Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inside Out "Holiday Tuneup" vs lessons in resort?

Poster: A snowHead
finestgreen, have you decided which resort you are going to yet? What I'm driving at is do you know which ski school or instructor you might go to in resort? If you know who you might go to, a snowHead may well have useful prior knowledge to impart. If you only know which resort then someone might have an opinion on which ski school to use or not to use. However, the problem nonetheless is that often when you book ski school in resort you won't know who you'll get, so you won't know how experienced or competent the teacher they provide might be. Nice thing about Inside Out is that they are a known quantity. The high quality of the two guys who run it is without question, as attested to by many on this site. If you talk to them about where you are and what you're after and I'm sure they'll be able to tell you what they offer that'll best fit your goals and expectations.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers all. Booked in with IO now, and hopefully with that discount I should be able to save up enough for a few lessons on holiday too Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
finestgreen, great!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
finestgreen, come back and tell us how it went Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did the Holiday Tuneup today - definitely the right choice.

The quality of tuition and feedback was miles better than any of the three sets of group lessons I've had on holiday, and the "fridge" environment seems much better for this than the mountain - a much more concentrated experience. Would recommend!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
finestgreen, really glad you enjoyed the session. Nice to see you, and everyone else, make big changes as the day went on Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
finestgreen, video or it never happened Smile Good to hear more positive experiences, they got me yesterday as you've seen on the other thread - agreed about value for money at normal price, with the intro offer it is unbelievable value. Like you, I considered what I'd need in resort, and realised that to get the same kind of coaching would have meant a private instructor at my beck and call for the day, which would cost about £200 minimum.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I could upload some video if Rob doesn't mind (as the copyright obviously still belongs to him!). It's not particularly entertaining though - I don't fall over or anything Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
finestgreen wrote:
I could upload some video if Rob doesn't mind
No problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
finestgreen, go for it - I think it is good to see other people skiing on these things, one concern I had when signing up was that everyone else on the thing would be some uber-race-god that skiied 190cm skis that trained every weekday morning at 6am at Hemel and had the fitness of Jessica Ennis. Obviously that is not the case - everyone was just a friendly human being intermediate skiier and had the same kind of issues that I did. But it might help the less confident to put their name down for something like it if they can see your skiing is (like mine) not that of a world class downhill champion etc. Unless it is. In which case we need video to prove it Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium wrote:
one concern I had when signing up was that everyone else on the thing would be some uber-race-god that skiied 190cm skis that trained every weekday morning at 6am at Hemel and had the fitness of Jessica Ennis.
I always have that concern as well wink However, you're absolutely right to say that...
Monium wrote:
Obviously that is not the case - everyone was just a friendly human being intermediate skiier and had the same kind of issues that I did.

If anyone is concerned that they might not be at the right level, we have a series of videos of some of our clients at the levels we provide coaching for so you can see where you fit in. One of my great pleasures of teaching for Inside Out is that without exception our clients are friendly, enjoy skiing, enjoy learning and enjoy the company of the people they they often ski with on an Inside Out course.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
If anyone is concerned that they might not be at the right level, we have a series of videos of some of our clients at the levels we provide coaching..

...and I should point out that some of those clips are from absolutely ages ago and are nothing like some people may ski now. No sireee. Absolutely not Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy, Laughing Unfortunately we don't have a level for Ski Goddess so we're unable to use clips of your current skiing. Sorry 'bout that, an all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

without exception our clients are friendly

Not sure about that. I tend to get quite unfriendly when Scott insists I try skiing backwards.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, but that does, at least, give you an opportunity to develop a "them and us" esprit de corp with your fellow class mates wink
snow report
rob@rar, unfortunately everyone else seems to relish skiing backwards. Can't see the point of it myself...
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
cathy, Laughing Unfortunately we don't have a level for Ski Goddess so we're unable to use clips of your current skiing. Sorry 'bout that, an all.

Laughing Indeed. Apology accepted wink

Pedantica , I'm with you on skiing backwards! If God had intended us to ski backwards he'd have given us eyes in the back of our heads. And flat feet
snow report
but skiing backwards is FUN snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Here you go then - this is me!

Hemel "Holiday Tuneup" from Jason Williams
https://vimeo.com/57023604

EDIT: oh, meant to say, obviously I've already had great feedback on this but if anybody wants to practice their video analysis skills I won't be at all offended by a discussion of my faults Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 9-01-13 10:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
finestgreen, Excellent stuff, I suspect at some point you were told 'make a positive pole plant' LOL I see me and pole plants in your videos!!

I like the short turns within a set width. I've done a similar exercise with an instructor in Les Arcs. I didn't have a marked avenue, but we found a short quiet red section just below one of the main Arc 1800 lifts (Rob will probably guess where) and I was asked to hold the poles out on the back of my hands and make turns just like those almost stopping each time. You will find the exercise and the technique is really beneficial if you encounter a really scraped off slope and need to use that tiny ribbon of decent snow that might be at the edges to get down safely on. I had actually asked my instructor for something to help in the atrocious conditions we had that week and that was what he gave me. I spent that week dancing on ice and have never regretted what I learned in that lesson, def. keep that exercise in mind as a take-away skill as I am sure you will find it useful.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 9-01-13 10:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
finestgreen, good work on putting the clips up for all to look at. Nice to see the changes you made from the start of the day to the end.

Megamum, we did some pole plant drills during the day, to help with timing and movement.
ski holidays
Hi Rob/skimottaret - if I could round up say 3 other willing victims would you be interesting in starting a group weekend 'holiday tuneup' clinic 26th/27th Jan now your Jan 20th one is full? With the discount I'm very tempted but your next available dates are now AFTER my holiday....

aj xx
snow report
a.j., sorry, would love to help but both of us fly to Japan on the 26th of January and the earliest we could run a bespoke Holiday Tune-Up would be on 9 February.
latest report
finestgreen, you are braver than I am! I have yet to post any vidz of my skiing (actually, I have yet to look at the footage from Saturday).
I quite enjoyed watching someone else avoiding small children and I think I spotted a variation on the "James Bond" drill in there. Looking good!
snow conditions
little ms spock wrote:
... I think I spotted a variation on the "James Bond" drill in there.
Indeed you did Happy
latest report
Ah of course - wondered why there was a gap! Nevermind, will try and retain in my sieve of a memory for next year....or convince hubby we should come for the march holiday instead NehNeh
ski holidays
rob@rar, I've booked for the Holiday Tune-up on 19th February, looking forward to making a knob of myself with those 007 pivot slips* - do you supply the Walther PPK?.

* not that it doesn't look a good exercise - just that I can see me making a hash of it.
latest report
agw, Laughing See you then!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
agw, Laughing See you then!
Yes - thanks for the cracking snowHeads discount btw.
snow conditions
Had a great day on the 19th, well worth the money (esp with the SH discount!) and the travelling time from the other side of London.

There were only two of us on the course so plenty of individual attention from Rob. No James Bond drills but lots on precision and control and carving the turn from the beginning. As most of you will know, acheiving precision and control at low speed really does test you.
Quite a bit of one-legged skiing - just as I was getting the hang of it Rob said (with an evil grin) "There's no exercise that can't be made more difficult by taking away the poles" and I had to do it without them.

It was busy at times (local half term) but that was an occasional minor irritation rather than a big problem.

Now I've been to Hemel and MK before and free skiing is pretty boring there.
On Tuesday we skied from 10 am to 4 pm with breaks for coffee and lunch - and because we were always being challenged it was interesting and fun.
The video feedback is definitely eye-opening and then encouraging when you see improvements.

So my message to other snowHead who might think they have nothing to learn in a fridge is give it a go - with the quality coaching that Inside Out offer you will be challenged and you will learn and improve.
I'll definitely be looking into their other products, including the ones abroad.
ski holidays
agw, nice review. I've done loads of days with IO at Hemel. Currently I'm banned from skiing following a foot operation last year, but i'm champing at ther bit to get back. With luck the surgeon will give me the all clear when I see him in May, then i can get some Hemel days in with IO before hitting the slopes next season.
ski holidays
agw, glad you enjoyed the day Happy

Spud9, hope the foot recovery is going well. You have my sympathy as I'm seeing a foot surgeon often at the moment and he keeps sticking big needles into the middle of my feet.
ski holidays
Spud9, rob@rar, Commiserations to you both about the feet. Sad

Spud9, Hope to do some more IO Hemel days with you in the not too distant future Smile
snow report
Iski, rob@rar, Hi. thanks for the commiserations. Look forward to seeing you both again before too long.

I tried to put my ski boots on last week. Couldn't even get my bad foot half way in befored the pain became too great. I suspect that, even when I get the go ahead to ski again from the surgeon, I might have to visit CEM to get the boot refitted.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy