Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Letting The Train Take All The Strain.....

Poster: A snowHead
IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam, lots of useful info about train travel at www.seat61.com
I have recently started to use loco2.com and find it a very easy to use site
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JohnHSmith wrote:
I have recently started to use www.loco2.com and find it a very easy to use site

Good find. Thanks
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi. Looking at the train all the way from Bath to Oetztal for skiing in Obergurgl. Will cost <£1200 for 2 adults, 2 kids, which stacks up well against flying, and we get the extra time on the slopes. Having said that, we wouldn't get to apartment until lunchtime.
Main question that is worrying me - has anyone ever had delays in Eurostar or other connections that has made the whole thing fall apart????
I am also thinking I may not sleep on the train, but guess I will have to try it.
We normally drive, with an overnight either in north Germany or Luxembourg, and find it more relaxing that the evil sleazyjet, but it does eat into the holiday. With kids there do need to be regular stops wink Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow00monkey, Couple of questions there. Let me pick them apart.

Delays on trains - poo-poo happens with all forms of transport however with the trains as we book advance delays can be a greater concern. However last year our Eurostar back into London was delayed due to frozen tracks meaning we missed our booked train home out of London. When we spoke to Eurostar who said there was a European charter covering all train operators if one of them caused delays and the knock on effects. We went to the Eurostar office and they stamped our tickets and we got a later train out of London, showed the guard and no issues whatsoever. It is a mild concern but I know many who have been stuck on motorways in snow, airport lounges etc..Basically its not a reason not to take the train. Cool

Sleep on trains If in a shared couchette then our experience is that once the train gets moving the door gets shut and you can't see past your nose so sleep is relatively easy. You have a little light by your bunk but its dark. Kids can be a bit excited so easy for them to play on an iPod or DS. Getting to the loo in the middle of the night isn't so easy so don't drink lots before getting on board. Another options is drugs Toofy Grin Toofy Grin . Go to any chemist and at the counter, they are not on the store shelves, ask for Nytol, not the herbal store shelf ones, the proper ones and the 200mg capsules. Take 2 of them once the train sets off and you won't wake till the train stops. Not addictive tablets and no after effects.

Kids on the overnight We have never taken the kids on the overnight train. We only found the train option after we stopped bringing them of late. I would hover have no hesitation in taking them. Lots do. They might be a bit excited initially but the dark and rocking motion of the train usually sorts them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Top tip - if you insist on driving over-night "to get an extra day's skiing", is there any chance you could try to avoid the following:

1. Going in a huff because you can't get into your room in your chalet (yes, the previous weeks guests are still in bed, I'm not making this up).
2. Going in a huff because you can't "just come into the chalet to get changed" (yes, the previous weeks guests are still in bed, I'm not making this up).
3. Go out skiing "for the day" but come back at 11:30am because you're "too tired to ski properly" then just "hang around the chalet, not getting in the way, at all, no sir"
4. Be in an incredibly foul mood for the first 2 days of your holiday because you're massively sleep-deprived.

wink

Seriously, we're delighted to have people turn up early, drop their bags and go skiing and we'll always let you in as early as possible, but really, turning up 100% ready to ski and just dropping off bags is definitely the way to go!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use Eurostar regularly. Home town station to Paddington, Friday pm. Tube to St P. Train about 8pm. BSM about 6.30am. Prebooked altibus to Tignes(often) about 7.15am. In resort about 8.15am. It can be gruelling. Often 2 hours kip before on the slopes about 10.30am. The flying alternative is equally gruelling. Getting up in the middle of the night etc. On balance with the extra skiing and not having to park at the airport the train is the preferred option.
Coming back. full day Sat skiing. Altibus to BSM. back to St P by 7.15am on the Sun. 8am or 9am train from Paddington. Home 1030-1130. About £270 return is the most I have paid - early booking.
My advice would be to look at the options on price (inc all elements), time taken to travel, discomfort level, amount of skiing. The answer may be different for you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark1863, We do overnight from Paris in couchettes. Have to admit sitting in a chair for the night does not full me full of any joy. Each to their own Smile

I think to many people dismiss the train, it certainly gives lots of options and affordable prices to.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am also a big fan of the trains, especially the sleepers from Paris, but I can see it isn't for everyone, especially those for whom getting to St. Pancras is a journey in itself.

But to add to the voices:
- I've never had problems with delays meaning I didn't make connections; your onwards tickets should still be valid if booked under the the international booking conditions
- I've never had problems sleeping in couchettes; never tried the overnight-in-seats option as that doesn't appeal to me
- Pricing is best if booked in advance or if travelling in off-peak weeks. The direct Eurostar in particular goes up in price a lot for peak weeks.
- Another option is to get a late Eurostar to Paris and then a cheap motel near Gare de Lyon before early TGV to Alps the next morning; this is sometimes cheaper and doesn't take much longer.
- Transfers are so much more pleasant (and cheaper) when it's a 30 min journey rather than a 2-3 hour from Geneva

Last week I discovered http://www.capitainetrain.com/ which seems to be filling the gaping hole in the market for a competent and simple way to book European trains. For years I've had to put up with Rail Europe and similar, whose websites suck, but Capitaine Train is excellent. Loco2, as mentioned above, is good too if you want to pay in pounds rather then euro.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kieranm, Use this for the French trains. The trick is to say you are resident at France when it asks during the buying process where you are located. If you say England you re-directed to the awful Rail Europe website. You get e-mailed a ticket you can print from home. Easy

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/?rfrr=reservation%2520panier_header_home
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the helpful comments above.
Stevomcd - I don't drive to get an extra days skiing, in fact the reverse is true. I certainly don't expect any of your huffy things! Where on earth did you get this idea from my OP which is about train travel!!!!
We own and rent our apartment in Zwieselstein, and avoid huffy chalet owners wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowmonkey - I'd recommend giving the train a go. We've travelled by train with our children many times for skiing and they see the journey as part of the holiday.

On the outward journey I'd recommend leaving a decent amount of time between the Eurostar arriving and the night train departing in case the Eurostar arrives late. Although your First Great Western is probably the train most likely to be delayed Toofy Grin

My personal preference is to stay overnight near Gare De Lyon and take a fast daytime TGV rather than the sleeper (as even in first class the sleepers aren't that luxurious and there is no onboard dining car on the French sleepers). However for Austria I assume the sleeper might be the best option.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, Capitaine Train knocks the socks off voyages-sncf!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you can get get a train to Amsterdam, Utrecht or Arhnem. It is possible to connect to the City Night Line.

Super Cheap overnight service to Switzerland & Austria. Couchettes & vaious cabins

www.citynightline.nl
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
can't seem to get capitaine or loco2 to do anything sensible for austria.
off to cnl.nl now, thank you Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
If you can get get a train to Amsterdam, Utrecht or Arhnem. It is possible to connect to the City Night Line.

Super Cheap overnight service to Switzerland & Austria. Couchettes & vaious cabins

www.citynightline.nl

Ferry Newcastle - Amsterdam, then City Nightline to Austria via Munich. It's the way to go.
snow report
kieranm wrote:
thefatcontroller, Capitaine Train knocks the socks off voyages-sncf!

Yeah but register before you can do anything, that annoyed me so gave up. Will try again. You own the site wink

Sorry, just tried the site and it told me the train was full and SNCF offered me tickets,
snow conditions
Trains seem to be getting scarce already rolling eyes
From Bath going via amsterdam is too time consuming
back to paris......
latest report
Snowmonkey - isn't there an overnight train from Brussels to Austria? I nearly booked tickets on it once.
ski holidays
snowymum, Snow00monkey, try this site for the City nightline in English. There are trains to Munich and Innsbruck.
http://www.nshispeed.nl/en/other-international-trains/nighttrain-citynightline
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:

Slower than flying but incredibly relaxing t

Oh for pete's sake. What utter rubbish.
What's that? Nine journey segments. That sound incredibly relaxing.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

Oh for pete's sake. What utter rubbish.
What's that? Nine journey segments. That sound incredibly relaxing.

Well ok I admit it is actually hell. I mean the meal we have in Kings Cross is always horrible, the beer while waiting for the Eurostar is rank. Worst of all is the 1/2 bottle of champagne we always have on the Eurostar while watching some rubbish film on my laptop is the utter, utter low of the journey for us. The 2nd low is falling asleep in the dark in Paris and waking up around Albertville straining to see how low the snow line is. You're right its awful.

The 1st time we did it there was one simple rule. If we did it and we got the resort so knackered that we didnt want to ski it was pointless. Now done it 3 times and booked for 2 more this coming season. Don't knock it till you have tried it.

I'll take the train over entering Geneva airport any weekend in the ski season, now thats not relaxing. Laughing
snow conditions
thefatcontroller Laughing Laughing

It is a very long time since I've taken a charter flight for a skiing holiday and that was because the last time was so bad. Spent most of the day in Turin airport waiting for the plane door to be fixed so it could leave Gatwick to pick us up. Many of the passengers got bored waiting and got very drunk. It wasn't pleasant.

Now we have our own skis flying is even less appealing. The train is always good fun particularly if you are with friends and can book seats near each other in the same carriage. We first took our son skiing by train when he was 10 months. I remember hopping off the train with him in his Maclaren buggy and realising it was hard to push it through the foot of snow on the platform at Aime la plagne snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
thefatcontroller,
The Eurostar chair is not for everyone. I wear a neck support. Take the ipad with several downloaded films. Usually drop off somewhat through the second film. It's a long night otherwise. The chairs are designed for people about 6 ft tall and my head is not really where it should being a bit vertically challenged. Tend to go in the nicer bit and have a seat on its own. Usually works but had a couple of tedious nights.
latest report
I'd love to have a crack at the train to the Alps, unfortunately my body completey refuses to sleep,on trains.

I once did the Orient Express from Cainrs to Brisbane and in two nights I reckon I slept for about an hour.
latest report
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

You own the site

Sadly not! I tried it as it's the one now recommended by The Man in Seat 61 and I was completely taken by how simple and quick it was to use compared to the others - things like no advertising or other noise, remembering all the passenger names and ages so I don't have to type them in. As it charges in Euro it's cheaper for me than the UK sites (who all factor in a fairly poor exchange rate) and it doesn't charge for using credit cards either. But if Voyages SNCF works for you and others that's great - I've used it in the past too - I'm just glad to have an alternative.
latest report
TheGeneralist wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

rant rant rantincredibly relaxing.rant some more

Oops , sorry. Too many Erdinger last night. What I meant to say was that it really doesn't sound relaxing with all that changing . I'm definitely don't subscribe to the view that it's better to travel than to arrive.

I should also mention that I'm only 10 minutes away from Manchester airport, which kind of skews things in favour of flying for me. I appreciate that other views and starting locations are available.
latest report
TheGeneralist, Laughing No probs. My continued point being that its an option that most dismiss but should not be ignored or at least tried once. Our journey involves, train, train, taxi, train, taxi, train, funnicular, bus and genuinely it is not at all stressful and is very, very relaxing and we gain 1 extra days skiing and we avoid Geneva airport.
snow report
Snow00monkey, tongue firmly in cheek! Not aimed at you specifically, but same comments apply to the overnight train as well (although less so, since you don't have to actually drive the train!).

FWIW, I strongly recommend the Eurostar + French Sleeper approach. People who arrive this way seem to be pretty fresh and in good form, up for a day's skiing. People who take the direct Snowtrain (or worse, drive overnight) tend to be wrecked.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy