Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Once so Eldorable - now completely Mercured

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Prompted by a request from Kuwait Ian on The-thread-that-must-not-be-named, I thought I should pass on the opinion of a whole load of jolly happy-go-lucky gaspersons who stayed in the Belle Plagne Mercure (formerly Eldorador) in January this year.
I’m afraid what was once a relaxed hotel with friendly staff that gave the place the feel more of a large chalet than a hotel has changed character radically. Our meeting organizers were driven to distraction and the Ski School was most unhappy. Guests were not allowed to come in the front door in ski boots – you had to go round the back – as did the ski school instructors: no more waiting for clients in the warmth of the hotel lobby, but forced to huddle for shelter by the back door. The genial atmosphere had gone. Dinner used to be generous – now it was almost stingy. As far as I could see, the management was trying to run the hotel as if it were in the middle of an ordinary town rather than right on the piste at 2000m and full of hungry skiers. I can no longer recommend this hotel as a place to stay in Belle Plagne.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonpim, am I right in thinking that they've got rid of the single rooms as well?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
By march, although I remember a notice to the effect of 'ski boots use the back door' I never did, or any of the many people I saw going in & out the front door !
I never visited in it's Eldorador incarnation so cannot compare before/after but the (twin bed) room was new & clean. Food bufet style but we ate out a lot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonpim wrote:
As far as I could see, the management was trying to run the hotel as if it were in the middle of an ordinary town rather than right on the piste at 2000m and full of hungry skiers.

I see your point but most French hotels in ski stations could do with being run like they were in Lyons or Paris instead of assuming since they're in a ski station any old rubbish will do Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair, yes they've gone. They knocked them back into north facing twins looking out onto a bank of snow with no balconies. Same price as all the other twins in most T.O. websites. The tiny 'cabins' were ideal for solos and had no supplements.

Jonpim thanks for the report. What a shame even the restaurant has gone downhill. What the hell is a ski-in ski-out property doing banning ski boots in the lobby especially when the ski store is just behind the reception area and all the carpets used to be the industrial type which could take it. Nuts. Sounds as though they relaxed the ruling later in the season.
They often used to have complimentary vin chaud in the lobby late afternoon - bet that's gone too.

lampbus, previously it was a superb seafood buffet on Fridays, a fondue night on Saturdays (changeover day - fondue worked well for late arrivals) and one other really good local specialities buffet mid week. The rest of the dinners were waiter served and excellent. I went there 4 times. Won't be going back now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ise said
Quote:

see your point but most French hotels in ski stations could do with being run like they were in Lyons or Paris instead of assuming since they're in a ski station any old rubbish will do

For real quality take a look at Oxalys In Val Thorens. I have a suspicion that they are close to gaining their Michelin star for the restaurant. Certainly last year the entire facility was of a very high standard.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a shame! We stayed there 2004 and have very fond memories of the restaurant. Their seafood buffet was to die for and their normal dinners were really good - certainly not stingy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cathy, that seafood many many miles away from the ocean was quite something, wasn't it. And bacon and eggs at brekkie time was pretty unusual too.
I think the previous ownership / management was actually Spanish - hence the un French name of the hotel. Great shame it is now part of a chain. Wonder how the Brit T.O. questionnaires are looking ? But if you didn't know it in it's previous incarnation maybe it's not so bad - just the same as so many other 'average' places. It still has a great location going for it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I recall running a news story about a British chalet operator banning ski boots in his properties, about 15 years ago.

Maybe they should carpet their ground floors with Dendix or Snowflex (a bit softer underfoot) so you can truly 'ski-in ski-out', perhaps via a revolving door.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Talking of banning boots: last january for the Belle Plagne Gasbash a group of us rented a 9-room appartment in the Balcons (a place I do recommend). Often these large apartments are used by Tour Companies as "chalets". The one next door to us was. The poor punters it would seem had to leave their shoes outside the apartment, because every evening there was this pile of shoes just outside the door. We were sorely tempted to hide them somewhere (but never did).
No shoes in the apartment? How silly is that?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, we had to leave our shoes at the door in les Arcs (but inside).
boredsurfin, the point about the Eldorador wasn't necessarily the quality, but it's friendliness, value for money, and decent food. No Michelin stars but enjoyable nevertheless. We ate there a few times but never stayed. It was a bargain for 2 adults and 2 kids, kids were charged half-price but got everything we got except for the cheese course. We even got offered the free vin chaud as we took a shortcut through reception one afternoon. A sad loss.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy