Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montana - Big Sky - Anyone tried it?

Poster: A snowHead
As per the subject. Just found out that a friend has purchased a lodge there and won't be using it in late Feb, which is when I usually do my annual pilgrimage to Niseko.

I figure if Big Sky is good and I can do it cheaper than Niseko then I may as well give it a try.

Cheers...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-10-12 9:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big White is in BC, Canada.

Big Mountain, now Whitefish Mountain Resort, is in Northern Montana.

Big Sky is in Southern Montana.

Which is it please?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry for the confusion.

It's Big Sky...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's where Marin Bell is based now http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73329
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think Big Sky is the resort where the slopes are really quiet for a lot of the season. You'll need to fly to a major hub airport and then get an internal flight to Bozeman. Big sky is about 45 minutes from Bozeman airport

http://www.bigskychamber.com/get-here.php
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great mountain, great skiing.

Some excellent steep terrain.

Moonlight Basin on the backside.

Bridger Bowl the other side of Bozeman.

Lost Trail a couple of hours away.

Jackson Hole around 4 hrs south.

Yellowstone about the same distance away.

If the lodging is free, then it will be much cheaper than Niseko.

How long you going for?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Put this way, I have 12 days that I can be away from Hong Kong for, so I'm guessing that means a maximum of 8-10 days skiing if I did Big Sky.

My annual Niseko routine is usually 6 days skiing, 8 nights drinking.

Happy

Anyway, don't know yet what the offer on the lodging will be. I doubt it will be free, but I'm sure it'll be at mates-rates.

It certainly sounds pretty good from what you guys are saying...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Biggest ski area in the states with only 2000 punters per day. Go figure. We spent an afternoon in mid Feb doing laps on one high speed quad with our kids, and no-one else was using the lift. At all. We found on-piste powder 48 hours after a snowfall and inexhaustible riches off piste. Lots of trees, steeps and powder but limited bumps as skier traffic was too low. Endless immaculate corduroy for piste blasting, too. Only problems are getting there and costs - very expensive lift passes and accommodation. Otherwise, blissful. But forget any ideas of nightlife. There isn't any.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spot on

Ranked 23rd in Ski magazine annual resort issue

http://www.skinet.com/ski/resorts/big-sky#

6th in terrain variety
7th in terrain challenge
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I've spoken to my friend who, while he hasn't determined exactly how he plans to rent the property out when he's not there himself, has assured me that I'll get mates' rates.

And apparently there's a lot of restaurants and a craft-brew pub nearby, which is right up my alley as far as nightlife goes. I am on the lighter shade of the 40s afterall.

Embarassed

Frankly, you guys make Big Sky sound like heaven on a stick, so if research shows it to make financial sense then I may need to shake the routine this season.

Thanks heaps...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
An idea of the terrain

http://youtube.com/v/QvtzysL2_wA

http://youtube.com/v/OGaypN084bA&feature=related

(forward to 3.30)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MP and JJ describe it well.

Good terrain.

But miles from anywhere.

A light flashes in town when it snows.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
those videos do point to Big Sky's only real downside. It's a rocky place, and needs plenty of snow, especially to cover the steeps. Happens on most years, but can take until well into January sometimes. It's one of my faves.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ordinary_Skiier, have a look over on epicski, they're having their gathering there with a massive thread on the place
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My cousin loved it so much she moved to Bozeman from San Francisco.... I really must go visit!
snow conditions
Big Sky is amazing and easy to get to from Bozeman.
Huge resort, with every type of terrain you can want for. Extreme steeps and chutes, very long cruisers and great lifts.
If you stay in Bozeman it is about an hour drive, maybe more in bad weather. The drive is beautiful but watch out for the huge trucks and the road can be dangerous.
We were there last March and it was perfect, never crowed. We skied Big Sky 2 days and 4 days at Bridger Bowl (amazing place). Bridger offers same level of terrain, but at half the price, half the people and half the attitude. Laid back easy going place, great people and variety. If you like side/backcountry, you'll love the ridge hike. to ski/ride the most difficult areas you are REQUIRED to have a transceiver, shovel and a companion. Schumann's area is not groomed and not patrolled very much. Well worth the effort. go to the website and check it out. Only problem is the lifts are slow, unlike Big Sky's high speed modern lifts.
February and March can get Extremely Cold (bone freezing).
We went Mid march and really were lucky with temps ranging from 20F-50F, the previous week was Minus 30F below zero.
ski holidays
was there two years ago , place is huge . stayed slopeside at the huntley lodge . fly into bozeman via atlanta , think these are on sundays , we had to fly via salt lake city , not sure from west coast hubs la san fran and seattle prob has daily flights . depends where you friends lodge is may need to catch shuttle bus to get up to mountain side .there are three areas to big sky itself
mountain , town centre and lower where golf course is all connected by free shuttle .
lift ticket around 90 dollars think big lift ticket with moonlight included worked out at 118 a day .
must do trips while your there is the snowmobiles into yellowstone , we went with two top out of west yellowstone .
also had a roadtrip over to south dakota and saw mt rushmore , crazy horse monument and back via devils tower and battle of little bighorn battlefield .
im more of a easy cruising skier , but even i was tempted by some of the off piste in big sky .
would love to go back Very Happy
snow conditions
was a 2 year old thread!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy