Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

English & Welsh Skiing - 20/21 (New season name change)

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing near Holmfirth, West Yorskhire.

Village skiing, Netherthong, West Yorkshire from Carmel Parry
https://vimeo.com/57974542
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, Mike Pow, Cheers Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jakemanc, Good work. Barbed wire always looks scary. Glad they don't have it so much in the Alps !

Quite a few skiers and boarders on our local hill and I got an email from friend in the Village who's daughter wants some tips on where to board tomorrow. English & Welsh skiing going strong !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

^^ I couldn't resist a walk up to the top of our local deer park which encloses a ridge line to the North East of our village. The village side of the ridge is a little mellow. The problem is the other side is steeper but is overlooked by the gamekeepers cottage....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

http://youtube.com/v/V8vt2ymRK9U

^^ A short video from a couple of weeks ago on the Caradoc, as per the photo's earlier in the thread. Conditions were not great but hint at what could be with a decent fall of snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Back from Chamonix yesterday and there is more snow on the ground here. Drifting on the A41 Chester road must have seen it closed over night on Friday and the ploughs were running all day to keep it clear.

There is as much snow on the playing field in the village as at any time in the last few Winters and it still snowing now. I'll try and head up to the Wrekin for a walk later and ski tomorrow depending on how things look.

Up on the Shropshire Hills the web cam is showing a snow covered window so it's been snowing and windy again overnight.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good luck and stay safe
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, I had a walk up today and masses of snow with a lot of drifting and wind deposited snow on the lee side of the hill. Lots of trees broken and down with the weight of snow. It looks like it started pretty wet and the temps cooled as time went on. The beech woods I've had my eye on have a good cover but are wind loaded at the top. I'll try and get up tomorrow with the skis.

^^ Cornice starting to form under the NW lee side of the hill.

^^ A local boarder playing in the drifts.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

^^ I've had my eye on this pitch among the beech woods for a while but didn't really expect to be tree skiing in Shropshire. Not exactly Japanese powder but pretty good.

^^ Heavy snow pulling the plantation trees over.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wednesday 27th March 13.

After Mondays tree skiing(!) I was keen to head down to South Shropshire and see how the hills are looking. Commitments meant that it was going to be Wednesday afternoon after my last ACL physio appointment. It's one year since I popped it on the Off Piste bash and 10 months since the reconstruction.

^^ A quick peek from the A49 and the Western Caradoc gullies appeared reasonably filled in but I headed up to the parking between the Lawley & Caradoc which showed more filled in gullys on the North \ East side Caradoc.

^^ A snow shower rolled in during the walk up.

^^ The line was tricky at the top, heavy & wind packed. Lower down its thinned out and softened up to give some nice turns. In the photo above it's the filled in line bottom right.

^^ Next up The Lawley which looked loaded. A quick(!) walk up revealed a lot of wind deposited snow on the lee. To be honest I was a little concerned about the stability. According to the OS it's just over 30^ in places on grass with a lot of heavy snow. The first couple of turns were not encouraging so a easy traverse to softer, thinner snow was the order of the day. Easier for the dog too !

Shropshire seems to have an underground ski touring scene with tracks up the Caradoc and a guy setting up for some evening turns as I left.

All in all I suspect that Sunday or Monday would have been the best days but you do what you can.

snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well played
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, Cheers. How's Japan ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skinned up the horseshoe pass this morning (Llangollen north Wales) with the dog. Good 40min skin up to the top with a good 4ft of snow with a mix of wind scoured & powder. There were drifts well over 9ft to be seen.

Ella enjoying being out in the hills again. We have been hit badly with snow here the last week with 90% of the roads un passable up until the last 2 days.

Heading towards the summit.

enjoyed two nice runs down with the dog chasing my tracks back down.

A very tired pup after 2 summit hikes and runs back down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Mike Pow, Cheers. How's Japan ?

A little bit deeper than Shropshire but no more enjoyable than home turf turns Smile
ski holidays
depthjunkie, Good work. Llangollen is only about an hour from me.

http://youtube.com/v/1LBcUkGtHqg

^^ Some iffy video from last weeks walking up hill & tree skiing in Shropshire.
ski holidays
wow, what would be reasonable snow is forecast for the Shropshire Hills overnight. Perhaps it's not over.

Also, 16cm (Heavy Snow) For Pen-Y-Fan
ski holidays
Doing the happy dance.

Could be my first May turns in Wales.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/6day/top
snow conditions
Looking back to the start of this thread, English skiing kicked off last year in the Lakes at the start of November Madeye-Smiley Here's hoping for a repeat.
snow report
I'm still hoping to take the rock hoppers up Snowdonia, I missed it all last year. Only got until the first week in Jan to get the snow in though Puzzled
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, there is a great video of people skiing down Snowdon!!!
snow conditions
Cheers. I quite fancy Banana Gully on Y Garn, I've slogged up it so many times in deep snow.
latest report
Avalanche Poodle, I'm up for that. I've not ventured into north wales when it's white, but have spotted some very tempting lines during the summer Smile
ski holidays
Time for a 2013/4 thread?
snow report
Not quite time down south.

Down to 5 deg C last week, but Indian summer forecast for the next week or so.
snow report
20 degrees C in Kaerdiff today. Oddly warm for the back end of September.
snow report
As Tom has been known to say "It's not unusual".

I was swimming in the sea at Southerndown last October under 20 C sunny skies Very Happy
ski holidays
2013/2014 Season.

With the prospect of new snow I thought I'd just change the thread title rather than start a new one for the 13/14 season.

If you are in the Shropshire area, the Gliding Club on the Long Mynd has added extra weather data to the web cam feed, plus added a new URL which enables you to fetch the last 24 hours of web cam footage and weather data:

www.myndcam.com
www.myndcam.com/yesterday.avi

The live web cam is www.longmynd.com/HTML_pages/webcam.htm

No snow today Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/ygqSptnHcQc

April action from Snowdon this year posted by one of the local guides.
ski holidays
Loved that. Way to eek out every last cm.

The Carmarthen Fans / the Black Mountain area around Llyn y Fan Fawr in the Brecon Beacons National Park were close today.

Snowed most of the morning.

Supposed to snow tonight and firm up in colder temps.

Heading back over tomorrow for hopefully first turns of the season.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Fantastic - really enjoyed watching that.
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

Fantastic - really enjoyed watching that.

+1 snowHead
ski holidays
I was impressed by his choice of dog, a rare 'Welsh Mountain' if I'm not mistaken wink I'm looking forward to getting ours back out on the hill.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., Thanks for the Mynd link, I can see if it's worth heading out without leaving the living room now snowHead
ski holidays
Brilliant video. Out of interest which was did you come down? I don't seem to recognise any of it lol!
ski holidays
Loved watching the video skiing down Snowdon. Some really narrow sections and rocks!

Had a quick walk this afternoon on the hills and took a photo of the Berwyn Mountains.
ski holidays
Some good looking lines in the back there.
snow report
Yr Eira Gyntaf - The First Snow in the Brecon Beacons National Park

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2393079#2393079
ski holidays
robapplegate, If you go up give me a shout, I'm about 40 mins away from Church Stretton. I usually end up on The Lawley or Caradoc but noticed some possibilities this Summer off the Golf Course above Carding Mill Valley.
ski holidays
surfski, Where was the photo taken of the Berwyns ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy