if they had much snow then, and more surprising if they were open on a Friday. Some local areas will be open at weekends, if there's enough snow, in early December.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand (25-30 mins drive from Talloire) will be open at weekends in early Dec providing there is enough snow. They are nor scheduled to open permanently until later in the month.
Alternatively you could head south to a high resort such as Val Thorens - about 1.45hrs from Talloire - which is almost certain to be open.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chamonix is an hour from Talloires but the normal areas won't be open. La Clusaz is only 25 mins but unlikely that it will be open in my opinion, but you never know. You might get lucky with the weather. There is also Le Semnoz just above Annecy which might be open. The Swiss side has equipped cars but it is a lot more expensive than hiring from the French side in my experience. If you can't get to a ski resort drive to Yvoire, it is really pretty and a good day trip...
Val Thorens will be definitely open or Tignes if you are desperate...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try here right above Annecy, http://semnoz.fr
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Folks, excellent info here

Hi Pam

Does Notre Dame, and the ski Dimant area ever open early, if good conditions about ?
snow report
dublin2, Les Saisies (part of) will be open weekends from early December, but no chance at all on a Friday, judging from past experience, even if there are metres of snow. Rven at the weekend, if you were going to drive that far, you'd be better driving another 30 minutes or so and getting to Val Thorens, which will have more open and almost certainly more snow, being so high.
snow report
Le Grand Bornand - 25 mins from Talloire - will be open over the weekend of 8/9 Dec - when they hold their annual ski test - all the major ski brands are present and you can ski fro free on different skis throughout the day (for free). Definitely worth going to.
snow report
Fogliettaz wrote:
Try here right above Annecy, http://semnoz.fr

You'll need to keep an eye on the website near the time, and don't rely on it. They might open a drag or two early-season snow permitting, but scheduled opening is either the 15th or 22nd. Bit of a schlep from Talloires too as you're at the wrong end of, and at the wrong side of, the lake - which is a rather large obstacle as far as driving is concerned.

From Talloires, you could also see if Seythenex/Sambuy is open. It's just a short drive east through Faverges. Again, check the website nearer the time.

La Balme at La Clusaz is the most likely hill to open. Allow at least 45 minutes to get there on a weekday, and allow at least an hour at the weekend, as all the Annecy riff raff like me will be on the same road as you once you get to around Alex or Thones. Follow signes to 'Les Confins' from La Clusaz to get the big car park at the base of the lift there.

Not sure why people are describing La Clusaz or Grand Bo as being 25 minutes from Talloires. You'd never ever do it in 25 minutes, ever.

The only thing skiable within 25 minutes of Talloires is Montmin, which I believe is a single-drag-lift-with-two-ways-down setup. Worth it for an hour or two if you're desparate, and the kind of place that opens 'when it can' rather than to scheduled dates. Definitely don't rely on this one!

On balance, if it's open, your best compromise between journey time and worthwhileness, would be Seythenex. IF it's open.
latest report
fixx wrote:
The swiss side has the winterisation included - it's swiss law past a certain date (15th Nov?). French side you have to book and pay separetly.

Edit 2 - Ooops, pam w beat me to it Smile

Last February some of my mates came over, booked a car from the Swiss side of GVA, and had to pay extra for a 'Winter Pack' which included snow tyres and chains. 14 quid for a long weekend. That was via Holiday Autos, so I'm not 100% sure which actual vendor it ended up being.
snow conditions
I've heard of that before - but it's a bit of a scam. If they said now I think they would have magically found the car already had snow tyres on (that's the compulsory bit) and chains in the boot. At least that's been my experience occasionally with car from the airport.

Good point though - always worth checking with the company when booking.

I'll see if I can find the actual law as well somewhere, might be handy to have printed out when visiting the airport Toofy Grin

Edit: sorry, no actual law - the AA has a good summary here: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

So if you don't have the right tyres/equipment you could be subject to a fine, which is why they're pretty much taken as mandatory here. As before, I always check when booking, but I've always had it included when booking from the swiss side at the airport (or much more frquently for me, in town).
ski holidays
fixx, also, if you are in an accident when there's ice or snow around and you don't have snow tyres on, it's apparently then your liability.

I am afraid that I'm going to suggest that very few places will be open Dec 9 - it's way too early.
snow conditions
fixx wrote:
So if you don't have the right tyres/equipment you could be subject to a fine.

Thus giving car hire companies carte blanche to charge you extra for them.
ski holidays
Someone posted about the extra charges a couple of years ago. Did the whole argument about "the tyres are on there anyway" and got absolutely nowhere. It was politely suggested he was very welcome to go and hire a car somewhere else. The Swiss are not known for their flexibility. You need to establish exactly what the costs are at the outset, and if it mentions extra for winter equipment, you either have to pay it or try another supplier.

Sometimes it's included, therefore not mentioned, therefore nobody gets their knickers in a twist before heading off on a holiday where the additional car hire charge for winter tyres is just a drop in the ocean.

I have NOT found a consistent price difference in favour of the French side - it varies between suppliers and even between vehicle types with the same supplier. On the French side you might not even get chains. Even if you have asked for them at the time of booking and are perfectly willing to pay.

Actually, come to think of it, you won't always get chains on Swiss side either. I spent an hour one Friday evening a few years ago helping some people with 2 Swiss hired cars. I had seen a horrendous snow forecast and warned them they'd probably need the chains for their early start, and to get them on the night before. We got the first set on, and the driver of the second car discovered he didn't have any and had to buy in resort - a scramble before the shops shut. Next morning there were huge snowfalls and they reckon they'd have had no chance without the chains. But the car firm did refund the cost of the chains, as they should have supplied them.

It would be very bad luck to be involved in an accident. Much more likely that you'll just be prevented from driving up to a resort unless you have chains (as well as snow tyres if it's an ordinary car). This happens when there's a lot of snow on a busy day.
snow conditions
Hi Folks

Just wondering in any resorts near Annecy apart from Val thorens will be open Dec 7

We are trying to avoid a long snowey drive from Talliores to VT on Friday, a lot of which is at altitude
snow conditions
dublin2, Above Chamonix, the Grands Montets will be open on December 8.
snow report
There's a good chance of all sorts of places opening a cheeky lift or two on the 8th and 9th including La Clusaz which is only a 12 minute drive away!

For Friday the 7th though, you need resorts that are actually 'open' in the normal sense of the word, not just opportunistic weekend pre-ouverture.

Val Thorens is probably the closest (90 minutes if you absolutely spank it and the roads are clear). Other than that it's Tignes really (getting on for 2 hours). Nowhere else springs to mind that is close enough to bear as a day out, unless you're very tolerant of road trips.
ski holidays
Thanks Mr Piehole

Will be heading to la Clusaz, Grand Bornard or Les Saises, sat 8th, which ever has more pistes open.
Trying to avoid the chaos you saw in LA Clusaz (La Balme), with very few pistes open last weekend

Friday the 7th , only leaves Val T, as there is heavy snow forecast, could be a very long drive, will have snow tyres and chains, but it will be slow
snow conditions
Crest-Volland would be your colsest best bet.
La Clusaz is a cool place to go to. Local.
When in Talloire do not forget to sample the local gastronomy !!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thats a good idea re Crest Voland, cant see any mention of it being open on the web, will ring them
snow report
With limited opening it will be a bit of scrum pretty much anywhere!

Thing about Val T is that unless you're actually driving during the snowfall, the road will be kept pretty decent - and you only have to get as far as the Boismint chairlift carpark not all the way into town. Chances are it might not be as bad as you think it is.

Dec 8th is opening day for various other bits of the 3Vs also. Since you're already at the tip of the lake, it's not very much farther to e.g. Brides Les Bains than it is to La Balme! Probably do it in an hour in good traffic, or an hour and a quarter to e.g. St Martin de Belleville.

Meanwhile it's a good 45 minutes to La Balme and easily an hour to Saisies...

Anyway, Saturday you'll have all sorts of choice. Friday is the dodgy one, and Val T is the only sensible option imho.
ski holidays
dublin2, I'd go the extra couple of miles to Les Saisies, even if Crest Voland has a bit open (which I doubt). There's really going to be quite a lot open in LS, including the fast Covetan lift which has a nice red run and a brand new blue one, which goes through a tunnel - we saw them building it in October. The Chamois chair feeds a good red/black area (with some nice betweenandbesides off piste, too.

I'd be surprised if it's a scrum - do report back if you give it a go. There's plenty of parking. But yes, an hour from Talloires - more, if the Gorge d'Arly is closed and you have to go via Villard sur Doron (not actually a very good idea, that, given the amount of snow which looks like falling.
latest report
and whatever you do, don't follow a satnav up along the winding road from Ugine to Bisanne 1500 - the top part of that road is closed all winter.
snow conditions
Thanks Pam

Good point Smile will be relying on sat nav, not familar with area

Looking at google maps
D1508 and D71A

Ugine
Cohennoz
Crest, then d71a a to Les Saises

Is this the best way ?
ski holidays
dublin1, not Cohennoz - that is up on the higher road, D71. There are two options. One is what you suggest, going through Crest Voland. The other is to carry on along the main road towards Megeve etc until you pick up the signposting up to Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Les Saisies. Very little to choose - the latter is a bit smoother, bit longer, just a couple of minutes more according to Google. I think if road conditions are bad I'd go for that one.

The important thing is to take the signposting to Megeve at Ugine - through the Gorge - and not be tempted to turn right up the road just past the huge factory, probably signposted Col de la Forclaz and Cohennoz. That's quite a good option in summer but completely impassable in winter.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
The important thing is to take the signposting to Megeve at Ugine - through the Gorge - and not be tempted to turn right up the road just past the huge factory, probably signposted Col de la Forclaz and Cohennoz. That's quite a good option in summer but completely impassable in winter.

I've been that way to get to Beaufort and the Cormet de Roselend a couple of months ago. Pretty hairy even in summer!
ski holidays
Thanks folks for all the info, praying the snow is lite on Friday, so we can drive to VT at at a reasonable pace

Will head to either Les Saises or la Clusaz (or possibly Grand Bornard) , sat, depending on where has most slopes open

Checking the webcams here from a very green Dublin, and they all look impressive
latest report
Quote:

hairy even in summer!

Indeed. And because some of it is just a forestry road, not a proper "classified" one it is sometimes shut for logging operations. Also plenty of Savoyard hunters, myrtille pickers and mushroom gatherers and up there. It's a roundabout route to the Cormet de Roselend, from Annecy! There are at least four different Cols de la Forclaz in the area - it's confusing.
snow report
pam w wrote:
It's a roundabout route to the Cormet de Roselend, from Annecy!

Yeah, it was a road-trip exploring day out Smile
snow report
The Arly Gorge, this morning:

latest report
Mr Piehole, Ah! They do say that that stretch of road is the most costly to maintain, in the whole of France. I scarcely ever drive it because the turn up to Les Saisies, coming from Sallanches/Megeve is just before the gates that they close across the road when stuff like that happens. Is there an easy way to check online whether the road is open? I've never needed to look, but for some of the weekend skiing proposed above it would be sensible to check.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy