Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2012-13

Poster: A snowHead
Wow, that sounds like a Culinary itinerary we should put in place Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Did more retail therapy for myself today (online) got myself a patagonia insulated powder bowl jacket, and yet another set of thermals, also patagonia, merion wool and PINK!!!!

all 50%, and purchased in the U.S., so in dollar... Anything in $$$ is already discounted in my book. Madeye-Smiley

Not sure wether the jacket is also Christmas for me, or for Easter - heading to Engelberg and may need it for off piste..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After 10 years skiing here finally skied Nendaz today. Blushes.
It was like going on holiday somewhere else. Super pistes and amazing views, just goes to show there's always somewhere new in the 4V.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Sparks,

Have you done the itinerary that puts you back in La Tzoumaz? We thought that was fantastic! Heart was beating fast on those skinny tracks and their accompanying fatal drop offs...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HeidiAmsterdam, I think you mean the Vallon d'arbi, which is wonderful in summer and winter. Some very nice lines to be had in all directions
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Sparks,

Yep, that's what I mean, should have looked at the piste map before I typed Embarassed ... will be looking discover other lines in that Valley over Christmas
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Sparks wrote:
After 10 years skiing here finally skied Nendaz today. Blushes.
It was like going on holiday somewhere else. Super pistes and amazing views, just goes to show there's always somewhere new in the 4V.

Smile

You skied Veysonnaz?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Sparks, err. I've never got past playing around under the Plan du Fou cable car Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swissie, as part of my week of discovery and exploration we went to Veysonnaz the day after and had a wonderful lunch at Les Caboulis, one of the hidden gems of the 4V. Great skiing and again stuning views of the Rhône valley.

Today however we kept closer to home skiing some stunning fresh snow in the Verbier sector. Visibility came and went but it was super to be getting some fresh tracks again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Sparks, Isn't Les Caboulis great? The trouble is it's very near to where we live and after a 'few' we think we can just hop over the slope home.....I had an interesting one last week when I planted my poles between my skis...hey ho! Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from long weekend.
Conditions still great - Fresh powder Verbier friday, and Nendaz Sunday.
Base quite icy in places, and by the end of the day, all the chopped up fresh mixed with boilerplate makes for some interesting moments!
Nendaz link still open - only lower reaches of the road and the bottom of the main piste treacherous. Snowline only about 20 metres below though, so not sure how much longer it will hold up.
Snowcannons anyone?? - Bloody larches Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds great Martin - we're on the 6pm out of Edinburgh on Friday night - getting excited!

That said for sheer fun it will do well to better Glenshee on Friday afternoon!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wonderful conditions on and off today.

About 20-25cm of freshies.....silky smooth on piste, powdery pleasures off.

More snow still falling.

Shame the lad has got mumps! Just spent an hour at the Doc getting three blood tests and eating some lemon (really!).
He did have his MMR as a kiddie....blood test results will take a few days and then require a second test....but the Doc seemed fairly sure that it is mumps.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp, Poor soul, I hope he gets better soon. I am sure he's in good hands.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Even more snow....beautiful blue sky and pleasantly cold.

PURRRRRFECT!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My grandpa lives in a Chalet in nearby Saclentse (Short drive to Nendaz/Siviez) so we're driving over on Sunday and skiing Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday ,hoping for good snow and visibility as looked a the webcams yesterday and it looked really quite foggy which isn't as fun for me!
snow report
j4ck100, but often it clears up for a few hours in the day... enjoy! I wish my Grandpa lived close by such a place! I'd be there nearly every weekend in the winter I think!
latest report
j4ck100, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Have a good time.
snow report
Spent the weekend with a couple buddies in Verbier just this weekend, sorry for not posting sooner. We went off the back side of Mt. Fort on Saturday in the sun, my first time back there. Didn't help my confidence much to watch a guy right in front of me botch his first turn off the start and high side way down onto some rocks - he survived, but wasn't in any shape to ski after they dragged him back up. We skiied the first couloir, snow was skiied but very good. Then we climbed up the "montee cheminee" and then up the arete there to a spectacular untracked double bowl. Then we stayed as high and left as we could before going over the ridge at a wooden cross and then skiing all the way down past the higher lake to Sviez. A few tracks along the way, but mostly we were making our own lines through the 20 or so cms of new stuff. Gotta say, I didn't like the look of the slopes above us but the guide was unconcerned. Or maybe just French. The afternoon we did the terrifying traverse off the Plan du Fou, and found more fresh tracks there.

Sunday there were moments of clarity in the morning, but also thick clouds and zero viz from time to time, so we stayed in bounds and (mostly) on piste in the bumps, which had 10 or so cm of fresh on top of a hard crust. We had a great time and crowds were minimal to non-existent.

Looks like it's been dumping in the 4V since we left.

Question for the Snowheads: I have found the off piste in Verbier to be spectacular and massive (of course) but the lovely Ms. Genevirginian is still not ready to leave the piste. She's a confirmed lover of the blue and red, though the occasional well-covered not-too-bumpy black is not out of the question. Our experience at Verbier trying to stay on piste (two weeks ago) was a bit tough. The pistes were crowded, and because they're steep there were quite a few folks who were out of control. (One French lady caught an edge about 20 meters above me when I was stopped, turned abruptly down the fall line, then face-planted into my skis, causing herself some painful and bloody injuries.) My spouse said that she had decided that Verbier's not for her after this, she prefers more open terrain like Flaine or Flegere.

Question then is: should we give up on 4V as a couple and just go to the GM or Cham, or is there more intermediate-friendly terrain in the area that's worth the extra 30 mins drive to Verbier?

Bon Ski,

GV
ski holidays
I'm not mad about verbier for that exact reason - on piste skiing with my kids i am always massively nervous there, just down to the volume of out of control skiiers. Once you are away from the motorway runs it tends not to be too bad, and of course you have nendaz, vessonyaz etc all within easy enough reach. If you are based in verbs only, i'd send your mrs up savolayers instead of the medran..
latest report
Genevirginian,

What is it like off the back side of Mt. Fort? Looked intimidating...
latest report
Quote:

Question then is: should we give up on 4V as a couple and just go to the GM or Cham, or is there more intermediate-friendly terrain in the area that's worth the extra 30 mins drive to Verbier?

There is good intermediate terrain in the vicinity of Veysonnaz and Thyon but, in general, the 4V is a bad choice for anyone not skiing off piste. The shape of the mountain is also not conducive to fast transit from one valley to the next and there is a lot of tedious uplift/cat tracks involved in moving about. Obviously, if you are just using the lifts to get over to Eteygeon and the surrounding bowls and then back again then it is worth the effort - if not then it is pretty rubbish.

Quote:

What is it like off the back side of Mt. Fort? Looked intimidating...

The main routes are steepish (35 degrees at the top) but are within the grasp of a good black run skier who has experience of soft snow. By that I don't mean "I tailgun black runs", I mean "can actually ski in control". Once you are through the initial (wide) couloirs the main route to the the dam is not difficult.

Other routes are straight out of the advanced manual - SW face is not technically difficult but is prone to melt freeze and is above cliffs. It can be used either to head towards the main backside descent or towards the ski track in the direction of the Rosablanche or Fionnay. The N face is hard to access and steep.
latest report
As a mostly on-piste skier I actually feel a lot safer in Verbier then I do in Flaine or the 3V.
The Verbier skiers do seem to be faster....but they are deinately better skiers (on average)....so faster...but in control.

I've never felt more at risk from my fellow skiers than I did a couple of years ago when it was all polished and icy in Meribel!

Genevirginian there is tons of off-the-piste type stuff to do in Verbier too....you do not have to go Back-Side or extreme off pisting.
Take your wife there again....go to Savoleyeres, do a 4V excursion.

But you obviously live in Geneva....so go to all those other spots too!
I love Flaine, Val D'espair, I'm not really that fussed about 3V (though I go every year for a few days to see a very good friend there)....there are so many smaller spots too....and on a powder day those are the ones to know about.
snow report
pam w wrote:
j4ck100, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Have a good time.

Thanks, nice little forum here Smile
latest report
More snow overnight....more sun.

Off piste was creamy, fluffy....delightful!

Another PURRRRFECT day!
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
More snow overnight....more sun.

Off piste was creamy, fluffy....delightful!

Another PURRRRFECT day!

I was.. dont know the resort that well but found plenty of untracked stuff even late on in the day that was easy to access.
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
As a mostly on-piste skier I actually feel a lot safer in Verbier then I do in Flaine or the 3V.
The Verbier skiers do seem to be faster....but they are deinately better skiers (on average)....so faster...but in control.

I've actually noticed that too. Far fewer near misses than normal...
Hmm, except for the chap who tried to join us on the chairlift up to Tortin..at the midstation. Got a serious bollocking for the liftie and made to walk the last 100m to the gondola/cable car.
snow report
Bit warmer today, which was actually just what was needed as we spent the morning sitting in the snow/rocks watching the Verbier eXtreme.

My goodness...they are skiers Jim, but not as we know it.
Quite incredible!
snow report
Funnily enough that's what we did too, fantastic stuff.
I don't know how they survived some of those tumbles.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today we did a full 4V excursion.

Great snow coverage over 100% of the whole area.
snow conditions
Veysonnaz hosted the Swiss Handicapped Downhill Skiing Comp over the weekend, its was very humbling, these people are a true inspiration, some had severe disabilities, many were blind, but the laughter and upbeat mood was amazing.....makes you think next time you have a moan about trivial things.
ski holidays
Swissie, that would explain the high number of sit-skis we saw.

My lad is Adaptavie L1 qualified and his sister is very keen to get to Adaptive L2, she has worked with profoundly autistic kids and is very keen to make a career in that world.

Piste report for today:
Don't know!
But I can tell you that the clouds are all enveloping and very thick....I'm not usually a fair-weather skier, but there is a limit!
latest report
rungsp,
Quote:

My lad is Adaptavie L1 qualified and his sister is very keen to get to Adaptive L2, she has worked with profoundly autistic kids and is very keen to make a career in that world.

Its good people like them that make such a difference, you must be proud.

I am swerving the skiing today too. I am at this very moment looking out of my window at the pisteurs helping some poor soul who's just had a prang.
ski holidays
I skied at Verbier yesterday. Pistes in good condition but off the sides was very hard work and not worth the effort.

The visibility wasn't great but was OK for the most part....until we hit the top of Mt Fort in the clouds. Perhaps not the easiest big mogul field to ski when I couldn't see a thing, and it made for an interesting backwards tumble and 50 metre slide head first down the slope Smile
snow conditions
Got back late last night from a great 3 day weekend in Verbier.

We didn't actually know the Freeride World Tour was on when we arranged it, and didn't see any of the action live, but the town was a lot of fun with runs showing on a big screen, lots of stalls, bars and exhibitions, and free ski testing, including lots of 2014 skis! (More on that in another thread)

Friday was a great day – warm and sunny, but great snow, and zero queues. None. Nada. Walked straight on to every single lift all day. Had a very good pizza at La Vache for lunch too, but with maybe too much wine – we had to ski pretty fast from there down to the paragliding spot where a friend was going out, and my reactions were definitely a little off... Embarassed

Saturday and Sunday weren't so good, with good snow disappearing fast – hard and crunchy on the easily accessible off-piste, and icier on piste up high, with much more slush on lower slopes. More people on the slopes too who kept taking out the skis I wanted to test NehNeh

Whitters, good effort tackling Mont Fort in that light, I chickened out! Though all the skis to play with helped in the decision...

Sore legs today, but 3 really fun days of skiing to show for it Smile

Oh, and a great band in the Farinet too helped make the weekend lots of fun!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-03-13 23:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
fixx, How are the prices at La Vache? Do you need to book?

I'm in Verbier for 9 days over Easter so might give it a go
latest report
I'd recommend booking - but think you only need to 2 or 3 days in advance. You can try walking in and if there are only a few of you they'd probably squeeze you in somewhere. There's a big terrace outside too offering crepes, but a very limited drinks menu.

Price wise it was fine - pizzas all around 20CHF, good size, and delicious. Other dishes were around the same, except for the goulash which was 12CHF, and recommended by a friend. The salads looked excellent as well. Definitely decent value for money, and compares very well to other places on the mountain. I think our wine was 45CHF, and was a very delicious young Valais white, yummy. Great views as well - saw a few people taking scary lines from the window, but skiing brilliantly - you could tell there were some serious freeriders in town...! I'd go back.
snow report
Mixture of clouds, sun, snowing, white out today

.....and that would be on each run!

Still a good day, pistes excellent, only slushy at the very bottom.
ski holidays
Thanks fixx, will give it a go, so long as James Blunt's greatest hits isn't on a perma-loop on the stereo.
ski holidays
Actually the music was really good - not at all James Blunt like. Some nice chilled dancy stuff, little bit of indie. We had to Shazaam a few songs! Loved this one:

http://youtube.com/v/mVWeqAPQUXc
snow report
fixx, Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy