Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dissertation SMdB done. Operation Ski China Thesis commence.

Poster: A snowHead
gdizzle, congratulations on your degree! Very Happy
The son of a friend of mine has experience of ski tourism in China. On facebook, if you want to get in touch with him: https://www.facebook.com/rorchard?fref=ts
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow, thesis on a proposed new resort followed by a job encouraging the wealthy folks of the eastern seaboard to visit it with me and let me be their wonderful western ski instructor with newly acquired language skills. All I'd need then would be a restaurant on the mountain that served good grub and replaced baijiu with génépi.

Pedantica, thank you so much!

What will the 'rents think if this actually goes ahead....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gdizzle wrote:
Yes, my friends don't seem to have clocked the idea that a dissertation is an excuse to not do proper work, some of them are actively pursuing grim options such as "sewage channels in Dundee" and "housing tenure in Glasgow".

Word up. I spent 6 months enjoying beach and boat parties in Hong Kong while all my pals were in the UK. Scraped a D1 for my thesis, but still got a 2:1

#YOLO

Edit: Just read the whole thread and saw you got a degree out of this - good job. I'dd be interested in hearing more about your findings in the Chinese ski tourism industry; my pal in Beijing had a rather unique skiing experience at one of the local hills.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fergus, well done with that thesis in HK, a bit of creativity can go along way in academia. I'd be keen to do a thesis based in HK, it would require me to get some form of internship out there to afford accommodation and an enjoyable lifestyle.*

I'm not sure if the Chinese ski industry is actually going to end up being the basis of my thesis but I'm going to explore the idea. Dropped the SEgroup (http://segroup.com/) an email about Ping Tian hopefully hear back from them at some stage. Seems to have been a complete failure from what I gather which is a shame. Some of the ski hills near Beijing look like an absolute farce, worse than the nonsense we get in Scotland.

*If there are any snowHead out there who fancy hiring an intelligent, driven and interesting chap who also shares a love of skiing feel free to get in touch. I am willing to be paid with accommodation and alcohol.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gdizzle wrote:
Dropped the SEgroup (http://segroup.com/) an email about Ping Tian hopefully hear back from them at some stage. Seems to have been a complete failure from what I gather which is a shame.

Absolutely.

Has the terrain and snow, unlike most of the Chinese and Korean ski resorts.

Unfortunately it's in the turbulent northern autonomous region of Xinjiang.

I was in discussion with the development team back in 2007.

The mountain 'architects' and infrastructure team were headhunted from Vail Inc.

http://pingtianresorts.com/

http://www.cherrypow.com/blog/chinas-ping-tian-resort-delayed-again/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fascinating.

In 1993 I travelled overland on local buses up the Karakoram highway from Pakistan across the Khunjerab pass ( at 16,500 ft ) into the Xinjiang province. The Han Chinese basically occupy the country - the locals are Uighars and speak a form of Turkish. Also they are Muslims and basically oppressed - there are riots and locals killed just about every year from what I read - it reached a peak with the Olympics in Beijing.

Incredible country , bordered by Russia, Mongolia, Pakistan , Afgahnistan and loads of other 'stans.

Anyway having read the blurb about needing to get all ducks in a row to construct the ski resort , Chinese govt keen to preserve the wilderness beauty etc I do not believe a word of it - I just cannot see them wanting to open up this area to tourists. When we were there - as independent tourists travelling about with the locals - the Chinese made it very clear that we were not welcome, spied on us and tried to restrict our movements.

Having said that Kashgar has the largest bazaar in Asia and it is an incredible sight. The mountains and deserts are spectacular and in some ways life does not seem much different to the middle ages.

If you get a chance to go , do.

Sorry to wander off topic so much !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, yeah I saw those websites as well, it's clearly completely ground to a halt. The SE group email doesn't appear to have gone through despite numerous attempts at dispatching it, maybe the utter failure of Ping Tian has resulted in them bombing as well.

alltnaha, if the government really wanted to move people away from the area forcible relocations are completely feasible. Was it 15 million people they relocated for the three gorges dam? Completely different kettle of fish but they can certainly move mountains if they need to.

I'm completely craving mountains right now, air pollution is kicking off in Ningbo right now as it's winter, it's incredibly unpleasant being outside. The pollution is visible, give me fresh alpine air please!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fascinating stuff. Maybe change the thread title at this point, gdizzle? Others might be more interested to read about China than about St Martin de Belleville (lovely as that is.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buggar, I was just going to say I know someone at St. Martin, then I looked at the date on the thread. Very Happy

Congrats on the degree.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
emwmarine, not bad to know more people out there! My parents are currently spending a couple of months a year there so always nice to have the possibility of meeting new folks. I'm going to be there for the end of January to mid february. Praying for good snow and to get away from the currently "hazardous" air quality in Ningbo http(://aqicn.org/city/ningbo/)

Pedantica, changing the title sounds very wise and it'll be nice to say au revoir to SMdB and a possible ni hao to some new part of China. (eurgh, where's the vomit smiley face for naff comments?)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gdizzle, this is genius!! I am currently doing a MSc in Mindfulness as a pilot project for a PhD. The Doctorate is going to be about stratgies to reduce burnout in busy people- with the extreme sports brigade featuring heavily- perhaps the chairlifts would be as good a place as any to conduct interviews??! Interview people in their chilled out zone rather than their corporate stress zone, or compare & contrast. How was the project received by the ethics committees?! Too funny- and I can't believe that prospect hadn't occurred to me till now- lol! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Humpfknick, I'm delighted to hear I've given you some inspiration!

The only major issues with ethical approval involved a back and forth between myself and bi lingual friends to ensure the participation information sheets were acceptable for French speakers as well as English ones. If I was on a chair I'd just strike up conversations about why people were in SMdB and if they had anything to do with the town I tried to go in for the kill and line up a 'formal' interview with forms to be signed etc to appease the ethics committee. I hope your PhD research is as enjoyable as my diss!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice one. Really looking forward to seeing this thread unfold. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cool! I'd be basically looking at skiing as a personal mindfulness practice- and whether the individual regards it as such or not Happy Maybe I just won't tell the ethics committee about the bar stool interviews lol Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Isn't the apres part and parcel of the chilling out process for many people on a ski holiday (correct interpretation of personal mindfulness?)? How boozing on holiday for pleasure is different from boozing at work to escape stress? To steal a line from Tim Minchin I do feel slightly like a sniper using dangly bits for ammunition at the moment.
snow conditions
Snowheads replaced boll***s with "dangley bits". bless em
ski holidays
proceeds to check what snowhead converts other words to

Be Nice please!
poo-poo
dick
fumble
latest report
I am well aware I'm having a conversation with myself at the moment but surely this merits a topic of its own?

lady's front bottom

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 4-12-13 15:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I'm now getting moderately embarassed by my immaturity and am going to edit my previous posts....
snow report
OH MY GOD I had this exact conversation with myself on my style dilemma thread, lol!! It changed Arde to "back bottom", how embarassing!! Hahahahah Happy
snow report
Only this morning. great minds, gdizzle, great minds wink

back bottom Happy
snow conditions
OMG!! Some SPOOFER told me if you use a capital it won't change it. Maybe it has to be mid-sentence back bottom.

Let's do a dissertation on censorship in the ski community.
ski holidays
Nope, it defo recognises Ar5e, capital letters or not. Can I say "I can't be arsed"?!
ski holidays
YAAY!! Broke the censor robot Happy
ski holidays
Anyway, yes, I am also very interested in the alcohol sub-culture in snowsports. is it peer-pressure, and where does it mostly come from- self or others? Does personality type play a part in how an individual experiences a ski trip? I would certainly not consider anything involving drugs or alcohol to be involved in any form of mindfulness- the whole point is that the person is consciously present in the moment. (I'm wondering if people were liberated from the compulsion to binge-drink for a week, would that enhance their experience from a stress reduction perspective- IFFF that's what they want).

Also still want to write rude words- how very unmindful of me. Diddies. Can I say testicles? BWWWESTS. Shag.
snow report
Oooh, they all passed. So ar5s, bo11ocks, and whatever word you used for lady bits are all banned. Mostly quite inoffensive words really...?!
ski holidays
Oh FFS now I'm also having a conversation with myself. Spot the students, lol wink
ski holidays
gdizzle, Humpfknick, loving your work. (Spot the retiree with nothing better to do than giggle at student silliness.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lady's bottom was a very bad word indeed.

I assume replace letters for numbers works as well.

b0ll0cks
snow report
Humpfknick wrote:
Nope, it defo recognises Ar5e, capital letters or not. Can I say "I can't be arsed"?!

Yeah, its so easily avoided one wonders why it exists at all. And no, capitalisation has no effect on whether you can say arse or not.
snow conditions
It's nice they try. I remember joining the forum as a wee lad of 17. I'm not sure how I'd have coped if I'd seen proper swear words up on the internet. May have put me off skiing and internetting all in one go.
ski holidays
OMG Serriadh, HOW DID YOU DO IT???!! Well jel. What other bad words can you say? wink
snow conditions
Pedantica, glad to be of service, lol! Although I feeel i should mention that IO am also a grown-up with a real job (which I am dodging as we speak), but i do like to indulge my inner very bold student every now and then! (Well, all the time). gdizzle, did the very bad word start with C?

Oooh, and can I say cock?!!! Like as in a MALE CHICKEN, you filthmongers....
ski holidays
OMG yes i can say cock. Nice one, cockface Happy
ski holidays
I hesitate to experiment... there are moderators after all. Also, I sense topic drift wink

Top marks for cockface, though Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 4-12-13 16:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Humpfknick, no comment. Embarassed
snow report
Ok. Very true. Sorry everyone, sorry mods, sorry Snowheads of a delicate nature.

I might add though, re: topic, i had suggested this as a further research dissertation- is that sufficient to bring it back on topic?! I agree though, discussing the faces of male chickens WAS off topic. This is not a farmyard forum.

Duly noted wink
ski holidays
This is a serious academic forum that
Is looking into the possibility of a masters
Thesis revolving around ski tourism in China.
latest report
Quote:

I am currently doing a MSc in Mindfulness as a pilot project for a PhD. The Doctorate is going to be about stratgies to reduce burnout in busy people- with the extreme sports brigade featuring heavily

Very interesting. I've been to a lecture on mindfulness and in my limited oppinion I think snowboarding really is a form of mindfulness.
snow report
I agree kat.ryb. I'm looking at how doctors generally have no problem prescribing mindfulness to their patients, but will say they don't have time for it themselves. Then they'll go kite surfing/bungee jumping/heli-skiing for a weekend, and risk life and limb to get some headspace. It's REALLY interesting when you get stuck into it Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy