Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti di Brenta, 2012/13, – Madonna di Campiglio, Folgarida, Marilleva, Pinzolo

Poster: A snowHead
5 day weather forecast for the area
See Here

Note this is a new website I'm making so it may not work all the time (I'm not very good at all the codes Madeye-Smiley )

30/10/12

There have been flurries for a while now but these have tended to be shortlived.
But Very Happy
We have just seen the first major snowfall of the season with snowploughs being used to clear the town center and access roads for the first time since April earlier this year.

The pistes are well covered even though they don’t open for a few weeks.

And the sun has come out again (but it's still V cold)

Same as last season, I try and do regular updates throughout the season.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-11-12 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, great photos. Looking forward to your updates.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowHead I'll be there mid January - let's hope this is the start of a great season.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Miserable weather right now.
Whilst it is snowing (lots), it's not you archetypal ski brochure weather wink
But hey the season start in a couple of weeks, so at least there by something to start the season on.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, thanks for the updates. Out with your company for half term so will keep looking at this thread. Quick question, what will the new Pancugolo chair do for the resort?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi stevew, I don't know if it will make a big difference as it is just another lift.

Ok that sounds a little negative (not meant to), but we have LOTS of lifts so this just another. But by adding this new facility they have been able to open up another bit of the mountains to on-piste skiers that used to be only accessible for the off-piste brigade.

To see the new lift check out this link (at the top of run 40 & 41)
http://www.funiviecampiglio.it/images/mappe/pl-5laghi.html

Main map
http://www.folgarida.co.uk/pages/folgarida_skiing_piste_map.html
Note that the new lift is still shown as a dotted line on this map

To find the new lift.
Those staying in the Hotel Alpina - come out of you hotel and turn right (up the hill) for around 20m then turn right down the lane to the Hotel St Raphael.
Those staying in the Hotel St Raphael, come out of the hotel and go across the car park then over the small wooden bridge and on the to the main road. Look to your left and you will the Cinque Laghi (5 lakes) cable car. Go up that.
At the top you come out onto a cafe terrace (wonderful views from here BTW). Come out ski down Blue 1 then red 42 (under the 4 man chair) steering left towards the new lift.

Note for those staying in Folgarida.
There is no access back to Folgarida from the Cinque Laghi cable car. You need to ski back down to Madonna and take the Pradalago cable car. At the top of the Pradalago ski down towards the other café (you’ll see it about 200m down the slope) then steer leftwards towards the 4 man chair (on your left). From the top of that take the Blue (go right) off the top of the chair and follow the signs for Folgarida.
PS. on this blue get some speed up or you'll have to walk ??
When you come to the main red run, go down about 300m then turn left towards Folgairda
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, thanks for that Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The slopes open for the winter next Monday (3/12/12)

Yipeee Toofy Grin

This is area known as Bambi in Folgarida. It's where the beginners go on the very first day of their ski life

As you can see, not very nice today, but hey it's got to come down (and it is - big style)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How's it looking tonight Wayne. Looks like it's snowing again!?

Do you guys run the ski kindergarten park in Folgarida? I have a 3.5 year old looking for a hour or so pottering about on some skis to see if she likes it yet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ishay,
Yes we are the school that runs that - in fact I've been in there most of this week with my class of 3 and 4 year old Italians.
Send me a PM with your contact details and I'll give you a call to discuss.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well it’s the start of another year and (as always) the snow is good here at this time of year.
All the pistes are open and the off-piste it’s coming along nicely.
We had another 20cm the day before yesterday (just enough to bring the UK to a halt) and this gave us some fine New Year play areas.

Madonna di Campiglio
The whole area is well covered, all the way down the pistes back to the town. The Groste area is especially good “normally” but I was up there today with a class and the wind was horrendous, although apparently it has calmed down now. The 5 largi area is the best at the moment for some off piste trips due to being on the un-sunny side of the valley during Jan.

Folgarida/Marrileva
Again everything is looking good and moguls are now nice a bumpy (and getting bigger) under the Mastelina chair – those who have been on my intro-to-bumps days will remember this area (with fondness). The only bit of bad news is that due to the high winds today and yester the run through the forest from Marilleva back to the bottom of the Mastelina piste is (to put it politely) a right pig at the moment due to all the fallen twigs, so we are waiting for another dump to cover this all up.

Pinzolo
The runs down the town are all open and fine although they do get a bit crowded at the end of the day. It’s even now possible to ski down to the mid section of the Madonna/Pinzolo link and then take the cable car back up again

BAD news. Confused Crying or Very sad
The lift company, in its infinite wisdom has now completed the creation of the upper sections of the black run above the mid station in Folgarida (so it's now got enough drop to able to run FIS races on - had to be to do with cash, didn’t it). This “used” to be a brilliant area of off piste moguls – it is now just another piste. Oh well there always the drop off the top Orso Bruno to keep us interested. Still.... come on... yet another piste (it was more fun before). And what is better, a few million Euros into the local economy, or me having a good day ? Answers obvious, ain't it wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, was it you i spoke to on the phone a couple of days ago? you called me back after half an hour when you walked to the ski school to ask about my 3 year old having lessons
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne wrote:
BAD news. Confused Crying or Very sad
The lift company, in its infinite wisdom has now completed the creation of the upper sections of the black run above the mid station in Folgarida (so it's now got enough drop to able to run FIS races on - had to be to do with cash, didn’t it). This “used” to be a brilliant area of off piste moguls – it is now just another piste.

Noooooo! Even I, who am rubbish at bumps, loved that bit!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne, what is the position with off-piste, I'd read somewhere that it was banned in Madonna
snow conditions
ishay wrote:
Wayne, was it you i spoke to on the phone a couple of days ago? you called me back after half an hour when you walked to the ski school to ask about my 3 year old having lessons

Yep - I (we) are now the official UK agency for the Folgarida ski school.
On-line secure booking coming soon on a .co.uk site. Our contact details are already on the ski school's site though.

This means that even if you're not (for some strange reason) not booking a holiday with us, you can now book ski/board/telemark/etc lesson through us.

Any questions just send me a PM with your contact details and I'll call you back (not this sunday though as off to Verona for a night out)

PS. 3 year olds are no problem; I have a class full of em (all Italians who laughed at my ascent) all last week.
snow conditions
Accent, unless. You were on a ladder......
snow conditions
ooops

It’s OK though as I have a valid excuse being that I have well documented medical condition, known as stupidity Toofy Grin
latest report
Lovely on-piste conditions right now, with warm sunshine, feeling more like March.

Highlight of day one being the red down to mid-station of the Dos.... gondola on Folg-Mari side. Great run and v quiet this pm.
snow report
Temps edging down a tad, sun still beaming down, pistes still mostly in great condition, some refresher snow wld be nice, cld be a dusting on Friday.

Plenty of people about, but in MdC nobody can be bothered starting much before 10. Virgin corduroy for the early starters.

Enough of that...what about lunch? Highly recommend Rif Viviani at top of Pradalago. Wonderful fresh pasta (pumpkin, salted meats and cabbage, seeing as you ask, yum-yum), house white and super scenery...
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino...

Quote:
The Refugio Orti. Warm welcome, roaring log fireplace, tasty food and inexpensive. Because the place is halfway down a black run with a seriously steep early section (you can watch people slide down from the terrace if you so desire), it doesn’t seem to get too packed. One can take the lift there from Marilleva and ski off via a blue if so desired. Far better to ski from the top of Dos de la Pesa and reward yourself after that steep section!

If you happen to heading Marilleva way, you've gotta try the place out...best goulasch I have ever tasted Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Temps will/should drop through the week then some fresh at the weekend.

see here

http://www.brentaski.com/pages/holiday_weather_forecast.html
latest report
Chasseur, thanks, may well drop in....

Any recs for lunch in Pinzolo area? Headed there tomorrow.
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino, if you do go, dropping in is a distinct possibility... Laughing

Sorry, Pinzolo wasn't open as an area from Madonna when I was last there a couple of years ago. I'm sure Wayne could step in - one of his people recommended me to Refugio Orti.
snow conditions
Heading out to Canazei on the 19th with 3 others. First time in the Dolomites so really looking forward to it. Will pop some updates on here when I get a chance. Hoping we get a bit of local snow in Bristol this weekend, fingers crossed Smile
ski holidays
Chasseur, sorry to disappoint but slid into lunch dock w barely a ripple...and witnessed no carnage either; snow in good nick.

Pinzolo - 3 tips. 1 - ski the Tulot black - what a piste, long rollercoaster w some nice real steep pitches and sharp Senna curves, right up there w the best there is. 2 - as a reward for managing #1 - lunch at Pra Rodont whilst it ain't no beauty there is v good pizza and super self-service section which delivered the most delicious rabbit 'al forno' i have ever nibbled and all weighing in at e14 incl wine and side-dish....3 - calimero or bombardino at Malga Cioca rustic bar. A v v nice ski area that makes MdC that much more attractive.
snow conditions
Dear SnowHead friends!

We're looking around for a place to go on middle of March. That said, we yesterday, begin to focus on Campiglio and Cortina region.

We're 3 intermediate skiers, looking for a medium difficult terrain, long runs and some challenge, for sure!

Since we know nothing about this region, I would like to ask your help !

The plan is: to fly Milan and rent a car and drive up to the mountains. Despite we're going to madona or Cortina we'll do a short trip to another spot, at least to sightseeing around.

So, information's like: Is Mach good? Hotels/apartments, best place to stay, lifft & rentals fares, road conditions and so on.

All information is very welcomed

Think snow
snow report
edu-rio - If flying into Milan then you will have a long journey to Madonna and an even longer one to Cortina.

have a look at the thread below for alternative ski resorts closer to Milan

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82993
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jimmy,

Thanks!

You're right. Looks like a long journey. But drive is not a concern for us. I'm used to drive 1000 Km/day. Even more when on good (Europe)roads.
Last time, we drive straight from Paris to Stubai !!! For sure the last 200Km was very difficult and tiring by night time at the mountains.

We're coming from Brasil and I don't know if we'll find a flight to Milan, indeed. The common is to find Paris, Rome, Frankfurt.
Yes, far far way than Milan!!! Sad

Madonna and Cortina, in fact are old wishes and we are finding good fares for lift and accommodation.

One of my major concern is about the snow condition on late March at this region.

Regards!
latest report
Wayne, Will be staying at the Hotel Ariston in Piazza Brenta Alta first week of March. Can you recommend a nearby ski hire shop where we can pre-book our skkiis ? Also do you know if we can leave skis and boots near the lifts overnight and what the charge for doing so is ?

Regards
Richard
snow report
Following the big drop of snow for 3 days last week the depth all across the area has increased.
BUT (more importantly) as it also been very cold the powder is still there – and fluffy. As its lows season there are loads of opportunity to make fresh tracks.
And it’s been sunny for the last few days so....... powder and sunshine. Basically it’s just like you see in the ski brochures.

Hi richardball
Yep - one of mates owns a hire shop quite near your hotel. Send me a PM and I will pass on the contact details
snow report
edu_rio, We have skied in Madonna the first week of April on a free lift pass paid for by the hotel Diana! (but one of the lift areas was closed for the week). The conditions were very good until late afternoon when it was very slushy. But Madonna has a glacier and very good grooming so there will always be some snow, more reliable than Cortina I would think. Have you looked at flying to Venice (2 1/2hrs) or Verona (about the same)?
snow conditions
Just back from a week in Folgaria working with a school group. Good snow conditions throughout the week helped by an early fall of snow on Monday 28th, and then 4 days of solid sunshine. Temps got pretty high, around 7 degrees in Folgaria Fondo Grande, but the snow stayed in pretty good nick throughout, if a little hard early in the morning and soft by 3pm or so.

Was very snowy and windy at the weekend - serious gusts casuing drifts, and i imagine blowing a hell of a lot of snow off the tops by sunday afternoon.

Its a good little resort - the village of Folgaria is nice with enough bars and shops and things to keep a group occupied, but you will need to get a bus or a car to get to the slopes and lifts. The bases of Fondo Piccollo and Fondo Grande are brilliantly positioned for the skiing, but hiring a coach is upwards of €200 to get a group larger than 15 down the hill to the village and back for the evening. A taxi for 4 people was €20, and although the skibus is free and runs intermittently throughout the day you can't get on it with a large group.

Punto sport in Fondo Grande is great ski hire shop, and the Calkera izza place does decent food. Everything in the whole resort was CHEAP, i was paying €1.70 for a cappucino at the top of the hill and about €3.50 for a beer, not bad at all.

the skiing - a good number of runs, about 100km in all they say, but some are pretty short, so there is a lot of lift riding. the best runs are down to serrada from the top right of the resort and down to fiorentini on the left. Grooming was excellent, and the entire area is cannon covered so there should alwasy be some sort of cover.
latest report
dorsetboy, looks like you are talking about Folgaria, rather than Folgarida - different resort!
ski holidays
tessaventer,

Yep, talking about Folgaria - its in the Brenta Dolomites, and theres nothing on the place whatsoever anywhere else - seemed like the right thread to post in.
ski holidays
The last few weeks have been a continuous sequence of “some heavy snow” followed by “some bright sunny days”.

Not really what else to say other than with plenty of fresh stuff and sunny skies it looked like a ski brochure.

BUT

This is all about to change. Unusually the Italian Met office has issued a weather warning for early this week. Heavy (lots and lots) of snow is forecast.

So, if you’re heading out this way, pack your woollies and your fats.
snow report
The forecast was right. At least 60cm in the town (MUCH more where the wind has moved it).
Not been up the slopes yet but . . . . . . . Very Happy

Just watched a bit of the local TV and the entire Northern area of Italy has seen very heavy snowfall.
latest report
Happy roll on Sunday! Cool
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Happy roll on Sunday! Cool

Ditto ..... Can't find the whoop smileycon
latest report
Good news about the snowfall Very Happy

I'm heading out there on 9th March, haven't skied the area since my second week skiing and have always meant to go back there sometime.

Will be good to go back years later snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy