Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

English & Welsh Skiing - 20/21 (New season name change)

Poster: A snowHead
Iski wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/ygqSptnHcQc

April action from Snowdon this year posted by one of the local guides.

Fantastic - really enjoyed watching that.

+1 snowHead

+2
Folk music for Welsh folk skiing. Thanks. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
surfski, Where was the photo taken of the Berwyns ?

AndAnotherThing.., It was taken at Llechrydau http://goo.gl/maps/25cwc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surfski, What do you reckon is the best way in by car to get walking access to the tops ?

In the past I've parked by the Pistyll Rhaeadr waterfall but the chances of getting in (and more to the point, out) there with snow on the ground seem slim in my car Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've hiked back home from there, camped in the shooting hut out on the moorland area. Bloody -8C lol
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

^^ Looking white on the Mynd...

http://www.longmynd.com/HTML_pages/webcam.htm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AndAnotherThing.., blimey, that's certainly more than a dusting! Where is that exactly?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, Above Church Stretton, south of Shrewsbury.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was snowing steadily but not settling at the top of Mynydd Gethin above Merthyr most of this afternoon. Thats under 500m so there's a fair chance of something on Pen-y-Fan. Storey Arms webcam shows a dusting by the side of the road. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get after it gentlemen Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
harrisonygwningen, I think that cam is about 500m. Will have to be sat for me if there is any left.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.., I believe it is. It would have to be Saturday for me too unfortunately, but the forecast doesn't look good for that. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It looks like today or nothing unfortunately. Rain on the way.

Carpe Diem
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gone..

harrisonygwningen, Sorry, I meant the Long Mynd web cam is at 500m as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

^^ Last week I had a day walking across the tops of the Long Mynd and captured this panorama of some the possibilities we have in Shropshire.

Far far left you can just see the Wrekin (407m) which has had good past form, while middle left is The Lawley which has traditionally proved a reliable venue with close cropped grass and about 30 degrees according to the OS.

The big lump in the centre is Caer Caradoc which is about 500m. On the frontside there are several gullies that I have my eye on and other possibilities abound. The side of the valley the photo was taken from is the Long Mynd which also has some nice potential lines.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
27th December 2014.

It started snowing at around 3pm and continued in fits and starts through the evening. Unfortunately it's not been as cold as it might, but there was still snow on the ground this morning. It was a toss up between The Wrekin and Church Stretton and in the end I went for the longer drive and ended up parked in Little Stretton. The plan was to use a path which usually fills in with snow and skin up onto the tops.

Hope over expectation....

^^ Kit ready for the walk in and ski tour up.

^^ Not as much as would be ideal. Looking West over Cardingmill Valley.

^^ The Golf Course helped make a few turns possible.
snow conditions
Good effort, AndAnotherThing.., it's just about the being there sometimes. Really love that last photo. Laughing
snow report
Well done
latest report
I always miss the Welsh snow Sad
snow report
Cheers Smile It was good to get out. I see there is a hint of snow in the forecast next weekend so fingers crossed.
snow report
29th December 2014. Moel Sych, The Berwyns

Another Blue Bird day so I was tempted to have a look at the Berwyns for a change. Mrs AAT wanted to do some running and there is a track up following the contour from Pistyll Rhaeadr. The drive in was 'interesting' but we got parked and headed up. The snow line was around 500m but the walking was easy. Not enough snow to ski but pretty close in places although the snow was becoming humidified. Small snow wheels were coming off the rocks as the afternoon progressed. That said the snow cover gives an idea of what could be possible with a proper storm.

^^ Moel Sych and Cadair Berwyn. The bowl to the left side of the picture offers the best possibilities.

^^ Hints of possible gully lines down to Llyn Lluncaws

^^ Some tempting lines on the East side of the valley. The top on that side is about 680m.

^^ I spotted this obvious line on the way out, just to the East of the waterfall, possibly called 'Gorwalt', below the summit of Glan-hafon.

In future I'd be tempted to drive to Llangynog and hike or ski tour out of there. More options I think and easier access for the car. In addition the Tanat Valley is stunning.
snow conditions
Great shots. Much rockier than the Beacons.
snow report
@Mike Pow, yes, and the 'grass' as accommodating unfortunately.
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing..,

http://www.cookedbits.co.uk/photos/picture.php?/263

The link hopefully shows Moel Sych with a bit more snow, I don't live far from there and I was looking at the map with a view of going there if it snows enough, I then saw that you had been up for a look. If we get enough snow I'm going for it!!!!
snow report
@Matrski, Let me know and I'd love to tag along. If you are close and can tag the conditions that makes a big difference as it's about an hour and a half for me, so a bit far to pop for a look.

What year were the pics - 2001 ?
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing..,

I think it was 2010

Another link http://www.peakseekers.co.uk/020413.html which shows that it gets decent wind blown pockets in places. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
latest report
Looks great
latest report
@Matrski, The pic where the guy was 'sledging' looks interesting. That's above the waterfall (I think) and looks very skiable yet based on the other pics I don't think there was generally as much snow as when I was up the other day but it looks firmer.

Looking at the other photo's you can see localised wind loading at a different aspect to the wind direction on the ridge line.
ski holidays
Snowing in Yorkshire Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Which bit? Only a light flurry here
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, North Yorks, but it's stopped now Sad
snow conditions
Snowing in south Shropshire - not settling at 150ish metres and can't see higher through the clouds but the long mynd web cam looks white (or it's sat in a cloud - hard to tell!) Also looks snowy on the Brecons.

Bit earlier than forecast - meh had things to do not helped by snow...
ski holidays
It's white up here on Titterstone Clee but melting rapidly Sad
snow report
@Randomsabreur, @robapplegate, the myndcam is showing plenty of white at the glider club. Fingers crossed for a bit more overnight and I'll have a look tomorrow with skis.
latest report
Having a fair dump in the North York Moors Very Happy
snow report
A little dusting in the lakes today, with more forecast could get a day this weekend. Think they've only ran the tow once so far this season.

snow report
Snow on the Welsh mountians. Could see it this afternoon from Liverpool.
ski holidays
Road now white at 150m, Brown Clee very white looking last thing, apparently Caer Caradoc also quite white and a sprinkling on Wenlock Edge from this afternoon's shower. Wishing I had my own skis now...
latest report
@Randomsabreur, you'd only scratch the bases. Might get the old board out though if enough falls. Pretty white up here on Titterstone, think I might go for a little walk.
snow report
14th January, Shropshire Hills, Long Mynd and The Lawley.

Driving out of our village the Caradoc and The Lawley were lit up white in the Sunshine. In comparison The Wrekin and Telford had little snow, my guess being that it turned to rain overnight.

I normally stop in the A49 lay-by opposite Caradoc to get a view of the conditions and while there was more snow than December. Caradoc didn't look compelling with little snow in the gullys. The Mynd looked the best option with snow to main road level.

I pretty much did the same tour as last time, up to the top of the golf course. The snow was light and powdery for the tour up, which just enough cover for turns on the way down.

I decided to chance a hike up the Lawley which can give excellent skiing with a 30^ grassy pitch. Unfortunately it had warmed during the morning and the snow was becoming humidified. I'd spotted a line on the 'face' which looked to have held a bit of wind blown snow and skied that. In the end it was hard work - colder temps, more snow and possibly more sheep are needed to make it an enjoyable experience.

Caradoc looked better from that angle and may have been skiable in the morning. A local who was up there walking yesterday suggested it was a goer...

^^ Caer Caradoc today. A hint of a line forming on the leeward side of the gullys.

^^ The track up to the Mynd.

^^ A few lines 'in the rough' on the golf course.

^^ Ring the bell before dropping in. In the background is The Lawley, with the track up the spine visible. I skied the face to the left where there is a hint of a line. The ridge line to the far (North) end should offer good prospects being well grassed and smooth. The problem is access to the parking which is up a narrow lane which is tricky when it snows.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 14-01-15 20:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Looks like most going in the rain. 3 house ago still white to valley floor, now only odd consolidated patches.

Would love to see pics. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy