Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere - YSE or Mark Warner?

Poster: A snowHead
I've stayed at Moris with MW before, which is perfectly functional but perhaps a little basic. I've heard good things about YSE so may well give them a go (Juniper, seems very good value), but though I'd canvas the opinion of SH's before pulling the trigger.

The floor is yours...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends how much of a good laugh you want to have!

I'm staying at the nicer MW hotel in December, then I'll have a week in the Moris next March. Great location, great ski hosting, excellent bar and good company.

However if you prefer nicer facilities, the YSE place might be a better choice. Do they do ski hosting? For me that's really important.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven chosen YSE Juniper over the MW Moris.

YSE don't provide hosting if that's important to you.

The Moris is a lot noisier than where Juniper is. The Moris the oldest hotel in Val d'isere and it's walls are very thin. The Moris Pub is also below the hotel and although the doormen try to keep the noise of it's customers under control it can get noisy.

I would also consider YSE's new hotel Les Chardons which is across the road from the Moris.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
context - two mates, up for a laugh but still skiing all day. Hosting not important. welshflyer, the noise from the pub is what's putting me off Moris, can be shocking if you're in the wrong room. last time in the Moris there were two large groups, noisy & rude. Obviously might not happen again but still. I get a good vibe off the YSE web-site, don't take themselves too seriously. YSE all the way I reckon.

edit - I looked at Les Chardons first but only twin rooms with shared toilet available (We're not savages, for heavens sake), and £100 more than Juniper.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ sounds like you've made your choice then. Yes, the Moris is very noisy and as ski hosting isn't an issue, go with the better accommodation!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
YSE. Stayed with them both. MW hotels are all getting a little worn out these days.
The posh chalet - Couchire - up in Le Fornet is nice and quiet
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
YSE's Juniper chalet is a hoot!

Stayed there at the start of the season a few years back when the staff were on their training week. Great team, very laid back atmosphere, lots of free wine and brilliant grub... not the ritz but comfortable and we had a good mix of skier and boarders, noobs and experienced, blokes and girls... loved that holiday Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, good to hear, booked and paid for yesterday. Bloody reasonable I thought, at £585, and we've snagged one of the few 3B rooms (bathroom, bog, & balcony).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John,

For £585 it looks like you've booked the 6th of January in Juniper. It's a shame YSE haven't negotiated cheap lift passes for that low season week.

You will really enjoy the food and the low key efficient service provided by YSE.

Note - The old chap in the yellow jacket with the Richard Burton accent who meets you at the airport is "YS" one of the directors of the company. The sense of humour on the website is his. The informative talk he gives on the coach transfer used to be/is very funny.

You should subscribe to his daily photo (when the season starts).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer, I've never been on a yse holiday, but I am subscribed for the daily photo... Makes me want to book with them, which I hope to do next season
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John - good work. It's a great location... take about 2 mins to walk into the centre and there's a bus stop pretty much outside and it's about 3 mins up to Le Fornet, my fave area of VDI.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd be tempted to book an end of season week with them, my only concern would be that I'm a female solo skier. I don't want to ski alone but I wouldn't want to force myself on other ski groups..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piccadilly,

YSE take bookings from singles, they don't charge single supplements but may put you in a twin with another female. As discussed in another thread YSE don't provide ski hosting which makes it a bit more difficult to find a group to ski with. Provided you are sociable and not too pushy finding skiing mates shouldn't be too difficult.

YSE have a few single rooms in their "new" Les Chardons Chalet Hotel. You won't get better value than their last week of the season in Juniper (£350).

For the last week of the season they will probably have lots of availability. You will have to arrange your own flight home from Geneva on the 28th of April because their own charter flights end on the 21st of April. They will provide the coach transfer from Val to Geneva on the 28th of April.

I'm going out for YSE's first week of the season and simply had to pay less than £40 for the outbound flight, I fly back on the first YSE charter on the 16th of December.

shoogly,

The one drawback with YSE for you, being in Scotland, is that they only offer one charter flight from Gatwick.

YSE charter their own plane because they want all of their clients on the same flight. If there are problems with the flight or the airport they can sort things out very easily. YSE's first Xmas in 1991 the road to Val was closed by avalanche. YSE simply put us up in a hotel in Annnecy for the night, the coaches then left Annecy the next morning and we only lost a couple of hours skiing. Other tour operators had clients stranded in coaches on the road or at Geneva Airport. However if you travel out independently you do get a discount.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, that's a very good point about quick bus to Le Fornet, hadn't occurred to me. First (ish) tracks on the glacier, nice.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
welshflyer, thanks for the advice. I'll bear it in mind, but to be honest I am quite reluctant to force my company on other ski groups. I don't think I'm pushy, but I'd always be wondering if they were just being polite and would rather I wasn't with them!!

I'll probably stick with MW.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
Specialman, that's a very good point about quick bus to Le Fornet, hadn't occurred to me. First (ish) tracks on the glacier, nice.

Yeah, it's great area, although we hooned around the trees under the Fornet cable car most of the time. We were very lucky that it pelted it down every night and for a few hours most days so if we missed the fresh stuff in the morning up on the glacier, there was always some new snow later in the day when everyone else was having lunch. The other bonus we had was with it being the first week, there was a couple of university trips in Val (Warwick and Leeds unit) but all the students were on the lash every night so it was very quiet in the morning. Of course, that's not going to happen all the time but it gave us a lot of terrain to ourselves.

Just thinking about it get my juices flowing, it was that good...

snow report
Specialman,

You're first photo might have been a little different during or after this:-

http://youtube.com/v/ZAnC6AG63Qo
snow conditions
welshflyer wrote:
Specialman,

You're first photo might have been a little different during or after this....

Shocked Shocked Shocked

The week after we were in town there were apparently some big old avalanches - think one shut off the road to Tignes and covered a fair bit of the town. Might have read it on SHs
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy