Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter skiing? (beginning of april)

Poster: A snowHead
Where would be a good place to go skiing in the first week of april? preferably somewhere drivable from london.
thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just pick somewhere high in the Alps and you will be fine, Les 2 Alps at Easter last year was great once you got up above the village and great even down to the village after a massive powder dump mid week and Snowheads will be off to Val Thorens for the EoSB at the end of April.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobbieShamrock, any preference on country?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well i guess france would be the best option as we're driving, but any close to the french border should also be fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can drive to Austria in about the same time and it's cheaper as no auto route tolls (well a small one in Austria)

But in France, most resorts in France with higher skiing or north facing slopes will be fine for the first week of April, eg Espace Killy, Deux Alpes, Trois Vallees, La Plagne, Les Arcs
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BobbieShamrock, hmmm drivable from London... I'd go for Hemel!...
There's no snow round here... never... nope.. nothing... wink wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are lots of options available. We have driven to the Alps almost every year for 20 years to enjoy easter skiing. The resorts have included:

Les Arcs
La Plagne
Val d'Isere (yet oddly not Tignes)
Courchevel 1300 and 1850
St Martin be Bellville
Les Menuires
Verbier
Zermatt

Sometimes the trips have been very late in April, sometimes almost mid March. On every occasion we have been able to ski back to the resort and on most occasions had at least one fall of fresh snow. I would say all are suitable for Easter skiing.

The drive is very straightforward and takes about 9 - 10 hours from Calais, but you do appear top have to share the road with all of Belgium
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobbieShamrock,
I have been for the last twelve years or so at this time though living in Scotland I have only driven one of those times. Most years you do not actually need to be particularly high to get excellent skiing early April as long as a fair bit of the skiing is North facing. There is the occasional year like two years ago where height pays off. Finding accommodation is rarely a problem.

A lot of the places listed above will come in a bit pricier than lower areas but all should offer decent skiing. I have had excellent skiing in the Maurienne valley and Serre Chevalier though the latter is a bit of a further drive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In France (can't speak for Austria) Easter is low-season skiing, with plenty of accommodation available. I'd be inclined to hang on and see what the snow is doing, then book accommodation at the last minute. Easter is very early this year and in an average sort of year many lower resorts will still be pretty fully open, with plenty of good skiing. It's more important to find somewhere with slopes with a variety of aspects (the sun-facing ones will soften earlier, the east-facing ones will be a better bet in the afternoon) than to aim for somewhere very high altitude. My apartment is at 1550m on a south facing slope - and even two years ago we could still ski down in early April.

It's a great time of year to ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Plagne - although I am biased!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At the risk of getting stoned to death by the Francophiles I've had better late season skiing further east - with Davos being my preferred choice.

Fairly drivable at that time of year when the days are longer...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

At the risk of getting stoned to death by the Francophiles

the Francophiles don't do stoning - you will search high and low through SHs for any such manifestation, though there are plenty of examples of the reverse prejudice. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Thank you for putting me str8. I'll take your word for it rather than searching the archives (if any)

As you say, no chance of the Gallic masses picking up one of the rocks that poke thru their so-called-pistes and lobbing it over at the smug bugs still effortlessly gliding down the billiard-table like meadows that constitute Austrian slopes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobbieShamrock, Portes du Soleil ? We were skiing powder on closing day 22nd of April last season in Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

We were skiing powder on closing day 22nd of April last season in Avoriaz.

yeah but..... last year snow was exceptional. Bet you weren't doing that on 22 April 2011!

If you MUST book in advance, for some irrational sort of reason, it would be best to aim for somewhere with a fair bit of high altitude skiing (not just one bit, which everyone in the area will head to if conditions are poor). But if you can wait, you might well be spoiled for choice.
snow report
pam w, this is mid April 2011 under 2000m and not France!!

http://youtube.com/v/iNYz8qvIjEE&sns=em
ski holidays
kitenski, nice film! Yes, at that time the weather was definitely better further east. Unpredictable stuff, weather. That's why it's best to wait till the last minute for Easter bookings - plenty of accommodation available, though flights can be expensive from the UK, with school holidays.

I was skiing down to 1500m in mid April though the snow was not in good nick.

Stuben is fairly high compared to many Austrian resorts though, isn't it? the higher ones in France were doing better too, though it was a poor end of season generally - I posted a picture of a picnic beside a chair lift in Les Houches on 1 April, with nothing but grass all around (though the bottom of LH/Chamonix is, of course, very low altitude). That was en route through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Italy - the temperature was over 30 degrees in the Aosta Valley. Shocked
snow report
I went to L2A last April and although when we arrived in Resort there was 0 snow (a little worrying when you first arrive), there was good skiing at the top as there is a glacier. So I think L2A would be worth considering
ski holidays
Sambo, That's an unusual user name?
latest report
St Martin de Belleville is surely a bit low for April.
snow report
Had a great time in St Martin de Belleville a couple of years bago in mid April, lots of fresh powder at the start of the week and getting a bit heavy on the return run at the end. When the snow was heavy/slushy and I was tired at the end of the day I just got the telecabine down. First thing in the morning jeruselem was just perfect for a blast.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy