Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting Started...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Last week my girlfriend bought me a snowboarding taster lesson. Something I've always fancied doing but never got off my backside and done anything about it.

Now I'm hooked and booked in for some beginner lessons at Chill Factor starting next week.

I've already got some cheap ski pants but I'm after a jacket/winter coat I can use snowboarding.

Looking at some on net but can't really gage how thick they are and if they will be warm enough.

I've seen this, seems OK for the price.

http://www.dare2b.com/buy/outloud-jacket-204083

Any advice would be great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just go to TK Maxx. Anything marketed as a skiing jacket will basically be fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What he said ^
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For chill factor, just wear a hoody or whatever, you can be pretty sure it's not going to snow/rain.

For when you go to the real mountains, I'd go with Mr Piehole. Avoid Dare2Be if you don't want the cool kids to point and laugh... wink

There are lots of sales and discount sites on-line, plenty of places to find top-brand stuff at a sensible price if you're influenced by such things.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dare2B stuff is OK, my kids have a lot of it. Have you got a branch of Go Outdoors or similar near to you so you can go and check it out?

What you need to wear to keep you warm & dry when skiing is a very personal thing. Some wear 3, 4 or 5 layers with a waterproof shell jacket. Others just a t-shirt and a quilted ski jacket. If you do a forum search here you'll find loads of threads to help. There is one running at the moment about outer shell jackets (expensive Gore-Tex ones).

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2115573&highlight=shell#2115573

As you will be learning to board I imagine you will be spending a lot of time either kneeling or on your back bottom, so waterproof things would probably be a good idea.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chuckmorris, If you look at winter sports wear, you may quite often see a rating for breathability and waterproofing measured in thousands of mm, eg "Breathable:5000mm, Waterproof 8000mm". Basically the rule of thumb is 'the higher the better'. Look for good, chunky zips you can operate with gloves on and taped seams.

Gloves are another key purchase. If you suffer from the cold, look at mitts instead of gloves. Personally I only use gloves with a removable inner liner so you can take them out to dry and air out. Also as a learner boarder, you may want to use wrist-guards which strap over your palm and wrist to protect your hands if you fall. If you are going to use them, make sure they fit under your gloves.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info!

TK Max, Go Outdoors and Winfields are all in a reasonable distance.

I don't want to spend an absolute fortune so I will have a scout around.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't get sucked into fashion and high prices ( unless you can afford it ), you don't need snowboarding clothes, a good waterproof coat and layers underneath will do the trick just as well. Though a few people may point and laugh Very Happy
Welcome to snowheads and welcome to an obsession that may take over your life. I mean snowboarding not snowheads Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Re. waterproof/breathability ratings - while accepting that they are subject to all kinds of inaccuracies, my rule of thumb for any serious mountain use is "at least 10,000 for each".

BTW Richard_Sideways, the waterproofness is indeed measured in mm (the height of a water column required to generate enough pressure to penetrate the fabric), but the breathability is not. It's measured in ml per m^2 per day - i.e. how many ml of water would evaporate through a square metre of fabric in one day (in a controlled laboratory climate, no idea what the spec for that is).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got my kit at the Helly Hansen outlet store in Gloucester Quays - very happy with it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd,
Quote:

It's measured in ml per m^2 per day -

Technically correct but Richard_Sideways, is right about how it's always quoted on snowboard gear. Whichever way it's quoted it doesn't work anyway. The most expensive breathable fabric can't cope when either outside humidity is 100%, ie on a welsh mountain, or when you sweat faster than it can escape, which is most of the time if you're working hard enough.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chuckmorris, the second most important item after boots, is the pants. You could go to TK Maxx and buy a pair for 30quid but believe me they wont last. When you're learning its a good idea to get some reasonable gear so you're comfortable, if you can afford it as they will take a serious bashing. I went through 2 pairs and a daily wet bum so I decided enough is enough. I splashed out on a decent pair and never looked back since.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

never got off my backside and done anything about it

snowboarding's just the sport for people who don't get off their backside.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chuckmorris, assuming you'll venture outside a fridge at sometime, some good offers here currently:

http://www.trespass.co.uk/

Almost hundred quid off some jackets, pants under half price..........

Otherwise, couple of tees,maybe a fleece/hoodie and some cheap pants.

Enjoy it, and find a mountain when you've found your feet. Good luck.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gainz wrote:
You could go to TK Maxx and buy a pair for 30quid but believe me they wont last.

Depends what you get. The weird thing about TK Maxx is you see acres of Trespass gear for sale next to the odd bit of Spyder etc. for only about a fiver's difference in cost.

I wear a Halti jacket/pant combo worth about five hundred quid, all from TK Maxx for a ton. You have to just keep going back day after day after day relentlessly bargain hunting until something miraculous turns up.

Or buy Dare2Be stuff.
latest report
Quote:

You have to just keep going back day after day after day relentlessly bargain hunting

Whole days of your life which you'll never see again.

Dare2Be, Decathlon, Surfanic, Trespass and the like will be more than adequate for a beginner doing lessons in a snowdome, and even for a number of real mountain trips as well. Undoubtedly you'll want to upgrade your gear later, but in the meantime I'd spend the cash on lessons and liftpasses - much more fun for your money than spending half your life at a commercial jumble sale.
snow report
I really love leafing through TK Maxx though. In fact, as I sit here typing this, my shirt jeans and shoes are all from there Smile
ski holidays
stevomcd, you are, of course, correct. Attack of brainfart.

robapplegate, you are also correct, the humidity inside the jacket isn't ever going to be lower than the ambient air, but the higher rating indicates how quickly that transfer can take place.
ski holidays
Mr Piehole wrote:
I really love leafing through TK Maxx though. In fact, as I sit here typing this, my shirt jeans and shoes are all from there Smile

lol I must admit I am a bit of TK Maxx junky for regular clothes but I had a pair of Rossignol pants which split after 3 days and a pair of Lafuma which have been shredded. My mate had dare2be and they got shredded in a few days and his trespass pants are just damn ugly. Also stylewise which may not be that important to you old fogeys, is important to some and you ain't gettin' it from the Maxx.
snow report
Mr Piehole,

Me too. They have loads of weird sizes and some of them are even bigger than me Shocked
ski holidays
Beginners are very likely to shred even good quality pants, so unless they are both loaded AND so adolescently self-conscious that they can't cope with being seen in pants from T K Maxx, why spend loadsadosh?
snow report
and why do some snowboarders spend a lot on highly technical pants only to wear them so low-slung that their bum cheeks hang out?
snow conditions
pam w,

Additional ventilation? A zip there might be uncomfortable on a chair lift.
ski holidays
TK Maxx - Like a big jumble sale. I have bearly bought normal clothes anywhere else for 10 years. Hilfiger jeans, Plain Lazy Ts, Onitsuka Tiger trainers to name just a few. Patients is the key and if what you're after isn't there, walk away.

Snow gear not so much, though last year they did have Level gloves and plenty of Quicksilver gear, well if it's good enough for Mr. Rice?

Pam, I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough you'll see plenty of 'shat their pants' skiers as well as... ehem... 'middle aged' boarders.

Skiing is the new boarding don't you know.
ski holidays
chuckmorris, nevermind what pam w says. Spending a few quids on some half decent boarding troose is a good idea. It doesn't matter in the long un if you shred a £80 pair insted of a £40 pair from tackymax. Lets face it if you buy a decent pair they will last longer. Mine have 14 weeks put into them, that's from being a complete beginner, so even if you average the extra £40 over that, that's roughly £3 a week for a drier butt. Good value methinks.
snow report
You're artificially conflating cost and quality.

TK Maxx isn't a brand of low quality clothing. It's a stock clearance outlet.
latest report
OK thanks for all the info!

I'm going to have a look around at gear this weekend.

Is it worth buying a board, boots and bindings, or just rent them?

My plan is learn at chill factor and maybe go a few times a month but looking to get away early new year.
ski holidays
chuckmorris, rent for the dome lessons, then buy boots/board when you start boarding out in the wild. Unfortunately rental board gear in resort tends to be rubbish, better to buy. Most retailers do board/bindings combos aimed at beginners.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd strongly recommend wrist guards, padded shorts and knee pads before you have your first lesson, I bought them all after injuring the relevant area and really wish I'd got them before the injuries!!
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Unfortunately rental board gear in resort tends to be rubbish, better to buy.

Rental boards are indeed always knackered. I think it's a fair generalization to say that snowboarders tend to bash their kit around a bit more than skiers. That said, I personally made the mistake of buying gear before I *really* knew what I was doing - consequently I'm really happy with my boots (good luck more than judgement) and not really all that happy with my board/bindings.

Another funny thing about renting, which is a positive or a negative depending on your viewpoint, is the amusing range of responses you can get when you just say 'give me a board that looks about right for me, I'm an improving beginner' or whatever. Two years ago on a trip I did 2 non-consecutive days boarding (I'm more of a skier). Each time I went to the ski rental shop to swap out my skis for a board and basically said the above. Two different blokes behind the rental desk on the two days.

1st time: Twin freestyley 156.
2nd time: Directional 168.

I'd personally rent a bit until you can actually describe what it is you want to buy, and figure out your preference for shape, flex, length, how bendy or racey you like the bindings, etc.
snow report
Mr Piehole wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
Unfortunately rental board gear in resort tends to be rubbish, better to buy.

Rental boards are indeed always knackered. I think it's a fair generalization to say that snowboarders tend to bash their kit around a bit more than skiers. That said, I personally made the mistake of buying gear before I *really* knew what I was doing - consequently I'm really happy with my boots (good luck more than judgement) and not really all that happy with my board/bindings.

Another funny thing about renting, which is a positive or a negative depending on your viewpoint, is the amusing range of responses you can get when you just say 'give me a board that looks about right for me, I'm an improving beginner' or whatever. Two years ago on a trip I did 2 non-consecutive days boarding (I'm more of a skier). Each time I went to the ski rental shop to swap out my skis for a board and basically said the above. Two different blokes behind the rental desk on the two days.

1st time: Twin freestyley 156.
2nd time: Directional 168.

I'd personally rent a bit until you can actually describe what it is you want to buy, and figure out your preference for shape, flex, length, how bendy or racey you like the bindings, etc.

Good advice.

Not a clue what all the differences are.
snow report
Mr Piehole wrote:

In the past I would agree with you but now, there are so many poor quality items in TK Maxx that I only buy the odd thing. For instance, makes like bench, crosshatch, redtape are basically cheap rubbish. They put an RRP price of £50 and Maxx price of £20 and you think you have a bargain. Most times the item is only worth the Maxx price.
snow report
I did say you have to pan for the gold. It is mostly rubbish with some great stuff if you're prepared to spend the time or get lucky.
snow conditions
Even though I had some old cheap pants, I've just bought some Westbeach Upperlevels.

I will pick some gloves, a jacket and wrist guards up this weekend

Can't wait for my lessons to start on Tuesday!
latest report
Westbeach - good choice. Been a fan of WB for many years, mine has survived many years of snow, rain, rocks, trees, skier attack, beer spillage, and husky poo.
snow report
Mr Piehole wrote:

Having googled conflation I know know what it is.

I know what TK Maxx is, I shop there regularly. I don't know why you're stating Tackymaxx is a shop, not a low cost brand we all know that and no-one has suggested otherwise. I have bought a Patagonia Primo Down Jacket, Haglofs Trousers, Peak Performance layers, Mammut softshell and shoes. All Quality items and all at roughly double the price of the equivalent Dare2B, Trespass stuff. Just seemed to be a bit of a rule of thumb - the better stuff is roughly the price of the cheap shite. Just seemed reasonable to put it that way for someone buying their first kit rather than spouting technobabble at them.
latest report
Mr Piehole wrote:
Rental boards are indeed always knackered. I think it's a fair generalization to say that snowboarders tend to bash their kit around a bit more than skiers. That said, I personally made the mistake of buying gear before I *really* knew what I was doing - consequently I'm really happy with my boots (good luck more than judgement) and not really all that happy with my board/bindings. ... Each time I went to the ski rental shop to swap out my skis for a board and basically said the above. Two different blokes behind the rental desk on the two days.

Apologies if this is obvious, but...

I've rented gear when my boards have been lost, and I would not tolerate garbage. I'm paying, I rent the good stuff. So if you're getting garbage, then it's probably because you're doing some deal with a tour operator so you're being treated badly. My advice is to let your money do the talking - you can rent the gear you want to rent.

---
It's good to hear someone make the point about buying stuff before you know what you need. The marketing people so badly want you to buy toys, the pressure's all there, but it really is crazy.

---
People in rental shops may be skiers, or worse than you at riding. Let's say they're experts (rare, but it happens), in that case they've definitely not ridden the sort of board you need to rent if you're asking them for advice. Either way, it doesn't work.

But it gets worse... they've not seen you ride, and if you're male & American you'll overestimate your skill, or female and European you'll be too modest. In practice it's really hard to tell - you have to watch people ride to know what they can do, really. Just watch one turn and then you know... but you can't do that in a shop.

Summary: you're quite right, but it is always going to be like that. It would be better to ask your instructor what you should be renting.
ski holidays
I survived my beginners snowboarding lessons!

I'm not after buying any more kit just yet, I want to spend my cash on lift passes to practice what I've been taught.

My course was split over two days, two four lessons. The first lesson I used a 160 board the second a 158. I'm assuming all the boards at chill factor are the same width.

I'm about 182 cm tall, weigh about 82kg and size 10 feet, if any of that info is useful.

I felt the 158 a little more twitchy then the 160. I seemed to catch my edge more using it. I don't know if this is just bad practice on my part or the board did have anything to do with it.

I've tried googling this but have come back with all sorts of information.

What would size board would you recommended for a beginner?
latest report
Oh you've found a rich vein of opinion... The quick and dirty rule of thumb is the board should come somewhere between your chin and your nose.
A 158 or 160 would be about right for you, maybe a mid wide or wide with size 10 boots. Won't get into the various benefits of cambers etc.

The 'twitchyness' and edge catch you felt between the 2 boards at those lengths is probably more due to your increasing confidence/speed so don't worry about it, and keep practicing.
latest report
chuckmorris, I'd say 158 max. Which one did you prefer regardless of edge catch?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy