Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One for the petite ladies please - clothing recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
About to book our first skiing trip in over 20 years and, funnily enough, the child's age 13 ski suit that I wore in my 20s on my very first ski trip no longer fits!!! So I'm looking to buy some new gear.

I know this will horrify some people (you probably want to stop reading now), but I'm willing to spend some money (well ask for it as presents actually) to look less like a coloured snowball on the slopes. You see, at just 5ft tall, skiwear isn't exactly flattering - it hides my waist (my only redeeming feature) and of course it can't be worn with heels!

So, I'm short, size 10 with an hour glass type figure, thunder thighs and fat upper arms (you win some, you lose some!). I'm looking for recommendations please for manufacturers/styles/fabrics/ways of layering etc etc - anything that would stop me looking like the Michelin man BUT keep me dry and very warm as I'm one of those permanently cold bods. I need details like lots of vertical seaming or darker side panels and waist shaping, ultra-thin insulation, short length salopettes (with room for the thighs), thin but uber-warm layers etc - I'm sure my fellow petite ladies know what I'm on about. I'm not worried about whether it's trendy, but I do want slim/shapely.

Really hope some of you can help me out with some ideas please. Many thanks in advance. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't be too hard on yourself! But yes, some ski wear can be unflattering.

I have a pair of North Face Go Go pants which are bootcut in style rather than baggy. On my top half I wear a base layer, lightweight fleece jumper that is quite slim fitting over that and then usually a soft shell jacket. My jacket is a Salomon Snowtrip 3 in 1, but so far I've only ever needed the outer layer (I've not yet been out in it in properly cold temperatures though), but even with the inner jacket zipped in it's quite fitted. Even better without. It has no insulation as such to add bulk, and the 3 in 1 option makes it quite versatile.

Salomon seem to do a few different jackets with a similar fit, though some are quite expensive. The Snowtrip is around £150 if you look online.

Can't help with the coloured snowball look though - my combo is purple and fluorescent yellow Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Helen, I am size 10 and 5ft 2 short leg. I bought Campagnolo ladies short leg ski pants (and jacket) last season...not too pricey.....£80 for pants I think. They are comfortable...possibly still a tad too long but ok with ski boots . The shortest I could find to be honest.They were fine as regards warmth. Best to try before you buy for fit but Lockwoods have them. The jacket is not boxy and has some shaping and not too long. Its also warm but too warm I think for milder spring skiing, ...black colour didn't help tho.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks Lizzie and Scarlett, will look at these. Smile

Any other petite ladies like to chip in too?

Quote:

Can't help with the coloured snowball look though - my combo is purple and fluorescent yellow

I think I'm a bit old to carry that off these days! There was a lot of fluorescent pink on the original stuff though. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HelenS, I'm 5'1 size 10 too, although I don't have an hour glass figure. I couldn't find any pants that I liked which fitted nice apart from Roxy, but they were too long, so I took them to a dressmaker who cut a lump out just above the boot zippy thing and re stitched, she did a beautiful job and the new seam looks as though it should be there, if that makes sense?
I have a Scott jacket which is shaped at the waist rather than box shaped, a more girly fit, hope this helps snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I think I'm a bit old to carry that off these days! There was a lot of fluorescent pink on the original stuff though.

That's the beauty of ski gear - no one can tell how old you are, especially under a helmet and goggles.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HelenS, I'm 5ft and a very small bit. I bought myself some Eider skiwear last year. The legs were way too long, but I took them to the excellent ladies at Tundra who did an excellent job of altering them, even putting the articulated knees in the correct place for me. I'm to get them to take up the sleeves on my jacket as I didn't have time to get both done before my trip last year.
Schoffell do some excellent ski pants in short leg length.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not tried them myself – I’m pretty tall, but a very petite but curvy friend of mine loves Sweaty Betty ski wear. It’s not cheap, but very well cut: http://www.sweatybetty.com/ski-dept3090_pg1/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks so much Smile, will investigate these brands too and bear alterations in mind - hadn't realised I could have them altered without ruining the various properties.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have alterations done just make sure the shop understands technical fabrics. It is easier to alter sleeves than trousers, trousers have zips/articulated knees/thigh vents etc that you have to be careful of, which generally mean cutting material from the middle of the leg to avoid a wierd fit, if the shop can't do this confidently enough to guarantee the waterproof finish then go somewhere else for alterations.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hI, THERE'S A WEBSITE (AND A SHOP IF YOU LIVE LOCAL ENOUGH - COSTOCK, NOTTINGHAM) CALLED LOVEANDPISTE AND THEY HAVE SOME REALLY NICE CLOTHES, AND CATER FOR PETITE AND SHORTER LEGGED PEOPLE. THEIR RANGE IS QUITE GOOD AND AT THE MOMENT THEY HAVE LOTS OF COLOURFUL BRIGHT CLOTHES FOR MEN AND WOMEN - KIDS TOO! TAKE A LOOK, YOU'VE NOTHING TO LOSE. I BOUGHT SOME NICE WHITE TROUSERS WHICH WERE CUT FOR THE SHORTER LEG AND NOT TOO EXPENSIVE. HOPE THAT HELPS!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome ILOVECHOCOLATE, , I thought you were angry! Did your caps lock get stuck? lol. Good tip though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lilywhite, see above. Tundra Repairs http://www.tundra-repairs.co.uk/index.php
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ILOVECHOCOLATE, White trousers? Not a good plan with your addiction. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My wife is 5ft 1 and an 8/10. She's currently sporting a flattering Mountain Equipmet Jacket that looks pretty flair and slim.

Have you looked at http://www.gearforgirls.co.uk/? That's were I go when looking for presents.....
ski holidays
geepee, Laughing
snow report
Edited to correct mistake Embarassed

My Salomon Snowtrip jacket came from SheActive in Brighton. Excellent service.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 17-11-12 12:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
On behalf of my wife, 5' 0", she wears Killy. Expensive, but has had the same outfit 9 years now. In black, pinched waist with belt. Enough said. This is if you want to spend money. My wife always does!
latest report
We stock children's skiwear up to European size 170, ie c.5'8", from Swedish brand, Didriksons. Feel free to take a look at our website - http://www.funkyrascal.co.uk/girls-winter-jacket-salopettes-misti-didriksons/ (jacket and salopette set). Alternatively, we have the Tudor jacket and we can pair with relevant sized salopettes (http://www.funkyrascal.co.uk/girls-winter-jacket-tudor-in-vivid-maroon-didriksons/).

The advantage is that the clothes are designed for heights, not adult sizes . If you would like to know specific sizing details, ie lengths, etc, do give us a call and we're happy to help - 01334 659 047.
snow report
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'll check them all out Very Happy
latest report
About to post 2 E&O jackets in the classified size 10 that my wife 5' 2" has little used if anyone interested - 1 black, 1 purple/mauve....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy