Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tom Toms or similar

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to get a Tom Tom or similar for driving around Europe. There's 10,000 of these on ebay for next to nothing, and a lot of them offer interesting treats such as free maps for life. Is there any disadvantage to these? Would they be linked to someone's account and already 'claimed?'

The blurb on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TomTom-1XL-Europe-Complete-In-Origional-Box-/280997961063?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item416cc89d67 says:

Quote:
The TomTom XL comes pre-loaded with all UK and Ireland maps and the user is offered lifetime updates entirely free of charge.

Is this actually going to be the case?

If anyone could save me a few hours of researching and just tell me which one to get and how much to pay for it I'd be most grateful! I want something that'll live in the car and take me around Europe - map updates an added incentive.

Cheers all![/url]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a Garmin Nuvi 1340 with free updates. Updates are important otherwise the French Gendarmes will confiscate if you have speed camera warnings on the device. The update quickly removed them and changed them to safety zones.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another Garmin user here - way better accuracy than Tom Tom on the continent. My Nuvi also tells me when I'm speeding, so I don't need camera warnings! Laughing

Before anyone pipes up about the accuracy bit - we have tested the two makes against each other over here - the Garmin comes out top every time. In France my Tom Tom could not even find the village we were heading for whereas the Garmin (a way earlier model) delivered us to the house door at the correct time! Garmin is a navigation instrument company, they have been around for aeons before sat-nav became fashionable in cars.

The lifetime of free updates (4 per year) is tied to the owner not the device. I could not pass on my update rights to my sister when I gave her my old sat-nav.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for a Garmin, I have a TomTom and a Garmin, the Garmin is much better and reliable. Sorry don't know about updates, that's something I have never done.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find the routing algorithm on the Garmin to be more reliable.

That being said, my garmin has been relegated to my off-road bike as it's not that new and I'm not as bothered if it gets damaged (it's also waterproof)

In the car and on my touring motorcycle, I use my iPhone, running Sygic (which is also available on Android). That also has free map updates, is cheaper than a dedicated sat-nav and has some VERY nice features that integrate with the phone such as navigating directly to contacts. If you have an iPhone or Android device, I can REALLY recommend you look into it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another +1 for the Garmin here.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^^^ for Garmin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What feef said.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jiagedaping, I use that very unit - well it looks like mine which is a One XL - my first and only Satnav. Never had too many problems with it. I managed to break the RDS connection on the base (due to my own stupidity) and TT customer service were great - my unit was 3 years old they replaced it with a completely brand new FOC and paid for expensive looking packaging and postage for me to send the old one to them. The current full Eastern europe map is too big for the on board memory in the one XL (you can download specific countries), but I bought an SD card (you need the right one and can PM me if you go ahead for further details) which fits into the base of the unit and takes the full map and haven't had any problems since sorting out the installation onto the card (which is a bit fiddly, but I can point you at the instructions). In short I don't go out looking to buy anything else and its never 'lost' me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
get an iPhone wink Madeye-Smiley

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91681#2122404
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, that was fairly unanimous! Iphones etc aren't an option I'm afraid, I'm a phone luddite! I just like having separate devices for everything - say what you will.

I've picked up a refurb Garmin 265w with European maps from ebay, should do the job.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy