Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing back to base, ALWAYS

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I download when I feel like it and I ski down when I feel like it

+1. Anyone who even thinks it's worth debating whether downloading is some kind of shameful option is a dickhead, IM not at all H O.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pedantica wrote:
I'm obviously 'some kind of massive wimp' then. If the conditions are crap and there are a gazillion people on the slope, I'll download with pleasure. Definitely better than getting injured on the last run of the day. (I've done that too - twice.)

Agreed. For a while after my hubby's accident I downloaded to avoid sking that bit of piste which is almost unavoidable when I ski down to Monetier.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davkt, ....gosh that takes me back...last time I did the Valentin it was Christmas 2001, and L2A was green grass all the way to the town. Only the Valentin was open, and it was glass and boilerplate from top to bottom. They had a lot of packing around the pylons....trouble was, it was the only way back and virtually the only run open on that side of the hill on some days - the glacier was open some days but high winds closed it on occasion. The Valentin was carnage. Beginners falling at the top and sliding down on top of other stationary or slowly moving skiers. Ski brakes didn't work, and random skis were travelling, clatter clatter over the surface and covering a huge distance. Since the top entry to it is quite flat, beginners were accessing without realising that it got very steep very quickly, after the 'step' at the top of the hill.

Now, in CH, I head back with the kids either very early or very late, even with excellent conditions, I get very nervous for my kids when the Big Rush starts. They ski fast and tidily, which helps, since they are predictable in direction and move at the speed of the majority of traffic - bit like being easier to join a motorway doing 70 mph and being at the same speed as traffic on it, rather than moving at 40 and having a 30 mph differential. But it still feels crazy, due to the volumes on narrow, tree-lined pistes. So it's back to the bar for a hot chocolate at 3.30 or last run down in the twighlight at 5 or later.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It depends, frequently I'll avoid the blues as they tend to be full of bambi on ice or semi-drunks, if theres a red i'll take that if not too beaten up or download rather than risk injury.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2, Well given the conditions on the bottom end of the green track I day I did my calf (though did it near the top where it was OK) Valentin should have been the only run open back down to town! It was the second week of the Easter hols last year so only a couple of weeks before the end of the season but the skiing was great once you got up to Cretes, had a a big powder dump midweek that put a good couple of foot of snow down even in the town. Yep, it is still very easy for people to end up on it without realising and I did spot a few on there apparently frozen by fear. Still don't think Chloe has forgiven me for spoiling her first black!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've downridden a few bubbles in my time no doubt, but there's nothing quite like clipping out of the skis at the end of a great home run and taking two steps into Apres.

Ischgl, Klosters and Verbier all have top class home runs in that respect
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, I'm astonished that you have never skied back home in Flachau. I skied it every day we skied the home turf - it's well worth doing. It did get a bit churned up in the evening and even tended to mini soft moguls, but I thought it was good practice - it's a lovely wide run with plenty of space as you know. There was even a day when my skiing partner downloaded and just to prove a point I didn't and even went up and did it again with the kids LOL

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 27-10-12 19:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love the download, I find it provides a time for gentle meditation on the day past. I positively look forward to it. Am I weak?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I downloaded as a 1-week skier in Brevent-Flegere where the only option down was an icy black. Don't think I have done since? But I don't have anything against it if the conditions are gash, if it was stony and rubbish I would do it, just to save my skis...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just love skiing. Even poor skiing is more fun than not skiing. I even ski in domes. But yes, to save my skis I'd go down in the lift..... Except it has never happened, that I can recall. Perhaps I'm too optimistic. Instead I damage my skis skiing off-piste, and hitting hidden rocks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I download when I feel like it and I ski down when I feel like it

+1. Anyone who even thinks it's worth debating whether downloading is some kind of shameful option is a dickhead, IM not at all H O.

So I'm a dickhead for posting this topic? Cheers then. I hope that wasn't aimed at me.

It was merely an observation.

I have downloaded in the past rather than ski on mud and grass. When I say I subscribe to not downloading, I just generally like to end the day by skiing down if at all possible. After all, ski holidays are few and far between.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I go skiing to enjoy myself. If the last run down is horrible and I think I'll enjoy myself more on a lift then I'll take it (I know a lift may not be very enjoyable but its better than a broken leg!). In my youth, long ago, I could always be tempted into "one last run", but I am a bit wiser now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

So I'm a dickhead for posting this topic? Cheers then. I hope that wasn't aimed at me

Well, what you said in your OP was:

There seems to be some collective machismo with skiing that you are some kind of massive wimp if you download. FYI, I subscribe to this, and refuse to get the lift down

So yes, if you subscribe to the idea that "you are some kind of massive wimp if you download" then yes, 'fraid so, I do think you're a dickhead.

Of course, you may just be a perfectly sensible person who didn't express themselves very well on this occasion. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ha, brilliantly condescending, as ever.

FYI, the opening post was actually slightly tongue in cheek, but obviously you missed that.

Following your charming insult, I clarified my thoughts.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 28-10-12 9:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, There are two types of skis - rock skis and skis that haven't been mounted yet:) I can't remember who said it but it's very true...
ski holidays
'Ride of shame' indeed, hilarious. FFS boys, put your willies away. For the umpteenth time, NO-ONE'S INTERESTED. Laughing Laughing
snow report
Megamum wrote:
holidayloverxx, I'm astonished that you have never skied back home in Flachau. I skied it every day we skied the home turf - it's well worth doing. It did get a bit churned up in the evening and even tended to mini soft moguls, but I thought it was good practice - it's a l
ovely wide run with plenty of space as you know. There was even a day when my skiing partner downloaded and just to prove a point I didn't and even went up and did it again with the kids LOL

yebbut...you know that umbrella bar at the top of the achterjet....

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 28-10-12 15:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
In reality I've never heard taking a lift down referred to as a "walk of shame" but I haven't seen many people downloading either if there is enough snow and not just mud on a home run. Majority will be skiing down, but whether it's down to peer pressure, some sort of pride or just attempt to maximize time on two planks I don't know. We usually just meet at the bar on the home run especially on a sunny bluebird day to lounge on a terrace with a beer for an hour, so downloading is not an option from there. Definitely everyone would have enough skiing by then for a day but the run is relatively easy so it seems a natural route to take.
snow report
holidayloverxx, I know the one.............say no more!! wink
ski holidays
I don't think it is (just) a macho thing. The "rules" for selecting our ski chalet/hotel that I'm given by my wife and daughter is that they can "ski home". I think it is something to do with not wanting to carry the skis/poles and walk in boots if they can avoid it.
latest report
jamescollings, I am very keen on ski back to base locations for that reason too.
snow conditions
There are two different arguments here. In some places you have no choice but to take a bus or a gondola or even both, to get to and from the skiing. But the discussion here is about the choice of whether to get down on skis or by lift (where both are options) which may well make no difference to the amount of walking in ski boots you have to do.

Sitting after the lifts close in a mountain bar and enjoying a drink (or 16) wouldn't be allowed in the area where I ski, where local bye-laws ensure that piste patrollers chase stragglers down the mountain to ensure they're safe before the piste bashers get to work, and restaurants have to close accordingly.

By definition, of course, serious accidents always happen on the "last run of the day" even if that's at 0945 but those who choose to take the risk of a last inebriated blast down the mountain as dusk falls are not necessarily foolhardy idiots any more than those who decide not to are hopeless wimps.

The judgmental labels are unhelpful and adults should be mature enough to stand their ground and neither ski down, nor download, just because of concerns about what other people might think. If I was skiing with someone who tried to persuade me, despite my better judgement, to take a tricky home run when I was tired, and looking forward to a shower and a vin chaud, I'd tell them to get stuffed. And if a companion was tired, and a bit scared, I'd probably download with them and enjoy the views.
ski holidays
pam w, I think this is how it works in real life.
ski holidays
I certainly wouldn't feel it was wrong or wimpy to take the lift down. You should do what you'll enjoy most and if you feel you are tired and might injure yourself it sounds sensible to me to take the lift.
I've decided myself, when I've skied hard all day and am weary, not to catch the lift up, that last time just to do one more load of heavy off piste that is freezing up again. However, if I'm up there I can never resist skiing down. The lift down is such an anti-climax.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 28-10-12 23:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I don't think anybody in the thread has suggested they'd pressure other people into skiing down - only themselves. There's nothing wrong with the latter if that's how you enjoy yourself.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
But the discussion here is about the choice of whether to get down on skis or by lift (where both are options)

Hmm. You clearly have a different interpretation of the capitalised word in the thread title: ALWAYS
snow report
I'm often more scared/not fond of the lift download than the skiing options. Irrational but true. If I had to download on a chair, there is no chance on earth you would get me to do it - particularly not alone. Always fighting a slight fear of chairlifts at the best of times! Also not crazy on the perch/stand gondolas (boots far more comfortable to ski in than stand in!), but I'd happily download on a nice seated gondola and have done so (down to Courchevel le Praz when it was slushy higher up so I couldn't be bothered with more porridge). If the lift options had been less appealing or the lifts were really crowded I'd be far more tempted to ski.
latest report
I don't know about riding a lift down, but on the other hand I happily upload in the Cairn gondola to get back to the Oxalys if I don't end up above it (to be able to ski down to it) on the right side of valley at the end of the day LOL

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 28-10-12 21:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Randomsabreur, Quite right. Down-riding chairs over an open run is beyond the pale
ski holidays
Can you actually ride the chair down? I think I saw it saying something like that it's obligatory to get off and there is not place provided from where you can load on a chair.
latest report
Yep. Done it in summer, Deux Alpes when the Jandri Express was not well! Some of the detachables seem to have foot passenger loading options at the top as well.
latest report
I've taken a chair down at Valloire when all the runs down were shut.
ski holidays
never summer, some chairs you can ride down, some you can't. The bottom chair lift in Areches-Beaufort is often ridden down because the run down is difficult, and sometimes has poor snow. Anybody not entirely confident with a tricky red run would be well advised to ride down. There's also that chair down the Swiss Wall...... I've ridden that down, and been very glad I did.
snow report
Never mind taking the lift down I have arrived on more than one occasion at the Pre st Espirit lift in Les Arcs at the end of the day to see a huge queue (15 minutes) and decided to simply walk over the road and get the bus back to 1600. I am on holiday I will do whatever I fancy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy