Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need to kick the Dolomites habit....any suggestions ?

Poster: A snowHead
Tom W, That report ought to go in with the alphabetical TRs at the top. You could just copy and paste it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pokemon, is there anywhere/one particular in Arabba, from your experience, that you'd recommend for ski hire i.e. choice perspective?

Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur, Ski Nico has the largest choice with shops at the Portavescovo Cable Car station and in the town. Ski Nico is the default choice for most of the tour operators. I used them the first year I went to Arabba but I felt they were not the most helpful, especially when I wanted to change my skis mid week.

Last year, the offical Arabba Ski School opened a small hire shop above the Mister X cafe, next to the Burz chairlift. I have my own skis but took them there for waxing on the recommendation of my ski instructor, whom we have become good friends with over the years. They did a hot wax overnight for 6 Euro and were really helpful. The hire skis they had looked pretty good and because they only opened last season, seemed eager to please. This would be my choice if I was hiring this year. Just googled them and it looks like they've now got a website for booking. http://www.skirentalarabba.it/

There are another two shops (Sport Orizon) in the newer section out of the village and also near to the Portavesovo hotel. They also seem eager to please and have a reasonable selection. I bought a helmet from there 2 years ago. I have hired skis from these before and they were very helpful but struggled to meet my requirements for a specific model. More my problem than theirs I suppose. As their shops are quite small I got caught up in a long line waiting for hire skis, so pickup timing is something to be considered.

The only other shop I know of is a small one (Kiwi sport) next to the Garni Laura. Never used them but they looked like they had a limited selection albeit cheap
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, it's my report, but that would be fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon, many thanks - that's really appreciated. Not to mention comprehensive Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski wrote:
JB1 wrote:
Think I'll stick to the bar side and avoid the offer of a room. Quite a few options with Inghams and have been considering the Chalet Brigitta, any thoughts?

Pants.

Go to the Hotel Flora with Neilson. 200m apart, but infinitely nicer.

BTW, I have stayed at both. wink

I think JB1 meant the Inghams Chalet Brigitta in Arabba, not SkiTotal's Chalet Brigitte in Selva, not sure if that makes any difference to your undergarment-related appraisal though!

On trip advisor, they mention that you have to go out onto an external staircase to get from the room to the dining room/lounge...that wouldn't be much fun at -15C that it was last year at breakfast time when I was in Arabba.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chasseur, The one next to the Portavescovo hotel seems to be good. I usually service my own skis but I had them serviced there last year for a very reasonable price and they did an excellent job. grahamsm1 hired his skis there last year, along with many other SHs and they swapped his skis a few times without bother during the week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks geepee.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pokemon, just accept that there are some habits that just shouldn't be given up !!!

(Mind you our friend sue is now doing trips to Japan & s.america if you want a complete change !)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nickH, she gets about a bit I know....do you go back to the Dolomites much ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pokemon, April year before last was last trip , though that was the fourth consecutive year I'd been. Not planning to go this year ( tignes &schladming so far booked ) but might be tempted by a late season visit there funds permitting. Would probably head to a resort other than arabba this time, perhaps the kronplatz area.
Hit a significant age late next year so seriously thinking of a possible Japan trip for early 2014 as a treat to myself & maybe catch up with sue as we'll, though believe she might be back in this neck of the woods for a visit in January
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nickH, We went to Kronplatz for a day last year and I was impressed. Pretty big, scenic but different from the Sella Ronda. I quite fancied Schladming. Have you been before? If so what do you think of it?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a fan of the Dolomites too but I would suggest Monterosa. Couldn't be more different from the Dolomites in many ways, but the scale and grandeur of the surrounding peaks is breathtaking. Obvious differences are the lack of developement and a sense of (almost) wilderness; especially off-piste. Similarities include value for money, (dirt cheap espresso and bombardinos in the mountain huts), and the 'simpatico-ness' Puzzled of the locals. Don't know if my thumbnail sketch has sold it to you but It's an absolutely unique area in my opinion.

Kitzbuhel is a good shout if you want a change from Italy, although on many levels, Monterosa and the Dolomites feel worlds (not countries), apart.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pokemon, yup, went there last jan, but due to an unfortunate incident on arrival I only skied a couple of days so going back for a better look this time. Before I enthuse about Austria, have you skied there at all ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nickH, We've been once to a little place in the Ski Amade called Eben. Very small place but near to Flachau. The problem was I had a bad cold on leaving the UK which turned into Bronchitis and ultimately led to a miserable time and an early return home. We did a DIY, which worked out pretty cheap. My wife was also feeling unwell so I think it would be unfair to base our opinion of Austria on this single visit. On the plus side there was loads of snow, the area was very scenic and I remember Salzburg airport being nice and very quiet.

We would go back to Austria with no worries other than trying to avoid a place with T-Bars if possible. My wife kept falling off them much to the annoyance of the lifties.
latest report
pokemon, if this is going to be your only break away from the dolomites for a few years, I reckon you should seriously consider travelling further afield.

Norway, tremblant, the Rockies.... Best snow I've put my skis on was the Rockies at lake Louise, but there's hundreds of options over the pond worth looking at, and a lot of them are more affordable than you may think. Www.ski-I.co.UK is a good place to start.

Wherever you end up, pretty sure you'll have a great time. Very Happy
ski holidays
Pokemon

I can see where you are coming from ... "The grass is always greener"

Emm .. I've never been to the Dolomites
Its high on my list of places to do before I die ... but I cant easily get there from Stansted Sad

Where else have you been?
ski holidays
As shoogly, mentions above .. if you want something different .. I'd go to Banff and ski Lake Louise .. the skiing may not be that challenging but the drive up there each morning ...
The scenery is just "jaw dropping"

Spend at least one night in the Fairmont Château

Make it a Friday night and do a torch lit decent ... its a good fun tame night out.

I say this because the only draw back with Banff is the night-life ... it could be great if they turned off the bl@@dy tellie!
Non stop hockey highlight all day and all night long kills conversation.
snow report
DrLawn, not that well travelled really. I've only been skiing since 2003 and mostly once a year. So in no way a voice of experience.

Courchevel x2
Meribel x1
Les Arcs x2
Ski Amade x1
St Gervais/Megeve x1
Arabba/Sella Ronda/Dolomites x5 (every year since 2008)

All nice in their own way but as you can see the Dolomites have something special in our opinion which is shared by a lot of people but not everyone. Skiers wanting tough terrain may find it a little easy to be honest.

I think you can get to Arabba easily from Stansted via Venice Treviso and use the dolomitistars shuttle service, which is really cheap. You just may have some waiting around to do at Treviso (and the same on the return) for the shuttle as it only goes twice a day at weekends. It's only €32 return. You just need to book with an affiliated hotel in the village but it covers most of them. I've used it before and it was brilliant Very Happy
snow conditions
shoogly, DrLawn, thanks for the Canada thoughts. I have an annoying phobia Sad about flying long distances so need to conquer that first, although the thought of excellent skiing may be the best remedy
latest report
pokemon, in that case you should give it a second chance.
Personally I enjoy going to Austria in jan with the short cold days. The often pretty villages, fairy lights etc bring on a sort of " this is what xmas should be like" feel. In my limited experience I've found the uplift generally efficient ( ok with the occasional exception of t-bars ), the pistes well groomed, the natives friendly. The mountains are generally well provided with mountain huts, often very characterful ( lots of wood, open fires etc) with decent food at reasonable prices, & at the end of the day it's never difficult to find a nice bar or two for a few gluhweins , with the option of others with loud techno-oompah & dancing on the table in your ski boots should you so desire. Hotels &restaurants are often family run affairs which is generally reflected in the quality of accomodation & service.
Beginning to sound like a tourist promo. -lots of generalisations here, but basically I think the Austrians do the whole ski bit really well. It's not the Dolomites, but still great in other ways.
If you're having a couple of trips this winter, make Austria the first & save the Dolomites for the longer warmer days of march, long lunches & sunny terraces
Little Angel
ski holidays
pokemon,
Thanks for the travel tips for the Dolomites, I'll look into that.
I'm guessing "Ski Amade" is the "St Johann in Pongau, Flachou, Wagrain" area.

as nickH, mentions you cant really go wrong in Austria ... well you can .

For the shoppertunity .. Kitzbuhel,
for eating on the mountain .. Kitzbuhel
for varied nightlife with piano bars etc .. Kitzbuhel
if you want extreme nightlife .. Kitzbuhel

Best go to Kitzbuhel then.
latest report
DrLawn, I guess you'd recommend Kitzbuhel then Laughing Yes, that's the Ski Amade area. Very pretty but better if you're not coughing yourself to death like I was when I was there. I was on a mixture of Gluhwein, Potters cough remover and paracetamol/codeine. Skullie
latest report
pokemon, most accidents happen on take off or landing, so it makes no difference how long the flight is... That help? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
shoogly, cheers, I'm cured now Shocked in all seriousness I know it's irrational which is even more frustrating. The fear of the fear etc just need to do it
snow conditions
Mayrhofen worth a look too, lots of skiing, quite varied, good apres if you want it. The Hotel Perauer is nice, and reasonably priced.
snow report
pokemon, Kitzbühel is not on the Ski amadé lift pass. It is included on the Salzburger Superski area pass though as part of the Kitzbühel All-Star alpen area lies in Salzburgerland. The same goes for the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang ski circus.

wink
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, sorry my response to DrLawn wasn't well worded. I was referring to His quote:

Quote:
I'm guessing "Ski Amade" is the "St Johann in Pongau, Flachou, Wagrain"
although I bet I've got this wrong as well Embarassed

Samerberg Sue, while you are on, if you had to pick between the Ellmau/Soll area, the Kitzbuhel area, the Saalbach area or the Hochkonig area, which one would you choose for me?

We like the sense of travel and some harder pistes now and again, coupled with the nice tree lined scenery. All the Austrian resorts look quite pretty to be honest.

And would your answer change if I said we may be going with a couple and their five year old who are all beginners? (I guess it will)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pokemon, no problem - I've been teaching in between my post and your response, hence the slower response from me.

My order of preference based on those criteria would be:

Hoch König (based at Maria Alm or Dienten)

Ellmau, rather than Söll

Saalbach-Hinterglemm, staying in Hinterglemm rather than Saalbach (which I do not like as a village at all)

Kitzbühel

The amibence in all for them is different according to who you are with, but as you have a family of beginners, I think that selection is probably the best.

snowHead
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, thanks, would the order change if our friends decide not to go?
snow report
pokemon, yes, I think it would depend on your abilities though as all the resorts are nice and fulfil most of your requirements. For Kitzbühel I would probably wait before booking as it can be hard going if it is a snow-poor year as the pistes are rock hard artificial snow. In good snow it is a phenomenal place but in high season avoid like the plague if you can. I would probably put Saalbach higher than Ski Welt, but with the proviso that I would only stay in Hinterglemm or perhaps Leogang at a push. I do not like the strung-out endless hotel/pension/bar nature of Saalbach itself. BUT the skiing is amazing wherever you are in the system snowHead

I would still place Maria Alm and the Hoch König at the top of my lists though because I think the area is just mind-blowingly beautiful. Toofy Grin
latest report
pokemon, Get yourselves over to Whistler, everyone should do it at least once. Huge resort which is hard to see the whole thing in one trip and brilliant shopping. Food and service is also great - not to mention they speak a version of English everywhere.
ski holidays
We are off to Arabba for the first time this coming Jan. can you recommend a good restaurant for the chalet night off. Anyone suggested the 4 Vallees in Switzerland? Love it there!
snow conditions
Bubbles02, Miky's ( Michaela) Grill under the hotel mesdi close to bottom of chairlift. Recommend booking.
latest report
Looking today to sneak one in in the Valley (Val Gardena) before Xmas. wink
snow conditions
That is a tough choice. I truly believe that the Sella Ronda is the most beautiful place to ski in the world, but, a change is required and you'll need somewhere where you can feel like you are going places when you ski. Espace Killy would give you that feeling - a different route from one end of the ski area to another every day will make you feel like you are chewing up the miles in a way that is slightly more manageable than the 3 Valleys. Serre Chevalier would get my vote for beauty and tree skiing. Or you could go wild and try Vail - another huge and exciting ski area with a lift pass that you can use in Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge and Arapahoe Basin too (all within about a 40 minute drive from Vail)
snow report
pokemon, having skied the Dolomites and Hochkonig (Ski Amade) last season, this season we will be skiing... the Dolomites and Ski Amade rolling eyes
You sound like similar skiers to us!
Marial Alm is (as Samerberg Sue says) very beautiful, in a different way to the Dolomites, but if you like your skiing not too demanding with plenty of opportunity for nice stops at reasonable prices, both fit the bill.
ski holidays
Freddie Paellahead, Cheers I think Puzzled wink

Bubbles02, as nickH says Miky's is really good. As I usually go half board I don't have recent dinner experience, only lunch experience on the slopes, which is generally excellent everywhere . The Sporthotel is really good but can be expensive on the a la carte menu. The Al Forte is also popular but unsure of how good it is now as it's been some time since I ate there. It's out of town but they do a free return taxi to and from Arabba if you have dinner booked there. A lot of people also recommend the 7-Sass Pizzeria.

Scampi Dellahanti, thanks. Always fancied Val D'Isere when I go back to France again, as a lot of people recommend the skiing there.

Mollerski, you may catch the World Cup race in Alta Badia if you time it right. I think the Men's GS is on the 16th December. Always wanted to go an see it. The Gran Risa slope is really great to ski, obviously at a more moderate pace Laughing
snow report
Ok, after much deliberation and taking all things to account we couldn't bring ourselves not to go back to Arabba, so we are now booked to go back again (6th time on the trot) at the end of Feb. I feel quite embarrassed as you all had worthy suggestions. Crying or Very sad

We decided we needed to have some more private ski lessons from our friend at the Arabba ski school and also that we should go back with the intention of doing a farewell tour snowHead and actually do some of the stuff we've never done but have been meaning to do on the last few trips: WWI tour, trip to Pozza and surrounding area. We'd also like to return to Cortina on a day trip, as only been once and loved it.

Additionally there's now more chance of being able to go for a long weekend somewhere but will however still trawl the competitions thread in earnest Laughing

P.S. how long do you have to leave it before going back after a farewell tour ?? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
pokemon, a year max snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy