Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : Wales 2012 / 13

Poster: A snowHead
joel93, from the Traffic Wales website:

Quote:
- Maerdy, Bwlch and Rhigos mountain roads closed until further notice *Caerphilly mountain road now open*

All other major trunk roads are passable with care.

This was the situation at 12:15 Wednesday, 23rd January - for further updates please call 0845 602 6020

Main roads are generally completely clear of snow, as temperatures have warmed up (I haven't been over Storey Arms though). If you don't know where the Maerdy, Bwlch and Rhigos roads are, you don't need to (they're all in/out of the Rhondda).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow! Great stuff, super extreem!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did Carnedd Llewelyn on Tuesday from the Ffynnon Llugwy Reservoir road and managed to descend all but a couple of hundred paces on skis, to within 10 meters of the car parked at the bottom of the reservoir road.
I ascended all the way on skins, except the short section of the road that is covered in sheep feed and poo!

I would say conditions were good! I used my old skis and skins, but barely touched a rock.

I went up via the road, crossed the Afon Llugwy via the bridge just below the Reservoir. Up the fence towards Creigiau Hirion then struck northwards above Craig y Llyn. I traversed beneath the foot of Craig Llugwy and around the cwm to reach Bwlch Cyfryw-drum between Carnedd Dafydd and Carnedd Llewelyn. Along the ridge and up the South and then South East face of Carnedd Llewelyn as there were less exposed stones here than the main path.

I descended the South West face towards Cwm Llugwy over hard rime snow. At the most convex part of this slope there is a 3 inch layer of windslab, which was strong(hard to deform an unisolated section with body wieght on skis), but weakly bonded benealth with a very fluffy layer on snow on top of an older harded packed layer. I don't suppose there is a history of avalanches here, but I don't suppose many people have been at this point to act as the trigger!

Just before reaching Craig y Tri Marchog I traversed Cwm Llugwy to reach the broad spur between Craig Llugwy and Craig y Llyn, the slope down to the wall gave further sport untill a couple of hundred paces of rocks are reached. These could be carefully skised but I carried skis here to be on the save side. A quick shuffle over the bridge and along the track brought me to the road and a rapid descent back to the car.

Some other folks skinned up Pen yr Helgi Du the day before. This apparently gave a good descent of Y Braich, turning right at about 650 meters to follow a shallow steeper depression to the right of a fence line, before crossing the wall to whoop down the road.

I should add that all the snow below the steepest upper section of Llewelyn was soft powder with no crust. I used the skins to get back above Craig y Llyn on the traverse out of Cwm Llugwy.

The reservoir road is hard packed snow, with ice in places.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any photo's guys ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Any photo's guys ?

Erm... Sorry, not of anything skiable. Really must buck my ideas up. But here's a photo of the view from my front door right now to whet your appetite.

I was hoping to get out tomorrow but it's looking unlikely now. Maybe Friday.....? I promise to take some shots if I do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
harrisontherabbit, Snowing here tonight. I popped over to our local deer park this afternoon but to shallow to be any fun. Given the rate its coming down I may try tomorrow elsewhere if I have chance. Friday was forecast 'Heavy Snow' but then turning to rain.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forecast was for it to warm up, but that hasn't happened yet. Some flurries of snow, but not amounting to anything now. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get out today (too much faffing to do before heading out to the Dolomites tomorrow), but conditions look good. Hope they stay that way for the weekend for anyone who's around! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I either saw you or the the other two who skied down Pen yr Helgi Du unloading skis out of the back of a white van either Mon or Tues, at the bottom of the Llugwy road. I was going up Tryfan,,,,walking. I tried to follow your route on the map but realised you came down the south east face of Carnedd Llewelyn, not the south west as you stated. Must have been a brillinat day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heavy rain. Seriously heavy. I've never seen snow melt so fast. The optimist in me might say that it could be snow higher up. But I doubt it. I think it might be game over for good conditions in the Beacons this weekend. Sad

On a positive note: did I mention I'm going to Italy tomorrow? snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
harrisontherabbit, I hope the rain makes it this far. I need to drive to Liverpool tomorrow. Did I mention Chamonix ? snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heavy snow here, amazing what a difference a few 10s of miles can make. I bet it turns to rain overnight though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
harrisontherabbit, I hope the rain makes it this far. I need to drive to Liverpool tomorrow. Did I mention Chamonix ? snowHead

Good luck with that! I only need to make it as far as Birmingham. If things had worked out differently I'd be in Chamonix right now. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jonm, For sure it's very localised. In the village here we had no snow but the town (lower) had loads. It was pi$$ing it with rain earlier but then it turned back to snow. Mixed !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skinned up Pen y fan yesterday afternoon from the storey arms car park, the snow was pretty good on the top half, nearly all filled in, just couldn't see a thing. Wind across the ridge was blowing a gale so didn't venture down the otherside. Skiied all the way down to the carpark. I was planning on going up early this morning but we had some heavy rain at our hotel last night (Nant Ddu lodge, just down the road) which killed the snow so I decided some extra time in bed was the better option. It's a shame the rain came, with good visibility the skiing would be great.

And finally some photos. It wasn't really the weather for taking them so I don't have many Laughing

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Real shame, but the reality of S Wales skiing unfortunately.

Good effort to get after it.
snow conditions
You might be interested in the pictures here:- http://forum.kitecrowd.com/kitesurfing/snowkiting-anyone-207483-3.html
snow report
Fair play.

But I thought the whole point of kiting was for the up, not the down.
snow conditions
Andy9lives is the Andy that snowboarded down Pen y Fan last weekend with me on skis. I think he skid with you on Pen y Fan a couple of years ago Mike Pow.He phoned me early Thursday afternoon to say that he was just leaving the Beacons having had a superb kiteboarding and snowboarding session in awesome conditions. He then told me that he was on his way to Rest Bay to surf before heading home.
The word jealous doesn't begin to describe!
latest report
Very cool. Cheers for the update.
latest report
Someone please tell me they're skiing this

Bill Hillier photo
snow conditions
What a cracking photo!
snow report
I saw on the British Backcountry Facebook group that someone snowboarded Central Trinity and Parsley Fern (the gully the guy fell down) on Snowdon recently.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 19-03-13 7:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Just had a look. Thanks.
ski holidays
meh, When I saw the footage I thought it looked like it could be skiable.
latest report
That is simply a wonderful photo.....
snow conditions
If it's still like that this weekend then yeeeeees snowHead
snow report
Gales but low freezing level and 10-20cm of snow today. The weekend could be on on NW loaded slopes snowHead
snow report
Flouncymark, There's potential all right. Haven't been able to get out and about in daylight so I don't know how the higher ground is looking, but there's been lots of very heavy sleet at 1200ft. Unfortunately, I'll be on the Pembrokeshire coast in the rain. Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
harrisonolaflouncio, Fine. You flounceo off and I'll shred the gnar
latest report
Some footage from Sunday. it was less than ideal; 40 mph winds, 15m visibility at the top, -6 deg.C and a lot of wind pack/ice. Better slouching on the sofa any day snowHead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5L24AdMXZIE
latest report
Flouncymark, How many points for the Spaniel ? Laughing
ski holidays
Hiraeth.

Great effort Flouncymark.

Found this vid when I watched yours too. Bonus

http://youtube.com/v/nyQB734ngGI
ski holidays
TUESDAY 03 APRIL 2013

My girlfriend Nerys took a stroll up Pen-y-Fan today and took this picture.

What no takers?
snow report
I was up there yesterday as well - running with dog. Snow very hard and large areas of ice, so not very inspiring for a few turns! Very glad of the Kahtoola microspikes I'd packed! Probably better today as warmer.
snow report
Mike Pow, as JulesC suggests, it's a bit of an icy mess up there, and has been for the last 10 days. There was only one night of proper snow two weeks ago, and the wind took its toll. It stayed cold until a few days ago, but freeze/thaw action made a right mess. I parked the car on the hill outside my house one day, got out and found that I couldn't even stand up without holding on. Shocked

Yes, the Beacons are looking as beautiful as ever, but you're not missing a good ski. I don't think I've ever seen snow that I've been less inspired to slide on. Confused
ski holidays
Hopefully get some late April turns in on my return.

Would be a great way to finish the winter.
ski holidays
Doing the happy dance.

Tomorrow could see me make my first May turns in Wales.

16 cm forecast up high

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/6day/top
ski holidays
Mike Pow, you make me laugh. You spend all winter skiing unbelievable powder in Japan and still get excited at a bit of Welsh snow. That is true dedication to stoke Cool
ski holidays
Thanks Zero-G.

3-2-1-dropping.

Pics and vid to follow.

Fabulous morning in the mountains.
snow report
Mike Pow, You have done better than us. A hint this morning on a web cam and some report of snow on the hills from the local radio but non I can see. Looking forward to the pics.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy