Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Second pair of skis for my quiver.. cheap-ish and for piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads!

I currently have Salomon Twenty Twelve skis, but they're basically not that good on the piste.. at all... As soon as I get some serious speed piling it down a red, the edges start to slip out...

I'd like to get hold of a set of skis specifically for carving.

My question is this; what is a good length for an aggressive carving ski? And should I be looking at GS skis?

My details: Height 5'9", weight: 65kg/10st/145lbs, Ski style, pretty fast/aggressive and want to go everywhere, but looking to develop on-piste skills more- and already have good off-piste/park sticks.

Any pointers would be really helpful. Currenty have my eye on Kastle LX 82 and Fischer XTR. 170 seems by far most common length.. Is 170cm too long?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think 165 might be a better length if you are looking to develop skills, but 170 might work too. It depends. With 165 it will be easier to work the full length of a ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clong wrote:
As soon as I get some serious speed piling it down a red, the edges start to slip out...

Is 170cm too long?[/b]
I wouldn't have thought so if you want to do this at speed. Isn't 165 more a slalom length?
Not that I know much - I am an off piste skier and find my Missions do quite well on the piste. Many, many years since I bought racing skis.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 27-10-12 11:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clong, Please don't take this the wrong way, but I suspect it's more down to technique than the ski.

Can you explain more about how "the edges start to slip out"??

I don't think a new ski will fix this for you, a lesson or two would though IMHO

Alternately try a few skis if you can before buying...

A quick google shows some folk saying this about the 20 12:

"On groomers I found the skis to have solid edge control"

"have 80-percent edge contact when you tip it on edge for catch-free carving in hardpack"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Horses for courses:) Park skis are not enjoyable on groomers, although skiable.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clong, get some 165 sl skis & slow down a little bit will be good for technique! I would stay away from gs skis at 170 as they will be Jr ones.

Welcome...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clong wrote:
My details: Height 5'9", weight: 65kg/10st/145lbs, Ski style, pretty fast/aggressive and want to go everywhere, but looking to develop on-piste skills more- and already have good off-piste/park sticks.

you need my Vists, your leg would break before they left the tracks Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice guys,

Quote:

"have 80-percent edge contact when you tip it on edge for catch-free carving in hardpack"

That perfectly sums up my issues- because of the positive(?) camber on the skis, which is great for off piste, you have to really work the skis on their edges to get them to hold on the piste, much more so that one would do with a normal ski, and even that only gives you 80%! So of my 171's, i've only got 136 actually working for me!

so 165 looks to be a good length. Perhaps I do also need some lessons... What does SL stand for?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SL - Slalom
GS - Giant Slalom
DH - Downhill
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy