Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

English & Welsh Skiing - 20/21 (New season name change)

Poster: A snowHead
I started thinking about the coming Winter after a weekend in Snowdon where I spotted some excellent looking terrain.

To get everyone in the mood I came across this you tube vid posted in a new 'British Back-country' Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/502879386398375/

http://youtube.com/v/XSd3WLzdANg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-12-20 20:11; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And this from Snowdonia:

http://youtube.com/v/K6newwOKniA
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow wow wow. Where is the Northumberland one shot, anyone know??? Looks like a great hill!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This a nice clip of some steeper skiing just round from the summit of Snowdon Happy

http://youtube.com/v/s-icY45BoDc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is that the tarn below the summit???
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AndAnotherThing.., cheers! I seem to have joined a new facebook group! Looking forward to the first opportunity to try out my new splitboard. Could that be in the UK....? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, According to the OS map \ google maps it's off the ridge to the left (looking up) from the main path to the top.

http://goo.gl/maps/09RhA

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-10-12 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great vids

Predominantly S Wales conditions here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2121850#2121850
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a good run off the summit of Helvellyn in the lakes to red tarn I know of. Steep and reasonable length, bit of a wet landing if you get it wrong though snowHead I'll see if I can find a video of it I'm sure I've seen one before.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skir67, That would be cool. We should start a google map thingy to ID some of the locations.

Presumably it's about here ? http://goo.gl/maps/HpvIH
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stunning Welsh footage, must remember to put my board in with the ice gear next time it snows.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
harrisontherabbit wrote:
AndAnotherThing.., cheers! I seem to have joined a new facebook group! Looking forward to the first opportunity to try out my new splitboard. Could that be in the UK....? Madeye-Smiley

Fingers crossed Smile The FB group is cool but I reckon it needs more English and Welsh content Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great TR from Helvellyn

http://mountaincircles.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/ski-touring-helvellyn-05-11-12_5.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow Cheers - I thought I'd hotlink a couple of the photo's from that report - lots of snow in the Lakes Smile

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^
That Helvellyn skiing mission looks magic. Little Angel
snow report
I was in the Lake District on Saturday and the summits were absolutely loaded wiith snow. i guessed a foot on the tops and those pictures suggest the same!!!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, the northhumberland one is on and around the cheviot by the look of it
snow conditions
I'm on a mission to suss out some grassy, skiable slopes on the North York Moors (ie our local wilderness area). It's proving quite challenging - though we could be talking farm field (served by public footpath) above Cod Beck Reservoir and ditto re. farm field near Roseberry Topping....Both short runs though.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, Yad Moss or Weardale, added bonus of a lift or two to get back up Smile
ski holidays
14th Jan 13 - Shropshire Hills.

Snow started to fall after I left our local hill and continued into the evening, and the prospect of some local skiing looked strong. My phone's suggestion that it was raining when I woke this morning wasn't a good sign.

Snow on the ground soon started to fade in the rain but it seemed cold enough that it was possible that it could be falling as snow higher up. Unfortunately when we got to the car park everything looked pretty green. We walked up anyway to be met with driving sleet & snow higher up. Even at the top (407m) there was only a thin covering of wet snow and slush to be had.

I might drive over to some of the higher hills tomorrow but the view across to them from the top didn't look encouraging Crying or Very sad
snow report
All gone in the Welsh valleys Sad

Beacons?
snow report
Mike Pow, I'll have to take a peep at the web cams. Not looking good here at all although there was slight evidence of drifting at the local dry slope this evening Laughing
snow report
We need more. I will be off work for 3 weeks now and if we get a fall will shoot across at a moments notice.
snow conditions
Scarpa, Cool. We should keep an eye on the hills by you too.
latest report
Looks like it's good to go

http://www.breconbeacons.org/pages/livewebcams
snow report
Live web cam on the top of the the Long Mynd Toofy Grin

http://www.longmynd.com/HTML_pages/webcam.htm

I'm guessing about 500m.
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., Never new that was up there, could come in handy.
Are you local to Shropshire too then?
ski holidays
Looks like Friday will bring LOTS of snow for England.

Could be a good weekend if you can get to the slopes?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, Only just caught your post. I've just tried to find the Web Cam at the Storey Arms but it seems to have gone ?

robapplegate, Yes, about 40 mins from the Lawley \ Caderoc & the Mynd.

hedley, Fingers crossed !!
ski holidays
I'm wondering if we'll have enough snow that I can take my twin tips to the skate park Very Happy
latest report
Sat and Sun look like the go

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/6day/top

Somebody please get after it.
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
I've just tried to find the Web Cam at the Storey Arms but it seems to have gone ?

Try here:

http://www.traffic-wales.com/cctvdetail.aspx?t=cctv&r=217.159.57.67_4001_1&x=297649&y=220472&s=&format=xhtml

Mike Pow, Looks promising, doesn't it? And for once, I might have a chance to get out there. Toofy Grin

If anyone's in the area, let me know.
ski holidays
harrisontherabbit, ta. I'd like to try and get down but think I'll struggle. Perhaps in the week.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.., Shame. Forecast looks promising for the next week or so though, with continuing snow and cold temps. snowHead
latest report
19th January 2013 - Shropshire Hills, Caer Caradoc \ The Lawley nr Church Stretton.

The overnight forecasts hinted that there would be more snow to the south of us so I decided to hear over to Stretton in the hope that some of the gullies on leeward side of Caer Caradoc might have filled in.

^^ Caer Caradoc. 550m.

I had a look at the gullies from the road and it didn't look good but The Lawley had possibilities. However the path looked a bit bear compared to previous years and the windward side of Caradoc hinted that snow had filled in some of the shallow depressions in the terrain tempting me to head that way instead.

^^ Caradoc looking South.

^^ The ridge line had caught some drifting and the locals were avi testing it with sledges. After checking the gullies from the top (bear) I skied the ridge line to the half way mark and traversed across to get at some tempting lines where the snow had filled in some shallow lines lower down.

^^ Tracks just visible to the left of the tree.

This gave some nice skiing (in comparison) in heavy snow, ended prematurely by the fence.

^^ and some locals.

A traverse & walk got me back to the car which I just managed to extract from the lane. It was still early afternoon so I thought I'd try the Lawley and have a look see. I'd forgotten how much hard it is to walk up these places with all the kit and the Lawley's taunting with false summit after false summit.

^^ The top of the Lawley.

Sadly there wasn't as much snow as expected but the grass is reasonably short and skied ok last time out. While getting ready a snowboarder walked up and we did the line together. Amazingly the guy was an Ex snowboard GS racer from the Czech Republic and watching him make his first few turns in as much as an inch of snow I can well believe it, very impressive. A second guy was out on ski's at the other end of the hill. A popular spot.

^^ The lines by Peter(?) the Boarder and myself. Not the easiest skiing in the world Laughing

A hard frost and a few more inches and it would be perfect...
snow report
Da iawn.

Great effort.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, A proper Powder Day on our local hill today. Report to follow snowHead
snow conditions
21st January 2013. Shropshire Hills, The Wrekin.

Having ignored the possibilities for The Wrekin the day before I had a walk up Sunday afternoon for a look see. The place does get very busy but some of the woodland paths provide an escape from the crowds and could offer some nice skiing when the snow really does come down. The Beech woods on the Western flanks could be fantastic when the time comes.

^^ Even so there was much more snow then South Shropshire. A few snowboarders were out and about dodging the walkers.

Snow falling steadily overnight promoted me to head over again first thing to be greeted with light powder on top of the 'pisted' walkers path on the way up.

^^ The top was wind blown and scoured in the mist.

^^ The sections below 'Heavens Gate' and especially 'Hells Gate' were lovely, with some fresh at the sides Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/Wginm1jsMw4

^^ Headcam footage of the run down. Just a couple of walking sections to avoid the rocks.
latest report
Some nice pics and film - well done for getting out and about on the skis. snowHead
ski holidays
Awesome. Chapeau
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy