Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French beer prices

Poster: A snowHead
Because drinking is big and clever!

Seriously though why not if you enjoy it, why ski?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zammo, Was very good thanks, The Parlour in NW10. We shared a smoked salmon and soda bread starter, 1 cow pie and 1 chicken for main, 2 x carafes of wine and 2 more glases, £80 the lot. The Northerners on here will probably be outraged right now, but down here in That London that's good value for decent food and wine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On a QUERTY keyboard......Alt Gr press this down simultaneously with 4 and hey presto you will get a

Sorry nothing more useful to contribute to this thread than that Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marmotte16 wrote:
On a QUERTY keyboard......Alt Gr press this down simultaneously with 4 and hey presto you will get a

Sorry nothing more useful to contribute to this thread than that Toofy Grin

ITYM on a Windows PC

Linux is different and on Mac it's alt+2
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I personally try not to let too much skiing get in the way of my beer-drinking holiday. Mid-morning beer stops, 2-hour lunches and apres from 3pm til 2am.

That's a joke BTW, although I'm sure some people do actually do that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
medlington wrote:
It seems you lot down in the big smoke don't really care as you get ripped off on a daily basis. Up here in the north you can still get decent pints for just over £2 so to have to pay E10 (arc 2000 a couple of years back) for a pint is scandalous.

Our usual trick is for everyone to need the loo at the same time during the transfer just before we get to the hypermarket then get them to stop for a toilet break while we just stock up on V. cheep beer, cheese and salami

You are the type of people that (as a transfer driver and scheduler) make my blood boil. Normally I will have other clients to pick up later in the day and thus do not have the extra 30 mins (can be more 1 hour once last season) spare for you to shop. If you want to shop on a transfer inform the provider beforehand and pay for the waiting time so that we can adjust our planning accordingly.

This is the reason that I do not stop for "toilet breaks' anywhere near a supermarket or restaurant. If a client requests a quick shopping trip and I have time I will stop for 30 mins, if I can't then I have to refuse the request

You have booked a transfer from A to B not a vehicle for the entire day.

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but it is my ABSOLUTE pet hate.

The end

Andy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Piccadilly, there are one or two I can think of.

anderoo, I agree. one of our local companies will take you shopping for a fee.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anderoo, I agree, too. Can imagine that it's intensely annoying. Some people only care about their own convenience.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anderoo wrote:
medlington wrote:
It seems you lot down in the big smoke don't really care as you get ripped off on a daily basis. Up here in the north you can still get decent pints for just over £2 so to have to pay E10 (arc 2000 a couple of years back) for a pint is scandalous.

Our usual trick is for everyone to need the loo at the same time during the transfer just before we get to the hypermarket then get them to stop for a toilet break while we just stock up on V. cheep beer, cheese and salami

You are the type of people that (as a transfer driver and scheduler) make my blood boil. Normally I will have other clients to pick up later in the day and thus do not have the extra 30 mins (can be more 1 hour once last season) spare for you to shop. If you want to shop on a transfer inform the provider beforehand and pay for the waiting time so that we can adjust our planning accordingly.

This is the reason that I do not stop for "toilet breaks' anywhere near a supermarket or restaurant. If a client requests a quick shopping trip and I have time I will stop for 30 mins, if I can't then I have to refuse the request

You have booked a transfer from A to B not a vehicle for the entire day.

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but it is my ABSOLUTE pet hate.

The end

Andy

I can understand that mate, several times we requested to stop and would of been happy to pay for the extra time as it would be negligible compared to having to buy everything in resort but we got refused twice so next time we all needed a pee.

Maybe if lots of people do it its something you could consider offering from the start as part of your service, sure you would get alot of takers, then nobodies taking advantage and everyones happy!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Come to think of it guys las winter the pound to the euro was about 1 to 1.1 and 2 years ago it was 1 to 1 now it is 1 to 1.24 so French beer (and Austrian, Italian etc) is actually getting cheaper.

Andy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Linux is different

Same I think (might vary based on distro/UI). Although this k/b is not a UK one, so has € on the 5 key and £ is Shift-AltGr-4 and the universal currency symbol ¤ is AltGr-4 just to confuse matters.

Back to beer prices...
nobody has mentioned Scandinavia. Or the fact that they used to charge more for a bottle of Thonon water in the PdS, than the beer, and the water came out of the ground for free at the bottom of the mountain you're skiing on!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AltGr-4 on my Linux (Lubuntu currently)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for being so kind to my rant guys. we have thought about offering some type of shopping service but it just does not seem to work out. also if you are paying for us to stop it kind of negates the saving of shopping down the Valley.

Some supermarkets in France will do your shop and then you collect it onroute.

Failing that there is usually a service offered by apartment management companies to get the essentials in before you arrive.

Andy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Sherpa super markets allow you to order online and collect from the store which is handy.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dont forget to add in that your PINT in the Alps is probably 0.88 of a pint.... so even more expensive!
ski holidays
feef, our local Sherpa will also deliver.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

Plus an inch of froth and you're looking at about £15 / pint Shocked
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Dont forget to add in that your PINT in the Alps is probably 0.88 of a pint.... so even more expensive!

very true, but 0.88 of a pint in the mountains with the white stuff all around is worth more than a pint when not in the mountains in my book.
ski holidays
Guys, you are going to France to ski, not to drink. Couple pints at apres even overpriced in your opinion or in comparison to your home prices never made anyone who can afford a ski holiday broke. And drinking more beer in France is an abberation. And for those saying that they are useless with wine - wine is an acquired taste, drink it more often and your taste buds develop to appreciate it:)
latest report
medlington wrote:

I can understand that mate, several times we requested to stop and would of been happy to pay for the extra time as it would be negligible compared to having to buy everything in resort but we got refused twice so next time we all needed a pee.

Maybe if lots of people do it its something you could consider offering from the start as part of your service, sure you would get alot of takers, then nobodies taking advantage and everyones happy!

It's not about paying for the time, it's about keeping multiple buses on multiple schedules. If every bus takes 30 minutes longer than it's scheduled, then it's not long before the whole lot is out of whack. If you're waiting at the other end for it to arrive and it was an hour late, would you think to yourself "ah well, someone's been shopping like we do" or would you be pissed off?

never summer wrote:
wine is an acquired taste, drink it more often and your taste buds develop to appreciate it:)

Or buy decent wine in the first place. Starting off cheap isn't going to help that process
latest report
Quote:

£100 per ski day.

So £600 for a week. I feed myself (really quite well) for pretty much a whole season on that. WTF are you doing, champagne cocktails every night? Laughing
snow report
never summer wrote:
Guys, you are going to France to ski, not to drink.

Actually I'm going for a ski holiday, so as with any other holiday I'm probably going to enjoy a few beers.

And if skiing in Austria (or Italy) is just as good, as by all accounts it is, why not go where the beers (and other incidentals) are a bit cheaper?

Personally I shall continue trying to ski in as many places as possible...
snow conditions
Lizzard, buying drinks for lots of ladies maybe? Laughing

Bound to spend more per day on a holiday than on living somewhere I guess, but £100 a day is definitely more than I spend.
ski holidays
Well if this is a big factor, then sure, ski in Austia and Italy. If you prefer to ski in France, then suck it up and pay French prices or switch to wine.
latest report
Depends what the £100 is getting you. I usually go catered chalet, so it's only lunch & evening beers when we go out (not every night). Usually averages out to £50 a day, given one or two nights will be somewhat extended, and perhaps 2 blow-out lunches. Also presuming I manage to stay out of the shops, which I never do....
snow report
Quote:

Or buy decent wine in the first place.

For which France is quite famous for...Smile
snow report
£600 per week is fully self catered, so breakfast, lunch dinner, drinks here there and everywhere and don't foget a travel day at each end of the holiday. So it's more like 8 days worth. Really doesn't go far in France, unless I actually bother to eat in! and I bloody well won't, not when there's a bar to be in somewhere.

By the way, and for the record, I'm a first lift up, 30 minutes at lunch, ski till end of light, wee wee it up on the mountain, ski down in the dark and wee wee it up even more, every day/night type. Twisted Evil Beer does not compromise my skiing nor viceversa.
ski holidays
I didn't put 'wee wee' in the last submission I put something that rhymes with hiss !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Beer does not compromise my skiing

Yeah right. rolling eyes
ski holidays
I find i ski much better and more dangerously out of control and far too fast, if i neck 10 pints at lunchtime.

Coat on leaves room
ski holidays
But play your cards right and it might give him beer googles. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
I find i ski much better and more dangerously out of control and far too fast, if i neck 10 pints at lunchtime.

Coat on leaves room

I find that when driving, busting for a pee.
latest report
Thats the trouble with drinking 10 pints then driving, it makes you want a weeeeeeeeeee
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:
Thats the trouble with drinking 10 pints then driving, it makes you want a weeeeeeeeeee

Exactly, that's why I stick to Jaeger Tee. Coat please...
snow report
stanton
Quote:
Why drink?
Why eat? Toofy Grin
latest report
http://www.pintprice.com/
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Beer does not compromise my skiing

Yeah right. rolling eyes

Well, 1 beer probably won't. But it doesn't sound like he's talking about just 1 beer...
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, it's quite alarming how little alcohol it takes to have a significant adverse effect on the performance of even very simple tasks, let along skiing in the dark. (This random piece of information courtesy of an undergrad psychology practical session which involved drinking a shot of vodka during lesson time. V popular. Laughing )
snow conditions
Bear in mind, too, that you need less alcohol to suffer the effects at altitude.
latest report
feef, especially if you are dehydrated from skiing as well.

I would still expect to easily ski safely down the mountain after only 1 casual pint of typical watery bar-on-the-mountain lager though (and have done so numerous times). I would not trust myself after much more than that, in the same way that I wouldn't drive after that much either. I suspect many people are far more irresponsible though. Actually one of the reasons for not drinking more is so that I still have my wits about me to deal with the people who have had a skinful...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy