Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Map of ski resorts europe

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

Does anyone know where you can get a paper map with the location European ski reports on?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a complete answer and a bit of a long shot but a few years ago I got hold of a map of French resorts from what was probably a tourist board stand at the NEC Ski Show. Perhaps there is a downloadable one on a tourist office website.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Google and a printer?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Moonman wrote:
Hello!

Does anyone know where you can get a paper map with the location European ski reports on?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

www.j2ski.com is prolly a damn good start.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't quite remember where but somewhere I visited did several relief maps showing various areas of the Alps, perhaps even all of Europe. Damn where was it. It might have been Zermatt perhaps, good excuse to go there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or Grenoble perhaps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
Google and a printer?

Numpty.

Are you looking after something like this:

http://skimap.org/

http://skitrailmaps.org/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This was linked on a thread a few months ago, that I can't seem to find again - has some great maps of the French Alps resorts: http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1345470285_Guide_Station_BAT4-optimise.pdf

Or the same people have an online map here (once you click 'view map'): http://www.savoie-mont-blanc.com/en/offering/search/ski-resorts/16/~~~~~~~/%28page%29/1

Edit: added link to 2012/13 version instead of last years.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I made this google map last year, which is quite handy: http://duncang.com/skidata/map-all.html

I also have a pretty decent map of the dead-tree type from Stanfords in London, they're worth a look if that's what you're after.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fixx, likewise(!) We had a great A3 print out on the wall... damned if I can find it again.

This might help in the meantime: www.bycar.com/bycar/resorts.htm
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are looking for detailed info for off-piste routes, this is a good place to look...

http://www.freeride-map.com/?lid=2&cid=200
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
duncang, Great map!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom W, +1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
duncang, you are miissing the Jura resorts, and also Pra-de-Lys, and some of the smaller Chablais ones Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and Les Sept Laux and the Les Sybelles resorts. Reasonably sized ones. Looks good though.
snow report
and Kaltenbach, Fugen in Zillertal valley. Isola in French Alps....
Very nice map though. Seems like so many resort so close to each other.
snow report
Yeah, I cribbed the geo data from another website and just plotted it with nicer markers. The set of resorts is limited to whatever they had available as coordinate pairs. I too noticed that a lot of resorts were closer than I had imagined. It's amazing how many of the most popular resorts are clustered so close to one another in the southwest corner of the Alps there.
ski holidays
http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx

Bit under a tenner for a paper copy. Has the additional bonus of showing rail access too, if you cared about such things.
latest report
Quote:

I too noticed that a lot of resorts were closer than I had imagined.

you missed Areches-Beaufort which would fill a nice big gap near Beaufort. Only 50kms of piste, but some excellent off-piste.

It all depends what you want a map for, doesn't it? A paper map showing all European ski resorts would be so small-scale as to be completely useless for almost anything, including driving there.
snow report
duncang, Great work!!!! (especially if you update it according to criticisms above. You could do with more on the Sella Ronda area - Crvara and Val Gardena for example)
I have bookmarked it for future reference.

Serriadh, looks useful - I've just sent off for one.

Now we need something like that for other ski areas of the world.

There IS a world map on Timmaah's first URL (more detail on it - including all Scandinavian and Scottish resorts - when you zoom in)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 22-10-12 14:38; edited 7 times in total
latest report
Quote:

It's amazing how many of the most popular resorts are clustered so close to one another in the southwest corner of the Alps there.

Because that bit has a load of big hills? Not very amazing that there's a load of ski resorts in the area when you think about it. Laughing
snow report
duncang, Valmorel is waaaaay off and you've missed a truck load from the Maurienne.

Pick up a load of French resorts from here:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1345470285_Guide_Station_BAT4-optimise.pdf

The map on pages 4/5 is also available in a huge paper version for, I think 10 euros, from many tourist information bureaux.
ski holidays
Quote:

Pick up a load of French resorts from here:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1345470285_Guide_Station_BAT4-optimise.pdf

How? You need coordinates to be able to plot on a map.
latest report
Quote:

Because that bit has a load of big hills? Not very amazing that there's a load of ski resorts in the area when you think about it.

The whole of the Alps consists of big hills, and there are bigger mountains than the ones in that immediate region. What I'm specifically struck by is the number of resorts that are particularly popular with British skiers that are within about a 30 mile radius. I never realised how close they all were till I saw them plotted out.
snow report
altis, I have fixed Valmorel. I'm sure there are many, many resorts not shown - it's not a comprehensive list, but just a set of geo data matched to resorts from a weather website that I found; it would have been prohibitively time consuming to try and plot them all manually myself. Take it for what it is.
ski holidays
Moonman, ADAC (the German AA) do a ski guide each yeah which you can buy as a book .... take it from me, it's a serious book!!! Here it is online.

www.adac-skiguide.de

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
Kersh wrote:

www.adac-skiguide.de

That's pretty impressive - even has all the lifts and runs marked! Better than most ski areas' own maps.
Does seem to be missing some major areas though: nothing shown in 3V! (But does show Tignes/VdI). Puzzled
latest report
I am wondering if the ADAC piste maps (and the site it is using as its source: outdooractive.com) are using data from http://openpistemap.org/

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49252
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FreeBeer, I don't think so, as there are runs/lifts on openpistemap which are not on adac (e.g. 3V already mentioned) and also runs/lifts on adac which aren't on openpistemap (e.g. Niederau & bits of Ski Welt, Austria).
latest report
I was thinking about starting a thread like this but more specific about the actual resorts rather than where they are in Europe.

I always hire ski's and like to know exactly where the hire shops are in the resort before i go as their location generally influences where i hire them from.

Before anyone says google i have looked into this and cant find a decent resort map of les arc 1800 where i can mark on the ski hire shops and hotels etc. I know it wont be very far to any of the hire shops - but i just like to plan these things out before i go.

so links to good printable maps of les arc 1800 would be appreciated.
thanks.
snow conditions
RobW, you need to zoom in as they have a better coverage when you get closer - they are all there! I have the book sent to me every year, but I may stop that now and just use Kersh's link. Brilliant resource in either form to be honest as well as totally impartial. snowHead
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Where? To which site/resort are you referring?

On Adac, there is nothing in Courcheval/Meribel/Val Thorens, or in Sauze d'Oulx/Sestriere/Sansicario (but Claviere/Montgenevre is there). Even if I zoom right in there is nothing. It could do with a little updating too: around Westerndorf the Choralpbahn in missing and the lift up from Brixen is marked as "Project 08/09", and the Ellmau-6er to the top of Hartkeiser above Ellmau is missing too.

On openpistemap, Elmau-6er/Choralpbah and Brixen lift are there, but if you head a little west to Niederau, whilst the lifts are all shown (including one which is no longer there!) none of the runs are marked.

And yes I agree they are both brilliant resources, but they need to be used in conjunction with the official piste maps to ensure you have the complete picture.
snow report
RobW, The ADAC site. I found them by zooming in on the area the 3 Valleys resorts are in just south east of Moutiers. They are quite definitely there! You can also put the name into the search box (Suche) and the map zooms into the place you ask for 8if you have spelt it correctly.

I think you are intepreting things a wee bit too literally, no one has suggested using them instead of the actual uptodate piste maps! The number of layers in these maps makes it fairly hard work to keep right up to date, especially when you take into account all the changes that take place in all the resorts each season let alone in a year.

Ski Amadé has a good web app that you can download for free to your smart phone - something of that nature needs to be done by each resort rather than a global agency like the ADAC. I use the ADAC Ski Guide to plan, then go to the individual web sites. Once in resort I rely on the free maps which are easily available.
ski holidays
Sue, Thanks, but I know very well where the 3V are, sufficiently so that I don't actually need a map to get around Toofy Grin but for some reason the pistes/lifts there don't show for me on adac. Maybe it's a browser issue (I'm on chrome) but it works elsewhere.

I wasn't suggesting using them instead of the actual uptodate piste map, and indeed pointed out that one shouldn't . But quite a few people prefer topologically correct maps and bemoan the fact that very few resorts provide them themselves, so knowing about adac and openpistemap is of great benefit to those people.

Now if only all the resorts could get together and update a central resource with their new lifts/runs each year.....
ski holidays
RobW, I'm on chrome too (also on alcohol) and 3V is right there, as Sue says. Did you try looking in France ...?
snow report
Like RobW, I couldn't find any info on lifts/pistes on, e.g., Val Thorens. If you look at Schladming, for example, lifts and pistes are very clearly marked - as they are in Megeve and Chamonix, two French resorts I picked out at random. But nothing in the 3V (well, just the roads, not much help in this context) unless I've made some very elementary error. Very good for the places that are in there, though. I'm using Firefox.
snow report
www.adac-skiguide.de will show the locations of 3V resorts, but like mentioned no lifts/pistes.

You can see lifts and pistes on http://openpistemap.org/ . Quite fascinating how close they are to Paradiski, Tignes etc.
snow report
If you go to the Skigebiete (ski area) tab you will find all the info you would want for planning if you speak/read German. It is actually aimed at the German speaking market, so I suppose that is to be expected. I can't imagine the RAC or AA offering more than English as their language of choice Laughing

I've found all the detailed piste maps that are included in the book version for the resorts that you said you can't find. It helps that I am familiar with the book layout and am fluent in German though.
snow report
Mr Moonman,
The SkiRail Map of the Alps is a paper map which shows the location of over 400 ski resorts in the Alps (with a specific focus on 120 which are accessible by train).
More info is available here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
and you can see a sample of the map in the Lake Geneva area here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx
HTH
Neil Neige
ski holidays
Quote:

If you go to the Skigebiete (ski area) tab you will find all the info you would want for planning if you speak/read German

but those seem to be the standard "official" piste maps, rather than the very interesting topographical versions there are of some French resorts (but not some of the biggest) on the links discussed earlier. I wonder what informed the choice of resorts which ADAC would represent in that way? Megeve is a pretty minor player compared to the 3V, after all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy