Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in New Zealand 2013

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about going to New Zealand next summer to do a ski season somewhere in the South Island, from the end of May to the middle/ end of September, and I am wondering how hard it is to find work out there. I have saved enough for flights and lift pass and probably around 3 months of accomodation (not sure what accomodation prices would be but im not very fussy about living conditions). I am thinking Queenstown or Wanaka but I am open to other places in the south island that have access to skiing also.

If anyone can give me any advice on where to look for jobs or who anyone knows anyone out there who would maybe give me an interview for pretty much any type of job. Bar work would be preferable and I have over 2 and a half years bar experience and by the time i would arrive in NZ i would have over 3 as I am currently working in a bar. With regards to the amount of work I am pretty flexible but I dont really want something where I am working 5 days a week as the idea of saving up so much beforehand was to make this more of a working holiday to give me time to concentrate on skiing.

Also I have all my own ski stuff so dont have to worry about hire but in terms of costs is there any other costs people can think of apart from flights, visa, transfers from airport, lift pass, accomodation, food and drink money? If theres anything else please do let me know as I would prefer not to encounter any annoying hidden costs while I am there.

Any advice anyone has would definitely be welcome and I will check this forum regularly to keep up to date with what everyone is saying.

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-10-12 3:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
one word... wanaka!!

one more factor is getting up the mountain, you may want to look at buying a car then selling at the end of the season rather than relying on hitching. otherwise shuttles can get expensive. You can stay in most of the hostels long term - wanakabakpaka is good amongst others. Will be able to give you a bit more info when im not about to board a long haul flight (on my way home from nz NehNeh )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did a couple of seasons based in Queenstown mainly skiing at Coronet Peak.

Queenstown tends to be pretty expensive for accommodation particularly if it is quite a central place. Sharing a house with a few others will keep the price down. The winter festival week in early july is a bit of a nightmare for any accomodation including backpackers so I'd book that in advance if you think you may not have other rented accom by that time.

Although accommodation is pricey there are generally more jobs available but also more people chasing them!

There used to be a free classifieds ads board in the lower ground floor of the central shopping mall if that is still there it could be useful.

For a job you will need a visa most likely as when I was hunting that was the question I was most frequently asked first. I didn't have one but found an employer who paid me cash in hand Toofy Grin But I was very lucky there. Just ask everywhere and if you get a job which doesn't give much scope for skiing take it anyway and then look for a better job as at least you will have money coming in in the interim.

I'd get there early and get hunting for a place to stay and a job as you will have a lot of competition for both. Hitching to coronet peak used to be easy but the remarkables was harder mainly because there was just less traffic going up there.

If you can get a job working for the ski field operator then your transport to the hill will be sorted.

Good luck wherever you go, I had a couple of great winters down there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pcurran871,

I imagine bar work will be easier to find in Queenstown than Wanaka, but either would be a good choice.

The other place I would recommend is Methven, the base town for Mt Hutt. The conditions are more variable there but they normally have a longer season than the resorts further South. It is also easy to get into Christchurch when you feel the need to get away for a day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done 4 seasons instructing in Queenstown and love the place, much more going on than Wanaka, though Treble Cone (near Wanaka) probably has the best skiing.

For work, you really just need to show up early in the season and hit the town with a ton of CVs with you, very few places bother hiring in advance as there is so many people looking there. If you have a good bit of experience you should be fine though. For accommodation check the paper as soon as it comes out, as again there is a lot of competition.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had considered getting a car but I wasnt sure how expensive it would be to buy and insure a car for 4 months. From my research it seems queenstown has the best nightlife and the most going on for jobs and stuff. Mt Hutt was also somewhere I plan on spending some time shredding also. Is there any kind of season pass you can get for the shuttle buses or anything? I think the earliest I can arrive in NZ is the 27th of May which im hoping would be early enough to get accomodation and a job sorted.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In Queenstown you can get a season pass for the buses, your season pass could also cover Mt Hutt if you wanted to do a trip there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so it is possible to get an upgraded season pass for Mt. Hutt? Would the season pass for the buses also cover travel to Mt. Hutt? Also does anyone know NZ law on car insurance or anything? Is it the same as UK law or what differences are there?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For info on the Queenstown /Mt Hutt pass deals go to http://www.nzski.com NZSki operates Coronet Peak,The Remarkables and Mt Hutt and they have a few different pass packages. They also employ lots of people each season so keep checking their site for when they update the employment section. If you work for them you won't need a lift of bus pass.

To have any chance of work you will need a work permit

As others have said come to town early to get reasonable accommodation. A free advertising paper called "The Lakes Weekly Bulletin" is good for finding somewhere to live.

Come on down you will have a great time and even do some skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yea I should be able to get a working holiday visa which allows me to work in NZ while I am there. I am definitely going somewhere in the South Island I just want to gather as much information as I can before I make a decision. First day I will arrive I will be going into all the bars in the town and start handing out CV's and hopefully get a chance to talk to the managers of a few places as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have now checked when I finish up with uni in May and because Easter is early thus year it means I will be able to fly to New Zealand on the 25th or 26th of May. Will this be early enough to arrive there or when does the season typically start in resort?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First resort to open in Queenstown usually opens at the end of the first week of June. Wanaka mountains usually open a couple of weeks later.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're definitely going, flick me a PM nearer the time, and I can put you in touch with people that take on seasonal bar staff, Queenstown, Wanaka, or further North in Canterbury.

Bar work is hard to get in Queenstown especially, but if you go for it, make sure your CV is good, and that you are really well presented, employers get the pick of the bunch, so looking like a dropkick won't get you anywhere.

If you're going to be near Mt Hutt, you will probably find it a bit easier to get a job in hospitality - less people around that area looking, and it's bloody hard to get decent staff.

You don't need car insurance in NZ, but if you crash into someone elses car, you pay, which hurts a bit if its a shiny one that you damage.

There are buses that run up to Hutt every day, but hitching is easy from Methven or the bottom of the access road. $2k will get you an old banger that should get you up and down the hill OK. Have a look at www.trademe.co.nz for an idea of what you can get for your money.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm also thinking of doing this after my season in La Ros.

Sounds quite the effort with no real guarantee of work. Hmmm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pcurran871,

If you're serious about this I'd be biting hang11's hand off if I were you. He's offering you a major shunt to the front of the queue.
ski holidays
I have about 7 years of bar work experience with 3 of those in supervisory/management roles.

Hang11 - Would I be right in saying this counts for nothing unless you are there handing out CVs in the weeks leading up to the start of the season?

My girlfriend and I are really keen to go and will be finishing my winter season around the first week of May as well. The risk of landing their with nothing obviously concerns me a bit...
snow report
With bar experience you should be fine. You just need to be in the right place at the right time, with the right visa. If you don't have a work permit, forget it. The bars in Queenstown do it tough outside of the busy season, and only really recruit when they get busy - which realistically is late June. There's a few large groups that run a good chunk of the bars in town, and some of those will run a recruitment day to see people as the season kicks off.

parkesy, if you were going to be around Mt Hutt area, feel free to get in touch with me - less nightlife than Queenstown, but I'm usually looking for experienced staff, so would be happy to get you in for an interview.

It's very unlikely anybody would give you a job offer before arriving. The exceptions are for really skilled roles - IT, surveyor, some building trades etc, where employers can't get staff.
latest report
And remember NZ is a bloody expensive place to live!
snow conditions
hang11, I would definitely appreciate any help you can give me with getting a job. I already saved up the money over the summer so basically all I have to do is get my visa. What would be the best time to get back in touch? I didnt realise you dont need insurance in New Zealand which means I will probably just buy a cheap car and sell it at the end of the season. I have already started with making specific cv's for bar work but also for other roles such as catering and hospitality roles just in case. Queenstown Wanaka and Mount Hutt were the three on my list but now that its easy to get a car it means that I will probably just locate to whichever of the 3 places I can get a job and after that I can drive where I want to go.
snow report
pcurran871, if you are going to be near Mt Hutt, any time you arrive, let me know via PM. It's where I'm based and I run pubs, restaurants etc. I can't offer you a job over the internet, but happy to have a chat and see if anything would suit you. Mid Canterbury is a lot quieter than Queenstown, but arguably better access for snow. If you are heading to Queenstown, then early June is the time to be there to start looking for work, aiming to be earning by the end of June. Queenstown is where the ski resort/nightlife vibe is and its a great town, but fairly commercial and the mountains are great fun but can get more crowded. I can give you some names/email addresses of people in the right businesses that are recruiting around that time down there if you need.

Queenstown is a 4 hour drive from Mt Hutt. Mt Hutt to other fields is a fair bit closer. If you can handle rope tows and T-Bars, have a look at www.chillout.co.nz for the club fields. Just my opinion, and others will disagree, but they are the real deal when it comes to NZ winter fun, and all mainly local to Mt Hutt.

boardiac, It's surprisingly expensive, especially if you are paying to heat a house with electricity and buying all your food instead of being semi self sufficient.
ski holidays
Interesting.... I didn't find Queenstown expensive compared to other 'Resorts'.
I would say the prices were comparable to prices in Towns here in the UK.
The exchange rate is good for UK visitors too.
Plenty of happy hours in bars and Supermarkets on the edge of town were certainly cheaper.
Hostels are a good option to stay in. They are of a general good standard.
Good way to meet people and hear about jobs and accomodation too.
Lots of businesses also bring round flyers everyweek promoting offers.
I stayed in hostels and pretty much lived off Ferg Burgers...lol
They take half an hour to eat...they are that big...seriously. Laughing
snow conditions
Hang 11

I would love to talk about this nearer the time if thats possible. My heart is set on coming over your way almost immediately after my season in La Rosiere Very Happy

Thanks for the offer of a chat sir, I will be biting your hand off I can assure you.

Laughing
latest report
The exchange rate is terrible with uk pounds heading too NZ and has been for a while.
At one time it was $2.50 and even shot up to $3.00+ dollars per pound now its $1.95 -$1.90 per uk pound.
Nz skiers will be over here in europe.
snow report
Well nearly $2 to the £1.

When Bars are often charging $5 for a pint, that's £2.50... not too shabby for a ski resort.
latest report
spud, you are right. 2.50 for a beer is definitely not unreasonable for a beer. It would be double that in a french resort.

hang11, I will definitely get in touch nearer the time and thank you for the information.
latest report
One other question I have been wondering about... Where are the best parks in New Zealand. I'm not necessarily needing a huge pro park just something for progression which have big enough kickers and rails that I can learn a few new inverted tricks and some new jib tricks.
snow conditions
Snow park, near Wanaka is by far the biggest. Remarkables, Cardrona, Roundhill and Mt hutt usually put on a decent effort, with Remarkables being the flashest out of that lot.

I would never sell a pint for $5 Very Happy

$9 minimum Very Happy Queenstown is having a bit of a price war in some bars, but others are a lot more expensive, depends where you go drinking.

When I came back to NZ from the UK, I got $3.6 to the pound. It was bloody great, sold my house and brought some savings back with me.

When I was in the UK last year, it was about $2 to the pound - I found London surprisingly reasonable - almost came home with half the money I expected to spend left in my pocket, then I let on to Mrs Hang11 that we were a bit better off than expected, so she went shopping. She did a good job at making $10k evaporate in a few days.
snow report
pcurran871, I did not mention that NS Ski runs all the bars, restaurants on its mountains so you may want to think about that. You may be able to get a supervisor/manager position with your experience and they do recruit early from their web site Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all this information.

Does anybody do skype interviews beforehand? I feel like my experience is extensive and would certainly be going for assistant manager roles in NZ like pcurran871

Having said that, I would do whatever it takes... Well not anything Laughing
snow report
Have only visited a couple of times and really enjoyed myself - although do not expect the skiing to be comparable with Europe. Stayed with British friends who were doing the season. I lived in North Island at the time.

He lived in Arrowtown due to expense of Queenstown. She worked late shift as a nurse in a clinic thus skied every morning. He worked as a window cleaner and in a ski shop. House mates worked in kitchens at a County Club near Arrow Town. One season had fab snow and the next a disappointment. Bought a car in Auckland then drove down, which was sold for same price on return.

Queenstown has a good vibe. There are good night out which can work around all the Happy Hours. However it Becoming very expensive. You will meet lots of Antipodeans - Australians! Too expensive for Kiwis.
ski holidays
parkesy wrote:
Thanks for all this information.

Does anybody do skype interviews beforehand? I feel like my experience is extensive and would certainly be going for assistant manager roles in NZ like pcurran871

Having said that, I would do whatever it takes... Well not anything Laughing

You could have a go at registering with a specialist hospitality recruiter - try the recruitment network or buzz recruitment, but it's unlikely - plenty of choice for employers at the start of winter in the bigger ski towns, so they don't go out if their way to find people, or take a chance on them not turning up.
snow conditions
Just going to hop on this wee band wagon if you don't mind; does any one know if masseuses are in high demand on ski resorts? Im a qualified massage therapist and ive been thinking about heading to Mt Hutt. I have never done a season so I think it will be interesting, especially since I'm now an old fart. I haven't organised ANYTHING yet, I will find out if I'm made redundant it 2 weeks (I'm a receptionist and the company is either going to be sold or liquidated) which is why I chose new Zealand, it will give me time to move back home with my father ( ....oh god) and save up for the season.

So if any one knows someone who wants a massuse, I'm your lady!
snow conditions
Sarge McSarge, I will take a look at NS Ski and see what they have.

Thanks for all the information everyone. Just applied for my working holiday visa which got accepted so next step is booking flights I guess and then finding accommodation and a job when I get there!
snow report
hi there everyone! im also planning to do my first season in queenstown 2013, il be 23 by then, from the UK and looking for others to talk to before i go for maybe a house share situation? iv heard that works out cheaper! also if anyone reading this is a part of the bar scene over there i have 5 years bar work experience with some as an assistant manager when the boss was gone will this be enough to get a job comfortably? obviously i understand it is a competitive market

cheers guys!

Ollie Very Happy
ski holidays
Look - nobody's saying it because of the 'PC' issue but I think you should know. The reason the whole area is getting expensive is ...... Hobbits. There, I've said it so can we please now have a sensible conversation about some of the downsides of trying to find work in the South Island. IF you happen to be less than 5'5'' then you should be OK but anything over means you will ineviatbly be banging your head in half the places that will offer you work. It's the same problem with accomodation. And try to find a cobbler!

For the last few years Hobbits have been coming from all over, buying up land, requiring all sorts of special foods and drink supplies for their large parties and generally distorting the whole clothing and entertainment industries. If you are unusually tall this can be an advantage as some of the richer Hobbit families think it amusing to hire 'tallers', as they are known, in various functions incuding human climbing frames for the packs of virtually feral hobbit kids.

The whole area is gradually shifting over to a bucolic, hobbit economy. If you are a magician they may cut you some slack but otherwise it's conform or move on.

So, how tall are you?
snow report
Bumping this thread quite a bit but wanted to ask a question which someone may be able to answer?

I believe the NZ ski season starts late May/early June? With this in mind and if I was not able to arrive until early July, would I struggle to find (any) work?

hang11, from experience, do you or people you know in the industry still look for employees this late into the season?
snow conditions
Have a look at http://www.snowseasoncentral.com/queenstown for advice on getting a job and working a snow season at resorts in New Zealand, including Queenstown and Wanaka. Mt Hutt was mentioned too and it's not a bad place for a quieter season www.snowseasoncentral.com/mt-hutt has information on working there for a season.
Queenstown will be easier to find bar work than Wanaka simply due to its size. But I agree that Treble Cone (closer to Wanaka) has some of the best terrain in New Zealand.
In terms of money, definitely save up an extra 1000 on top of what you think your budget will be.. Apart from the things you've mentioned, you'll find a bunch of extra costs like travel insurance and bond. Plus, once you get there, you'll no doubt want extra gear when something breaks or isn't good enough, as well as money to go travelling on your days off - eg. if you're in Wanaka you'll probably want to check out Queenstown at least once, and vice versa.
You can still get jobs in June in the towns like Wanaka and Queenstown as a lot of places don't start hiring until then. However, the hill jobs will mostly be taken as they hire earlier so it's riskier to go over hoping to do Lift Operations or something like that, and the club fields will also be filled up by June.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy