Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Personal possessions insurance :~/

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking around for some insurance for a trip next year. Read through the forums and seemed to pick up that Dog Tag, Snow Card and Insureandgo seemed to be getting a good rep. But looking through the policies for paying out for personal possessions none of them pay out new for old so they'll only pay a percentage based on age your kit. Dog Tag's T&C pretty much don't pay anything for stuff thats 3 / 4 years old (I'm sure Dog Tag aren't alone on this) which is the majority of my kit. So if my kit got lost on a plane there's no way I could afford to replace it for the holiday or future holidays.
Does anyone bother looking for good personal possessions cover? Did I miss something? Or is everyone riding in better/newer kit than I am
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Johnhelliwell, if your stuff got lost on the plane then you'd claim from the airline/baggage handlign company, not your own insurance. I don't bother with the ski cover because mine are now over 4 years old so zero payout. On the slopes I might have a claim on my household insurance, but I'd have to check my policy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Johnhelliwell, asholidayloverxx, says, check your household contents policy, mine covers me for £500 of sports equipment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello,

This advice comes with a warning that it may be slightly against the rules (but who cares when its merely redressing the balance of a bent industry). Anyway the way I have always done it when I have had kit nicked on the slopes is to buy a new set of the same ski and binding and then claim for that set instead as then you have the receipt etc.

I will add a pre-emptive haters gonna hate this plan but I have always found it works fine.

Alternatively I have had several policies with Hiscox insurance and whiloe you pay more they deliver and excellent service and dont leave you in the lurch. A couple of years ago a rucksack "bounced out the back of a Landrover" (or more likely was removed) while I was in Africa and after some e-mails they paid out like for like when I sent them an itemised list of which I only had receipts for some items. They just asked that I reference my prices from known websites such as amazon.

Anyways hope some of my experiences help.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smokeyjack2000 wrote:
Hello,

This advice comes with a warning that it may be slightly against the rules (but who cares when its merely redressing the balance of a bent industry). Anyway the way I have always done it when I have had kit nicked on the slopes is to buy a new set of the same ski and binding and then claim for that set instead as then you have the receipt etc.

I will add a pre-emptive haters gonna hate this plan but I have always found it works fine.

Besides the fraud - isn't it really obvious that your receipt is dated after the theft? Or alternatively that you're representing that you bought a spanking new set up that happened to be nicked almost immediately?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Johnhelliwell, As lilywhite, says check your or if you live with your parents their home insurance policy for personal belongings which might cover you as well. Most insurance companies would expect you to contact them before you bought a replacement if you didn't they may not reimburse you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah the fraud ain't ideal. With the receipt for new kit you can only report the loss after you have bought the new kit. i.e. Kit nicked on a Monday, buy new on a Tuesday, report loss on Wednesday. Its not an ideal situation but it alleviates the issue of insurance companies under valuing your kit (which not all of them do). I once had a situation where the insurance company refused to pay out for skis that were more than a few years old which seemed quite silly as its not like they were of no value to me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smokeyjack2000, fraud definitely isn't ideal but deliberately deceiving the local cops is somewhat worse eh? I think, in fact I'm certain and others will agree, that you are a total tossbag snowHead

Anyway, asdide from that, why should you get new-for-old if you have had use of the item for a few years? ie you've "used up" some of its value.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 23-10-12 12:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, +1. he does seem to be somewhat unlucky or careless .....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Johnhelliwell,
Quote:

Johnhelliwell, asholidayloverxx, says, check your household contents policy, mine covers me for £500 of sports equipment.

Yep my Saga Shocked house insurance covers me for all sports equipment individual item up to £1,000

I did a lot of checking with them and they say its fine even if I had 10 pairs of skis stolen from my car in France I would still be covered
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, and his fraud costs each and every one of us in higher premiums.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have Santander Reward current account and that includes up to £500 cover for our own ski equipment (up to a max of £250 per item) but not on a 'New for Old' which is to be expected. A pleasant surprise if that we are also covered for up to £500 of hire equipment and £20 per day for hire kit if our own is lost, damaged or stolen.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
smokeyjack2000
I genuinely do hope you get prosecuted and imprisoned. You are a criminal.

Quote:

(but who cares when its merely redressing the balance of a bent industry).

I care, and loads of other people care as their premiums support your criminal activity.

Quote:

Yes, surprising as it may seem, many people don't approve of fraud. Weird that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wonder how oftern smokeyjack2000 buys skis and claims without the loss having actually taken place rolling eyes ?

suggest a name change to fraudsterjack2000
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
smokeyjack2000 wrote:
Anyways hope some of my experiences help.
Laughing
latest report
Comment about haters still stands.
latest report
smokeyjack2000, jeez, I clean forgot you'd pre-empted me. Best of luck with you career in crime.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy