Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

KJUS Jackets

Poster: A snowHead
I had a Kjus jacket that I really liked, lovely cut & fit. Can't quite remember how much it cost but definitely sub-£500. It was a while ago! But I did get bored of it way before it had anything like full usage. But selling it on ebay got quite a lot of the cost back. Learned my lesson since then, really not worth spending too much on a jacket as I will just get bored with it after a few years...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're being a bit unfair to Kjus. Not all of their jackets are £1400. Some can be had for as little as £750.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimastaaah wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
skimastaaah, You really think so?

Spud, turning Japanese, he's turning Japanese, I really think so. snowHead

Laughing Apparantly i'm 'Big in Japan'... Laughing

Funny though...why is it the Japs like Phenix, Goldwin, Bognor and Spyder...or anything covered in replica sponseship?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy, My last jacket lasted 11 years and about 550 ski days.

You clearly get bored easily Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, yup! Toofy Grin Not as bad as some though wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have some Hestra gloves that have done 17 years...still going and don't smell. Comfy and warm.
They cost me £75 all those years ago... sometimes paying more pays.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spud, Washable liners?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
spud, Washable liners?

Actually no mate...just don't sweat. Unbelievable when when you think about it...they should be minging...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, this is a pointless debate since I already own the most amazing jacket in the world, and there's no way any of you could compete even if you did spend more than you would on a car.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spud, Lordy, I sweat like you wouldn't believe. Rarely can get a season out of a pair of gloves without some intervention.

However, my Hestras acquired Feb last year are fine and that reminds me to wash the liner pre-season!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, I saw that picture on FB the other day, I was speechless Shocked I certainly won't miss you at L2A at Easter!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard I salute you. It's neck and neck between that and the Irn Bru cycling top.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimastaaah, the comparison is still bogus, you can get a top of the range shell and fleece for much less than any of those jackets. The entire point of luxury brands is essentially to be able to wear them in order to emphasis that you are rich enough to afford them. You can very often get comparable or better stuff for much less money, the value is all in the exclusivity of the item due to the cost. Similarly semi-luxury brands with huge waiting lists.

At the end of the day though who cares what the next guy is wearing though, until of course he starts acting like the stereotypical knobber you expect. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never gotten into 'Shells' with fleeces...i've always got too hot. I don't often carry a bag...so instead wear a skins base layer... performance wicking 'T' shirt...long or short sleeve, and 'normal' jacket.

Whatever the weather it always seems to do the trick.

The only time it gets cold i add silk glove inners... then i'm toasty again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is not exactly true what you say about luxury brands. Maybe men wear them to emphasise that they are rich enough but women simply wear the best they can afford in their circumstances. There is a difference between an item that costs a 100 and one that costs a 1000 even if they are both made to serve the same purpose. Compare Louis Vuitton bag and a TopShop one, or a Zegna suit and the one from Zara. Sometimes they can even be made out of the material bought of the same manufacturer. But look at stitches, lining, zippers and other finidngs. Look at the fit. No detail is left out. There is a difference in how items are made. You are not paying just for the logo. Though of course you are paying for logos too because it costs real money to maintain the brand since it's intellectual property and protection is granted at a cost. But there is a quality behind it too. You can slap a logo on any rip-off but it will still be a rip-off and generally a person wearing it will feel the difference. Yes, you can buy 10 cheap ones for the price of one expensive item. But if you only need one and can afford it withot breaking bank?
snow report
never summer wrote:
This is not exactly true what you say about luxury brands. Maybe men wear them to emphasise that they are rich enough but women simply wear the best they can afford in their circumstances. There is a difference between an item that costs a 100 and one that costs a 1000 even if they are both made to serve the same purpose. Compare Louis Vuitton bag and a TopShop one, or a Zegna suit and the one from Zara. Sometimes they can even be made out of the material bought of the same manufacturer. But look at stitches, lining, zippers and other finidngs. Look at the fit. No detail is left out. There is a difference in how items are made. You are not paying just for the logo. Though of course you are paying for logos too because it costs real money to maintain the brand since it's intellectual property and protection is granted at a cost. But there is a quality behind it too. You can slap a logo on any rip-off but it will still be a rip-off and generally a person wearing it will feel the difference. Yes, you can buy 10 cheap ones for the price of one expensive item. But if you only need one and can afford it withot breaking bank?

Interesting..but not always true.

For example... a lot of well known manufacturers in the east, allow their workers to make the same named products in their own 'down' time from the off cuts, to sell in the markets. Made exactly the same way way...from the same materials..in the same factory, but sold in the market as 'real' but thought of as fake. This is so they can compliment their salary.
Lot's of 'fakes' now in the markets of the East are actually the same product as sold in the shops. Including ski gear.
I had relations who were in this game...so know from first hand.
ski holidays
meh wrote:
skimastaaah, the comparison is still bogus, you can get a top of the range shell and fleece for much less than any of those jackets. The entire point of luxury brands is essentially to be able to wear them in order to emphasis that you are rich enough to afford them. You can very often get comparable or better stuff for much less money, the value is all in the exclusivity of the item due to the cost. Similarly semi-luxury brands with huge waiting lists.

At the end of the day though who cares what the next guy is wearing though, until of course he starts acting like the stereotypical knobber you expect. Very Happy

Exactly the same as whatever car you happen to drive/afford!!

Quod errat desidoratum!!!!!!!!!!!! snowHead
snow conditions
spud, Its not jus tclothes and up market handbags, ................ I got a pair of skis........ yes skis that are exactly the same as a US West Coast boutique ski maker who just happens to have their skis manufactured in China. Cost to US ski buyers............... quite a lot!

The OEM even had the brand names plugged on their own website up untill earlier this year. Not a quantum leap to check specs, dims, and target skiers to work out exactly what they are. Even de-badged skis are on sale in the US for hundreds of dollars less than the same branded ones.

A couple of years back I even bought some BNIB Salomon "X3" skis............. the Jap/Asian equivalent of the Equipe 3V ............. with Salomon Z12's for less than 150 Euros. Bought out of Germany, via the ex-Eastern Bloc manufacturer....... CLUE............................ Chepelare.

Point is .................... if you see a brand name, don't be fooled!
snow conditions
I got a Kjus jacket at a mad price a few years ago, they hadn't sold at Harrods apparently so had been shipped to another store to sell off. I swear to this day whoever marked the prices up didn't realise what they were doing as it was cheaper than the North Face jackets which had just come into stock for the upcoming season. Didn't need another jacket but couldn't resist and as it was black felt I couldn't go too wrong.

Is it worth it? Yes for the price I paid, no for full price.

It is a great jacket and a superb fit. My favourite part is one of the inside pockets has a goggle wipe cloth which has a diagram of the jacket on it with a label for each pocket telling you what should go in each. Every time I see it it makes me smile, I still can't believe a manufacturer spends the money on doing that or that customers want it.

I like wearing my jacket and its seen quite a few trips now & is wearing well. I would never pay full or even half price though as I think there is better value in other manufacturers jackets.
ski holidays
SnowMac, But NOT NF!! The worst ever ski wear I've had in decades of skiing. Cheap, poor quality, more a fashion item than functional ski wear.
snow report
spud, If it's made on the same factory, on the same equipment, using same materials by the same workers it's technically stolen not faked:). I've been to China on business a few times and it's actually illegal to sell "fakes" there or anything carrying a logo belonging to someone else. You see lot of Prada etc. rip-offs, but all logos are removed because fines for the seller won't be very light. You can actually tell the "old" stock from new because on old stock there will be holes where logos used to be. Also customs in all countries know how to tell a fake one from the real one and importing is illegal. If you get stopped crossing the border with a fake bag, the bag will be confiscated and you will be fined for smuggling counterfeit goods.
snow report
never summer wrote:
spud, If it's made on the same factory, on the same equipment, using same materials by the same workers it's technically stolen not faked:). I've been to China on business a few times and it's actually illegal to sell "fakes" there or anything carrying a logo belonging to someone else. You see lot of Prada etc. rip-offs, but all logos are removed because fines for the seller won't be very light. You can actually tell the "old" stock from new because on old stock there will be holes where logos used to be. Also customs in all countries know how to tell a fake one from the real one and importing is illegal. If you get stopped crossing the border with a fake bag, the bag will be confiscated and you will be fined for smuggling counterfeit goods.

Technically illegal...but when has that ever stopped big western companies and East Asian manufacturers.
They do a deal with their employees aledgedly. The employees actually make more than the minimum wage by selling the 'fake ' goods on the open market. It's been going on for years.
snow conditions
never summer, you do have a slight point, I have an LV bag I bought as a treat to myself more than five years ago. I use it every single day and not one stitch has come loose.
snow conditions
It required me to save money for some Haglofs stuff I was eyeing/following reviews for a few years to slowly replace some 16 years old TNF equipment, so forget about some £1400 jacket ! For it to end up trashed on and off the piste and full of grease and oil from the lifts ???... masive wee wee taking.
ski holidays
I doubt they will let the use of name though. No logos. IP is a serious business globally these days and stricter laws are strongly lobbied by the same companies. Also there will an issue of quality control. No manufacturer's warranty etc. It can be OK, but it can also fall apart in two days. Of course at low price point the risk can seem unimportant, but do you want to keep going shopping for the same thing all the time?Smile
ski holidays
never summer wrote:
I doubt they will let the use of name though. No logos. IP is a serious business globally these days and stricter laws are strongly lobbied by the same companies. Also there will an issue of quality control. No manufacturer's warranty etc. It can be OK, but it can also fall apart in two days. Of course at low price point the risk can seem unimportant, but do you want to keep going shopping for the same thing all the time?Smile

Oh yes they do...a lot of fakes now for sale, are actually made in the same warehouses and are exactly the same material and made the same way. Exactly the same as supposed originals.
I've found this out quiet recently through business contacts.
Plastics and electrical products are the worst.
Get yourself a bar code reader...approach manufacturer...back door deal on already manufactured equipment.
How do you think many car parts are manufactured at a third of the price.
latest report
or, even more unfortunately, medicines !
latest report
If the company lets its name being stolen it assumes responsibilty for the quality, but it's not the case with fakes. That's why they are "fakes". My close friend is an IP laweyr in pharma so he knows these things rather well. Third of the price is due to labour costs which are many times lower in the East. And for public listed companies labour arbitrage is a common way to stay profitable so once something becomes mass-market jobs are moved East. Just look at Dyson.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As regards skiwear ......................... Chinese company gets order for 1 million garments.
Chinese company makes 1.25 million garments................... assuming between 5-10% are seconds or don't make it through QC.
Chinese company also makes extra 15% return by setting up OEM website selling of "Original Seconds".
Chinese employees make 50% extra earnings by selling factory bought over-runs.

Items sold are infact Original Equipment Manufacturer supplied items, not "fakes" as such.

And the beauty of all of this is that our Chinese cousins end up with the latest technology and manufacturing techniques to supply and undercut the original "names" without the add-on cost of deluxe/premium "designer" name.

Kjus........ 1400 Euros............. Cheap kit if you know where to buy it. wink
snow conditions
Spot on...

Example of what's about...

http://www.c2coffer.com/buy/21071793/wholesale-kjus-tune-ski-jacket-in-stock.html
ski holidays
I have worked with a few of the larger sportswear companies, and I can say with some confidence that when a delivery arrives from China you never really know what you are going to get. The box says 20 large t-shirts, but you actually get 10 small, 10 medium and 10 large. Most boxes are overfilled, but you're never quite sure what you are going to get. As they say, life if like a box of chocolates...
snow report
spud, Nice link, just goes to show that a top priced Kjus jacket can be bought for as little as £100/$150!!

Same goes for Moncler (some excellent OEMkit about), Peak Performance, The North Face, Arcteryx, Spyder, to name but a handfull.
snow report
Lizzard,

686 Snaggletooth. My kids wear them Very Happy

Nice and cheap off sierrasnowboard.com
ski holidays
The better half has been very pleased with her Kjus kit, being to warm is never a problem for her, but at last I have managed to get her into the laying concept and she's switched to Peak Perfomance as her preferred brand. Cheaper, but they have a MUCH broader range!

Any kit, anything for that matter, in resort is usually over priced. Take ski boots, most shops will rip you off with inflated prices. Having said that I can whole heartedly say that Sole boot shop in Chamonix doesn't fall into this category and its worth the trip to Cham alone.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy