Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French beer prices

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9644097/Francois-Hollande-pushes-for-160pc-rise-in-beer-taxes.html

Only another 20pc on the price of a pint!!

Shan't be changing my preferences for Austria and Switzerland in the near term!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So after having spent thousands on equipment, clothing and lessons, and deciding to spend several hundred quid on a holiday, you're decisions are influenced by having to spend out maybe £10 more on only one or two weeks in a year? (~40p more per drink, 5 drinks a night, 5 nights)

It's nothing when you look at it in context.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plus, French beer is actually a very good reason for visiting France Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
feef, My personal preference is for Austria or the Südtirol. And with a price differential of about €2 now (yes, I accept that it depends on where you drink) then 5 drinks pr night x 5 nights makes a differential of around £50
When trying to ski cheaply so a to afford a second trip, it is not the most expensive purchase, but not insignificant
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feef wrote:
So after having spent thousands on equipment, clothing and lessons, and deciding to spend several Thousand quid on a holiday, you're decisions are influenced by having to spend out maybe £10 more on only one or two weeks in a year? (~40p more per drink, 5 drinks a night, 5 nights)

It's nothing when you look at it in context.

Totally agree, just amended the cost to suit. I amazes me how much people moan about the cost of food and drink on a ski holiday. Its expensive, but so are every other aspect of skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnHSmith wrote:
feef, My personal preference is for Austria or the Südtirol. And with a price differential of about €2 now (yes, I accept that it depends on where you drink) then 5 drinks pr night x 5 nights makes a differential of around £50
When trying to ski cheaply so a to afford a second trip, it is not the most expensive purchase, but not insignificant

€2 difference? If you can afford to spend €10 a drink (on the basis that €2 increase is 20% of €10) then you've even less excuse to be complaining about a few pence difference! Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JohnHSmith, Agree. It is generally cheaper to drink (and eat) in Austria.
Would not stop me from visiting French resorts from time to time. I just adjust and spend less (or go out less).

feef, He meant 2£ difference on one beer. In Austria/Italy generally 4Euros vs 6Euros in France. (although you can find cheaper options, Mottaret tarrace bar next to the gondolas had 0.5L for 4E last winter).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnHSmith, if you have 5 large beers a night when trying to ski cheaply, how many do you have when pushing the boat out?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom W wrote:
JohnHSmith, Agree. It is generally cheaper to drink (and eat) in Austria.
Would not stop me from visiting French resorts from time to time. I just adjust and spend less (or go out less).

feef, He meant 2£ difference on one beer. In Austria/Italy generally 4Euros vs 6Euros in France. (although you can find cheaper options, Mottaret tarrace bar next to the gondolas had 0.5L for 4E last winter).

Ah okay... that makes more sense Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman, French beer sucks, surely their wine is a better reason to visit than their beer? wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mmm Pint of red wine might be cheaper Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jubnut wrote:
Specialman, French beer sucks, surely their wine is a better reason to visit than their beer? wink

I'm quite partial to a nice bottle of Pelforth (Brune over Blonde)...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jubnut wrote:

All the more beer for us then Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
countryman, It's not just the price of beer, it's also the other costs particularly in French ski resorts that will out-price some great ski resorts.
Price of 330ml (small) bottle of water, 5 Euros in Tignes les Brevieres. Plate of chips in 3V's 8 Euros, a dozen escargots in Meribel 22 Euros, Notwithstanding a rather average meal for two in the Edelweiss retaurant in Le Fornet 70 Euros.

No wonder the Fench think the English "small beer" in comparison to the influx of Russian Oligarchs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
but how does it compare, not just the absolute price. And again, in the context of equipment, instruction, clothing and the overall cost of the trip, does it really contribute to a significant proportion of the overall cost of skiing?
ski holidays
I am going to Reberty for New Year, self catering. Cost for family of four, including flights, apartment,transfers, parking, 3 valley passes for 2 adults, local passes for 2 kids, ski hire, ski lessons for kids in morning £4000.00 or so assuming 1.25 Euro rate. How many beers do I need to drink to make a big difference?
latest report
Same with exchange rates. People doing amateur currency trading and watching the markets to try to get an extra €0.01 to the £1.
For £500 holiday money, how many extra/fewer beers in Tignes is that? Makes sense for those of us that are expats or chalet owners transferring £1000's in 1 go, but for holiday money on a trip already costing 4 figures per person?
snow report
Even if I drank 5 a day at 6 Euros, its only £150, £200 if they are 8 Euros. Quite frankly now I have added it up I would pay that right now for a beer Evil or Very Mad
snow report
When you work these things out, the difference in the real world generall is very small..

it's true, tho, that when you get these small differences all adding up it does make a difference, but looking at them in isolation is a futile, but depressing exercise
latest report
skimastaaah wrote:
countryman, It's not just the price of beer, it's also the other costs particularly in French ski resorts that will out-price some great ski resorts.
Price of 330ml (small) bottle of water, 5 Euros in Tignes les Brevieres. Plate of chips in 3V's 8 Euros, a dozen escargots in Meribel 22 Euros, Notwithstanding a rather average meal for two in the Edelweiss retaurant in Le Fornet 70 Euros.

No wonder the Fench think the English "small beer" in comparison to the influx of Russian Oligarchs.

Then you need to ski somewhere other than 3V. I don't pay anywhere near those prices.
snow report
As I always tell people, Club 18-30 will do you a week in Ibiza for ~260 b&b including flights - if drinking is what you're interested in thats a much better bet than a ski resort!

Having said that, I do like a couple of beers after a long day on the slopes... and I realise the above example doesn't exactly translate! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Small things over a period of time will add up to make a difference.
I can ski now for 700-800£ per week while a few years back I could easily spend over a 1000£, as we went out more, used to stop a few times in a mountain huts buying rounds of soft drinks, beer and snacks etc we often did not even finish.
Nowadays I look more where I spend my coins.
12E can buy you 3 pints in most places in Austria, not even 2 in some in France. Saying this we've been fine in 3V last year, plenty of places with lovely Plateau Du Jour for 10-12E so no complains. Thinking of it now maybe they all have been in Les Menuires rather than Courchevel wink
snow conditions
feef, I understand what you're saying about the expense of all the things you mention accommodation, kit, lessons etc... but these costs are usually very similar (on the whole) regardless of where you go - especially if booking with a tour operator.

I know that I'll spend at least £2-300 more while in resort for a week if I go to France (drinks and lunch mainly) than if I go to Italy or Austria (for 3 of us). At £300 it adds about 10% to the total cost of the trip for us. It certainly doesn't stop me going to France, but it does become a consideration when choosing where to go.
ski holidays
blahblahblah, pick up a crate of beers or two in the Supermarché before you go up there. Way cheaper and you probably get a refund on the empties and crate when you come down again.

No-one forces anyone to pay inflated prices, there are plenty of places around where you can get good value, even in the 3 Valleys FFS! You just have to look harder than in Austria or Italy Laughing
snow report
Wow, I am shocked at how much people are paying for beer. In the Abrevoir in Arc 1600 it is 3 euro IIRC and much less than that in the shop 50m away. Mind you the shop doesn't provide live music or comfortable seats. However, the beer is Belgian rubbish and I couldn't manage more than 2 or 3 in a night. I must be getting old.
snow report
johnE, I am always shocked too, particularly as I almost always ski in France, and never pay that. It's far too gassy to drink more than a pint or so anyway. France is a wine-producing nation, I can buy a damn nice bottle in a supermarket for around 4€ (we even had some nice stuff from the local wine merchant for about 2.50 this summer).
latest report
FYI, I live and work in London, zone 2. Beer is over £4, £5 in The City. Vodka tonic around £7-8, glass of half decent wine around the same. When im skiing I'll be drinking in a ski resort 1800m high, and possibly overlooking some of the greatest views on earth. Placing all this in context, including the fact that I'm on holiday and therefore not inclined to worry about a € here and there, it's not that bad.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 31-10-12 14:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Dr John, Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, couple of years ago in courchevel 1850, bar Le jump, 3 pints cost €21. 1 bottle of perfectly passable wine in same place cost €15. Guess what we were drinking
ski holidays
Beer is expensive in France regardless of whether you're in a ski resort. Last month in Lyon I paid from 4.5 - 8€ for 0.5L.
ski holidays
If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Simple.
latest report
Best solution pretend the Euro:£ is 2:1. You have a much better holiday.
snow conditions
blahblahblah wrote:
Even if I drank 5 a day at 6 Euros, its only £150, £200 if they are 8 Euros. Quite frankly now I have added it up I would pay that right now for a beer Evil or Very Mad

Times that by 2-3 trips a season, then your looking at £450-£600, which is enough to pay for another holiday!
latest report
The other thing is that pints (half-litres) are often an expensive way to drink beer in France. That's what tourists order, not locals. You'll often save a euro or so per "pint" if you buy pitchers instead of single glasses. 6€ is still an expensive pint round here too, most places closer to 5€.
snow report
Kelv1n wrote:
blahblahblah wrote:

Times that by 2-3 trips a season, then your looking at £450-£600, which is enough to pay for another holiday!

Well a boys weekend trip maybe.

And who ever heard of going skiing and not having any beer?
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
FYI, I live and work in London, zone 2. Beer is over £4, £5 in The City. Vodka tonic around £7-8, glass of half decent wine around the same. When im skiing I'll be drinking in a ski resort 1800m high, and possibly overlooking some of the greatest views on earth. Placing all this in context, including the fact that I'm on holiday and therefore not inclined to worry about a € here and there, it's not that bad.

This is the most sensible comment on the whole thread.
ski holidays
Stick to Happy Hour or drink less!

I only drink beer when I'm skiing, it's part of the holiday and a few Euros more are neither here nor there.
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
Dr John wrote:

This is the most sensible comment on the whole thread.

Picture the scene: it's Sunday afternoon. zammo says to Mrs. zammo "I'm bored. Let's go for a pint and a burger or sommet." Cue Mr. and Mrs. z wander over Putney bridge and down the Lower Richmond Road to the Half Moon, a hostelry famed for its live music and recently done up by the Youngs-funded chaps at Geronimo Inns. In we go. Boozer sympathetically revamped, lively, nice crowd. Yours truly requests two pints of Peroni. bar person pours lager into those tall thin Peroni glasses and I hand over a tenner. Change received: £0.00

So that's £5 a pint, in SW15, in a boozer. For Italian lager.

If it costs me a bit more for a pint in the mountains, I'm still a pretty happy chap.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, My point Mr Bells is that it's not just the comparative cost of a single consumable, in this case a beer, but also the [i] cumulative[i] effects of many aspects of a good ski holiday.

One example is driving through France Calais to EK, 600 odd miles, 110 Euros tolls each way!!
Driving to Austria from Calais, 620 miles to Lech, NO Euros for tolls.

No doubt there is great/world-class skiing in France, but the essence of this thread is an analysis of the relative cost of a beer. My addition is that the cumulative effects of many aspects of a French ski holiday now make that a more expensive trip/option. For beer drinker and tea-totals alike. Guess I'm just stalled by over-busy over-priced French resorts.

Cheers. (Drinks Moscow Mule/Bloody Mary)
snow report
zammo, But did you keep the glass? Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy